Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crushed Limestone Path

Options
  • 20-07-2020 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

There are a few public paths/trails around here covered with a fine grey grit that looks like crushed limestone. I imagine the dust and grit thrown up on chains and gears might cause wear and damage? I tend to take to the grassy verge whenever possible at the moment. Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

woody33 wrote: »
    There are a few public paths/trails around here covered with a fine grey grit that looks like crushed limestone. I imagine the dust and grit thrown up on chains and gears might cause wear and damage? I tend to take to the grassy verge whenever possible at the moment. Thoughts?

Don’t think it’s limestone but I’d clean it anyways

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

woody33 wrote: »

I regularly mix in a bit of gravel riding into most of my spins and I'm pretty sure shortens chain life. While I doubt the fine crushed rock though ist going to cause problems it is good idea to give your chain a quick clean after a spin, particularly if it has been wet or muddy. If you're on rim brakes, give your rims a wipe as well. Beyond that, I wouldn't be too concerned. I also tend to use cheaper chains these days on the basis that I know I'm going to be replacing them more regularly. I think of chains and cassettes as consumables like tyres and tubes.

Advertisement