Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple unsolicited calls recently

Options
  • 21-07-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I've been receiving calls from various UK telephone numbers (mainly 0330) about online trading recently.

I did not opt to receive such calls and don't know how they got my number.

Does anyone know if there's been a hacking incident of any institutions which might hold such details recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I get similar, possibly the same. They refuse to tell you who they are so the chocolate teapot of a data protection commissioner we have here refuses to enforce anything, even when they call from an Irish number.

Two times they've claimed to be in Switzerland; the name they say is just "Global Markets" which is about as specific as a shop called "shop". They have far too much data on me for it to be safe to play along to try get more info.

This has been happening on and off for five years, so whatever leak they got it from was longer ago than that. I would vaguely suspect a flogging off of a customer list from one of the banks that ceased to be during the crash - I used a few of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I was getting a spate of them a couple of times over the last few years. Get them every couple of days for a week or two, then they'd give up.
    They'd be different UK numbers each time but only differing in the last couple of digits. Found a call blocking app on Android that let you specify a wildcard and just blocked them all, that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Every day the first call on the very morning is from an Irish number, then its starts calls from UK, sometimes from other countries like Norway.

Advertisement