Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls to make stealing a dog more serious than property theft

Options
  • 21-07-2020 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

New laws should be drafted to make it a more serious offence to steal a family pet, a Fianna Fáil TD has said.

Wexford TD James Browne said he plans to draft new legislation to give more legal status to dogs and other pets to ensure those who steal them are given tougher sentences.

Pets are considered property and their theft is punished in the same way as if someone steals any non-living object, such as a mobile phone or a power tool, Mr Browne said.

"The current law does not reflect the emotional harm that can be caused to victims of pet theft. The penalty for pet theft should be more severe than for the theft of a non-living property," he said.

Mr Browne's proposal follows gardaí warning about an increase in the number of dog thefts during the Covid-19 pandemic.

There is no specific code on the Garda Pulse system to record the theft of animals.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/demand-to-make-stealing-a-dog-more-serious-than-property-theft-39384211.html

In my opinion, it nearly has to be treated as serious as kidnapping. It’s the only way to potentially stop it. The criminals doing it have no concept of the bond a person can have with a dog.

It is devastating to some people and the heartbreak they go through losing their best friends. I’m staying off Facebook because lately it just seems to be really distressed people missing their dogs. That auld farmer fella in Wexford losing his poor dog recently was the last straw. It was very upsetting.

With a large increase in the number of pet dogs being snatched, the government need to enact legislation so the Gardai can clamp down on it and nip it in the bud now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    In my opinion, it nearly has to be treated as serious as kidnapping. It’s the only way to potentially stop it. The criminals doing it have no concept of the bond a person can have with a dog.
    I agree with this. Although not human a pet is a family member and needs extra protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I would fuuking kill anyone who took our dog from us.

(sorry for not adding anything to this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Politicians blocked legislation in the past to control puppy factories, so I'm not sure how far this will go, though I would welcome any advance on what we now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

KevRossi wrote: »
    Politicians blocked legislation in the past to control puppy factories, so I'm not sure how far this will go, though I would welcome any advance on what we now have.

A lot of people aren’t capable of properly looking after and giving adequate care to their dogs. Pets in general, really.

I used to live beside a nice widower who had a beautiful golden retriever. He spent his days in her coal shed whining and eventually, spluttering and coughing. Poor dog had zero quality of life.

We need to seriously look at the model which allows people to breed dogs for profit from people who really shouldn’t be allowed have a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I would fuuking kill anyone who took our dog from us.

(sorry for not adding anything to this thread)

You would, yeah.

• Advertisement

I’d be all for this new legislation. The story about the dog and her pups being stolen and them cutting the chip out of the mother and dumping her. I wouldn’t piss on those kind of people if they were on fire.

The emotional torment to both the pet and the owner is much much more than someone coming into your house and stealing your laptop and some jewelry. A pet is part of a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    A lot of people aren’t capable of properly looking after and giving adequate care to their dogs. Pets in general, really.

I used to live beside a nice widower who had a beautiful golden retriever. He spent his days in her coal shed whining and eventually, spluttering and coughing. Poor dog had zero quality of life.

We need to seriously look at the model which allows people to breed dogs for profit from people who really shouldn’t be allowed have a dog.

It would be far better to beef up enforcement of animal neglect and mistreatment, along with closing down mom-and-pop puppy farm operations and a public information campaign about the responsibilities of pet ownership. A ban on advertising dogs for sale would be useful.

Basically people with time on their hands right now and money burning holes in their pockets are responsible for demand for dogs going through the roof and the resultant thefts to feed that demand.

Guess what is the likely fate of lockdown pet purchases when most people get back to full time work and schools restart? Yep that's right, the shelters have to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Guess what is the likely fate of lockdown pet purchases when most people get back to full time work and schools restart? Yep that's right, the shelters have to pick up the pieces.

No guessing.
    It's already started.

Advertisement