Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working with lime walls?

• 21-07-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all

Confused about what I should do in this old house. The walls are stone and brick in places, lime mortar used here and there and cement mortar in places to re-point (I know they shouldn't have!).

So the first assumption is that lime based mortars need to breathe? But is that only when they are wet? So therefore an upper floor internal wall doesn't need any lime mortar or special lime render etc? It can be dry-lined or cement plastered?

With outside walls, if you have the space couldn't you fix a frame to the wall and put insulation and plasterboard on to that? Or would you need a gap (a timber stud an inch away from the wall?

I read about using 'limecrete' lime based concrete floors - but if the wall or floor is breathing moisture upwards, won't that rot or at the least loosen any floor coverings like wooden or tiles or at the least make some horrible smells e.g. carpet?

Doesn't the use of lime mortar in a wet environment like Ireland encourage pests like woodlice and silverfish who thrive in damp?

How are we ever supposed to use paints on a lime plastered wall if it's encouraged to 'breathe' - won't that just keep resulting in flaking and chalky walls?

Maybe I should demolish the whole house!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Lime is always best on old buildings, but sometimes old buildings have had cement added and are ok. If new buildings didnt have features like cavity walls or other features that allow water to drain off they would need lime too.

Huge numbers of old cottages have been drylined and drylined improperly. If it is done carefully its not so bad. But its possible to use breathable board products now.

A well built and maintained house with lime should not have silverfish or woodlice. Just like a cement house.
    I am not an expert in hempcrete floors but I dont think you have the floor standing in water. It sits on a gravel with insulation properties so not standing water.

Traditional whitewash flakes but high quality breathable paints dont.
    Hard to say if the cement on inner upper walls is an issue. Is there signs of damp in the wall?

Advertisement