Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Cable Issue

• 21-07-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey, not sure where best to post this so Mods can move if required....

I need a telecoms engineer to fix/install some internal wiring for me but have NO idea where/how I would find one??

I have a "no mans land" between the Eir exchange and my phone port in my apartment (well, it's not really no mans land as it's technically the property managers remit but they refuse :rolleyes:) and essentially need someone to install new cabling.

Anyone able to give any guidance on who I can get to do that - where would I start?? Is there companies that work with private residences, rather than companies?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You need a better understanding of what you need.

Eir will supply cables up to the telecom room/area in the complex. Then cables go from there, to each apartment. And engineer will ensure that the cables are patched from the local exchange, to the apartment telecoms room and then into the apartment.

Eir should be responsible up to the handoff in the apartment.
    Technically the management company is responsible for cabling heading up to your apartment, as your space exists within the apartment.

If Eir has come out and said there is a problem, then where did they say lies? You can have a ton of "other" cabling issues.

Like there simply being 50 cables to the apartment, with 60 apartments.
    Or 200 ports in the exchange, with all 200 already active.

If its within the apartment complex, its a crap shoot but any "electrician" can run telephone cable. Getting it from the basement to the apartment could be a 10 minute job, or a couple of hours with holes in walls throughout the place. Like I said, crap shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

The Eir engineer said that the cable that runs from exchange to my apartment is basically fooked. If I remember correctly he indicated that within the cable there's blue, red and green wires. The blue would be the primary one used, the red is secondary and the green would pretty much be the last resort. (This is my general understanding of what he said). My connection was using the green wire (both blue and red were already beyond use) and now this wire is kaput too. So it's not possible to establish any kind of connection.

Pretty much everyone says the Mgt Company (Sherry Fitz) are responsible, however in my intermittent communication with them regarding this over the last 2 years (that's how long I've had this issue) they repeatedly deny that it's anything to do with them. They have just told me they've never had this issue before, no one else has this issue and it's nothing to do with them. I've asked Sky to send me something in writing to say that they can't fix the issue it's down to the Mgmt Co but they refuse to send me anything so basically they can't fix it but they won't help me fix it either. :(

The way our apartment are is that there are little/no communal areas (90% of apartment are own front doors) so there's no large communal exchange. Each block has 6 boxes on wall relating to each apartment so there's individual connections for each phone exchange.

I have been on to Sky, ComReg and Sherry Fitz and not really getting anywhere fast, HOWEVER, I had a bit of a breakthrough today when Sherry Fitz contacted me this afternoon to say that (for the first time in 2 years!) that they are sending an engineer out tomorrow to have a look! Wooop woooop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get an electrician to do it for you, he should have no issues doing it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Blocks of six dwellings like that should have very little internal cabling. Normally theyd be problem free. Its the larger developments where you could be 5 stories above the comms room that are the real problems.

Officially a private sparks probably shouldn't work in the communal areas via you but most could and probably would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

HiGlo wrote: »
    I have been on to Sky, ComReg and Sherry Fitz and not really getting anywhere fast, HOWEVER, I had a bit of a breakthrough today when Sherry Fitz contacted me this afternoon to say that (for the first time in 2 years!) that they are sending an engineer out tomorrow to have a look! Wooop woooop!

So, did he arrive?
    Any result?

• Advertisement
Advertisement