Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sourcing septic pipe elbows and joiners (unions)

• 21-07-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect a couple of lengths of black septic pipe.
    It measures 'roughly' 1.5 inches in diameter, however conventional 1.5 household elbows and unions are too small, so I think it's slightly wider - I think the thickness of the pipe is the problem, it's substantially thicker than the white PVC fittings. Here is a (not very good) picture of the pipe with a ruler showing it's 1 5/8" inches across. I *think* it's 40 or 45mm in inside diameter. The ruler is old, it's graduated in 1/16" ticks and is read right-to-left in the photo :)

Any idea where I can source elbows and unions for such pipe? Some kind of supplier of septic pipe & fittings? Thanks

pipe-ruler.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Think what you have there is actually water pipe, seen it used with a macerator and pump to connect to a septic tank. May not be the case for you but I'd go and take a look at the Philmac water pipe fittings that all builders merchants will have (not necessarily that brand).

This might be what you want http://www.philmac.co.uk/products/?pg=1&pid=139 for a joiner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Think what you have there is actually water pipe, seen it used with a macerator and pump to connect to a septic tank. May not be the case for you but I'd go and take a look at the Philmac water pipe fittings that all builders merchants will have (not necessarily that brand).

This might be what you want http://www.philmac.co.uk/products/?pg=1&pid=139 for a joiner?

I went to the local supply that did have a bunch of philmac fittings. They didn't have one that fit this. They, in fact, said to find a plumber to source the materials.

Seems to me that the water pipe is thinner and more flexible than the pipe I've got. I've done some work with 1/2" philmac pipe, it's thinner walled than this stuff. Very frustrating not to be able to find it! I think what happens is they use heat guns on it to soften it to wrap around other rigid PVC, which is my last resort I guess.

All those water pipes are made in different grades. 1/2 inch standard looks nothing like 1/2 inch heavy for example.

Traditional Irish bodge is to heat it up and put a copper pipe inside and for a really posh finish use a couple of jubilee clips :)

I'm still convinced its some form of inch and a half water pipe or metric equivalent. Neighbor uses that size on their pipe from a pump in a holding tank to pump toilet waste to the main septic tank. All joints made with Philmac fittings.

Any markings on the pipe itself?

All those water pipes are made in different grades. 1/2 inch standard looks nothing like 1/2 inch heavy for example.

Traditional Irish bodge is to heat it up and put a copper pipe inside and for a really posh finish use a couple of jubilee clips :)

I'm still convinced its some form of inch and a half water pipe or metric equivalent. Neighbor uses that size on their pipe from a pump in a holding tank to pump toilet waste to the main septic tank. All joints made with Philmac fittings.

Any markings on the pipe itself?

Love the 'posh finish' idea - I won't go into how elsewhere in the yard jubilee clips are in use.

I'm leaning towards trying a philmac joiner in 1.5 inch, something like this in 1.5" diameter. Do you think that'd work? Price is surprisingly dear (33 Euros!)

Have you tried taking a bit of the pipe into a local Glambia? They normally have the larger Philmac coupling out on the shop floor to take a look at and try. There are now plenty of other brands that do similar couplings so no need to pay for the premium price ones although Philmac do work and survive well.

One thing to note with the Philmac fittings is that there are a variety of adapters for them so you may find something that is too tight or too sloppy a fit because you are trying a imperial pipe in a metric fitting or visa versa but you will probably find that there is a different insert (extra cost) that will be the exact fit.

Another test would be to compare you pipe to this https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hardware--Equipment/Water-Piping--Accessories/1-12normal-Gauge-Ldpe-Polythene-Piping-150m-Roll-0831211

• Advertisement

Have you tried taking a bit of the pipe into a local Glambia? They normally have the larger Philmac coupling out on the shop floor to take a look at and try. There are now plenty of other brands that do similar couplings so no need to pay for the premium price ones although Philmac do work and survive well.
    Sadly, they had 1" and 2" diameter only, and told me to find a plumber :(
    One thing to note with the Philmac fittings is that there are a variety of adapters for them so you may find something that is too tight or too sloppy a fit because you are trying a imperial pipe in a metric fitting or visa versa but you will probably find that there is a different insert (extra cost) that will be the exact fit.

Another test would be to compare you pipe to this https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hardware--Equipment/Water-Piping--Accessories/1-12normal-Gauge-Ldpe-Polythene-Piping-150m-Roll-0831211

I called the wholesaler (south coast sales.) Seems like what I need to do is get the local hardware store to order it for me and go from there.

Igotadose wrote: »

I called the wholesaler (south coast sales.) Seems like what I need to do is get the local hardware store to order it for me and go from there.

You sure your local builders merchants don't keep them?

You sure your local builders merchants don't keep them?
    Closest I've come has been 2" and 1" connectors at the local farm coop; they're the ones that said to call a plumber. The other hardware vendors sometimes carry 1/2" and 3/4" philmac connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what part of the country are you in

what part of the country are you in

Dingle Peninsula

• Advertisement
Advertisement