Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing phone line from old alarm

• 21-07-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

I'm looking for help in disconnecting my phone line from an old, obsolete alarm.

When checking my phone bill, I noticed that there were about 10 calls every evening to 2 numbers - presumably the alarm company (phonewatch).
    The panel has been dead (i.e. no lights etc) for a few months, so I assumed that there would be no phone issues either. I planned to dump the panel as it no longer works.

I disconnected the power, and removed the backup battery.

I then unplugged the phone line going into the back of the control panel. However, that stopped my phone line from working. It uses a standard RJ11 connection with 6 wires.
    I assume something in the alarm box is "looping back" the phone line to my main normal phone socket. Even though the panel has no power, I thought the autodialler might be powered by the line itself. I won't know if this is the case for another month when I get the next bill.

So - is there any way to bypass this, maybe by connecting some of the phone cable wires together, so I can remove the panel permanently ? If possible, I would prefer to avoid messing with the main phone socket where my phone is plugged into. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, F.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭altor

Cameraman wrote: »
    I'm looking for help in disconnecting my phone line from an old, obsolete alarm.

When checking my phone bill, I noticed that there were about 10 calls every evening to 2 numbers - presumably the alarm company (phonewatch).
    The panel has been dead (i.e. no lights etc) for a few months, so I assumed that there would be no phone issues either. I planned to dump the panel as it no longer works.

I disconnected the power, and removed the backup battery.

I then unplugged the phone line going into the back of the control panel. However, that stopped my phone line from working. It uses a standard RJ11 connection with 6 wires.
    I assume something in the alarm box is "looping back" the phone line to my main normal phone socket. Even though the panel has no power, I thought the autodialler might be powered by the line itself. I won't know if this is the case for another month when I get the next bill.

So - is there any way to bypass this, maybe by connecting some of the phone cable wires together, so I can remove the panel permanently ? If possible, I would prefer to avoid messing with the main phone socket where my phone is plugged into. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, F.

Once the system is powered down it should not be dialing out.
    If you knew which of the pair was the phone line going into the connector you could disconnect and join to the returning pair as the system should be wired for line priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

altor wrote: »
    Once the system is powered down it should not be dialing out.
    If you knew which of the pair was the phone line going into the connector you could disconnect and join to the returning pair as the system should be wired for line priority.

Thanks - I think I've identified the two pairs, so should be able to bridge them with two small jumper wires.

The alarm system was displaying no lights - so I assumed it was powered down - but the autodialler must still have been working. I've now removed the fuse and backup battery.

Advertisement