Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to dump a small bit of construction material

Options
  • 21-07-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently renovated a room and have some plasterboard and wooden studs left over that I need to get rid of. I have a van and I'll be able to load the stuff into it but I cant find anywhere that deals with the disposal of construction waste.

Anyone have any recommendations, I dont want to have to pay for a skip to take it away if I can help it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm not even sure you can put plaster board in a skip. It's not permitted in landfill and incinerators can't handle the acid load so recycling is the only option as far as I know.

Contact your local recycle centre and they'll advise you I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I'm not even sure you can put plaster board in a skip. It's not permitted in landfill and incinerators can't handle the acid load so recycling is the only option as far as I know.

Contact your local recycle centre and they'll advise you I'm sure.
    My local recycling centre wont even take wood and when asked where to take it the said they didn't know.
    I've put plasterboard in skips before and I've seen builders fill skips with waste plasterboard so it must be allowed to some degree.
    I just dont want to pay 150 quid for a small vans worth of stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

seannash wrote: »
    My local recycling centre wont even take wood and when asked where to take it the said they didn't know.
    I've put plasterboard in skips before and I've seen builders fill skips with waste plasterboard so it must be allowed to some degree.
    I just dont want to pay 150 quid for a small vans worth of stuff :)

Why not drive your van to one of the recycling centres ( if you are in Louth there is ine in Swords/Malahide) - a van can bring a load of ‘bulky waste’ for about e16 or so and dump in one of their huge skips - its about e8 for a carfull. They don’t accept polysterine but so long as you say its a garage cleanout ( just say houseclearing bulky waste if they ask) you should be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It won't be correctly treated with that type of approach though. It would be better than dumping it in the mountains I suppose.

It's worth searching if there's somewhere able to recycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Break it up and get rid of it over a few weeks in your grey domestic bin.

• Advertisement

It won't be correctly treated with that type of approach though. It would be better than dumping it in the mountains I suppose.

It's worth searching if there's somewhere able to recycle it.
    Yeah I want to get rid of it responsibly but I cant seem to find a lot of info about how to go about it.

Why not drive your van to one of the recycling centres ( if you are in Louth there is ine in Swords/Malahide) - a van can bring a load of ‘bulky waste’ for about e16 or so and dump in one of their huge skips - its about e8 for a carfull. They don’t accept polysterine but so long as you say its a garage cleanout ( just say houseclearing bulky waste if they ask) you should be fine.
    It may come to this alright, Kinda baffling that there is nowhere closer to me that does it (Dundalk)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I had this when done up my house a few years ago, had to just use the black bin, slowly but surely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

washiskin wrote: »

That seems to only be for construction companies. You have to register for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement