Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse injured in cruelty incident

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

be good to keep an eye on whatever jeffrey dahmer wannabe did this, guaranteed he'll move on to long pig sooner or later.

I've spent most of my life living in flat complexs, I've some of them were seriously classed has no go areas. Which they weren't.
    But in my life time many many years ago, a teenager (I seen it to late to stop it) setting a pigeon on fire and I watched as the fireball flew pass me. Well I couldn't get my hands on the ¢unt because he jumped a fence. He couldn't understand why I wanted to hurt him, so through the fence I asked him would he like me to burn him, and he reply was why would I do that to him. So I asked why he set the pigeon on fire and he just shrugged his shoulders. I never seen the little ¢unt again, he got arrested and got locked up, within two weeks of his sentence he was found dead in his cell. And everytime I think of that story I think his death was justice for the pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The education system in darndale teaches us that we can be anything we want to be, without teaching us how, some of us have parents that tell us we cant have stuff we cant afford but some have parents who say **** it why should me my granny and my kids be poor, you see kids on scramblers or horses or wearing them apple earphones or jackets because that's what is advertised to them, nobody advertises hard work or getting a civil service job or anything other than getting something shiny.
    There are horse burners in every part of society but a fella who was born in that deserves a bit of understanding rather than a fella who was offered everything and stabbed a slow girl and threw her stuff In a reservoir but who will get the most flak?

No, they don’t. This is not someone stealing a loaf of bread to feed their family. Everyone in this country gets a free education and there are plenty of supports.

The second half of your paragraph is presumably referring to Graham Dwyer? The man is universally hated so not sure how you can say he doesn’t get the same flak?

Both him and anyone who would burn a horse are evil ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Collie D wrote: »
    No, they don’t. This is not someone stealing a loaf of bread to feed their family. Everyone in this country gets a free education and there are plenty of supports.

The second half of your paragraph is presumably referring to Graham Dwyer? The man is universally hated so not sure how you can say he doesn’t get the same flak?

Both him and anyone who would burn a horse are evil ****s.

Did anybody ask for D4 or wherever to be crop dusted when Graham did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

It just baffles me that urban horses are allowed in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

ronivek wrote: »
    WALL_ART_EVERYDAY_LIFE_9528.jpg
    See https://www.offthewallirishphotos.com/everyday-life-in-ireland for more interesting photos.

Ballymun literally was 'the wild west' at times; well known for its horses. It's quite a bit better these days thanks in part to a lot of regeneration work that has gone on.

This idea that there aren't severely disadvantaged areas with significant levels of crime and antisocial behaviour is clearly nonsense; as is the idea that every single person who lives in these areas is automatically a criminal.

I suspect that even quite a few of the 'criminal' sort would also not take very kindly to someone setting a horse on fire. Disgusting behaviour.

Gods how old is that pic, I probably went to school with some of those kids or their brothers! Yes there were a hell of a lot of horses in both Finglas and Ballymun at the time, Smithfield market had a lot to do with that, most of the kids looked after their horses well and there were a few charities and community 'leaders' who helped out. A lot of the neglect that happened unfortunately was due to ignorance rather than malice, and the few scumbags that did do some nasty things to horses were often dealt with by other horse owners, I can remember actually seeing one of them being strung up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did anybody ask for D4 or wherever to be crop dusted when Graham did that?

I’d ignore the original poster who typed that, most rational people do. And a mod has amended the title anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Gods how old is that pic, I probably went to school with some of those kids or their brothers! Yes there were a hell of a lot of horses in both Finglas and Ballymun at the time, Smithfield market had a lot to do with that, most of the kids looked after their horses well and there were a few charities and community 'leaders' who helped out. A lot of the neglect that happened unfortunately was due to ignorance rather than malice, and the few scumbags that did do some nasty things to horses were often dealt with by other horse owners, I can remember actually seeing one of them being strung up!

I seen a fella being put under a horse before and the horses arse being clattered for something trivial when you compare it to setting a horse alight

Collie D wrote: »
    I’d ignore the original poster who typed that, most rational people do. And a mod has amended the title anyway.

But...but.. i was just getting properly indignant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Odelay

Don't believe it.

DSPCA in particular have form for making outlandish claims, very similar to this, that were later disproven.

The law of parsimony, Occam's Razor, is a good law. Simple explanations should be preferred. The simple explanation here is of an accident.

So you think the horse became malnourished, full of worms and set him self on fire all by himself? You think that is the most logical explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Odelay wrote: »
    So you think the horse became malnourished, full of worms and set him self on fire all by himself? You think that is the most logical explanation?

Bizarre way of thinking.

Anyone who has any dealings with these areas know these urban horses live a pitiful existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Kylta wrote: »
    Hopefully they can save the horse,

The overwhelming majority of impounded horses will be destroyed. It say the animal’s chances will be slim to nil unless somebody expresses an interest in taking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"The most disadvantaged area in Dublin"
    It's disadvantaged because it's got too many scummers living there.

biko wrote: »
    "The most disadvantaged area in Dublin"
    It's disadvantaged because it's got too many scummers living there.

Oh, well that's that then, let's just bomb the place back to the stone age! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Enforce existing legislation.

Say a 3-month period to give people time to chip horses, then once the grace period expires, every and any horse without a chip is impounded and not released until the price of chipping, and a fine, is paid, and there's only a short window to do that before the animal is destroyed/rehomed/placed beyond reclaiming.

osarusan wrote: »
    Enforce existing legislation.

Say a 3-month period to give people time to chip horses, then once the grace period expires, every and any horse without a chip is impounded and not released until the price of chipping, and a fine, is paid, and there's only a short window to do that before the animal is destroyed/rehomed/placed beyond reclaiming.

Chip the horse for free! There is no point fining people who probably can't afford it! And before people say if they can afford a horse they can afford a fine, that's bollox you can go down to smithfield market or whatever it's current equivalent is and get a horse for the price of a few pints. Before corrupt local and government politicians started selling off all the green space to greedy developers and lining their pockets there were plenty of places to keep and look after horses! I know a couple of pretty successful jockeys who grew up riding horses in Finglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Oh, well that's that then, let's just bomb the place back to the stone age! :rolleyes:

Nah just throw the usual suspects on an island..... preferrably somewhere in the artic circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Chip the horse for free!
    Nope, they can pay to chip the horse before claiming it.

Destroying the animal would be free though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Horses must be legally chipped , have a passport and be registered as being kept at a suitable premises.

I own a horse and would love to have a few more , but I can’t afford them . I was working for 12 years before I could get one. If you can’t afford to keep an animal properly , then you shouldn’t have it , plain and simple .

Horses must be legally chipped , have a passport and be registered as being kept at a suitable premises.

I own a horse and would love to have a few more , but I can’t afford them . I was working for 12 years before I could get one. If you can’t afford to keep an animal properly , then you shouldn’t have it , plain and simple .
    Yeah that's grand, but most of us who've kept horses couldn't afford them.

I'm talking about rural people here. My Dad used to joke (except, it was true) that the cattle were there to pay the rent for horses. That's a fairly common scenario wherever horses are kept.

The truth is that most small breeders are not making a profit from horses. So can we put a stop to this nonsense that urban horses are somehow in a different category to your average farmer (who really shouldn't be breeding pointless halfbreds anyway)? Hardly any of the best breeders can afford to keep horses. That's a known fact.

As a horse person yourself, I know you'll appreciate the point that horses do not care about aesthetics. Whether an animal is kept on common land beside the canal, or in a meadow in North Tipp, matters not one jot.

The worst type of horse owner you will ever encounter is the guy who owns one single horse, and treats that horse like a baby. These people are unbearable. They are too precious about their horse, and horses generally.

When it comes to animal welfare, you have to be pragmatic. Is the animal distressed? Is there any point in destroying an animal simply because you disapprove of the conditions in which it is kept? I have observed plenty of animals kept on wasteland in Dublin, and not once have I seen a horse in real distress.

Ponies, in particular, are amazingly robust.

We need to put a stop to this extreme sensitivity, and consider what social advantages might pertain to young men and women keeping horses, and the focus and the discipline which they might learn from such a valuable endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wouldn’t take a big bomb!

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement