Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A grain of salt...
    Plenty ‘English’ tractors (etc) have been imported from France to the UK, for further export into Ireland. I know of several UK dealers gathering a couple of loads a week out of here for eventual export to Ireland.
    Lads thinking that they bought the ultimate bargain UK tractor (off a large estate!) could be looking at a tractor that originated off a small French farm...

One popular Irish dealer has been sourcing huge numbers of tractors from here with years...all supposedly British.
    Methinks dealers are using Brexit as an excuse to hike up prices. French/Irish trade lines are as smooth and seemless as ever and French 2nd hand tractors are cheaper than UK tractors as per usual.

From what i gather 2 things going on ,dealers bought up last autumn in the UK in case duty went on tractors and anyone on the covid payment cannot get finance for 6 months so i have been told.i wouldn't think theres any shortage at the moment but i cant say what 6 months into this will be like but it has to do more with the buying habits of the uk farmers than anything else.if brexit turns out ti be a s##t show for uk farmers tractors will get scarce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Has anyone the tanco Bale shear, have a MF 4355 here and like the look of it, with the cashels/Rohan one for the 7 months of the years you're not using it the rams are in the open position unlike the Tanco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

You would want to be.very sure that the bale slice would always do as it says on the tin and catch and release netting and twine.

I have dry chopped silage. Bales are on the flat on the clamp. I take the front circle of plastic off them before starting. I spoke as low as possible. I take bales to the front of the cattle pen. This is the only time I have to get down for each bale and I remove plastic and netting. Back on he tractor I place bale on ground and spike it around the half way mark. I lift the bake and shake the bale falls apart about 2/3 is usually on the ground but sometimes less.

I place what is on the spike in front of the pen and push in the bit on the ground. The two tine bale spike bale came for about 220 euro. I have a CX90. I never have weights on the back.

That's exactly how I use bales too. Doesn't always work with wet bales taken from surplus paddocks etc. Too flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A grain of salt...
    Plenty ‘English’ tractors (etc) have been imported from France to the UK, for further export into Ireland. I know of several UK dealers gathering a couple of loads a week out of here for eventual export to Ireland.
    Lads thinking that they bought the ultimate bargain UK tractor (off a large estate!) could be looking at a tractor that originated off a small French farm...

One popular Irish dealer has been sourcing huge numbers of tractors from here with years...all supposedly British.
    Methinks dealers are using Brexit as an excuse to hike up prices. French/Irish trade lines are as smooth and seemless as ever and French 2nd hand tractors are cheaper than UK tractors as per usual.

That would be noted in the registration book though. If they bring it into UK and re-reg it there it would have a new current reg plate - most of the ones I see have period correct plates on them.
    I'm not doubting you - I just never thought about it - plus the PUH always seem to be well worn on the ones I've seen (do they use PUH in France?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A grain of salt...

What's France/ Europe like for farm sized loading shovels. Say jcb 412s or tm310/320 sized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

And by that stage that tractor will be what, 30 years old? Hold it's value maybe but that depends on a buyer being available, and those buyers are getting more and more scarce.

Well, I wasn't actually suggesting that someone actually does it, your money is safer in a bank. There will always be a buyer for a clean 390 though, I can see them becoming like the John Deere 6910 and 7810 where clean examples are increasing in price, although its much harder to find a clean 6910 or 7810 than a 390.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Well, I wasn't actually suggesting that someone actually does it, your money is safer in a bank. There will always be a buyer for a clean 390 though, I can see them becoming like the John Deere 6910 and 7810 where clean examples are increasing in price, although its much harder to find a clean 6910 or 7810 than a 390.

See in classic tractor clean 1995 2wd 390 made 18.2k sterling no loader 3.5k hrs farmer clearance sale (€20 ? Not sure if that is ex vat)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Anyone have any experience of FBN tyres and machinery?

Has a good few adds up on done deal of what appear reasonably priced tractors....

Just wondering if they are sound to deal with or is it a stay clear job...

This is a link to one add

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26034134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

And by that stage that tractor will be what, 30 years old? Hold it's value maybe but that depends on a buyer being available, and those buyers are getting more and more scarce.

I purchased a 30yr old tractor year or two ago. 130/150hp, needs to been dyno'd. Does all heavy field work. I would have a buyer in the morning for it if I wanted and if anything it has gone up in value.

Ford/New holland 40 series are starting to creep back up in value. As are decent sub 130hp 10 series JDs.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants a safe investment if they have 15-20k sitting in their bank account, try to find a late 390 or 390T with no loader, under 5k hours, and in good original condition. If you park it up for 5 years, and sold it on, you would get a much better reare theturn your money than any interest rate offered by any bank at the moment.

Are they not becoming fairly useless on alot of farms.their productivity is just too low

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

timple23 wrote: »
    I purchased a 30yr old tractor year or two ago. 130/150hp, needs to been dyno'd. Does all heavy field work. I would have a buyer in the morning for it if I wanted and if anything it has gone up in value.

Ford/New holland 40 series are starting to creep back up in value. As are decent sub 130hp 10 series JDs.

120-130 hp seems to be where the real sweet spot is for a farmer's tractor these days. Tidy enough around a yard and big enough for any field job too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

K.G. wrote: »
    Are they not becoming fairly useless on alot of farms.their productivity is just too low

Far from useless on a 100 acre beef farm (like our own) where silage and slurry are contracted out. IMO, ad blue has increased the life span of the 70-100hp 4 cylinder stock man tractors from the late 80s on on wards. Many farmers want fairly simple tractors, that anyone can work on without needing to hook it up to a laptop. The cost of the ad blue technology has driven up the cost of new tractors, as they say a rising tide lifts all boats, and its also keeping the price of second hand tractors high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Far from useless on a 100 acre beef farm (like our own) where silage and slurry are contracted out. IMO, ad blue has increased the life span of the 70-100hp 4 cylinder stock man tractors from the late 80s on on wards. Many farmers want fairly simple tractors, that anyone can work on without needing to hook it up to a laptop. The cost of the ad blue technology has driven up the cost of new tractors, as they say a rising tide lifts all boats, and its also keeping the price if second hand tractors high.

I wouldn't say it's much of a smart investment to buy one now though at the value they are at being so high. Agreed on the rest of your post though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Far from useless on a 100 acre beef farm (like our own) where silage and slurry are contracted out. IMO, ad blue has increased the life span of the 70-100hp 4 cylinder stock man tractors from the late 80s on on wards. Many farmers want fairly simple tractors, that anyone can work on without needing to hook it up to a laptop. The cost of the ad blue technology has driven up the cost of new tractors, as they say a rising tide lifts all boats, and its also keeping the price of second hand tractors high

There does seem to be better value on the adblue tractors alright. Post 2013.

Yeah i suppose.you could call them the modern 135

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone following YouTube ye may have seen an ex pat in France showing a zetor he was asked to sell by a widow across the road.
    Said he put it up on DoneDeal and it was sold very quick to Tipperary.
    Had a hay turner going the same journey to Ireland.

I'm beginning to think we're like the Poland of western Europe. Small farms and a great market for ag machinery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

K.G. wrote: »
    Yeah i suppose.you could call them the modern 135

Don’t you be knocking the 135... ;)

Got a ‘new to me’ tractor there a while ago - 2wd 65hp yoke...

So far, I would say my old 135 is far better and more nimble... on muddy, greasy stubble anyways...

At one stage I was half debating trading in the 135, but am glad I didn’t to be honest...

Don’t you be knocking the 135... ;)

Got a ‘new to me’ tractor there a while ago - 2wd 65hp yoke...

So far, I would say my old 135 is far better and more nimble... on muddy, greasy stubble anyways...

At one stage I was half debating trading in the 135, but am glad I didn’t to be honest...

Not liking the Zetor then? What are the tires like on it? The older ones were savage at pulling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not liking the Zetor then? What are the tires like on it? The older ones were savage at pulling.

No, I like it - just she’s a bit more helpless than I expected in a very wet field...
    Now, she’s 2wd with a loader, so that wouldn’t help...
    The 135 whilst being bossed about a bit, kept moving, the zetor just sat down and started spinning :(

Oh - got to the bottom of that PTO clutch light coming on - the cause was an 8 year old toe kicking the hand clutch, simple enough in the end ha :)

Edit - tyres are very good. Someone said maybe pumped too hard and letting some air out would help...

Although to be fair, she was much better now today when the field was dry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

No, I like it - just she’s a bit more helpless than I expected in a very wet field...
    The 135 whilst being bossed about a bit, kept moving, the zetor just sat down and started spinning :(

Oh - got to the bottom of that PTO clutch light coming on - the cause was an 8 year old toe kicking the hand clutch, simple enough in the end ha :)

Edit - tyres are very good. Someone said maybe pumped too hard and letting some air out would help...

What size are front tyres?

Really all 2wd’s with loader’s should have 7.50 or 10.00 front tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2wd tractor with loader here and honestly they should only be out in the driest of weather on fields. Too much weight out over relative small wheels, plus lifting all the weight of the back end.

We have a similar sized 80hp 4wd amd the difference on soft ground is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

endainoz wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's much of a smart investment to buy one now though at the value they are at being so high. Agreed on the rest of your post though.

It’s a bit like Elvis and Beatles memorabilia. They peaked 5-10 years ago because the fans started dying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭gk5000

Has a good few adds up on done deal of what appear reasonably priced tractors....

Google them will give comments in another forum....
    In any case, have ur wits about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Neighbour bought a second hand import from a local dealer.....tractor still not cleared so he can’t tax it.....the dealer told him he cannot clear it atm due to COVID....he bought it in October.....neighbour hasn’t pushed until now. No issue with dealer, long time around and good reputation. Is the dealer correct or fobbing him off. Tks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Neighbour bought a second hand import from a local dealer.....tractor still not cleared so he can’t tax it.....the dealer told him he cannot clear it atm due to COVID....he bought it in October.....neighbour hasn’t pushed until now. No issue with dealer, long time around and good reputation. Is the dealer correct or fobbing him off. Tks

Id be ringing the NCT centre and finding out.....i know people who moved home roughly that time last year from the UK and they got their cars cleared ages ago

Edit: also come to think of it,i passed the nct centre one day ,and seen tractors up on a lorry,presume it was VRT they were there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

As far as I know, a revenue official would call to a dealer to vrt a few cars or tractors at a time. A private individual has to present the vehicle at a designated nct centre to get it cleared.
    So, maybe the revenue aren't calling to dealers during covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

We had this issue last year. Purchased UK tractor from established dealer in late Feb. There was a delay till it was cleared and then quite a while till dealer could reg it. Onsite visits to dealer required both times from the relevant officials. Covid was to blame for the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

gk5000 wrote: »
    Google them will give comments in another forum....
    In any case, have ur wits about you.

I think the silence here says it all, I seen that other thread alright, was wondering if anyone had a more recent experience but I think I’ll look more local

I think the silence here says it all, I seen that other thread alright, was wondering if anyone had a more recent experience but I think I’ll look more local

Try a PM to someone local to the area, Brian, Neks, Albert or Lady H, might be able to share some local knowledge by PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

PM sent

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Try a PM to someone local to the area, Brian, Neks, Albert or Lady H, might be able to share some local knowledge by PM.

Ahh someone tell me the story about the Chinese restaurant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

https://haystack.ie/for-sale/massey-ferguson-6465/

Looks an ok price. Hours a concern obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1990-ford-8210-only-2265-hours/27215883

Who pays €36,000 inc VAT for a 31 year old 8210. Slow and unmanouverable and still only 115 horse power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Grueller wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1990-ford-8210-only-2265-hours/27215883

Who pays €36,000 inc VAT for a 31 year old 8210. Slow and unmanouverable and still only 115 horse power.

That's for a collector.
    No farmer could afford that or to be honest would want one in this day and age.
    Nothing wrong with them per say but they are 40 year old technology at this stage which is grand in a yard tractor or for very occasional use but not something you would be buying to spend long days on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

That's for a collector.
    No farmer could afford that or to be honest would want one in this day and age.
    Nothing wrong with them per say but they are 40 year old technology at this stage which is grand in a yard tractor or for very occasional use but not something you would be buying to spend long days on.

It’s not good value, but more because the 8210 wasn’t great to begin with. There is no reason why a farmer could not use a 40 year old tractor as a mainline machine once it’s well maintained.

My 22 year old TS115 has under 6k hours. It will reach 10k hours when it is 50 at the current rate... I can’t see anything it does much worse than a new tractor.

Grueller wrote: »

Well kept machine all the same though, it seems to me like people are taking a bit more care of older machines these days now that they realize how much value the have years later.

36k is a bit mad though, was never gone on this generation of ford's anyway, the design seems to have aged badly or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well kept machine all the same though, it seems to me like people are taking a bit more care of older machines these days now that they realize how much value the have years later.

36k is a bit mad though, was never gone on this generation of ford's anyway, the design seems to have aged badly or something!

The description says "all original paint".

Wonder if they actually mean it was resprayed using ford paint. There's not even a bit of paint rubbed off the steps....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Looking at the hitch it's an import,the weights look Irish by the moss.

Wonder if they actually mean it was resprayed using ford paint. There's not even a bit of paint rubbed off the steps....

Yeah noticed that, it looks fairly convincing all the same!

• Advertisement

them wheels have been sprayed,back ones recently enough (marks of sockets,where tightened on)

Visible rust/pitting been sprayed over the mounting points for centres of front wheels

them wheels have been sprayed,back ones recently enough (marks of sockets,where tightened on)

Visible rust/pitting been sprayed over the mounting points for centres of front wheels

No flys on you lad! On closer inspection the mudguards are definitely new with the shine on them. Still a tidy machine all the same.

Was the 8210 build on the same frame as the TW15? Just a bit lighter and less power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Was the 8210 build on the same frame as the TW15? Just a bit lighter and less power?

7810/8210/TW15 have the same 401 engine I think. 8210 and TW would be similar size but TW would have a heavier backend.

No flys on you lad!

If they are,their paying rent :D
    On closer inspection the mudguards are definitely new with the shine on them. Still a tidy machine all the same.

I dont to seem knocking it...its a v.tidy machine tbf.....but the mounting points for centres are v.difficult to get right.....

i.remember getting wheels sand blasted before and using fibre-glass filler to get a good finish on em....slow,tedious work,i wouldnt wish it on me worst enenmy tbh

timple23 wrote: »
    7810/8210/TW15 have the same 401 engine I think. 8210 and TW would be similar size but TW would have a heavier backend.

Ford were getting to be a bit of a joke at this stage. The 8210 back end was basically the same as a 5000 which first came out in 1965.

6 pot engine was a bit too powerful for the back end, heard of a couple where the pto stopped working. When it was split a socket had been welded on to the shaft coming off the flywheel and the tractor sold on. Still though the SQ cab wasn't the worst place you could spend a day in 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

I don't think they were. The TW's were made in Antwerp, Belgium. They used the older crash gearbox and had the 401s engine. The 10's were made in Basildon. As far as I know, the 8210 had a much smaller displacement engine than the TW's. They were a sluggish tractor, many were turbo'd to try and get them to perform some way decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ford were getting to be a bit of a joke at this stage. The 8210 back end was basically the same as a 5000 which first came out in 1965.

6 pot engine was a bit too powerful for the back end, heard of a couple where the pto stopped working. When it was split a socket had been welded on to the shaft coming off the flywheel and the tractor sold on. Still though the SQ cab wasn't the worst place you could spend a day in 1990.

Lol.
    The old 8210. I had a couple back in the day that got more abuse than I’d dare to give any tractor since.
    After 2k hrs I’d one that went porous so we decided to fire a TW15 engine into it...then ended up winding it up to 160hp out the back. You could take off in top gear and spin all four on concrete. Beast.

( Did I mention that I’m a reformed cowboy...go to weekly meetings and all.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Lol.
    The old 8210. I had a couple back in the day that got more abuse than I’d dare to give any tractor since.
    After 2k hrs I’d one that went porous so we decided to fire a TW15 engine into it...then ended up winding it up to 160hp out the back. You could take off in top gear and spin all four on concrete. Beast.

Dont think too many here would believe you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Lol.

Was that a frosty concrete yard. Once a cowboy, always a cowboy. We just learn to hide it a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

From memory it was a 28mm three quarter drive impact socket used.Seen a few done and not a bother on them afterwards.Not a major job if you knew what you were doing.Only seen it done on 6610 and 7610 who had serious amount of pto work .

• Advertisement
Advertisement