Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best stand mixer?

Options
  • 21-07-2020 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I see Lidl are doing the Kenwood prospero for €150 on Thursday. has anyone any experience with it? Is it any good?

I was looking at the Kenwood Kmix [the one with the metal bowl only] and the Kitchenaid before I saw the Lidl ad.

Does anyone have any experience of using any of these or any recommendations please? I would be using it mostly for baking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I see Lidl are doing the Kenwood prospero for €150 on Thursday. has anyone any experience with it? Is it any good?

I was looking at the Kenwood Kmix [the one with the metal bowl only] and the Kitchenaid before I saw the Lidl ad.

Does anyone have any experience of using any of these or any recommendations please? I would be using it mostly for baking.

I have a kmix. It must be 9 years old I’d say, and I still love it. It’s not overworked these days, I don’t bake as much as I used to, but it’s used fairly regularly.
    I know you can get extra attachments (I don’t have any though), but not as many for the kmix as you can for the chef

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You piqued my interest with the Prospero so I looked it up. For the smaller kitchen it says, perfect I thought but looking at the specifications, it only has capacity for 500g dough. That's not very much (2 pizzas or a small loaf). :(

https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-int/products/kitchen-machines/prospero/prospero-km242-0wkm242002?TabSegment=specifications#specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't reckon you can go past a regular Kenwood chef .. there is a major if you want to go bigger again ..
    Only thing is ..would it be too big for your needs , sometimes the smaller mixer and bowl suits the size of vatches you're making better...
    And for the record I've killed 2 kitchen aids ( in a commercial kitchen ,( we went back to our ancient Kenwood and it worked perfectly ) ,and I also killed a 70s Kenwood ( well stuffed a gear ) by trying to put far too much down a mixer attachment ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I managed to get a look at the more current Prospero model [1000w] in a store today. Full plastic body. Extremely lightweight. Lightweight in that it kinda rocks when I was testing lifting the mixing head. Compared to the Kmix on the stand beside it with a full metal body it felt very flimsy. But the kmix is €150 euro more. Very undecided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've a kmix, i love it. If i had to buy again i might go for a chef just for the range of attachments.
    I have the pasta extruder for the kmix and it gets used when i have a glut of eggs :) And i got fancy brass dies for it from pastidea.it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

You can't go wrong with kitchenaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Can't go wrong with ankarsrum

Advertisement