Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    They're really cheer leading for another lock down ,they love the " zero covid strategy " medical opinions

They 100% are. The whole discussion about whether reopening schools is safe is another prime example. Of course it's safe they are pushing fear like the entire msm. Whenever there is an Islamic terror it's always don't let the terrorist win or don't look back in anger but with cv19 it's fear.

If you fear for your safety because of Islamic barbarism in the west you are a paranoid bigot but if you fear for your safety because of a virus with 99.9% survival rate you are perfectly rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GT89 wrote: »
    They 100% are. The whole discussion about whether reopening schools is safe is another prime example. Of course it's safe they are pushing fear like the entire msm.

except for the fact that neither they or the rest of the msm are pushing fear as it would not be allowed.
    yes with the relevant and necessary precautions and restrictions in place it should hopefully be safe as it can reasonably be so to reopen schools.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Rté One Rocks.
    If Rté, History Channel and Discovery Channel combined I would live happily ever after. That's all any normal person should need or have the time for.

Whenever there is an Islamic terror it's always don't let the terrorist win or don't look back in anger but with cv19 it's fear.

no with cv19 it's facts facts and more facts.
    and they are quite right, terrorists must not be allowed to win.
    If you fear for your safety because of Islamic barbarism in the west you are a paranoid bigot but if you fear for your safety because of a virus with 99.9% survival rate you are perfectly rational.

and again that is quite right, fearing barbarism whether it be islamic or anything else is perfectly rational, however fearing just islamic barbarism and using it to push an agenda but not being bothered about other barbarism certainly makes one a bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Has anyone seen that RTE Promo, a TV prog, where it seems to be a doc on foreigners in Ireland. Oh sorry, did I say foreigners.

Anyway, the promo goes, the black woman says ' We've contributed to political and social life, a rich 'tapesrty' of Irish life.

This is so extremely absurd, black people, or any other foreigners, have never contributed to the 'rich tapestry' of Ireland. There is no tapestry n the first place.

RTE are full of lefty ****, and they are brain washing this country, courtesy of the money you pay them from your license fee, and courtesy of the globalist government we have now.

Well, I hope y'all enjoy being pawns of our globalist government.

Don't come crying to me when it all goes wrong.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Has anyone seen that RTE Promo, a TV prog, where it seems to be a doc on foreigners in Ireland. Oh sorry, did I say foreigners.

Anyway, the promo goes, the black woman says ' We've contributed to political and social life, a rich 'tapesrty' of Irish life.

This is so extremely absurd, black people, or any other foreigners, have never contributed to the 'rich tapestry' of Ireland. There is no tapestry n the first place.

A rich tapestry of taking handouts from the Irish taxpayer more like. Then they have the audacity to complain about dp centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I was told on this thread that a pro Biden article was "an opinion" but that an anti Trump article was "news". I can't vote in USA, but I find the RTE articles strange sitting together on Thursday morning. It looked odd to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Anyway, what will happen if I do not renew my licence ? Has anyone stopped paying for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

except for the fact that neither they or the rest of the msm are pushing fear as it would not be allowed.
    yes with the relevant and necessary precautions and restrictions in place it should hopefully be safe as it can reasonably be so to reopen schools.

How do you mean it "would not be allowed " ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ye, it's a bit of a fine line as rte are help to higher standards on neutrality than the privately owned MSM.

The rest of MSM could push s little bit harder.

• Advertisement

I disagree with sine of your other assumptions, but putting that aside, is it right then to 'defund' (cancel) rte because you disagree with it?

Bear in mind that this phrase came from a private lobyist company in England that was set up to cancel BBC. Is it ok to be pawns of companies that you think you might share some values with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

kenmm wrote: »
    I disagree with sine of your other assumptions, but putting that aside, is it right then to 'defund' (cancel) rte because you disagree with it?

He's not disagreeing about facts though, he's disagreeing about spin. Spin is a product of trying to persuade people to one side, which is not the job of our national news network. No one should have to pay for one sided news, especially by force.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Rté One Rocks.
    If Rté, History Channel and Discovery Channel combined I would live happily ever after. That's all any normal person should need or have the time for.

No thanks, I'd rather just have TG4 than endless repeats of Ripleys believe or not, storage wars, pawn stars and Ancient aliens on the History channel. Discovery isn't a whole pile better with hours of wheeler dealers, NASAs unexplained files and other factual wonders. With the exception of the insightful "how it's made", both could disappear forever.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    He's not disagreeing about facts though, he's disagreeing about spin. Spin is a product of trying to persuade people to one side, which is not the job of our national news network. No one should have to pay for one sided news, especially by force.

Yep, and I am still waiting to read or view a concrete example of such.

I already offered that if someone finds the example, I will make the complaint to rte and chase it up, I think it's a fair deal?

Plus, what about being pawns to defund the BBC ltd?

RTE are full of lefty ****, and they are brain washing this country, courtesy of the money you pay them from your license fee, and courtesy of the globalist government we have now.

Don't come crying to me when it all goes wrong.

it's perfectly fine to use the term foreigner, where someone is actually one mind, rather then it being decided they are on the basis of their skin color even though they may have been born here.
    how do you know what foreigners and black people have or haven't contributed? have you surveyed them all or is it the case that black/foreigner equals no contribution by default because of your own personal issues with such individuals being in the country?
    rte are not full of lefty anything and are not brainwashing anyone, you are just in a minority in terms of the views you hold.
    A rich tapestry of taking handouts from the Irish taxpayer more like. Then they have the audacity to complain about dp centres.

plenty of foreign nationals work and contribute once they are able to do so, just like most irish.
    some do take hand outs just like some irish and it's up to the government to deal with anyone who is taking what they aren't entitled to take, if they are entitled to take then it's not an issue.
    it's more certain groups based on surveying individuals in dp centres who are quite rightly highlighting the conditions within some of them, for which if conditions are not up to standard then they are quite right to bring them to the attention of the relevant authorities and have them addressed.

rte is subject to regulation via the broadcasting authority of ireland as far as i am aware, so have to abide by the various codes as set out just like all other radio and tv.
    if you feel rte has done something that goes against those rules you can make a complaint, however complaints are expected to be of a high standard and well thought out.
    things like i don't like facts or immigration are unlikely to be taken seriously however i should expect.

just as well we don't pay for spin and one sided news then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

it's perfectly fine to use the term foreigner, where someone is actually one mind, rather then it being decided they are on the basis of their skin color even though they may have been born here.
    how do you know what foreigners and black people have or haven't contributed? have you surveyed them all or is it the case that black/foreigner equals no contribution by default because of your own personal issues with such individuals being in the country?
    rte are not full of lefty anything and are not brainwashing anyone, you are just in a minority in terms of the views you hold.

plenty of foreign nationals work and contribute once they are able to do so, just like most irish.
    some do take hand outs just like some irish and it's up to the government to deal with anyone who is taking what they aren't entitled to take, if they are entitled to take then it's not an issue.
    it's more certain groups based on surveying individuals in dp centres who are quite rightly highlighting the conditions within some of them, for which if conditions are not up to standard then they are quite right to bring them to the attention of the relevant authorities and have them addressed.

rte is subject to regulation via the broadcasting authority of ireland as far as i am aware, so have to abide by the various codes as set out just like all other radio and tv.
    if you feel rte has done something that goes against those rules you can make a complaint, however complaints are expected to be of a high standard and well thought out.
    things like i don't like facts or immigration are unlikely to be taken seriously however i should expect.

just as well we don't pay for spin and one sided news then.

That assumes the broadcasting authority are immune from bias?

I was talking more about people in dp centres and those seeking asylum. Not those who come to the country legally with the intention to work. I have no issues with foreigners living provided they come here legally and if they don't like ot here they should leave. In the same way if you get a job and don't like it or it dosen't suit you you would leave.

i would assume they are sufficiently to rule against individuals complaining because they are unhappy that the relevant broadcaster is not a propaganda machine to propagate their ultra-minority views.
    I was talking more about people in dp centres and those seeking asylum. Not those who come to the country legally with the intention to work.

all catered to within my response to you.

No one is immune from bias, that's the nature of bias and why we put checks and balances in place.

I think it's verging on a paranoid mindset to say everyone is so biased tho.

Have you ever formally complained of bias yourself, or do you favour jumping straight to the cancel culture approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Except the "spin" is firmly in the minds of some idiots who only want to hear positive propaganda about their particular heroes, al la Trump.

The type that tune into Fox because it tells them what they want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm sorry, but the vast vast majority of BAME ppl in this country are foreigners.

I lived in this country most of my life and I know that the input socially and politically from foreigners is virtually nil.

If you made your point 100 years from now it might make some sense.

Quite interesting you are saying *I'm* in a minority now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm sorry, but the vast vast majority of BAME ppl in this country are foreigners.

I lived in this country most of my life and I know that the input socially and politically from foreigners is virtually nil.

If you made your point 100 years from now it might make some sense.

Quite interesting you are saying *I'm* in a minority now.

This is absolute and utter drivel. We could sit here all day listing people not born in this country who had an enormous influence here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Tony EH wrote: »
    Except the "spin" is firmly in the minds of some idiots who only want to hear positive propaganda about their particular heroes, al la Trump.

The type that tune into Fox because it tells them what they want to hear.

Do you seriously believe RTE is a highly ethical journalistic outlet? Simply looking up RTE and BLM proves me point. There's hardly any negative news, even though there is much ammo in regards to negativity surrounding the movement. America had months of chaos following this stuff, yet if you read RTE you'd think it was all rosy. You can do the same for many other topics, where they are simply only showing one side of a story. If you think that's good or ethical journalism then you're the problem too. Journalism isn't people telling you what you like, it's people telling you the truth, which you may not like.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

This is delusional. Every human has biases, it's a product of living on earth. It's more dangerous to think that people can be without bias than the opposite.

This is delusional. Every human has biases, it's a product of living on earth. It's more dangerous to think that people can be without bias than the opposite.

I don't know how you manged to read my post and then go on to select one part of it to then go on to make the same point as I did, but here is the full post again:
    No one is immune from bias, that's the nature of bias and why we put checks and balances in place.

Have you ever formally complained of bias yourself, or do you favour jumping straight to the cancel culture approach?

The part you selected was in reference to thinking that every organisation is 'so biased' - i.e. such an extreme bias that RTE, the government and the regulator (and everyone who works there) are all united pushing one agenda.

Incidentally, for all this talk of bias, I am still waiting to read about one concrete example of such bias. I would have thought its easy, but so far, other than some anecdotal evidence, no one has presented any.

Do you seriously believe RTE is a highly ethical journalistic outlet? Simply looking up RTE and BLM proves me point. There's hardly any negative news, even though there is much ammo in regards to negativity surrounding the movement. America had months of chaos following this stuff, yet if you read RTE you'd think it was all rosy. You can do the same for many other topics, where they are simply only showing one side of a story. If you think that's good or ethical journalism then you're the problem too. Journalism isn't people telling you what you like, it's people telling you the truth, which you may not like.

'positive' and 'negative' news isn't about bias this - that opinion.

RTEs job is to present the news (the fact) without opinion (except of course when hiring editors to give an opinion, which should be clear).

In the context of BLM, what 'negative' news would you rather see? This is an important point, because I think it gets us closer to what this 'bias' really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's an ad on TV now for the RTE guide. Daithi O'f*cking Shea is on the cover, and they have an interview with Dr Ciara Kelly. I can't think of anything worse.
    Who actually buys that rubbish? And some idiot is probably being paid over 100k to be editor on the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

I saw 3 secs of Kathyrn thomas in an RV. SHE HAS A CHILD NOW DONT YOU KNOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭J_M_G

Incidentally, for all this talk of bias, I am still waiting to read about one concrete example of such bias. I would have thought its easy, but so far, other than some anecdotal evidence, no one has presented any.

Ken,

I'll happily take on your challenge. It's actually quite easy to demonstrate an overwhelmingly liberal bias from RTE.

Step 1: Go to rte.ie/news
    Step 2: Tap the search icon in the top right.
    Step 3: Type in Brainstorm Immigration
    Step 4: Press Search (results are ordered by relevance but can also be sorted by date)

Now, firstly, what is "Brainstorm"? Brainstorm is where RTE give a platform to various third level academics and some other figures from govt funded bodies (eg. the Irish Research Council). RTE also explicitly state they have full and final editorial control over what gets published. Fair enough. As long as there's no bias, right? We need diversity of opinion, yes? So, as a publicly funded state broadcaster with a mandate to be as objective and impartial as possible, I'm expecting a wide range of liberal and illiberal opinions alike. Let's see what we have.

1,160 results.

Ok, go through each of the articles presented. I went through the first 5 pages or so (about 50 articles). They are overwhelmingly liberal: pro mass immigration, pro multiculturalism, pro diversity, etc. Others present a narrative sympathetic to migrants, presenting them as being hard working, good for Ireland, a real boon for the nation. Others tell stories of alleged racism or hardships they faced.

Interestingly, the focus seems to be primarily directed toward their supposed economic benefit. Not as much on culture, social cohesion, integration, and things of that sort. Not much distinction made either between racial groups. Nigerian, Pakistani, Polish, Chinese - RTE seem to lump them all together. They're all just "immigrants". "New Irish". Interesting. There's nothing that could be called critical of the rapidly changing demographic makeup of the island. I haven't gone through the entire 1,160 returned results so I won't claim there's literally zero, but I am certain that the balance is extremely in favour of mass immigration.

Some of the 1,160 are neutral. Neither liberal or illiberal in their bias. At least not explicitly, although even amongst the more neutral ones, there is still a subtle framing of immigration as positive. Language choices, framing, etc. But let's give those the benefit of the doubt and classify them as neutral. The point remains. The balance is still overwhelmingly liberal. Note: other articles from the 1,160 search results are only tangentially focused on immigration, and may be primarily focused on things like feminism, lgbt, etc. So the 1,160 aren't exclusively about just that topic. But again, the liberal bias is clear no matter the specific primary topic being discussed.

So there you go. An undeniable bias from RTE. Where are all the people who are critical of the changing demographics of Ireland? Why are RTE not giving a platform to them? They're an impartial organisation, right? So where are they? Is there an equivalent to "Brainstorm" on RTE that provides this? Can you direct me towards it please?

As an aside, this is just a simple demonstration of bias with regard to immigration. But you can find it all throughout their news coverage. They don't lie necessarily, at least not explicitly. They're too smart for that. What they instead do is frame the issue in a liberal manner. Choice of language. What stories they cover and don't cover (lying by omission). Choice of photograph thumbnail - they LOVE unflattering ones of Trump in particular where he looks a bit too orange and saturated or gesturing wildly like some crazed dictator, pulling a silly face, etc. Obama? Not so much. Statesmanly. Calm. Dignified.

Subtle things like that is how they "lie". Not with the objective facts per se, but with the framing and narrative, language, selective quotations, headline bias, lack of proper context, etc.

Now, here's where you have a bit of a dilemma. You need to provide me with evidence that this equivalent platforming of illiberal voices exists, and does so to the same degree as the liberal side (equal number of articles published). If you do, I will stand corrected on my opinion that RTE is a biased liberal organisation who subvert and propagandise the Irish people to accept liberal values. More than happy to change my mind here. It's not a complicated or unreasonable ask. Just show me an equivalent platforming of illiberal articles. Not one or two. An equivalent number. If you can't, will you likewise stand corrected and admit RTE does indeed have a bias?

• Advertisement

J_M_G wrote: »
    Ken,

I'll happily take on your challenge. It's actually quite easy to demonstrate an overwhelmingly liberal bias from RTE.

Step 1: Go to rte.ie/news
    Step 2: Tap the search icon in the top right.
    Step 3: Type in Brainstorm Immigration
    Step 4: Press Search (results are ordered by relevance but can also be sorted by date)

Now, firstly, what is "Brainstorm"? Brainstorm is where RTE give a platform to various third level academics and some other figures from govt funded bodies (eg. the Irish Research Council). RTE also explicitly state they have full and final editorial control over what gets published. Fair enough. As long as there's no bias, right? We need diversity of opinion, yes? So, as a publicly funded state broadcaster with a mandate to be as objective and impartial as possible, I'm expecting a wide range of liberal and illiberal opinions alike. Let's see what we have.

1,160 results.

Ok, go through each of the articles presented. I went through the first 5 pages or so (about 50 articles). They are overwhelmingly liberal: pro mass immigration, pro multiculturalism, pro diversity, etc. Others present a narrative sympathetic to migrants, presenting them as being hard working, good for Ireland, a real boon for the nation. Others tell stories of alleged racism or hardships they faced.

Interestingly, the focus seems to be primarily directed toward their supposed economic benefit. Not as much on culture, social cohesion, integration, and things of that sort. Not much distinction made either between racial groups. Nigerian, Pakistani, Polish, Chinese - RTE seem to lump them all together. They're all just "immigrants". "New Irish". Interesting. There's nothing that could be called critical of the rapidly changing demographic makeup of the island. I haven't gone through the entire 1,160 returned results so I won't claim there's literally zero, but I am certain that the balance is extremely in favour of mass immigration.

Some of the 1,160 are neutral. Neither liberal or illiberal in their bias. At least not explicitly, although even amongst the more neutral ones, there is still a subtle framing of immigration as positive. Language choices, framing, etc. But let's give those the benefit of the doubt and classify them as neutral. The point remains. The balance is still overwhelmingly liberal. Note: other articles from the 1,160 search results are only tangentially focused on immigration, and may be primarily focused on things like feminism, lgbt, etc. So the 1,160 aren't exclusively about just that topic. But again, the liberal bias is clear no matter the specific primary topic being discussed.

So there you go. An undeniable bias from RTE. Where are all the people who are critical of the changing demographics of Ireland? Why are RTE not giving a platform to them? They're an impartial organisation, right? So where are they? Is there an equivalent to "Brainstorm" on RTE that provides this? Can you direct me towards it please?

As an aside, this is just a simple demonstration of bias with regard to immigration. But you can find it all throughout their news coverage. They don't lie necessarily, at least not explicitly. They're too smart for that. What they instead do is frame the issue in a liberal manner. Choice of language. What stories they cover and don't cover (lying by omission). Choice of photograph thumbnail - they LOVE unflattering ones of Trump in particular where he looks a bit too orange and saturated or gesturing wildly like some crazed dictator, pulling a silly face, etc. Obama? Not so much. Statesmanly. Calm. Dignified.

Subtle things like that is how they "lie". Not with the objective facts per se, but with the framing and narrative, language, selective quotations, headline bias, lack of proper context, etc.

Now, here's where you have a bit of a dilemma. You need to provide me with evidence that this equivalent platforming of illiberal voices exists, and does so to the same degree as the liberal side (equal number of articles published). If you do, I will stand corrected on my opinion that RTE is a biased liberal organisation who subvert and propagandise the Irish people to accept liberal values. More than happy to change my mind here. It's not a complicated or unreasonable ask. Just show me an equivalent platforming of illiberal articles. Not one or two. An equivalent number. If you can't, will you likewise stand corrected and admit RTE does indeed have a bias?

J,

Thats a big post - fair play for putting it together - I am interested in this, so I will dig through your info and have a look - I think it is important to have a state funded public body, without bias, so I am motivated to look!

I think if there is bias, it should be challenged, and we shouldn't just cancel all of RTE (or any such organisation) because of it, otherwise we can open to the door to further biased organisations..

Advertisement