Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Kivaro wrote: »
    Once again, totally disingenuous.
    You want a link to a segment on RTE Radio 1 news that many thousands of people heard yesterday morning .......... and you don't believe me because I heard it on the radio?
    And the many thousands of people who watched Margaret Cash interviewed by RTE on television with one-sided questions? You don't believe that was not bias by RTE. And the race baiter Ebun Joseph who is allowed an unchallenged pulpit by RTE to insult and hurl racism claims at the whole Irish nation.

Every single day you can easily find bias at RTE. Just because your head is in the sand does not mean it is not happening.

My posts are genuine, I am simply trying to establish what bias exists.

You don't need to take it personally - it's not about not believing - but evidence has to be presented, otherwise it is simply hearsay.

Geuze wrote: »
    Here is an example, Claire Byrne cutting short the owner of a SuperValu as he reports on trouble in his store:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Mm7mmPlCLqDt/

Whats the bias angle here?

It sounded like the owner got cut off because he was making unsubstantiated claims? There isn't enough evidence there to suggest that was due to some biased agenda or if that was because legally its a bit of a minefield or some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I agree with your description of RTE, yes.

But I do see a problem with it being tilted to the left.

Surely it should have a responsibility to show both sides of a discussion / debate?

I meant there is nothing wrong with being left in the way the guardian is provided the tax payer isn't funding it

How anyone can miss the left wing editorial policy at RTE is beyond me

Far left activists like Philip o Connor are employed as the " our man in Sweden " reporter FFS

Ever read that guy on twitter, he makes paul Murphy look right wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Isn't it amazing that something is unsubstantiated if it is goes against the liberal left grain. However, it is taken as Gospel and fact when these claims are made by Travellers, Asylum Seekers etc.

RTE is exactly like Fox News; except it is on the other spectrum of the divide.

Isn't it amazing that something is unsubstantiated if it is goes against the liberal left grain. However, it is taken as Gospel and fact when these claims are made by Travellers, Asylum Seekers etc.

Not really, FOX news is crude and tabloidy, RTE is sophisticated in its presentation

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Not really, FOX news is crude and tabloidy, RTE is sophisticated in its presentation
    Not talking about how they present it, but what they present as news.
    Fox = on the right side.
    RTE = left leaning side.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Here is an example, Claire Byrne cutting short the owner of a SuperValu as he reports on trouble in his store:

nothing to see here.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

we dont have to pay for fox

Something is unsubstantiated if it it is unconfirmed. Please don't generalise my request with what you may or not have seen elsewhere.

Additionally, I again ask that we don't turn this into a left/right slagging match. It's about bias, regardless of what direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

rightmove wrote: »
    we dont have to pay for fox

Unfortunately the whole world may end up picking up the tab for the damage FOX and other US "news" outlets have done.

• Advertisement

Not talking about how they present it, but what they present as news.
    Fox = on the right side.
    RTE = left leaning side.

Yes , I was a tad pedantic but the style is very different, RTE is more like the Guardian newspaper if it were on tv

Its not the flip side of the Fox News coin

elperello wrote: »
    Unfortunately the whole world may end up picking up the tab for the damage FOX and other US "news" outlets have done.

Our licence fee does not pay for the fox or CNN etc. We do have to pay for rte and that is the problem

Our licence fee does not pay for the fox or CNN etc. We do have to pay for rte and that is the problem

True, I was just making the global point.

I don't see the fact that we have to pay for RTE as a problem.

It is our Public Broadcasting Service so who else would pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

kenmm wrote: »
    Whats the bias angle here?

It sounded like the owner got cut off because he was making unsubstantiated claims? There isn't enough evidence there to suggest that was due to some biased agenda or if that was because legally its a bit of a minefield or some other reason.

He owns the store, how can his statements be described as "unsubstantiated"?

He is best placed to know what happened.

Now, if it was a third-party, I might agree with you, but it wasn't.

He tried to tell a truth that RTE don't like, so they cut him off.

It's very obvious.

Something is unsubstantiated if it it is unconfirmed.

Ok, another example.

It has been confirmed, over and over, that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

Yet, in any discussion of DP, RTE don't mention that.

Their reports are built on the presumption that the people are entitled to be here.

Is that bias?

I think some people would say so.

PBP and SF are similar.

They always assume that people are always victims, and the Govt are always wrong.

Example: take the continued massive rise in DA claims.

We all know: many of these cases are false, they aren't disabled at all.

So a reasonable Govt would run checks, have independent medical tests, etc.

Parties like PBP and SF (like RTE), presume that all people are genuine, and so the rise in DA claims must be 100% genuine, and the mean Govt are baddies for even questioning it.

I would love to live in a world free of false claims / fraud / tax evasion, where everybody is a saint.

But this is Ireland.

Landlords / medical consultants / taxi drivers avoid and evade tax
    Many LT unemployed are not really unemployed
    Many on DA are not disabled
    Many people homeless make themselves homeless to get social housing faster
    The vast majority of AS are bogus

If you watch and read RTE, you are more often than not presented with a SF/PBP type of thinking, approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Just listened to that and my wife was pottering around behind me and overheard too. Started grilling me as to who the people he was talking about were.

Were they Polish, American, English, French? Africans? Possibly people from Direct Provision? Why didn't he know them if, as he claims, he knows everyone living nearby? What were they doing there if not local?

We'll never know because "journalist", Claire Byrne didn't wish to probe the issue at all because she sensed his answers wouldn't suit her agenda. It'd be laughable if we weren't contributing to her wages.

Ok, another example.

It has been confirmed, over and over, that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

Yet, in any discussion of DP, RTE don't mention that.

Their reports are built on the presumption that the people are entitled to be here.

Is that bias?

I think some people would say so.

Potentially yes, just show that confirmation. Because that is something that may be an issue, and it may not even be RTE (i.e. if they are simply reporting official figures and there is a bias with those).

But 'the vast majority' is a very sweeping statement and we need to be accurate. This is part of the reason that politics are a mess in general. Neither the left nor the right or many in between are particularly happy right now. But I digress- find the numbers to back that up and we could be onto something.

Just listened to that and my wife was pottering around behind me and overheard too. Started grilling me as to who the people he was talking about were.

Were they Polish, American, English, French? Africans? Possibly people from Direct Provision? Why didn't he know them if he knows everyone in the locality if, as he claims, he knows everyone living nearby? What were they doing there if not local?

We'll never know because "journalist", Claire Byrne didn't wish too probe the issue at all because she sensed his answers wouldn't suit her agenda. It'd be laughable if we weren't contributing to her wages.

Ok but on one hand we are saying that there is bias because both sides of a given argument are often not represented and in this case there was only one person alleging something happened (pointing the finger at the catch all term foreigners, which could mean a bunch of Dublin lads for a cork man!).
    A better journalist may have been able to probe a little more, but I think it's obvious as to why someone isn't allowed on the radio to make claims that may or may not be true.
    I don't think this constitutes a bias in the media as we can only guess (and not verify) the reasons why the caller was cut off.

True, I was just making the global point.

I don't see the fact that we have to pay for RTE as a problem.

It is our Public Broadcasting Service so who else would pay for it.

But its not doing Public Broadcasting. Public Broadcasting is balanced and impartial and should not be about employment based upon who you are related to.

Only thing if for it to be scraped.

• Advertisement

A better journalist may have been able to probe a little more, but I think it's obvious as to why someone isn't allowed on the radio to make claims that may or may not be true.
    You must have missed the Miriam O'Callaghan interview of Margaret Cash then. The interview did happen ............. even though I do not have a link for it.
    Typical bias by RTE on that occasion.

He owns the store, how can his statements be described as "unsubstantiated"?

He is best placed to know what happened.

Now, if it was a third-party, I might agree with you, but it wasn't.

He tried to tell a truth that RTE don't like, so they cut him off.

It's very obvious.

A journalist needs sources and needs to be able to verify them, cmon now that much is obvious. That is
    disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

It doesn't matter if you own a shop, run a city or anything.

Ok but on one hand we are saying that there is bias because both sides of a given argument are often not represented and in this case there was only one person alleging something happened (pointing the finger at the catch all term foreigners, which could mean a bunch of Dublin lads for a cork man!).
    I don't think this constitutes a bias in the media as we can only guess (and not verify) the reasons why the caller was cut off.

ok you just lost the argument there

ok you just lost the argument there

I'm not trying to 'win' anything, but are we unable to have a bit of humour now??

You must have missed the Miriam O'Callaghan interview of Margaret Cash then. The interview did happen ............. even though I do not have a link for it.
    Typical bias by RTE on that occasion.

I did miss it unfortunately, sounds like a few people are unhappy about that one.

Cancel culture really does annoy the sh!t out if me, it's quite depressing really.

But its not doing Public Broadcasting. Public Broadcasting is balanced and impartial and should not be about employment based upon who you are related to.

I want to retain a PBS in Ireland.

RTE is in public ownership and I think it is best placed to develop into the kind of PBS we need.

I am not an apologist for things that may need to change but I do not support the idea of scrapping RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

RTE is in public ownership and I think it is best placed to develop into the kind of PBS we need.

I am not an apologist for things that may need to change but I do not support the idea of scrapping RTE.

Well then you should pay for it, along with the majority, and the 'small minority' who have an issue with RTE's stance on societal issues should be free to go about our business and not be charged for something we don't wish to consume.

Well then you should pay for it, along with the majority, and the 'small minority' who have an issue with RTE's stance on societal issues should be free to go about our business and not be charged for something we don't wish to consume.

I am happy to pay my share.

As outlined in an earlier post I favour the general taxation funded model.

You will find that as taxpayers in Ireland we fund many things that we don't consume.

You may be able to address issues re. content through different channels.

• Advertisement

respect your opinion. I too used to believe in PBS but not anymore. Too biased and too expensive

Advertisement