Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Tony EH wrote: »
    There were many, many nights of Brexit discussion. :rolleyes:

Many many chances for rte to show balance but failed to do so. you seem to be the only one who likes the worm hole

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

rightmove wrote: »
    Many many chances for rte to show balance but failed to do so. you seem to be the only one who likes the worm hole

Don't be ridiculous. There were plenty of pro brexit people on RTE's coverage of Brexit over the stupidly long time it was going on for.

They even had Farage on to talk about it at several points.

Who cares if they couldn't get someone on on the night Brexit went through. It was a done deal by then.

In any case, they probably tried to get Farage on the phone and couldn't because he was too busy gloating on all the British TV shows.

Not having a pro brexit person on on the night Brexit went through isn't an indication of "bias", especially when there were plenty of pro Brexit voices aired on the run up to the night in question.

Don't be ridiculous.

Who cares if they couldn't get someone on on the night Brexit went through. It was a done deal by then.

who is being ridiculous. it wasnt a done deal by then. This was before they voted...the night before. They had the same arrogance as the BBC who thought it was a done deal in that no one would vote for it. You really dont seem to grasp the nettle here matey
    In any case, they probably tried to get Farage on the phone and couldn't because he was too busy gloating on all the British TV shows.

I hope you never end up in court - you are making stuff up now. hearsay when you cant defend them. You must be close to the network!?
    Not having a pro brexit person on on the night Brexit went through isn't an indication of "bias"

OFCOURSE IT IS

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

who is being ridiculous. it wasnt a done deal by then. This was before they voted...the night before. They had the same arrogance as the BBC who thought it was a done deal in that no one would vote for it. You really dont seem to grasp the nettle here matey

pro-brexit voices were given plenty of airtime on rte, that is a fact.
    the fact rte may not have been able to get hold of pro-brexit voices on the night or night before does not equal bias, sometimes commentators just aren't available for whatever reason.
    I hope you never end up in court - you are making stuff up now. hearsay when you cant defend them. You must be close to the network!?

it's you and the others screaching bias that are making things up.
    OFCOURSE IT IS

it's not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

ye lads work together...in rte?...complaints dept?

• Advertisement

You're talking about the night before the vote? Right then.

It's still not a solid indication of any "bias".

Who exactly do you think RTE would be trying to influence with their "bias"? There's bugger all an Irish audience would be able to do about Brexit anyway and besides, pro Brexit sentiment was an extreme minority opinion in this country.

I don't think any of our politicians and commentators declared an outright favour toward Brexit and most, if not all of them were very concerned with the effects that a Yes vote would have on our own economy. Likewise, most of our political commentators weren't that enthused by Brexit either.

So actually getting someone who wasn't in Farage's camp might have been a tough ask on that day.

Your accusations hold no water. They would be laughed out of any court.

As for my association with the network...sure, that must the reason, mustn't it. :pac:
    OFCOURSE IT IS

No it isn't.

Putting together a program is not easy. People are, more often than not, unavailable. ESPECIALLY people in a foreign country during a foreign vote. Doubly so when they have their own TV networks, both national and local demanding their attention.

Who do you think they are going to choose? The networks that directly reach the British voter? Or one that's miles away talking to people who have no choice in the matter?

It still doesn't eliminate the fact that RTE on numerous occasions had pro Brexit voices on to discuss the matter., destroying any of your bogus accusations of "bias".

You're talking about the night before the vote? Right then.

It's still not a solid indication of any "bias".

2 sides and 1 night before the vote and 1 side is represented only. What is you definition of bias??

TBF ..for god sake

ye lads work together...in rte?...complaints dept?

nope, don't work for rte.
    i just don't expect my national broadcaster to be a propaganda machine for my views, but expect it to report the facts which they do.

2 sides and 1 night before the vote and 1 side is represented only. What is you definition of bias??

TBF ..for god sake

both sides were ultimately represented throughout the whole discussion, both sides got equal airtime.
    therefore 1 side being there on 1 night is not bias because that side was the only 1 available and the other side got the same amount of air time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

What is you definition of bias??

That is a good point actually - the definition of bias and the standards we use to measure them. But I don't think its worth going into on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

both sides were ultimately represented throughout the whole discussion, both sides got equal airtime.
    therefore 1 side being there on 1 night is not bias because that side was the only 1 available and the other side got the same amount of air time.
    You just made a conclusive statement.
    Go ahead and provide proof that both sides got equal time, and you've won the argument.
    Funny though ............ I don't see that happening.

Another example of RTE's bias is their coverage of the current national convention going on in the States. As I said previously, examples of RTE's bias is evident on a daily basis.

RTE should be investigated by an independent authority; definitely not the BAI. There is no transparency in how they spend our license fee money and the ploy by highly paid employees at RTE of hiding income through revenue avoidance mechanisms should also be investigated.

• Advertisement

nope, don't work for rte.
    i just don't expect my national broadcaster to be a propaganda machine for my views, but expect it to report the facts which they do..

honestly believe what you want - they obviously have you brain washed anyhow

honestly believe what you want - they obviously have you brain washed anyhow

not at all, it's not possible to brainwash me thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

smurgen wrote: »

There you go, what more balance do you need!

Crazy and ridiculous, all good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The sooner the better they all get back doing gigs.

Dickie Rock v Johnny Logan

Shane Lynch v Ryan Tubridy

Jedward v Jim Corr

Too much time locked down, cabin fever setting in.

Still I suppose they don't call it the silly season for nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

smurgen wrote: »

CB has gotten terribly tabloidy

kenmm wrote: »
    There you go, what more balance do you need!

Crazy and ridiculous, all good

That is rte balance 2 v 1

2 (twins) v 1 (Jim)

If I was jim "I would run away"

not at all, it's not possible to brainwash me thankfully.

Rte brainwash bias liberal at any cost (as long as we dont live beside them/it!) Dept:
    To: end of the road

sub: next reply

"not at all, it's not possible to brainwash me thankfully."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The other side to Coronavirus? dafuk??

We never hear the virus side of the story. That dude is just trying to get on with his life same as the rest of us

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s not a commercial station , by its definition it would sink. There’s a big PSB element.

If it sunk where would the news come from ? Rupert murduck? Dennis o Brien ?
    Do kids educational programs bring in review ? And so on

We would also lose TG4 the only bit of Irish most of us get in our lives outside of the road signs

• Advertisement

That is rte balance 2 v 1

2 (twins) v 1 (Jim)

If I was jim "I would run away"

But where is the sanity in that lot?

kenmm wrote: »
    But where is the sanity in that lot?

I don't know what's more shocking the fact that it took Jim 6 months of Covid to emerge from the shadows or that the Illuminati lizard people sent Jedward out to stop him

TBF ..for god sake

If RTE had never given air to the pro Brexit side you'd have a point. At the moment you don't, because they continually had people on that had those sentiments.

Your whinging about "bias" is unfounded.

They probably should have had someone on on the night in question. But more than likely someone couldn't be found. It probably wasn't easy to get some one with such a minority view.

It happens all the time on programs. I've lost count at how many times a presenter had to "we tried getting so and so on, but nobody was available".

People don't just drop everything to appear on TV programs. Especially ones that are about something that's happening outside of our own political sphere. There isn't anything in it for them.

If RTE had never given air to the pro Brexit side you'd have a point. At the moment you don't, because they continually had people on that had those sentiments.

Your whinging about "bias" is unfounded.

They probably should have had someone on on the night in question. But more than likely someone couldn't be found. It probably wasn't easy to get some one with such a minority view.

If that is your definition of "minority", then I can see how you are confused about bias. By the way the pro Brexit side won, which means that they were not the minority after all. The overall majority actually won, even though at the time they were considered by some as people with such a minority view. Go figure.

Kivaro wrote: »
    If that is your definition of "minority", then I can see how you are confused about bias. By the way the pro Brexit side won, which means that they were not the minority after all. The overall majority actually won, even though at the time they were considered by some as people with such a minority view. Go figure.

Being pro Brexit was a minority view IN THIS COUNTRY.

And you think I'm confused. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

George Lee was at his worst on RTE news this evening lecturing us about our responsibilities.

no no, the majority of the minority who took part in the vote won, the actual majority of the british population lost.
    you can be a majority of something but still be in an over all minority, which is what brexit supporters are.

Pelezico wrote: »
    George Lee was at his worst on RTE news this evening lecturing us about our responsibilities.

presumably in relation to following the guidelines and restrictions in relation to covid?
    if so then good, some people unfortunately need to be lectured to as they are just not getting it, and in the process dragging everything out longer .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What do you expect him to say "be grand lads..." ?

George, just like a number of RTE heads on here, is used to suckling on the taxpayer's teat, so we have to expect this type of irreverence.

• Advertisement

George, just like a number of RTE heads on here, is used to suckling on the taxpayer's teat, so we have to expect this type of irreverence.

which rte heads? fact bombing and debunking your incorrect statements does not make one an rte head.

Advertisement