Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Meanwhile over at the neighbours . . .

Tory MPs Table Bills to Decriminalise Non-Payment of Licence Fee, Privatise BBC and Monitor Impartiality

These are, at the moment, Private Members Bills – from Peter Bone and Christopher Chope – so not likely to become law unless the government takes them up. Guido reckons the decriminalisation of non-payment of the BBC licence fee is actually likely to happen. This will put the BBC on the same footing as any other creditor in the courts. Some form of beefed-up oversight could happen, if the BBC has any sense they will try and get ahead of the game and stop their own BBC journalists tweeting opinions about politics and giving their partisan lack of impartiality public amplification on social media. They could of course actually enforce the guidance that already exists and perhaps not renew the contracts of the persistent rule breakers pour encourager les autres.

source

Imagine if RTE were stripped of their special tax collection privileges, they would finally face a genuine test of how popular they really are; only people who actually like RTE would pay and they could cut An Post out of the deal as well, why should a government sponsored enterprise such as RTE be immune from customer voting with their feet.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Yep fast forward a few years of no public service broadcasting at all and you will soon see what real bias in the media is..

Although one thing- I do think the license fee should be decriminalised in the UK. Not for same reasons as presented in that blog post, but mainly because those that can't pay it shouldn't be hit with a criminal record. Funding model should be changed, but not to a commercial set up (where it will be impossible to maintain neutrality).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Look at it this way:
    It is abhorrent for people to join a publicly funded organisation and become very wealthy from that employment. At RTE, we have a number of millionaires as a direct result of becoming staff members at RTE. That is appalling for a tax/license fee funded national broadcaster.

RTE should be wound down and replaced with a Public Broadcasting Service, with one television and two radio stations at most. Funding would come from subscriptions and some state funding. The PBS model would rid RTE of the nepotism/cronyism that is not hidden there, the extremely poor service quality, and the massive waste of public money. By changing the model, we would receive a fairer and impartial national broadcaster with an improved quality in programming and news presentation, which would result in more subscriptions and inward investment.

EDIT: I would actually have 2 television stations. One would be for news/current affairs/home-grown programming and the other would have children, educational, and cultural programming. The educational aspect of the second station is important, and could be used as a teaching tool if the current worldwide pandemic continues. Of course, online offerings would also be necessary at IPBS ........... but with a properly tested and functional brand new app.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tory MPs Table Bills to Decriminalise Non-Payment of Licence Fee, Privatise BBC and Monitor Impartiality

Imagine if RTE were stripped of their special tax collection privileges, they would finally face a genuine test of how popular they really are; only people who actually like RTE would pay and they could cut An Post out of the deal as well, why should a government sponsored enterprise such as RTE be immune from customer voting with their feet.

Tory attempts to decriminalise Non-Payment of Licence Fee is just a way to kill the BBC while making it look like you are helping poor people.

Tory policy has always been to undermine all public services and any council that is pro public services and we should in no way want to copy them

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

kenmm wrote: »
    Yep fast forward a few years of no public service broadcasting at all and you will soon see what real bias in the media is..
    its here already its called RTE

• Advertisement

which rte heads?.

you

rightmove wrote: »
    its here already its called RTE

I think I understand that you believe there is bias in rte, but asking to cite some evidence would only drag it round in circles. I guess we need to agree to disagree at this point?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    we should in no way want to copy them

It's why we have this thread in the first place.. because some English lobbyists coined the term 'Defund' the BBC and created a company with same name to raise funds.
    Seems we can't help but copy our neighbours at times..

It's why we have this thread in the first place.. because some English lobbyists coined the term 'Defund' the BBC and created a company with same name to raise funds.
    Seems we can't help but copy our neighbours at times..

I'm not saying this in defence of any of our own crowd but the Tory's are a level of evil we just don't have here. There's an awful lot of their MPs want to drag the poor all the way back to Dickensian times and have us doffing the cap and praising the good master all day

I think I understand that you believe there is bias in rte, but asking to cite some evidence would only drag it round in circles. I guess we need to agree to disagree at this point?
    Lots of examples given you just dont ack them. One other one was when they decided they no longer wanted men presenting the news and 2 women would present (gender balance rte style means having one woman and err... another woman.:confused::confused:). When the figures plummeted, the response was "RTE Six One news anchors 'doing things our way'"

that is not just bias its arrogance (which I am paying for with my licence fee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Having watched professor Gerry Kileen on prime time last night ,I found another justification for not paying the licence

The lack of balance re_ covid 19 is staggering, exclusively armageddon merchants who want permanent lock down

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Having watched professor Gerry Kileen on prime time last night ,I found another justification for not paying the licence

The lack of balance re_ covid 19 is staggering, exclusively armageddon merchants who want permanent lock down

Surely the Armageddon merchants are the ones against lockdown

This lack of balance (bias) was also on the early RTE Radio 1 morning show today. They had an "expert" on who appeased RTE greatly by announcing that new Garda powers are required to close pubs and close down/prosecute house parties and in the same sentence he talked about protecting the vulnerable in Direct Provision Centres. We all know that the DP residents are mostly made up of strong 20 - 30 year olds, who are free to roam the country as they please, which many did during the first lockdown. Yet, to RTE it's the rural pubs that represents the greatest danger to Irish society.

RTE would have us clutching our rosary beads on bended knee watching their incessant Covid doomsday bully pulpit preaching ......... and all the while collecting their €160 fee as they pass around their compulsory collection basket.

Kivaro wrote: »
    This lack of balance (bias) was also on the early RTE Radio 1 morning show today. They had an "expert" on who appeased RTE greatly by announcing that new Garda powers are required to close pubs and close down/prosecute house parties and in the same sentence he talked about protecting the vulnerable in Direct Provision Centres. We all know that the DP residents are mostly made up of strong 20 - 30 year olds, who are free to roam the country as they please, which many did during the first lockdown. Yet, to RTE it's the rural pubs that represents the greatest danger to Irish society.

RTE would have us clutching our rosary beads on bended knee watching their incessant Covid doomsday bully pulpit preaching ......... and all the while collecting their €160 fee as they pass around their compulsory collection basket.

You got any stats on the demographics in DP centres ?
    Also they were not free to roam the country during lockdown they had restricted movement the same as the rest of us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Also they were not free to roam the country during lockdown they had restricted movement the same as the rest of us

How many died from Covid 1984 in Direct Plantation Centres. If they were vulnerable which they are not more would have died don't you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Surely the Armageddon merchants are the ones against lockdown

no

GT89 wrote: »
    How many died from Covid 1984 in Direct Plantation Centres. If they were vulnerable which they are not more would have died don't you think.

I'm gonna take it then that you have no facts whatsoever about demographics of direct provision centres.

As for deaths on the plantations in 1984 sorry I don't have a clue it was before my time

I'm gonna take it then that you have no facts whatsoever about demographics of direct provision centres.

As for deaths on the plantations in 1984 sorry I don't have a clue it was before my time

Clearly not vulnerable then more would have died of Covid 1984 if they were outbreaks in the centres.

no

But they are literally proposing the death of millions

But they are literally proposing the death of millions

Where's the millions of deaths in Sweden or Belarus?

• Advertisement

Yes they were.
    Some asylum seekers were Covid positive when they were moved to the Cahersiveen Hotel during the national lockdown. Some of those asylum seekers did not like the hotel and after a few days returned by themselves to Dublin. This is widely documented.

But it is off-topic, so back to the defunding of RTE, which will bring about only positive change to Ireland.

Yes they were.
    Some asylum seekers were Covid positive when they were moved to the Cahersiveen Hotel during the national lockdown. Some of those asylum seekers did not like the hotel and after a few days returned by themselves to Dublin. This is widely documented.

But it is off-topic, so back to the defunding of RTE, which will bring about only positive change to Ireland.

Returned themselves is not free to roam. Many non asylum seekers went places they should not have during lockdown too but that would not fit your racist agenda here. Still no stats on demographics for me though just anecdotes

Returned themselves is not free to roam. Many non asylum seekers went places they should not have during lockdown too but that would not fit your racist agenda here. Still no stats on demographics for me though just anecdotes

60% single people and only 8% genuine refugees

https://www.thetricolour.com/Articles/183/News/politics/Nigerians-top-Nationality-Living-in-Direct-Provision/l4524292/

That retort just lost you any credibility. It may have worked a few years ago, but people have wised up to the shrill of "racism everywhere" from people on the internet.

That retort just lost you any credibility. It may have worked a few years ago, but people have wised up to the shrill of "racism everywhere" from people on the internet.

It's pretty clear for your posts that you have a problem with refugees and migrants.

And lucky enough you are not the arbiter of my credibility

It's pretty clear for your posts that you have a problem with refugees and migrants.

And lucky enough you are not the arbiter of my credibility
    I have zero problem with genuine refugees and economic migrants who want to contribute to our society, as does the vast majority of people in Ireland. People who cry racism though at very mention of the topic ...... I have no time for.

Lots of examples given you just dont ack them. One other one was when they decided they no longer wanted men presenting the news and 2 women would present (gender balance rte style means having one woman and err... another woman.:confused::confused:). When the figures plummeted, the response was "RTE Six One news anchors 'doing things our way'"

that is not just bias its arrogance (which I am paying for with my licence fee)

Ok, one more loop of the circle: I don't think stories and anecdotes on the internet constitute a strong case for bias. I am not denying it's existence with this statement, just would be nice to see some hard evidence. I don't know about you, but I like to look beyond what's written, otherwise we just all jump on the same bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

rte are not immune from customers voting with their feat, and they haven't been for the most part throughout their history.
    some people have had access to the BBC and ITV since the day they could receive tv.
    later channel 4 and sky, and i believe cable television came quite early as well to ireland.
    anyway the BBC is fine, it has no obligation to be a pro-propaganda machine for the government, the only reason the tories want decriminalisation is they think it will prevent the BBC from carrying out it's functions in providing facts and the truth in an unbiased manner.
    journalists are entitled to their opinion, it's not north corea, they have no obligation to side with the government, and they make it clear on their social media if they work for the BBC that their opinions don't necessarily represent their employer which is absolutely enough.
    Look at it this way:
    It is abhorrent for people to join a publicly funded organisation and become very wealthy from that employment. At RTE, we have a number of millionaires as a direct result of becoming staff members at RTE. That is appalling for a tax/license fee funded national broadcaster.

RTE should be wound down and replaced with a Public Broadcasting Service, with one television and two radio stations at most. Funding would come from subscriptions and some state funding. The PBS model would rid RTE of the nepotism/cronyism that is not hidden there, the extremely poor service quality, and the massive waste of public money. By changing the model, we would receive a fairer and impartial national broadcaster with an improved quality in programming and news presentation, which would result in more subscriptions and inward investment.

EDIT: I would actually have 2 television stations. One would be for news/current affairs/home-grown programming and the other would have children, educational, and cultural programming. The educational aspect of the second station is important, and could be used as a teaching tool if the current worldwide pandemic continues. Of course, online offerings would also be necessary at IPBS ........... but with a properly tested and functional brand new app.

it's perfectly fine for people to be payed well for their work, you are not going to get people to stick around at a public broadcaster that pays barely anything.
    2 radio stations are not going to be able to provide the divercity of services that are currently provided, so the majority of the stations have to stay.
    a subscription model is unviable as no matter how good the content, nobody is going to pay for content that has always been free to air, which i suspect is the whole point, to cripple the organisation with a hope of replacing it with the propaganda machine so longed for by a tiny minority of irrelevant individuals with irrelevant views.
    as i have said, you are not getting the propaganda machine for your irrelevant, ultra-minority views, you will have to stick to facebook and youtube and similar for your news.
    you

me? i wish.

there was enough balance where it was possible to have it.
    facts are facts, you can't have balance in relation to established facts.

facts are facts, rte report the facts. no matter how much you screach, they are not going to have crackpot conspiricy theorists on air.
    if there are individuals of opposite opinions who can demonstrate those opinions with evidence then they will be and have been on rte.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

RTÉ are worse than the BBC and peers for bias. Their news articles covering US elections are blatantly biased with no effort to express themselves in a neutral way. In anything where the System has decided, RTÉ will variously attack or ignore. It needs massive reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

George will be lecturing us tonight. Close the pubs and stay alert.

George has no dog in the fight. He collects his pay cheque and lectures us.

Maybe he should go up for election.

Advertisement