Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Economic Collapse

RTÉ are worse than the BBC and peers for bias. Their news articles covering US elections are blatantly biased with no effort to express themselves in a neutral way. In anything where the System has decided, RTÉ will variously attack or ignore. It needs massive reform.
    There is a far bigger case for Defunding RTE than the BBC.

RTE's obsession and bias towards the American Democrat party is unbelievable. The D4 Washington correspondent Richard O'Donaghue is an utter disgrace. His daily rants against Trump are increasingly unhinged and the bias in ridiculous.

Pelezico wrote: »
    George will be lecturing us tonight. Close the pubs and stay alert.

George has no dog in the fight. He collects his pay cheque and lectures us.

Maybe he should go up for election.

George Lee resigned from the Dail because the massive wages weren't enough for him and his wife. The greed from these people at taxpayers expense is unreal.

And he has the gall to lecture the nation and talk down to people every day. What a prick he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

George Lee resigned from the Dail because the massive wages weren't enough for him and his wife. The greed from these people at taxpayers expense is unreal.

And he has the gall to lecture the nation and talk down to people every day. What a prick he is.

As you say he is no longer a legislator.

You may not like his style but he is just interpreting and commenting on rules and guidelines decided by others.

elperello wrote: »
    As you say he is no longer a legislator.

You may not like his style but he is just interpreting and commenting on rules and guidelines decided by others.
    Poor George spent the last few years with his daily self righteous rants about climate change and how we all need to do more. Something about a millionaire TV broadcaster lecturing people in such a way is absurd.

I have no doubt George Lee and RTEs daily sermons on Global Warming helped put these Green Party idiots in Government again. Bravo RTE it's going so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There is a far bigger case for Defunding RTE than the BBC.

RTE's obsession and bias towards the American Democrat party is unbelievable. The D4 Washington correspondent Richard O'Donaghue is an utter disgrace. His daily rants against Trump are increasingly unhinged and the bias in ridiculous.

that's because trump is incompetent and everything else.
    when a politician is so incompetent, then i'm afraid the facts are going to show this and are going to be reported, meaning those who see that politician as a hero will cry bias when there is none.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

kenmm wrote: »
    Ok, one more loop of the circle: I don't think stories and anecdotes on the internet constitute a strong case for bias. I am not denying it's existence with this statement, just would be nice to see some hard evidence. I don't know about you, but I like to look beyond what's written, otherwise we just all jump on the same bandwagon.

one more loop!!! - christ the ring of kerry wouldnt be good enough for you

what do you do get the information in put it in a blender

Poor George spent the last few years with his daily self righteous rants about climate change and how we all need to do more. Something about a millionaire TV broadcaster lecturing people in such a way is absurd.

I have no doubt George Lee and RTEs daily sermons on Global Warming helped put these Green Party idiots in Government again. Bravo RTE it's going so well.

Climate change is a big threat to the planet and we certainly do need to do more.

It really doesn't matter who the message comes from the facts are the same.

The Green Party TD's got elected because people voted for them.

It's ok if you don't like George.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

It is hard to stomach Grorges daily lecture. I genuinely thought I was alone I that.

He rams it down our throats about our collective responsibilities. The eck of the man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

elperello wrote: »
    Climate change is a big threat to the planet and we certainly do need to do more.

It really doesn't matter who the message comes from the facts are the same.

The Green Party TD's got elected because people voted for them.

It's ok if you don't like George.

Blown out proportion just like Covid 1984. I like how liberals go on about climate change but also think we should all be wearing masks. Seem to be very silent on all the masks that end up in the sea. Suppose that doesn't suit the agenda.

that's because trump is incompetent and everything else.
    when a politician is so incompetent, then i'm afraid the facts are going to show this and are going to be reported, meaning those who see that politician as a hero will cry bias when there is none.

No it's just the usual orange man bad nonsense. Unemployment was at an all time low in the US until the Democrat imposed lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Luke O'Neill is fine but there isnt balance. Too many doctors and biologists giving their thoughts on the economics on RTE. Balance would be having economists discussing the trade offs of shut downs etc. Just like their coverage on climate change. RTE rarely talks about the costs to Ireland of climate change mitigation vs the cost of damage, or the technological solutions.

Pelezico wrote: »
    It is hard to stomach Grorges daily lecture. I genuinely thought I was alone I that.

He rams it down our throats about our collective responsibilities. The eck of the man.

he's 100% correct.
    if you don't want him to lecture you, then you know what you need to do.
    just follow what is asked of you and do your bit.
    GT89 wrote: »
    Blown out proportion just like Covid 1984. I like how liberals go on about climate change but also think we should all be wearing masks. Seem to very silent on all the masks that end up in the sea. Suppose that doesn't suit the agenda.

nope wrong, not blown out of proportion at all but 100% proportionate.
    there is no such thing as covid 1984, it is called covid 19 and it is very serious if left unchecked.
    climate change is also a major major issue and will be a threat if we don't take some simple measures.
    if masks are ending up in the sea then that is wrong but the wearing of them is absolutely correct in helping to try and slow down the spread of covid 19 so that we can continue to manage it.
    No it's just the usual orange man bad nonsense. Unemployment was at an all time low in the US until the Democrat imposed lockdowns.

no it's reporting the facts in relation to trump, who is incompetent.
    if the democrats didn't impose lockdowns where they could then the death tole would probably end up being on a scale never seen before in peace time.

Blown out proportion just like Covid 1984. I like how liberals go on about climate change but also think we should all be wearing masks. Seem to very silent on all the masks that end up in the sea. Suppose that doesn't suit the agenda.

If you think that Climate Change and Covid 19 are blown out of proportion that's your prerogative.

This thread is about RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

he's 100% correct.

there is no such thing as covid 1984, it is called covid 19 and it is very serious if left unchecked.
    climate change is also a major major issue and will be a threat if we don't take some simple measures.
    if masks are ending up in the sea then that is wrong but the wearing of them is absolutely correct in helping to try and slow down the spread of covid 19 so that we can continue to manage it.

no it's reporting the facts in relation to trump, who is incompetent.
    if the democrats didn't impose lockdowns where they could then the death tole would probably end up being on a scale never seen before in peace time.

I am not a fan of George, hectoring and speaking historically.

This is the news, not a lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

he's 100% correct.

Ladies and Gentlemen: Welcome to George Orwell's 1984.
    RTE is the Ministry of Truth.
    And our dystopian future has started ........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RTÉ are worse than the BBC and peers for bias. Their news articles covering US elections are blatantly biased with no effort to express themselves in a neutral way. In anything where the System has decided, RTÉ will variously attack or ignore. It needs massive reform.

RTE make the BBC look like fox news

he's 100% correct.

So put up and shut up is basically what you are saying? How about if you don't like George Lee lecturing don't watch RTE and stop paying the TV tax oh wait you can not watch RTE but you are breaking the paw not to pay the TV licence which is in reality a tax not licence for the privilege of watching RTE.

If we believed what the experts were saying about the climate 30 years we should all be dead by now but we are not just like with Covid but yet in lockdown and mask free Sweden people are still living their normal lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

This thread is 40 pages long. Is RTE still being funded at this point?

Good news from the UK Tory MPs are to table a bill to defund the BBC. We need this here with RTE pity our politician's lack the courage they have to confine you to 2km of your home, keep the pubs closed and require you to wear a mask.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/08/27/fed-up-with-bbc-climate-activism-tory-mps-table-bills-to-defund-the-bbc/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tired332

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen: Welcome to George Orwell's 1984.
    RTE is the Ministry of Truth.
    And our dystopian future has started ........

I need to buy this guys book his name keeps getting mentioned in different forums, I've just read a brief synopsis about the book and well .. Scary times ahead indeed.

• Advertisement

So put up and shut up is basically what you are saying? How about if you don't like George Lee lecturing don't watch RTE and stop paying the TV tax oh wait you can not watch RTE but you are breaking the paw not to pay the TV licence which is in reality a tax not licence for the privilege of watching RTE.

no it's a tax for owning a television capable of receiving a terrestrial television signal.
    If we believed what the experts were saying about the climate 30 years we should all be dead by now but we are not

thankfully we are not, however the experts at the time could only go on the information they had, which is forever changing.
    jusst because they thankfully were wrong back then, doesn't mean they are wrong now, or will be in the future.
    just like with Covid but yet in lockdown and mask free Sweden people are still living their normal lives.

there are restrictions there as well.
    their approach not leading to an italy situation does not mean it was correct and ours not so, ultimately we will never know how they would have faired if they had gone for a lockdown.
    so it's not the trump card in your favour like you think.

no it's a tax for owning a television capable of receiving a terrestrial television signal.

It will soon be required in 2024 if you have a phone also

https://www.thejournal.ie/tv-licence-phones-laptops-4748828-Aug2019/
    thankfully we are not, however the experts at the time could only go on the information they had, which is forever changing.
    jusst because they thankfully were wrong back then, doesn't mean they are wrong now, or will be in the future.

So your basically saying the same people who were wrong with their predictions 30 years ago predictions should be listened to now for 30 years time. Why listen to people now who wrong about the same topic in the past.
    there are restrictions there as well.
    their approach not leading to an italy situation does not mean it was correct and ours not so, ultimately we will never know how they would have faired if they had gone for a lockdown.
    so it's not the trump card in your favour like you think.

I never said they didn't have restrictions all I said was there was no lockdown and people are not required to wear masks in any settings.

It will soon be required in 2024 if you have a phone also

https://www.thejournal.ie/tv-licence-phones-laptops-4748828-Aug2019/

yes and i disagree that should be the case.
    So your basically saying the same people who were wrong with their predictions 30 years ago predictions should be listened to now for 30 years time. Why listen to people now who wrong about the same topic in the past.

it's not just the same experts, new experts are talking along the same lines, based on new evidence, also science and all related is changing all the time with technology being a help.
    I never said they didn't have restrictions all I said was there was no lockdown and people are not required to wear masks in any settings.

but so what? it doesn't invalidate our approach, nor does it prove their approach is correct or incorrect or prove that ours is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Re climate change: let's not also forget the massive changes that have happened as a result of scientific research. They weren't particularly wrong 30 years ago, we just made a lot of changes. Big difference from 80s to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Good news from the UK Tory MPs are to table a bill to defund the BBC. We need this here with RTE pity our politician's lack the courage they have to confine you to 2km of your home, keep the pubs closed and require you to wear a mask.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/08/27/fed-up-with-bbc-climate-activism-tory-mps-table-bills-to-defund-the-bbc/

Yes, courageous MPs in the UK, dismantling the BBC after years of propeganda around bias, they finally have the bravery to table a bill to really do the right thing for the people.
    Except it's obvious to anyone who stops to about the real reasons behind getting rid of them. Unfortunately not enough people stop to think anymore, and are quite happily lapping it up.

To those taking about 1984. BBC aren't the ministry of information, that's the gov press office and whatever replaces the BBC will be a more direct output of propeganda.

Tired332 wrote: »
    I need to buy this guys book his name keeps getting mentioned in different forums, I've just read a brief synopsis about the book and well .. Scary times ahead indeed.
    Highly recommend it.
    Not wanting to spoil it for you, but that dystopian world began with a worldwide pandemic, then economic ruin, then .... :eek:

kenmm wrote: »

To those taking about 1984. BBC aren't the ministry of information, that's the gov press office and whatever replaces the BBC will be a more direct output of propeganda.
    When the pandemic national lockdown was in full force in Ireland, and 5,000 people marched in Dublin to support BLM, I fully equated RTE with the Ministry of Truth on the way they provided the news of that march to the people of Ireland. They reported glowingly on the protestors and RTE did not once mention the appalling situation of this large protest occurring during a time when so many of our fellow citizens were dying in nursing homes. Not one RTE report mentioned the violation of the regulations/guidelines that was in place at the time to prohibit mass gatherings.

I would like to see RTE scrapped because I have no hope that they can reform. The ideologues that run the place will never give up power.
    But we need to fill that void with a public entity. Just like kenmm hinted at a number of times on this thread, it would be an unmitigated disaster if private individuals or companies replaced RTE. The PBS model in the States is a good model to look at. The Irish public broadcasting service could partner with PBS organisations all around the world for content, which would save a lot of money. Having a fair and impartial organisation as a national broadcaster would be a primary goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Kivaro wrote: »
    When the pandemic national lockdown was in full force in Ireland, and 5,000 people marched in Dublin to support BLM, I fully equated RTE with the Ministry of Truth on the way they provided the news of that march to the people of Ireland. They reported glowingly on the protestors and RTE did not once mention the appalling situation of this large protest occurring during a time when so many of our fellow citizens were dying in nursing homes. Not one RTE report mentioned the violation of the regulations/guidelines that was in place at the time to prohibit mass gatherings.

I would like to see RTE scrapped because I have no hope that they can reform. The ideologues that run the place will never give up power.
    But we need to fill that void with a public entity. Just like kenmm hinted at a number of times on this thread, it would be an unmitigated disaster if private individuals or companies replaced RTE. The PBS model in the States is a good model to look at. The Irish public broadcasting service could partner with PBS organisations all around the world for content, which would save a lot of money. Having a fair and impartial organisation as a national broadcaster would be a primary goal.

I mean, if you don't want the national broadcaster reporting on one of the biggest news stories of the day ( which goes against your agenda)... I guess it makes sense...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0527/1143036-covid-deaths-ireland/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2020/0528/1143221-how-covid-19-hit-irelands-nursing-homes/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0501/1135937-coronavirus-ireland/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0423/1134247-covid-19_figures/

seems very dystopian alright

arccosh wrote: »
    Well, that's an odd response.
    Either you misread my post or just didn't understand it.
    I never said that RTE did not report on Covid and I did not say that they did not report on the 5,000 people BLM march in Dublin.
    What I said is that RTE did not make any mention of the protest happening at a time during a national lockdown when many Irish people were dying on a daily basis in nursing homes.

I looked at your links and there is no mention by RTE of the march occurring during a prohibition/guideline recommendation against mass gatherings.
    Weird links to provide actually based on the content of my post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

**sigh** the links are from before the BLM protests, so obviously won't have a mention to them (although, under dystopian rule,maybe they should?)

April/May was pretty much care home deaths, COVID deaths non stop in the news, those links are a tiny sample of what's on RTE...
    If it hadn't hit home over those 2 months of your moral obligations to fight any virus pandemic, I think you'll have a hard time doing so...

As a result, maybe RTE took a day off emphasising what people should and shouldn't be doing to highlight what other people might think is also an important agenda at the time (how dystopian of them, right?)... but looking at the quick links again I don't get that impression from RTE...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0602/1145043-dublin-protest/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0606/1145864-anti-racism-protests-ireland/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0603/1145232-black-lives-matter-protest-dublin/

(caveat... I also think RTE can be a crock of sh*t, and people should get more bang for their TV licence buck)

Advertisement