Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

arccosh wrote: »
    **sigh** the links are from before the BLM protests, so obviously won't have a mention to them (although, under dystopian rule,maybe they should?)

April/May was pretty much care home deaths, COVID deaths non stop in the news, those links are a tiny sample of what's on RTE...
    But that was not in dispute. You provided 4 generic links of RTE Covid coverage not related to the point being discussed. It would be very silly for anyone to say that RTE did not provide Covid reports during this pandemic; yet you still provided those generic links. Not sure at this stage if it was just confusion, or deflection.
    Now you provide more links about the BLM march in Dublin. That is also never in dispute; I even mentioned the coverage in my post. I am wise enough at this stage not to click into those links, as I presume that they are generic RTE reports on the march. Nobody said that RTE did not report this event.

However if you can provide a link to an RTE report on the day that called into the question the suitability of a 5,000 person protest during the middle of a national lockdown in a worldwide pandemic, then I will definitely look at that. At the time, when news broke about this march and protest, it came as a shock to many of us who were respecting the requests of the HSE and the government to stay isolated at home. When I checked RTE's version of events that day, all I could see were reports from them extolling the virtue of the protestors .... without any mention of how it conflicted with the lockdown or mass gatherings during a viral pandemic while our vulnerable citizens were dying in nursing homes. RTE reporters were even trying to tell us on the news that night that social distancing was practiced by the protestors as a whole, which was obviously untrue.
    As a result, maybe RTE took a day off ......
    They took a day off providing impartial coverage of the event alright ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Kivaro wrote: »
    However if you can provide a link to an RTE report on the day that called into the question the suitability of a 5,000 person protest during the middle of a national lockdown in a worldwide pandemic, then I will definitely look at that..

here you go, both sides of the coin about the protest, same day from RTE (02 June).
    I think it was pretty impartial of them reporting a worldwide protest for what it was ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0601/1144819-protest/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0602/1145043-dublin-protest/

that was the illegal one, maybe the legal news story was more what you preffered....

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0606/1145864-anti-racism-protests-ireland/

They took a day off providing impartial coverage of the event alright ....

:pac::pac: I knew you'd requote that

here you go, both sides of the coin about the protest, same day from RTE (02 June).
    I think it was pretty impartial of them reporting a worldwide protest for what it was ...

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0601/1144819-protest/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0602/1145043-dublin-protest/

that was the illegal one, maybe the legal news story was more what you preffered....

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0606/1145864-anti-racism-protests-ireland/

:pac::pac: I knew you'd requote that
    Thank you for the links arccosh; a good faith effort.
    The reason why I asked for a link to an RTE report on the day (see above) is because RTE got stick about their reporting that day and adjusted it the days following the event. My experience on the day of the protest was to seek out news about the event and felt I was in the Twilight Zone upon reading about the march and protest, as RTE seemed to glorify the protesters and never mentioned the restrictions in place or virus risks of mass gatherings at the time.

Your first link has no reference to the restrictions or the pandemic, which proves my point. The second link was from the day after the event, where the Gardai were looking into violations. Once again, I was seeking out the RTE reports that many of us reading that day. And your 3rd link was a report 6 days after the event.

I wanted links from that day because that was how the general public was getting their information at that point in time. RTE omitting the pandemic restrictions during a time of many Irish deaths was glaring at the time, and irrespective of the cause of the protest they should have questioned the validity of any mass gatherings while the rest of the country was on lockdown. RTE did not ..... on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

kenmm wrote: »
    Re climate change: let's not also forget the massive changes that have happened as a result of scientific research. They weren't particularly wrong 30 years ago, we just made a lot of changes. Big difference from 80s to now.

good point and i agree.
    When the pandemic national lockdown was in full force in Ireland, and 5,000 people marched in Dublin to support BLM, I fully equated RTE with the Ministry of Truth on the way they provided the news of that march to the people of Ireland. They reported glowingly on the protestors and RTE did not once mention the appalling situation of this large protest occurring during a time when so many of our fellow citizens were dying in nursing homes. Not one RTE report mentioned the violation of the regulations/guidelines that was in place at the time to prohibit mass gatherings.

I would like to see RTE scrapped because I have no hope that they can reform. The ideologues that run the place will never give up power.
    But we need to fill that void with a public entity. Just like kenmm hinted at a number of times on this thread, it would be an unmitigated disaster if private individuals or companies replaced RTE. The PBS model in the States is a good model to look at. The Irish public broadcasting service could partner with PBS organisations all around the world for content, which would save a lot of money. Having a fair and impartial organisation as a national broadcaster would be a primary goal.

it was not on rte to condone or condemn the protest but to report on the facts surrounding it happening, which they did.
    people already knew it was in breach of restrictions and guidelines and don't need to be told what they already know, hence rte didn't waste their time telling us what we already knew.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Your first link has no reference to the restrictions or the pandemic, which proves my point. The second link was from the day after the event, where the Gardai were looking into violations. Once again, I was seeking out the RTE reports that many of us reading that day. And your 3rd link was a report 6 days after the event.

I know... the point was you had 2 stories from the day of the protests on 2nd of June, which was the day the illegal protest took place...one specifically about the protest and why it was happening, the other about the repricusions from it..... I think that's as impartial as you can get...

Also having been subjected to continuous "do not gather in large groups", "wear a face mask in public places" along with the numerous stories of death and dispare the previous 2 months, I don't think it took a genius to conclude that this gathering was a bad idea and there would be fallout from it.... (or maybe it does, and that's your point?)

The 3rd link was of the "legal" protest the following, where RTE had a reporting change, and was suggesting this was probably more to your desire.

• Advertisement

people already knew it was in breach of restrictions and guidelines and don't need to be told what they already know, hence rte didn't waste their time telling us what we already knew.

And then we have this from yesterday:
    Originally Posted by Pelezico viewpost.gif
    It is hard to stomach Georges daily lecture. I genuinely thought I was alone I that.

He rams it down our throats about our collective responsibilities. The eck of the man.
    he's 100% correct.

Hmmmmm ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I know... the point was you had 2 stories from the day of the protests on 2nd of June, which was the day the illegal protest took place...one specifically about the protest and why it was happening, the other about the repricusions from it..... I think that's as impartial as you can get...

If I recall correctly, RTE also broadcast a report stating that future protests had been cancelled because of health concerns due to Covid and possible prosecution.

RTE's reporting on this, relatively, mickey mouse BLM event seems to be completely impartial. Trying to use it as an example of a "bias" of any sort is farcical.

Also having been subjected to continuous "do not gather in large groups", "wear a face mask in public places" along with the numerous stories of death and dispare the previous 2 months, I don't think it took a genius to conclude that this gathering was a bad idea and there would be fallout from it.... (or maybe it does, and that's your point?)

The 3rd link was of the "legal" protest the following, where RTE had a reporting change, and was suggesting this was probably more to your desire.
    The day of the protest was Monday June 1st, 2020; not June 2nd, as you believe above. You provided links from the day after.
    Maybe that's where you are confused. I wanted RTE links from the day that it was happening. RTE reporting changed after the June 1st event, which was a different narrative to what they reported on protest day. The way RTE reported the BLM march on June 1st was as if there was no pandemic, no national lockdown, or no Covid deaths on that day.

The mass gathering contravened the collective effort to protect our society; yet RTE made no reference to it ... on the day.

And then we have this from yesterday:

Hmmmmm ...

yeah, absolutely nothing there that could act as any sort of point in favour of your non-issue.
    both responces are correct in terms of the point made and the situations which said points discuss.
    you have no complaint, rte reported the facts of the protest which is their job, it is not their job to condone or condemn, just report the facts which they did.
    your real issue is that they reported on blm in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

yeah, absolutely nothing there that could act as any sort of point in favour of your non-issue.
    both responces are correct in terms of the point made and the situations which said points discuss.
    you have no complaint, rte reported the facts of the protest which is their job, it is not their job to condone or condemn, just report the facts which they did.
    your real issue is that they reported on blm in the first place.
    C

It is not George Lee's place to lecture and harangue. State the facts with no hysteria and preaching.

Preaching is not news.

• Advertisement

The day of the protest was Monday June 1st, 2020; not June 2nd, as you believe above. You provided links from the day after.
    Maybe that's where you are confused. I wanted RTE links from the day that it was happening. RTE reporting changed after the June 1st event, which was a different narrative to what they reported on protest day. The way RTE reported the BLM march on June 1st was as if there was no pandemic, no national lockdown, or no Covid deaths on that day.

The mass gathering contravened the collective effort to protect our society; yet RTE made no reference to it ... on the day.

my bad on the date, I still don't see what the issue is though:

BLM report on 6 o clock news 1st June
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2020/0601/21779585-black-lives-matter-protest-takes-place-in-dublin/

BLM report on 9 o clock news 1st June
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2020/0601/21779603-black-lives-matter-protest-takes-place-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pelezico wrote: »
    C

It is not George Lee's place to lecture and harangue. State the facts with no hysteria and preaching.

Preaching is not news.

That's just your perception.

I don't see his reports in that light at all.

By the way he is a correspondent not a news reader.

Pelezico wrote: »
    C

Preaching is not news.

that's exactly what he does, report the information.
    if one feels lectured to then it's because perhapse they need it.

fits wrote: »
    Just renewed the license there. Think they’re doing a great job at the moment.

That's kind of proving the point.

If you are happy with the service and want to contribute, then do.

If people who aren't happy with the service are forced to pay, then that's the problem.

That's kind of proving the point.

If you are happy with the service and want to contribute, then do.

If people who aren't happy with the service are forced to pay, then that's the problem.

Yes. That is the problem. And there are few who'd disagree that RTE's bloated budget and it's siphoning off of money from the licence payer for owning a television set is a legitimate cause for complaint.

Hot air about a so called "bias" in its news reporting isn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

still tho, can't wait for the Fair City return next week :)

1990sman wrote: »
    still tho, can't wait for the Fair City return next week :)

LOL.

You just put everyone in the Defund RTE camp. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Time to defund RTE. Too close to FG. If they want their own media company pay for it themselves and own it.

https://twitter.com/BrianDBourke/status/1300365700805124098?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

kathryn Thomas has her and her child splashed over some crap version of hello magazine. Something about returning to her roots and she wasnt talking about her hair. Poor old thing ..god love her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Who, what?

• Advertisement

(Off topic, but it somehow reminded me of this thread)

Now, THIS is an example of bias:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/landing/official-sotu-approval-poll

Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not only would I not defund RTÉ, but I’d increase the licence fee to approximately €300, have it collected at source from either social welfare or payroll, remove the free licence for pensioners, and have a portion amount of the licence fee made available to independent journalism as well.

Public service broadcasting is critically important to democracy.

This, all day long.

Funding model - not sure - but why not lump it in with general taxation - with everything else - those that earn more pay more.

Not only would I not defund RTÉ, but I’d increase the licence fee to approximately €300, have it collected at source from either social welfare or payroll, remove the free licence for pensioners, and have a portion amount of the licence fee made available to independent journalism as well.

Dee Forbes wanted to double the license fee too, as she said we (the plebs) were getting great value for money at that price.
    I don't know what you are smoking, but it is a bit early for it.

RTE is the most divisive entity in the State at the moment. Their mission statement, outside of making themselves/family/friends very comfortable financially, is to make the whole country as miserable as possible. They continue to offer piss poor programming and show bias on a daily basis, and irrespective of what the RTE heads (or their family members) try to tell us on here, they are a quango that should be consigned to the annals of history, or I should say the anals of history. If the RTE quango is replaced by a real public broadcasting service, then the vast majority of the country will support it.

Dee Forbes wanted to double the license fee too, as she said we (the plebs) were getting great value for money at that price.

RTE is the most divisive entity in the State at the moment. Their mission statement, outside of making themselves/family/friends very comfortable financially, is to make the whole country as miserable as possible. They continue to offer piss poor programming and show bias on a daily basis, and irrespective of what the RTE heads (or their family members) try to tell us on here, they are a quango that should be consigned to the annals of history, or I should say the anals of history. If the RTE quango is replaced by a real public broadcasting service, then the vast majority of the country will support it.

You claim they show bias because you don’t hold normal political viewpoints. It’s not the job of a public service broadcaster to represent the views of everyone, especially if they have bizarre and frankly outdated views on the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Could argue that public service news broadcasting is critically important to democracy, I wouldn't but you could. But how does the rest of RTE's fair help at all with democracy.

Are all the protest and unrest currently due to the lack of Fair City ( good thing it's coming back)

The most autocratic countries love their state media.

But dream on, when the UK is defunding the BBC then no spineless Irish politician is going to increase it with that going on across the Irish sea.

in terms of the current affairs stuff, she is correct.
    in terms of the entertainment and other fluff, she would be incorrect there.
    RTE is the most divisive entity in the State at the moment.

no it isn't. most people don't care one way or another.
    it's divisive to you because it won't broadcast your ultra-minority, outdated views, which is quite right and it's not it's job to do.
    Their mission statement, outside of making themselves/family/friends very comfortable financially, is to make the whole country as miserable as possible.

their mission is to educate, inform and entertain.
    they absolutely do inform, they may educate some and they may entertain some but certainly the entertaining is where they fall massively short. which is why they should possibly move away from it and focus on the current affairs and minority programming.
    They continue to offer piss poor programming and show bias on a daily basis, and irrespective of what the RTE heads (or their family members) try to tell us on here, they are a quango that should be consigned to the annals of history, or I should say the anals of history. If the RTE quango is replaced by a real public broadcasting service, then the vast majority of the country will support it.

rte don't show bias, as it would not be allowed. your issue as i said is you cannot deal with the reality that your ultra-minority views have little interest and are not such that need to be broadcasted as it's not the broadcaster's job t broadcast them.
    we have a real public service broadcaster in rte, it's the area they actualy do quite well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wouldn't call it bias as such but they often seem to promote a 'Government line' like the campaign against public pay a few years ago. When FF were in power a programme about FG being at war with itself and recently a programme about M Martin and the smoking ban.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it bias as such but they often seem to promote a 'Government line' like the campaign against public pay a few years ago. When FF were in power a programme about FG being at war with itself and recently a programme about M Martin and the smoking ban.
    It is more than promoting the government line.
    RTE are the voice of this government, and the citizens are required to pay the tax to support this voice. Just heard on the radio people lambasting the Late Late Show scheduled interview tonight with NPHET's "acting" head. Wonder will Dr Ronan Glynn sit on Ryan Tubridy's lap, as he describes how the next 2 weeks will be critical and how concerned he is with the current numbers. I'm sure the two millionaires (both from Irish taxes) will frighten the old people of Ireland who still watch that show.
    It will be a prime example of RTE bias, with no real alternative view aired.

• Advertisement

It is more than promoting the government line.
    RTE are the voice of this government, and the citizens are required to pay the tax to support this voice. Just heard on the radio people lambasting the Late Late Show scheduled interview tonight with NPHET's "acting" head. Wonder will Dr Ronan Glynn sit on Ryan Tubridy's lap, as he describes how the next 2 weeks will be critical and how concerned he is with the current numbers. I'm sure the two millionaires (both from Irish taxes) will frighten the old people of Ireland who still watch that show.
    It will be a prime example of RTE bias, with no real alternative view aired.

What sort of alternative views would you like to have aired?

Advertisement