Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Bob24 wrote: »
    What percentage of BBC journalists would you say are leavers?

But the question is what percentage of Journalists allow their own political views to cloud their profession.

At the BBC the are not allowed to spot whatever they want, despite what others will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I also hate their left wing bias and how they try to pretend we're some sort of diverse country full of black people (why do they do this?)

IMO the 2 things are related: because they can’t achieve diversity of opinions they are aiming for gender or racial diversity to be able to say they are a diverse organisation.

And of course anyone regardless of gender or skin colour should have equal opportunity to join RTÉ, but it shouldn’t be the only thing diversity means for a public broadcaster - journalists who are able to empathise with and represent various social and ideological layers of society is what RTE tends to lack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Superfoods wrote: »
    It's not a argument. One person posting about Netflix and then talking about a reduced TV license.

You don't seem to care about people struggling earlier when you suggest they pay for Freeview installations etc?

I got my first Freeview box for a tenner. A one of expense like that isn't going to cause a wave of bankruptcies.

Now, I asked you to justify this tired old culchie caricature you trotted out earlier. Whenever you're ready.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

IMO the 2 things are related: because they can’t achieve diversity of opinions they are aiming for gender or racial diversity to be able to say they are a diverse organisation.

That's a clever take on it, and kind of depressing if true.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Which part of it bothers you?

None of it. It just came across like you were trying to have a laugh.

• Advertisement

What kind of false equivalence mumbo jumbo is that :D

EDIT - btw - A quick scan of there website - Those three and Kanye West were the only black faces out of 30 + images..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kenmm wrote: »
    None of it. It just came across like you were trying to have a laugh.

To you perhaps

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    To you perhaps

yes to me, I wrote it - and I would go as far to say to a lot of people.. but you would need to do a " poll "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Why is the word defund everywhere?
    Its like people can't think for themselves anymore

Bandwagon effect.

storker wrote: »
    Bandwagon effect.

Plus lots of money spent marketing this ****..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

BBC needs to sort itself out. As the state broadcaster is is supposed to be impartial politically, that is one of the terms set down at the start so it was allowed to collect money from the public through the licence.
    They have become very pro-tory lately, especially during the last election, they don't even bother to pretend anymore.

Does RTE have to remain impartial as well in order to recieve public funding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

I got my first Freeview box for a tenner. A one of expense like that isn't going to cause a wave of bankruptcies.

Well done you, and what did you connect it to?

Now, I asked you to justify this tired old culchie caricature you trotted out earlier. Whenever you're ready.

When did I mention anything about people living in or outside a city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

RTÉ should be one channel only and solely used for news and weather bulletins, ministerial speeches and crimecall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well done you, and what did you connect it to?

My aerial.
    Can you please quote my post when I mentioned anything about a culchie? or anything that suggested I talked about people living in or outside a city?

Don't prevaricate please. You accused me of wanting to cut people off as apparently, RTÉ is all they have. Apparently, they can neither afford a Freeview box, the internet or Netflix but can easily afford RTÉ's extortionate fee.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

They have become very pro-tory lately, especially during the last election, they don't even bother to pretend anymore.

I'm not even sure that's the case (and many would say "too liberal"). Some of their top political correspondents would be strong conservative, but also capable of keeping their politics separate from their journalism.

I think the real issue is the death of journalism. So many of them are happy to trot out the latest government press release without question, because if they don't then they don't get invited to the party / next big press event.

Fixing that sort of problem is what I would like to discuss, rather than being railroaded into this fake defund the BBC (Or RTE or whatever) argument.

Does RTE have to remain impartial as well in order to recieve public funding?

I would like to know as well - are there the same sort of charters in place as BBC?

My aerial.

So the aerial is free? Quick google and installation of freeview and Saorview is a couple of hundred starting.

A standard aerial in Ireland will not support Freeview according to the website I have checked. Do you have information to contradict that .

Don't prevaricate please. You accused me of wanting to cut people off as apparently, RTÉ is all they have. Apparently, they can neither afford a Freeview box, the internet or Netflix but can easily afford RTÉ's extortionate fee.

So you lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not even sure that's the case (and many would say "too liberal"). Some of their top political correspondents would be strong conservative, but also capable of keeping their politics separate from their journalism.
    Their political editor is seemingly incapable of that.

Question Time is very strange the last few years too.

Their political editor is seemingly incapable of that.

Question Time is very strange the last few years too.

ye - ok - Andrew Neil aside maybe :D - I always laugh at that one given his Paisley roots (Strong working class area in central Scotland)

So the aerial is free? Quick google and installation of freeview and Saorview is a couple of hundred starting.

A standard aerial in Ireland will not support Freeview according to the website I have checked. Do you have information to contradict that .

So 2 years of RTÉ then if I take your word for it which I don't. I'll provide information once you answer my earlier question.
    So you lied.

Answer the question please. How many people in Ireland are stuck with only RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

RTE should just be a news and current affairs channel, we should not have to pay them to show us reruns of friends or Mrs Brownes Boys.

Somebody needs to stand up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

satguy wrote: »
    RTE should just be a news and current affairs channel, we should not have to pay them to show us reruns of friends or Mrs Brownes Boys.

Somebody needs to stand up to them.

You could be that someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ye - ok - Andrew Neil aside maybe :D - I always laugh at that one given his Paisley roots (Strong working class area in central Scotland)

I was actually talking about Kuenssberg :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

You could be that someone!

Someone in power.

Why should we fund their lavish lifestyles,, while they stick us with endless repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RTÉ should be one channel only and solely used for news and weather bulletins, ministerial speeches and crimecall.

You will no doubt be pleased to hear North Korea is lobbying to be added to the Green List.

Answer the question please. How many people in Ireland are stuck with only RTÉ?

Are you the boss of boards?

Running around lying and then throwing out demands. Who do you think you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

satguy wrote: »
    Someone in power.

Why should we fund their lavish lifestyles,, while they stick us with endless repeats.

"Won't someone else do it"

Are you the boss of boards?

Running around lying and then throwing out demands. Who do you think you are?

I haven't lied and you know it. You've been making ridiculous claims because your so desperate to shut down any criticism of RTÉ. I'm not sure where this weird agenda comes from so unless you have something of worth to say, I will not be wasting any more time on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

You're objecting to people having to pay a one-time installation fee of circa €200 to get Saorview & Freeview, while simultaneously arguing that they should pay €160 each and every year to support RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This entire post is just a ****show of wrong information. The setup costs nothing like that when done DIY of which theres plenty of guides available for.

A standard aerial in Ireland will absolutely support freeview it just cannot support saorview and freeview at the same time.
    So you lied.

Right back at ya bud

https://www.freetv.ie/how-to-combine-saorview-and-freeview-on-the-same-digital-receiver/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I've seen a few comments on the broadcasting of 'foreign' programming and complaining that there should be much more spent on Irish shows.

In 2018 RTE spent:
    • €202.7 million on indigenous Irish programming across its channels.
    • €22.8 million on overseas programming across its channels.

So even if you removed all overseas programming entirely from RTE as a whole they would only be able to boost spending on indigenous Irish programming by approximately 11%.

And even then that boost would be contingent upon many assumptions such as commercial revenue remaining the same even if the number of programs broadcast was significantly reduced and the number of repeats or low-cost Irish programs increased proportionally.

Advertisement