Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ronivek wrote: »
    I've seen a few comments on the broadcasting of 'foreign' programming and complaining that there should be much more spent on Irish shows.

In 2018 RTE spent:
    • €202.7 million on indigenous Irish programming across its channels.
    • €22.8 million on overseas programming across its channels.

So even if you removed all overseas programming entirely from RTE as a whole they would only be able to boost spending on indigenous Irish programming by approximately 11%.

And even then that boost would be contingent upon many assumptions such as commercial revenue remaining the same even if the number of programs broadcast was significantly reduced and the number of repeats or low-cost Irish programs increased proportionally.

The problem is how RTE misspends its money, an example is the well known studio practices that basically amount to requiring 3 people to screw in a light bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can we defund the OP and the likes of the OP.

Too much spare time on their hands watching YouTube loopers and Facebook likes to grifters. Probably on the tax payers dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

ronivek wrote: »
    €202.7 million on indigenous Irish programming across its channels.

€202.7 million on what, doing their houses up while the cameras are there, and Paying their big stars to book into nice hotels, and have them film how nice the breakfast was.

It's a joke,, a big joke on us ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

it's not an rte tax but a tax for having a television which happens to go to rte.

Don't be obtuse. The licence is the main funding mechanism for RTE, who are the main beneficiaries of its revenue.
    there isn't anything regressive about it as such

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, a tax is regressive when poor people pay a higher percentage of their income than wealthier people.

Someone earning €15,000 a year pays the same TV licence fee as someone earning €250,000 a year, even though €160 is a much smaller percentage of the latter person's income. Therefore the tax is regressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

The whole Day on RTE 2 is all repeats.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/all-channels/?time=all-day&date=23-07-2020

We should not have to put up with this, we need our politicians to have our backs here, not RTE's ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

satguy wrote: »
    The whole Day on RTE 2 is all repeats.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/all-channels/?time=all-day&date=23-07-2020

We should not have to put up with this, we need our politicians to have our backs here, not RTE's ..

Bring it up with your politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

VinLieger wrote: »
    This entire post is just a ****show of wrong information. The setup costs nothing like that when done DIY of which theres plenty of guides available for.

A standard aerial in Ireland will absolutely support freeview it just cannot support saorview and freeview at the same time.

Right back at ya bud

https://www.freetv.ie/how-to-combine-saorview-and-freeview-on-the-same-digital-receiver/

This is what I posted
    A standard aerial in Ireland will not support Freeview according to the website I have checked. Do you have information to contradict that .

You found the information to contradict it, thank you bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Invidious wrote: »
    You're objecting to people having to pay a one-time installation fee of circa €200 to get Saorview & Freeview, while simultaneously arguing that they should pay €160 each and every year to support RTE?

I didn't object to anyone installing Saorview & Freeview.

I only made the point that 160 euro is good value for money for the TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't be obtuse. The licence is the main funding mechanism for RTE, who are the main beneficiaries of its revenue.

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, a tax is regressive when poor people pay a higher percentage of their income than wealthier people.

Someone earning €15,000 a year pays the same TV licence fee as someone earning €250,000 a year, even though €160 is a much smaller percentage of the latter person's income. Therefore the tax is regressive.

It's not a tax it's a licence.

You can avoid it by not participating in the activity requiring the licence.

Same arguments apply to dog licence, driving licence etc.

How about we fund Public Service Broadcasting directly from the exchequer?

That would mean no licence and everyone pays a little. No collection costs, no evasion and no enforcement expense.

Like what? I don't particularly like classical music, but I see its merits, so I would be aghast if we got rid of orchestras.

How do you decide what's culturally appropriate? Thankfully we have organisations and experts in cultural fields that get to do that on our behalf and reactionary sorts like yourself are far away from the decision-making process.

I agree that there's cultural value in classical music. But do you think "experts in cultural fields" would see similar cultural value in Winning Streak, Room to Improve, and Dancing with the Stars? Somehow I doubt it.
    You seem to oddly equate a lack of popularity with cultural significance.

Sometimes, cultural significance and popularity don't go hand-in-hand. For instance, some of our best poets earn only a tiny amount of money from the books they publish. Even at the best of times, people are hardly camping outside the National Concert Hall for tickets to the symphony. In such a case, if we want to keep certain art forms alive, there's a case to be made for state support. However, if something is both popular and culturally significant, it should be able to stand on its own two feet without needing state subsidies.
    Would you get rid of TG4?

As it exists at present, TG4 spends a substantial amount of time broadcasting American westerns and repeats of shows like Gilmore Girls and Murder She Wrote. There isn't enough demand for Irish-language programming to justify an entirely separate station. So Irish-language programming can be rolled into RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

We used to need public broadcasters. They did a good job once. The majority where very happy to support them.

They have become cess pools of cultural marxism over the last decade and only brought this ire on themselves. RTE website is a particular joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

There has never been a greater need for a national public service broadcaster. Reform RTE, don't remove it.

It used to be the broadcasting wing of the Catholic Church...Archbishop McQuaid had a "bat phone" in RTE, very literally a direct line, when McQuaid didn't like something, the phone would ring.

Defund Conservatism
    Defund RTE
    Defund AIB
    Defund ESB

Defund Waterford Crystal
    Defund the Farmers

Defund Irish Conservatism

Superfoods wrote: »
    I only made the point that 160 euro is good value for money for the TV license.

Some people rarely or never watch RTE. For such people, the licence is hardly "good value for money."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's mad. Depending on who you ask, RTE is either a hotbed of Marxist malcontents or a mouthpiece for the conservative status quo. How these coexist I'm not sure but here we are.

The ironic reality is that the loudest critics of RTE are the people who need RTE the most.

As I type this, the taxpayer-funded LyricFM is playing "The National Anthem" by Radiohead. Aren't they supposed to be a classical music station?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Anyone who thinks RTE's editorial stance is conservative these days, would really need to get out a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

There has never been a greater need for a national public service broadcaster. Reform RTE, don't remove it.

Its losing viewers all the time.

Its a dinosaur.

Its player is beyond a joke. If their is a match on the player illegal streams are more reliable.

As I type this, the taxpayer-funded LyricFM is playing "The National Anthem" by Radiohead. Aren't they supposed to be a classical music station?

"RTÉ lyric fm is a music station with a classical bias whilst also offering the listener a vast and eclectic array of music from all periods, continents, genres, styles ..."

That's The Mystery Train with John Kelly you are listening to.

If you don't get it that's ok too but it is generally well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Let me guess. Radiohead are part of a far-left cabal and RTE playing their music is a progressive coup just waiting to happen.

I'm guessing you'd much prefer a strict diet of Wagner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

It's mad. Depending on who you ask, RTE is either a hotbed of Marxist malcontents or a mouthpiece for the conservative status quo. How these coexist I'm not sure but here we are.

The ironic reality is that the loudest critics of RTE are the people who need RTE the most.

Conservatism + Marxism = ?

cyllyn28 wrote: »
    Conservatism + Marxism = ?

= Boards?

elperello wrote: »
    "RTÉ lyric fm is a music station with a classical bias whilst also offering the listener a vast and eclectic array of music from all periods, continents, genres, styles ..."

Radiohead are a mainstream rock band, routinely played on commercial radio stations around the world. Why are they on the taxpayer-funded LyricFM as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

keano_afc wrote: »
    Every time I turn on a panel discussion on RTE I see a representative from People Before Profit, so the "dont give a platform to loons and cranks" is a moot argument really.

They're not conspiracy cranks at all though

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Someone earning €250K per annum is paying a much higher tax rate and in addition is contributing to the overall welfare package that RTE receives (€50 million) outside the direct RTE TV tax from the government subvention. Jobs that pay ~250K p/a are not common and tend to come with longer work hours, meaning less time to watch RTE content so potentially the person earning those figures is getting much less value in terms of hours of content provided from RTE that the person earning €15 K.

RTE is a government sponsored enterprise that acts as media distribution platform (Broadcast) and content provider, some of that content takes the form of advertisements on behalf of commercial and state interests. The viewers and listeners of RTEs broadcasts are its product, it must deliver eyes and ears to its advertisers and the political class to justify continuity of its revenue streams, bailouts and support its debts.

The organisation must do this competing against new competition sources such as social media that did not exist for decades after it was founded when it had a greater domestic market share. To survive RTE need to update their terms of service for the 21st century but they are bound by a model devised in the 1930s.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Radiohead are a mainstream rock band, routinely played on commercial radio stations around the world. Why are they on the taxpayer-funded LyricFM as well?

I honestly don't know. I was watching Coronation Street on VM 1.

If it's really bothering you send an email to John Kelly.

You do know that Radio is free at point of use?

You don't have to pay a penny in tax or licence to enjoy it in all it's diversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I'd say that the value I get from RTE is about €30 per year from my TV Tax of €160. John Kelly is part of that value, plus Late Night on RTE Radio 1, and the weekly radio shows before 7 am weekdays and 8 am on the weekends.

However when the GroupThink crew comes on the radio at 7 am, then the liberal indoctrination begins. Nothing but Direct Provision, (only) Black Lives Matters, Traveller issues, Homelessness, and their number 1 stick to beat us with is how racist we all are to the every increasing numbers of Africans in this country. (If we are so racist, why are they still flying into Dublin in their droves seeking asylum from far flung places of ............... western Europe?)

Then there is the argument for direct taxation to solve RTE woes. This is exactly what RTE wants, and it would be an unmitigated disaster for the tax payer. Giving RTE an open chequebook through direct taxation is an appalling concept. Let them reform, or let them fail. They are not too big to fail ............. even though they think they are.

If a comet hit RTE in Donnybrook, I doubt that there would be many in the country that would shed a tear. They deserve all the ire that they receive.

I honestly don't know. I was watching Coronation Street on VM 1.

If it's really bothering you send an email to John Kelly.

Let me get this straight.

People argue that we need to fund RTE because otherwise we wouldn't have public-sector broadcasting and classical music on the radio.

But when RTE 1 is showing Neighbours, RTE 2 is showing Top Gear, and LyricFM is playing Radiohead, nobody is all that bothered because these things are popular and we like them.

Is that pretty much it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Neoliberalism rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Let me get this straight.

People argue that we need to fund RTE because otherwise we wouldn't have public-sector broadcasting and classical music on the radio.

But when RTE 1 is showing Neighbours, RTE 2 is showing Top Gear, and LyricFM is playing Radiohead, nobody is all that bothered because these things are popular and we like them.

Is that pretty much it?

No.

People are whinging that RTE isn't a far-right propaganda outlet.

Advertisement