Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They should be closed permanently because of the agendas they constantly push by whoever is pulling their strings now

it used to be the church holding the reigns

Today it is more subtle but far more dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Invidious wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.

People argue that we need to fund RTE because otherwise we wouldn't have public-sector broadcasting and classical music on the radio.

But when RTE 1 is showing Neighbours, RTE 2 is showing Top Gear, and LyricFM is playing Radiohead, nobody is all that bothered because these things are popular and we like them.

Is that pretty much it?

No it's not pretty much it.

Public Service Broadcasting can deliver a wide spectrum of entertainment, news and current affairs.

You are the one who made a big deal out of John Kelly playing Radiohead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Let me get this straight.

People argue that we need to fund RTE because otherwise we wouldn't have public-sector broadcasting and classical music on the radio.

But when RTE 1 is showing Neighbours, RTE 2 is showing Top Gear, and LyricFM is playing Radiohead, nobody is all that bothered because these things are popular and we like them.

Is that pretty much it?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kivaro wrote: »
    I'd say that the value I get from RTE is about €30 per year from my TV Tax of €160. John Kelly is part of that value, plus Late Night on RTE Radio 1, and the weekly radio shows before 7 am weekdays and 8 am on the weekends.

However when the GroupThink crew comes on the radio at 7 am, then the liberal indoctrination begins. Nothing but Direct Provision, (only) Black Lives Matters, Traveller issues, Homelessness, and their number 1 stick to beat us with is how racist we all are to the every increasing numbers of Africans in this country. (If we are so racist, why are they still flying into Dublin in their droves seeking asylum from far flung places of ............... western Europe?)

Then there is the argument for direct taxation to solve RTE woes. This is exactly what RTE wants, and it would be an unmitigated disaster for the tax payer. Giving RTE an open chequebook through direct taxation is an appalling concept. Let them reform, or let them fail. They are not too big to fail ............. even though they think they are.

If a comet hit RTE in Donnybrook, I doubt that there would be many in the country that would shed a tear. They deserve all the ire that they receive.

There's very little you can do with this sort of post. I'm oot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Today it is more subtle but far more dangerous

If you think governments are bad, you should see what the plutocratic elements of society are up to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

elperello wrote: »
    No it's not pretty much it.

Public Service Broadcasting can deliver a wide spectrum of entertainment, news and current affairs.

You are the one who made a big deal out of John Kelly playing Radiohead.

I can listen to Radiohead on any number of commercial radio stations. So what's the point of playing Radiohead as part of so-called "public service broadcasting"? Is it just a case of same content, different funding model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

I can listen to Radiohead on any number of commercial radio stations. So what's the point of playing Radiohead as part of so-called "public service broadcasting"? Is it just a case of same content, different funding model?

Im not sure your point, are you saying the lyric should not be allowed play music that other radio stations might choose to play?

We are to a certain extent going around in circles here.

Of course you can listen to Radiohead on multiple platforms.

You were listening to Mystery Train so it's fair to assume that you like the vibe.

A presenter like John Kelly puts a lot of thought into a playlist so why not just take a leap in the dark and trust that he knows what he's doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

No.

People are whinging that RTE isn't a far-right propaganda outlet.

It's a soft-far-right propaganda machine...

The priests and nuns may be gone......but now their kind work in state agencies, same old conservative tricks, same old conservative people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cyllyn28 wrote:
    It's a soft-far-right propaganda machine...

Irish media is more left than anything

• Advertisement

A presenter like John Kelly puts a lot of thought into a playlist so why not just take a leap in the dark and trust that he knows what he's doing?

His wife made him take the job at RTE....To qualify for a mortgage, and for the pension. John Kelly went down to the crossroads, and sold his soul to the Civil Service.

cyllyn28 wrote: »
    His wife made him take the job at RTE....To qualify for a mortgage, and for the pension. John Kelly went down to the crossroads, and sold his soul to the Civil Service.

Well I never a broadcaster who has bills to pay.

I guess we all have feet of clay.

Well I never a broadcaster who has bills to pay.

I guess we all have feet of clay.

Yeah....but he ended up with conservative middle-class "people"..."managing" him...The kind of people whose only "skills", being conservatism, middle-classness, the clan connections that got them a job in RTE, the conservatism that propelled them through the managerial ranks...Basically, the kind of people you'd find "running" Waterford Crystal, in its' state subsidized heyday............ He sold his soul to the conservative store...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'd say that something has cultural value if it enriches us as a nation.

Just because a show has a large indigenous audience doesn't mean it has cultural value. What exactly is the cultural value of Winning Streak, Dancing with the Stars, or Room to Improve?

I don't buy the rationale that every household must pay a regressive tax of €160 a year to keep Irish-based production companies in business. If these people are as highly skilled as you indicate, surely they can manage to make a living under their own steam?

Rte are supposed to get funding from advertising also, these programs have a lot of viewers and so command better advertising revenue.

♫....I sold my soul....to the....conservative store....♫

The once chatty....fall mysteriously silent....

♫....I sold my soul....to the....conservative store....♫

Brothers and Sisters....Living and dying, under the Neo-Christian-Brothers...or Neo-Mercy-Convent-Nuns regime....Is not something, a prison, impossible to escape from, that the conservatives, through their capture of state organizations, has brain washed you into believing...that has broken you.... That has yoked a plow to your neck like a farm animal.

Do you know why conservative "managers" love farmers so much...Because they see themselves as the conservative farmers of men....

You were listening to Mystery Train so it's fair to assume that you like the vibe.

I turned on LyricFM hoping to listen to some classical music, or at least something I wouldn't hear on TodayFM. Instead they were playing ... Radiohead.

How much thought does it require? Playing one of the biggest bands in the world on the radio is something any garden-variety DJ can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Agreed. RTÉ should be sold off on the private market or dissolved.

It’s absurd that we’re using tax revenue to maintain a television station. Fair enough, it made sense back in the sixties when there were no Irish stations and no prospect of stations being formed with private capital. Irish broadcasting may have needed a government sponsored kickstart. But in 2020 there are so many television stations available to Irish viewers (including Irish run stations) that don’t require taxpayer funding that RTÉ has lost it’s reason for existing. Before RTÉ the only stations were British ones available to people on the east coast.

Also the TV licence is an immoral tax since less and less people are watching RTÉ. People are essentially being charged for a service even if they don’t use it.

I turned on LyricFM hoping to listen to some classical music, or at least something I wouldn't hear on TodayFM. Instead they were playing ... Radiohead.

How much thought does it require? Playing one of the biggest bands in the world on the radio is something any garden-variety DJ can do.

Playing random songs is one thing a master like Kelly compiling a play list for a two hour programme is a different beast.

Fair play, like I said earlier if you don't get it that's ok too.

I guess I'll have to let it go, you are just a disappointed listener.

I won't get into the full story...but when he first started with RTE...A "manager" was sitting him down...And "teaching" the young whipper-snapper....by forcing him to insert things on the play list.....And John would have to introduce these tracks....I knew what was going on behind the "scenes"....And John would sound like he was about to break down in tears...His "teacher"...Forcing him to recite script he'd written....

Ye have to teach a young lad...doncha....They have fancy ideas..but the old ways are the best..the conservative ways are the best....Ye have to teach the young lads...That's what good "management" is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

GT89 wrote: »
    I see in the UK there is a campaign to defund the BBC why not do the same for RTE. The constant left wing bias annoys the hell out of me and the over paid talentless presenters there has been clear bias on display when it comes to things like Brexit, Trump and Coronavirus no voice from the other side. Turn it into a subscription based service like Sky or Virgin and if it dosen't make money close it down

https://www.defundbbc.uk/tv-press-radio/

If a left wing bias irritates you, removing public funding isnt the right approach. 'The left' as you call it has huge financial support from the richest individuals and corporations in the world. Should RTE or the BBC be defunded by ending public subsidy, the shortfall will simply be made up by the private sector instead.

The left wing bias will get worse not better, as once they are privately owned and funded, there is no reason for them to even loosely entertain notions of balance or objectivity. The better option is to retain public ownership and then to demand reform in the public interest.

• Advertisement

There has never been a greater need for a national public service broadcaster. Reform RTE, don't remove it.

If the government needs to communicate it’s policies to the people they can purchase airtime on private stations and newspaper ads. Surely this would be cheaper than maintaining an entire television station that less and less people are watching. Also, private stations will still cover the news. It’s not like nobody would know what was going on right now if not for RTÉ.

Playing random songs is one thing a master like Kelly compiling a play list for a two hour programme is a different beast.

You seem determined to defend playing Radiohead on LyricFM as some kind of genius move by a master craftsman.

I'm sure you'll be saying the same thing again tomorrow when he plays "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go."

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    If the government needs to communicate it’s policies to the people they can purchase airtime on private stations and newspaper ads. Surely this would be cheaper than maintaining an entire television station that less and less people are watching. Also, private stations will still cover the news. It’s not like nobody would know what was going on right now if not for RTÉ.

What if the owner of the private station disagrees with the governments policies and refuses to allow them to purchase airtime?

What if the owner of the private station influences what news is reported and how to suit their own interests?

Sand wrote: »
    What if the owner of the private station disagrees with the governments policies and refuses to allow them to purchase airtime?

What if the owner of the private station influences what news is reported and how to suit their own interests?

Then we will all look up from our phones and say "how did that happen?".

Then we will all look up from our phones and say "how did that happen?".

We're pretty much there already. Google likely has more power in influencing politics than national governments do.

This thread is a farce. Never in my life have I read so much incoherent drivel.

Well.....That would kind of be an achievement....If this ....single Boards threads out of zillions...Has hit a high water mark.

Some people have such huge chips on there shoulder.

Sure...sure..sure.....The same conservative, virtually scripted, put down trotted out again and again....I know chips are on your mind...trot along to the local chip shop website and order your usual....and eat yourself to death like the rest of the conservatives....There's only 3 or 4 years left to your conservative life, isn't there....Why are Trump rallies so poorly attended, and the polls saying he's going to lose....Look back at his 2016 rallies...look closely at his army....his conservative army.....These people are not coming to his rallies in 2020............

Some people have some chips down their bellies....down their conservative bellies....

If the government needs to communicate it’s policies to the people they can purchase airtime on private stations and newspaper ads.

All they need is a Twitter feed. Works great for the Trump Administration and doesn't cost anything.

Sand wrote: »

The private station wouldn’t have to sell airtime if they didn’t want to. Consent an’all.
    You’re right there’s nothing stopping a private station from mis-covering the news and nor should there be. But note that I said “private station(s) will still cover the news”.

In a competitive and free press, rival outlets that may have differing editorial viewpoints will keep themselves in check. Also it’s the responsibility of individuals to be well informed themselves. It’s not the responsibility of other individuals to inform them.

This is the way the press worked for hundreds of years before the goverments started treating people like idiots and spoon feeding them “objective” information. Newspapers had the “news” section and the “opinion” section and there was a wide variety of papers. But then again, people were more literate back then.

We’ve been raised on this idea that RTÉ is objective because it’s a government station. I see no reason why a station would be more objective because it’s run by the government. It’s still run by human beings who still have their own biases no matter what standards they claim to abide by.

I’d rather watch a number of stations that aren’t obliged to be objective (without paying a licence) than be fleeced with a TV licence and watch a station that purports to be objective but in reality is no more objective than the others.

The private station wouldn’t have to sell airtime if they didn’t want to. Consent an’all.

Why don't end this farce of democracy...If Dennis O'Brien can raise himself up from nothing to a billionaire with no help from noone especially not government, and governments elected by mixtures of the traveling community, people raised in council houses, Tesco workers, cleaners, etc, non-essential low skilled people...elect governments who squander billions.

The only people who should be allowed vote in this country are conservative people..It should be enshrined in the constitution.....

I'm only joking

We're on to the conservatives......Soon they'll find themselves..hundreds of thousands of them, living in conservation camps, outside Carrick-on-Suir....We've got the future all mapped out for the people who love the past.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

GT89 wrote: »
    Having people like the Professor Delores Cahill and Marcus De Brun who have different view about the lockdown and masks for example instead of constantly having Luke O'Neill and Sam McConkey on the air would be a good start. Allow us to talk about thing like Hydroxyclorquine aswell

tafuk is wrong with Luke?

Advertisement