Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defund RTE

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

theballz wrote: »
    tafuk is wrong with Luke?

Absolutely nothing but he's not the only voice on the subject there are others with the qualifications who have different opinions on the subject that should be heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Separate the public service and commercial parts of RTE.

1. Privatise the commercial part so that it can take its place alongside the other commercial channels. It can retain the name RTE. Let it sink or swim depending on how well or badly it is run just like the other channels.

2. Fund the public service part to commission cultural and educational programmes that might not be economically viable without public funding and make this programming available to the commercial channels at reasonable cost and not just to RTE. Programmes can also be sold to online streaming platforms which are becoming more important.

These are two very different functions and a lot of the problems are because they are mixed up in one organisation.

TV is changing and people are getting more into online streaming. Yet this represents a threat to RTE and in consequence will get more political in order to retain and increase the licence fee as their revenues in other areas decrease. More kowtowing to the sitting government. Less scrutiny in news programmes.

As it stands we're headed towards a State-owned entity that shows copies of UK game shows and imported entertainment that we're forced to pay for through the licence fee while viewership drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    If the government needs to communicate it’s policies to the people they can purchase airtime on private stations and newspaper ads. Surely this would be cheaper than maintaining an entire television station that less and less people are watching. Also, private stations will still cover the news. It’s not like nobody would know what was going on right now if not for RTÉ.

Public service broadcasting is not supposed to be a mouthpiece for the Gov. It should be a funded, but independent (and monitored) body that reports impartially on the events of the day.

Journalism should have a level of ethics involved, this get eroded over time with commercial entities. Having an impartial outlet in the mix can only be good. In the grand scheme of things, regarding stuff the country pays for, its fu(k all really.

These "campaigns" are never about the cost (and as stated before defund the BBC for example is a private company masquerading as a public campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

Sand wrote: »
    If a left wing bias irritates you, removing public funding isnt the right approach. 'The left' as you call it has huge financial support from the richest individuals and corporations in the world.

The richest inididuals?

Are you dog whistling the left are supported by Jews?

Listen...My National Conservative friend....Just because no one wants to pay hundreds of quid to you and your National Conservative friends, for an Iphone or some other high tech gadget, your kind could never have any hope of creating....it's not anyone else's fault the way of life, and the culture of life, the national conservatives have chosen to live....

It is not the left's fault, no one wants to pay twenty quid to a national conservative, for kilo of meat on the absolute edge of being barely acceptable as dog food....Tot up the bills...Who are really paying the bills.

Conservatism is such a worthless product, even conservatives won't pay for it.

The Left are paying the bills

The conservatives are wasting space, food, and other people's money.

Defund conservatism

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cyllyn28 wrote:
    The conservatives are wasting space, food, and other people's money.

Many conservatives exist, they should be respected just as much as us lefties, if we truly believe in democracy that is, the process of money creation is extremely magical, it's everyone's yet no one's at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

GT89 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing but he's not the only voice on the subject there are others with the qualifications who have different opinions on the subject that should be heard

No theres really not, marcus de brun and his other narcissistic ilk should not be given any kind of platform to spread their maliciously ignorant lies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

I don’t know about forcefully defunding, just an updated opt in opt out model. The attitude of RTE is that there was always an endless pot of money to dig into, essentially still riding the whole monolithic Celtic tiger attitude. I contracted for RTE a few years back and trust me, they’re just short of using money instead of toilet paper in the jacks. If there’s a meeting across towns, they don’t take taxis, they hire a fleet of private cars, generally two per car. So if there’s 10 people, they hire 5 private Mercs for a short drive. There’s also a high level of absintee workers, the permanent management types, which make up about 20% of the workforce, who generally don’t come into the office and don’t seem to really do anything. During the12 months I worked there,my teams manager never set foot in the office. I poked fun at it saying is person X alive or something to that degree, and turns out he was contracting for another company, whilst RTE was paying a full salary to him. Turns out he was related to one of the execs, but this kind of thing is common there.

Long story short, there’s more fat than meat in RTE. My parents have always paid their license fee, up until last year, when they got rid of their tv, hooked up a widescreen monitor and they’re happier than ever with Netflix and YouTube premium.

So the issue is not “value for money” as Dee Forbes constantly harps on about, its paying for something you don’t use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

TV is changing and people are getting more into online streaming. Yet this represents a threat to RTE and in consequence will get more political in order to retain and increase the licence fee as their revenues in other areas decrease. More kowtowing to the sitting government. Less scrutiny in news programmes.

As it stands we're headed towards a State-owned entity that shows copies of UK game shows and imported entertainment that we're forced to pay for through the licence fee while viewership drops.

RTE has always been a politically controlled entity by design. The television service was introduced in the 1960s as part of a modernisation program in the wake of the failure of DeValeras autarky that collapsed in the late 1950s.

Mr. Corish asked the Taoiseach whether he made suggestions to the authorities at Radio or Telefís Éireann following which news items were changed or deleted; and, if so, the number of occasions and the reasons for his actions on all such occasions.

Mr. Corish asked the Taoiseach whether he suggested to Radio or Telefís Éireann that certain individuals be not allowed to broadcast; if so, the number of occasions and the reasons for his actions on all such occasions.

The Taoiseach (Seán F. Lemass)

Radio Telefís Éireann was set up by legislation as an instrument of public policy and as such is responsible to the Government. The Government have over-all responsibility for its conduct and especially the obligation to ensure that its programmes do not offend against the public interest or conflict with national policy as defined in legislation.

To this extent the Government reject the view that Radio Telefís Éireann should be, either generally or in regard to its current affairs and news programmes, completely independent of Government supervision. As a public institution supported by public funds and operating under statute, it has the duty, while maintaining impartiality between political Parties, to present programmes which inform the public regarding current affairs, to sustain public respect for the institutions of Government and, where appropriate, to assist public understanding of the policies enshrined in legislation enacted by the Oireachtas. The Government will take such action by way of making representations or otherwise as may be necessary to ensure that Radio Telefís Éireann does not deviate from the due performance of this duty.

I do not propose to reply any more specifically to Questions Nos.2 and 3.

you can read through the rest

The primary reason for RTEs inception as a government sponsored enterprise no longer exists i.e. the then governments desire to bring Ireland up to date with the 20th century. In the 21st century Ireland is embedded in the global economy and the RTE is struggling to remain relevant to modern Irish society.

In my opinion it needs to shift its focus to unifying the Irish diaspora now that the technology permits it to do so, more on the lines of Deutsche Welle, if it wants to continue its public service remit.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

kenmm wrote: »
    Public service broadcasting is not supposed to be a mouthpiece for the Gov.

When RTE is constantly lobbying the aforementioned government for increased funding, it helps a lot to be deferential and toe the party line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Invidious wrote: »
    When RTE is constantly lobbying the aforementioned government for increased funding, it helps a lot to be deferential and toe the party line.

Hence why RTE should be shut down, they live on the license fee and that is it. Run over budget tough luck. Cut your staff.

This yearly run up to government for a top up because of mismanagement should be stopped

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

yep - so these systems should be changed to challenge these conflicts of interest. Not "Throw the whole thing out forever" - because a wholesale replacement for one system (public service broadcasting for full commercial model in this case) - will more than likely introduce further problems.

But these days everything has got to be pared down to booleans - yes/ no, left/right/, in/out etc etc.

In this case (using the BBC as an example as it was in the opening post) - that is particularly dangerous - as those that want rid of the BBC arent honest about why they want rid of the BBC and are lobbying on the basis of cost and perceived bias (Which even as this thread shows isn't necessarily true as they have been accused of being too lefty but with too many right wing presenters..)

So far what I have seen is people just complaining to complain. RTE is not everyone cup of tea. I am certainly no huge fan and I have Netflix etc which I watch the majority of my TV but I still watch some RTE shows etc. During the crisis it was a valuable resource and showed the need for a state broadcaster.

That said it has huge issues. 2FM was started for a reason but to be honest its a dead horse now a long time and should have been scrapped years ago. Keep the other 3.

RTE2 costs 25 million yet TG4 cost 8.12? TG4 in reality provides a better service to the Irisk speaking community so why does RTE2 cost so much? is the Pro14 games in the 8 mil? is so TG4 is value for money. RTE2 is not. A review of those figures need to be made to see what they make up.

Nearly 10 mil is spent on collecting the TV license.

People complained about foreign content which cost 26mil I think someone mentioned, yet 10 mil is spent on collecting the TV license? in this day and age wasting 10 million is a joke with online services etc.

That a starting point, then look at the wages. Yes the high earners are an issue as they are not value for money. But in reality is they are spending over 100 million on wages that would suggest the entire company is been paid too much. I do remember Jennifer Zamparelli going on all the time about "rivals" on other TV stations and saying about them been out in Ballymount etc. No wonder she is so big headed she is probably on double their wages.

From what I can see RTE is good and bad. The bad bit needs to be taken out but it wont happen tomorrow. Some quick wins are available. The government giving them any more tax money should be stopped NOW. Not another penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cyllyn28

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Many conservatives exist, they should be respected just as much as us lefties, if we truly believe in democracy that is, the process of money creation is extremely magical, it's everyone's yet no one's at the same time

It's soft touches like you, the conservative relies on to maintain their way of life....I was played for a long time by their kind...I know what they're like now...State sponsored "golf" trips to Thailand, for parish priests...

These people are far worse than you imagine....Why do we have so many homeless?....Most people think it's because we don't have the money to solve the problem....The truth is, the tens of millions, and billions over time, are directed to jobs and pension projects for dopey conservatives, who utterly despise the homeless and other "weirdos"....They see their job as taking the money and resources and destroying them, so nothing can change....And then get reward on earth with a pension, and in heaven by Jesus for doing their best to keep the world conservative.

Don't be a soft touch....the conservative only thinks you are a fool and a weirdo.....Their kind need a hard touch if we are to get our house in order...

No need for violence.....Simply Defund Conservatism...They'll get on the boat, head to Australia, and rip off old ladies for driveway tarmacking. Their kind will always be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Again. De Brun and Cahill are Conspiracy nutjobs. Why on earth would rte have them on.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Again. De Brun and Cahill are Conspiracy nutjobs. Why on earth would rte have them on.

Thats your opinion. Last time I checked we didn't live in China and were entitled to an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Plenty of people in their 70s are successfully watching content on Netflix, Sky, and other platforms.

Your image of poor auld Biddy who will be cut off from the world unless everyone in the country keeps handing RTE €160 a year doesn't wash. It's tugging at people's heartstrings in order to keep them forking over the cash, a strategy that RTE itself has perfected over the years.

Agreed. Going by the logic we should have to keep longwave, Aertel etc. As well as other defunct technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Scrap Winning Streak its a joke and its fixed.

Rumour has it that theres magnets behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

cyllyn28 wrote: »
    It's soft touches like you, the conservative relies on to maintain their way of life....I was played for a long time by their kind...I know what they're like now...State sponsored "golf" trips to Thailand, for parish priests...

These people are far worse than you imagine....Why do we have so many homeless?....Most people think it's because we don't have the money to solve the problem....The truth is, the tens of millions, and billions over time, are directed to jobs and pension projects for dopey conservatives, who utterly despise the homeless and other "weirdos"....They see their job as taking the money and resources and destroying them, so nothing can change....And then get reward on earth with a pension, and in heaven by Jesus for doing their best to keep the world conservative.

Don't be a soft touch....the conservative only thinks you are a fool and a weirdo.....Their kind need a hard touch if we are to get our house in order...

No need for violence.....Simply Defund Conservatism...They'll get on the boat, head to Australia, and rip off old ladies for driveway tarmacking. Their kind will always be fine...

What are you on about? This is an incoherent rant if ever I saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thats your opinion. Last time I checked we didn't live in China and were entitled to an opinion

Cahill has been absolutely thoroughly debunked for her drivel. De Brun is just gone conspiracy crank nutjob. Tgey can have opinions. Their opinions dont get covered because they are lunatic conspiracists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Cahill has been absolutely thoroughly debunked for her drivel. De Brun is just gone conspiracy crank nutjob. Tgey can have opinions. Their opinions dont get covered because they are lunatic conspiracists.

Well if shes talking nonsense she can be invited on to the tv for a debate and someone can prove her wrong wouldn't that prove your point even more. Show me evidence that De Brun is a "conspiracy crank nutjob".

• Advertisement

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Agreed. Going by the logic we should have to keep longwave, Aertel etc. As well as other defunct technologies.

It's already happening. Campaign groups have successfully pressured RTE to continue broadcasting Radio 1 on longwave, so as to facilitate elderly listeners in the UK.

https://www.theirishworld.com/reprieve-for-rte-longwave/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's already happening. Campaign groups have successfully pressured RTE to continue broadcasting Radio 1 on longwave, so as to facilitate elderly listeners in the UK.

https://www.theirishworld.com/reprieve-for-rte-longwave/

Many of those elderly Irish emigrants were failed by our state and left as economic migrants. With poor education and no chance of work here they had little option but to go to England.

They are now in their declining years stuck there on low pensions with no hope of returning to live here. The radio gives them a link with home and the news, sport and culture they came from.

We failed them in their youth and are about to fail them again in old age for a relatively miniscule saving in our national budget.

elperello wrote: »
    Many of those elderly Irish emigrants were failed by our state and left as economic migrants. With poor education and no chance of work here they had little option but to go to England.

They are now in their declining years stuck there on low pensions with no hope of returning to live here. The radio gives them a link with home and the news, sport and culture they came from.

We failed them in their youth and are about to fail them again in old age for a relatively miniscule saving in our national budget.

That particular longwave service costs €250,000 a year to maintain, whereas these people could listen to RTE on digital platforms at no extra cost to the Irish state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

That particular longwave service costs €250,000 a year to maintain, whereas these people could listen to RTE on digital platforms at no extra cost to the Irish state.

you could nearly afford a whole extra presenter for that money.

hots wrote: »
    you could nearly afford a whole extra presenter for that money.

You wouldn't get an RTE presenter out of bed for a mere €250,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

No need to rag on the Chinese because you disagree with a lads opinion, you should actually challenge it with logic and reason if you don't wanna be called a conspiracy nutbag as well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you consider the age profile and income level of this cohort of people digital is not a viable option without some assistance.

They saved our state multiples of that amount of money by leaving many years ago. Also emigrants remittances were a considerable source of income in the past.

In their old age the UK is picking up the tab for their care.

Are we really going to take away this precious link for the sake of a paltry saving?

Over 100 million in wages and people are complaining about 250k for a service that is still been used?

Bigger fish to fry in RTE.

The fact 2FM is costing millions and in reality is a service not really required by the population that would be of more benefit to close down. Before everyone goes off on one. What does 2FM provide that Today FM plus the thousands of local stations provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

Superfoods wrote: »
    Over 100 million in wages and people are complaining about 250k for a service that is still been used?

Bigger fish to fry in RTE.

The fact 2FM is costing millions and in reality is a service not really required by the population that would be of more benefit to close down. Before everyone goes off on one. What does 2FM provide that Today FM plus the thousands of local stations provide?

All just a distraction to make you not think about the absolute waste of money that is the RTE cronies.

Complain about the radio and make 250k look like the end of the world when it's not even a drop in the bucket of the money wasted by these absolute gorbs.

I'd wager tubridy sucks that much up his nose per annum.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Are we really going to take away this precious link for the sake of a paltry saving?

This so-called "precious link" isn't even available in the south of England due to interference from another LW station.

How do those people cope?

Advertisement