Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eric Clapton was a disappointment?

Comments

Clapton is wildly overrated, hasn't produced any fiery guitar solos since 1971 and Rory Gallagher was streets ahead of him in technique and feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I agree he lost sight of himself once he got success.But sure alot of artists do.But as an artist he was brilliant. As a person not so much.But he did mellow out to a point as he got older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

As already said Rory Gallagher and Taste even was far better than oul slow hands and hendrix but alas the Irish are cursed! But yeah Clapton hasnt done anything good since Cream.

Cream are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Clapton is very open about the fact that he was seriously alcoholic when he was young. I guess he was something of a jerk.

He's been sober for a long time and I think he's highly respected by people who know him and other musicians. He has a good marriage and 3 lovely daughters now in their teens. He's done a lot of good in the world.

He's a great guitar player. More than that he's been a mentor and made other people famous. Listen to his Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD's. Other players like B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Vince Gill, sing his praises.

His 2 most recent videos, the final Japan tour one, or the one with J.J. Cale before he died, I think that was San Diego or Phoenix, they're great entertainment.

I'm a big Clapton fan because he's a great player and his touring hands with awesome musicians like Billy Preston, Derek Trucks, Chris Stainton, Steve Gadd, Nathan East, Steve Jordan....bands don't get better than this.

Watch his recent videos, you'll have to love them m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

• Registered Users Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I love my music, and great guitarists in particular but Clapton despite being an extraordinarily proficient musician is somebody who I could never warm to as an artist or individual. My first purchase of his was some live album and while you could admire the artistry and ability of the guy he was never in my case capable of many WOW moments in his music... it was I guess, ‘nice’, that’s about it. On the other hand I could listen to somebody I guess of the same genre, era and probably fair to say abilities too ... like John Martyn and he’d have the hair standing up on my neck...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Eric Clapton was one of the main inspirations behind the huge Rock against Racism campaigns and gigs in the late 70s, and i dont mean in a good way. Hard to come back from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭con747

Eric Clapton was a disappointment? No.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why is this in After Hours? Cocaine? He learnt the guitar his own way? How about Lemmy and Sting? Rory could have played in either Dire Straits, Rolling Stones, Queen and dare I say Led Zeppelin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A rumor doing the rounds for decades is the Stones asked him to join before Mick Taylor joined. Rory that is.

Strumms wrote: »
    A rumor doing the rounds for decades is the Stones asked him to join before Mick Taylor joined. Rory that is.

Rory was a blues imposter. He could copy a decent sounding 12 bars, after that he was lost and didn't know what to do with it. He had great energy and If he had lived longer, who knows, but not in Clapton's league.

I'd much prefer Clapton to Gallagher Tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Clapton is wildly overrated, hasn't produced any fiery guitar solos since 1971 and Rory Gallagher was streets ahead of him in technique and feeling.
    If you judge every guitarist against Rory you won't have much music to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

beauf wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would rate someone on how many "fiery solo's" they play. Less is more and all that, and I say that hardrock/metal fan. Neither a Gallagher or a Clapton album has ever been on my frequent play list. I like some of their biggest hits and all that, but I always get tired of them quickly. Though I can appreciate their influence and all that. Rory didn't stray much from a very narrow genre.

But music is subjective. If you like it thats all that matters.

That is the one aspect of Gallagher I have a problem with in terms of trying to place him among the great guitar players. As he remained firmly rooted in blues and not much else, we didnt see him try to expand into more 'commercial' genres.
    As regards Clapton, he's well regarded by his peers throughout many genres. That's enough for me.
    Although, I can't not mention Joe Satriani in a thread about guitar greats so here goes....JOE SATRIANI FCUK YEAH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Clapton is very open about the fact that he was seriously alcoholic when he was young. I guess he was something of a jerk.

He's been sober for a long time and I think he's highly respected by people who know him and other musicians. He has a good marriage and 3 lovely daughters now in their teens. He's done a lot of good in the world.

He's a great guitar player. More than that he's been a mentor and made other people famous. Listen to his Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD's. Other players like B.B. King, Hubert Sumlin, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Vince Gill, sing his praises.

His 2 most recent videos, the final Japan tour one, or the one with J.J. Cale before he died, I think that was San Diego or Phoenix, they're great entertainment.

I'm a big Clapton fan because he's a great player and his touring hands with awesome musicians like Billy Preston, Derek Trucks, Chris Stainton, Steve Gadd, Nathan East, Steve Jordan....bands don't get better than this.

Watch his recent videos, you'll have to love them m

Yes, I agree as well. Sure, in the past he had some bad times but as time went on, he became better. He collaborated with so many talented musicians as well. He's very talented.

scilover wrote: »
    Yes, I agree as well. Sure, in the past he had some bad times but as time went on, he became better. He collaborated with so many talented musicians as well. He's very talented.

His discography is massive and over 55 years long. Some of what he did was more light-hearted or commercial entertainment. There's no doubt he's a seminal next generation interpreter of Blues in the Robert Johnson, B.B. King, Otis Rush, Freddie King, etc styles and took it to a higher level in the same vein, but his own style, without losing authenticity.

Even now at 70, with some deafness and neuropathy in his fingers, he's still capable of the most blazing solos. As a singer he has his own style and technique. He can be smooth as butter on love song ballads or growl with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I don't honestly care if he was the biggest A-hole in history... when you've produced quality like "wonderful tonight", "Layla", "Tears in Heaven", "Change the world" etc etc... you can pretty much hang up your guitar and go home after that... you've achieved musical immortality in my book!

Rory Gallagher - great guitarist, no question. But he hasn't produced anything in terms of hit songs, that can even get close to Clapton's contribution to music history! Obviously musical tastes can differ, but objectively speaking Clapton will go down in history as being on a completely different level to Gallagher!

River of Tears w/ Billie Preston and Steve Gadd. Clapton is also a truly great band leader. Billie Preston was a true icon, started in Ray Charles band. Gadd is almost symphonic, he revolutionized rock drumming.

https://youtu.be/pTVoM6x7tEg

Nightlife w/ Willie Nelson
    https://youtu.be/d_800CRTrjE

He shows himself againbto be a mature singer and a blistering guitar player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I read his autobiography once and found that he was a bit of a boring character. Generally a stay at home addict.
    He was a decent musician though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Eric Clapton was a disappointment!

When I saw this I thought he'd died ..
    Lots of 'was' in this thread

Quick Google, Clapton was is great :)

I was fortunate enough to witness Eric & George H playing the Albert hall 1990-ish, amazing gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Clapton? Claptout, more like!

(because he's clapped out)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Billie Preston was a true icon, started in Ray Charles band.
    He was even a Beatle for a time. :D As was Clapton. For a day anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Dissapoinment? To his parents? in bed? Or just in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

rapul wrote: »
    As already said Rory Gallagher and Taste even was far better than oul slow hands and hendrix but alas the Irish are cursed! But yeah Clapton hasnt done anything good since Cream.

Cream are very good.

His stuff with Derek and the Dominos far outshines anything he did with Cream. The Layla album is his “masterpiece” and he never got close to that again.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interviewer: "What does it feel like to be the worlds greatest guitarist?"

Hendrix: "Ask Rory Gallagher."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Clapton is the subject of one of my favourite showbiz stories. Davina McCall was his girlfriend at the time he wrote Tears in Heaven. He played the song to her before it was released. she was so overcome with emotion she gave him a blowjob. True story.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Clapton is your typical 1960s rock star. Did a huge amount of shagging/ drugs.
    Whined about his best mate's wife. Got patti and then continued shagging.
    Had serious problems with booze which to be fair to him he tackled.
    He has some strange politics bordering on fascist. Look at what he says about Enoch Powell.
    Music? I think he is probably over rated. He hugged the mainstream a bit too much . Not a rocker as such.
    Rory Gallagher deserved more credit but rory never wrote for the mainstream so what do you expect??!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Clapton is the subject of one of my favourite showbiz stories. Davina McCall was his girlfriend at the time he wrote Tears in Heaven. He played the song to her before it was released. she was so overcome with emotion she gave him a blowjob. True story.

Gee thanks for the image!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Gee thanks for the image!!

Its beautiful, isn't it?

Advertisement