Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eric Clapton was a disappointment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I remember Rorys brother Donal suggesting this could have worked, but i always had trouble imagining it. Rory was always a frontman, dictating his own path and career. Just cant see him as one guy among equals, however much truth was in those stories.

Did Rory do many collaborations with other artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

beauf wrote: »
    Did Rory do many collaborations with other artists.

Plenty, i'd say. There's a recent album of them on the market, lonnie donnegan, muddy waters, bb king etc. Recall him playing live with the Pistols once, of whom Rory was a fan - even wrote a song (Brute Force and Ignorance about them). Which i always found ironic because punk explosion wasnt really a great thing for Rory in terms of audience and popularity imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Amazing that these guys were friends even after EC stole GH's wife.

Love EC's music but, if you read his autobiography, he's not someone you warm easily to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ardent wrote: »
    Amazing that these guys were friends even after EC stole GH's wife

I guess they both ultimately thought more of the music then they did of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Interviewer: "What does it feel like to be the worlds greatest guitarist?"

Hendrix: "Ask Rory Gallagher."

I see this fiction is still doing the rounds.

Find it hard to to warm to much of Clapton's post Cream stuff, the odd track excepted.

Peter Green at his best always did a lot more for me.

• Advertisement

Plenty, i'd say. There's a recent album of them on the market, lonnie donnegan, muddy waters, bb king etc. Recall him playing live with the Pistols once, of whom Rory was a fan - even wrote a song (Brute Force and Ignorance about them). Which i always found ironic because punk explosion wasnt really a great thing for Rory in terms of audience and popularity imo.

I can find little. I thought he didn't travel which would make collaboration difficult.

Is the album you refer to this one...

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/rory-gallagher-blues-giving-ireland-s-greatest-blues-guitarist-his-due-1.3905727?mode=amp

I see this fiction is still doing the rounds.

Find it hard to to warm to much of Clapton's post Cream stuff, the odd track excepted.

Peter Green at his best always did a lot more for me.

How do you know it's fiction? There's no interview or proof to back it up either way, but plenty of people around that time have no problem believing it. Its no big deal anyway. Both were brilliant guitarists, maybe hendrix was better and if he said it, maybe it was tongue in cheek. Alice Cooper claimed hendrix had told him gallagher was his favourite guitar player so it's not an outlandish proposition.

If someone can write a classic riff or song in three chords "better" guitarist is subjective and relative term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ardent wrote: »
    Amazing that these guys were friends even after EC stole GH's wife.

George was a world class coke head and a womaniser. He had an affair with Ringos wife, kind of in plain sight.
    How do you know it's fiction?
    There's no interview or proof to back it up either way

Answered your own question there.

beauf wrote: »
    I can find little. I thought he didn't travel which would make collaboration difficult.

Is the album you refer to this one...

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/rory-gallagher-blues-giving-ireland-s-greatest-blues-guitarist-his-due-1.3905727?mode=amp

Yeah thats the latest one. A lot of the stuff would be session stuff that his brother curates so I'd say there's more there we havent heard. Wheels Within Wheels was an acoustic album they released that has a number of different musicians on it. He did travel plenty, though obviously less in later years. Living in Germany for a period, i was astonished how much he was loved there. He was a god for a lot of German guys i met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

How do you know it's fiction? There's no interview or proof to back it up either way, but plenty of people around that time have no problem believing it. Its no big deal anyway. Both were brilliant guitarists, maybe hendrix was better and if he said it, maybe it was tongue in cheek. Alice Cooper claimed hendrix had told him gallagher was his favourite guitar player so it's not an outlandish proposition.

It's an urban myth that has been applied to several different guitar players down the years from Phil Keaggy to Chet Akins and any other number of other peoples favourite guitar players including Rory.

Of course no footage, audio or interview has ever been unearthed to corroborate.

I love Rory, i'm listen to him all day and night before Clapton, but if you're going to make a claim the onus is on you to verify it not on someone else to prove it's false.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Terminator.

Did Clapton really rate Prince or was that just HS

Did Clapton really rate Prince or was that just HS

"I'm so sad about the death of Prince, he was a true genius, and a huge inspiration for me, in a very real way....
    In the the eighties, I was out on the road in a massive downward spiral with drink and drugs, I saw Purple Rain in a cinema in Canada, I had no idea who he was, it was like a bolt of lightning!...
    In the middle of my depression, and the dreadful state of the music culture at that time it gave me hope, he was like a light in the darkness...
    I went back to my hotel, and surrounded by empty beer cans, wrote Holy Mother....
    I can't believe he's gone...."

It's an urban myth that has been applied to several different guitar players down the years from Phil Keaggy to Chet Akins and any other number of other peoples favourite guitar players including Rory.

Of course no footage, audio or interview has ever been unearthed to corroborate.

I love Rory, i'm listen to him all day and night before Clapton, but if you're going to make a claim the onus is on you to verify it not on someone else to prove it's false.

Fair enough. I never heard that story said about any other guitarist only rory, maybe its said about all the greats. Of course i cant prove anything, thats true enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Strumms wrote: »
    A rumor doing the rounds for decades is the Stones asked him to join before Mick Taylor joined. Rory that is.

I can't remember where I read it, it could have been Riding Shotgun (Rory's bass player's book) or in a more generic music book but apparently he auditioned for the Stones, they didn't like him, they barely spoke to him. Never read that they asked him to join though. That would have been a very interesting group with Rory on board though.

Fair enough. I never heard that story said about any other guitarist only rory, maybe its said about all the greats. Of course i cant prove anything, thats true enough.

Theres a Clapton/Prince quote thats also fake that I've seen.

Interviewer "whats is like to be the best guitar player....

Clapton "Ask Prince"

The Nal wrote: »
    "I'm so sad about the death of Prince, he was a true genius, and a huge inspiration for me, in a very real way....
    In the the eighties, I was out on the road in a massive downward spiral with drink and drugs, I saw Purple Rain in a cinema in Canada, I had no idea who he was, it was like a bolt of lightning!...
    In the middle of my depression, and the dreadful state of the music culture at that time it gave me hope, he was like a light in the darkness...
    I went back to my hotel, and surrounded by empty beer cans, wrote Holy Mother....
    I can't believe he's gone...."

Looks like he did rate him

I was out in America in 1990 off the head and blown away by Sinead O'Connor and Goodfellas

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres a Clapton/Prince quote thats also fake that I've seen.

Interviewer "whats is like to be the best guitar player....

Clapton "Ask Prince"

Wasnt the biggest fan, but prince was an amazing multi instrumentalist. Saw a video of him playing bass once and it blew me away. Only realised that side of his talent quite late on.

Wasnt the biggest fan, but prince was an amazing multi instrumentalist. Saw a video of him playing bass once and it blew me away. Only realised that side of his talent quite late on.

Not hard to see that he was a genius

Addicted like a lot of musicians

Outside of the early 90s dirty funky stuff I don't really like any of his music.

This is great though. Lovely guitar player.

• Advertisement

I know it's an Eric Clapton thread

Can someone put up the prince while my guitar gently weeps vid

It's so worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Paul McCartney is a bona fide musical genius who can play bass, guitar, keyboards and drums. The likes of Clapton and Prince are minor talents in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,476 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

chicorytip wrote: »
    Paul McCartney is a bona fide musical genius who can play bass, guitar, keyboards and drums. The likes of Clapton and Prince are minor talents in comparison.

Prince played all 27 instruments on his debut album. your opinion of princes musical talent is not shared by many

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Strumms wrote: »
    A rumor doing the rounds for decades is the Stones asked him to join before Mick Taylor joined. Rory that is.

Rory's brother Donal Gallagher recently talked about this. It's about 7:45 in.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21787566

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Shred

“People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a ****in’ ledge and write a song about it?”

What a disgusting thing to say. I remember at the time it happened and I thought it was tragic. However, about 15 years ago I read a long piece about it and I think of it often since, it was absolutely horrific.

On topic, I always felt Clapton was appreciated by many of the guitarists I've played with over the years (many of them excellent players themselves). One of them used to have light hearted arguments with another mate regarding Rory vs Stevie Ray Vaughan and I've always found those kinds of conversations reductive tbh. For me, I can just appreciate each of their sublime talents and what they each brought to music...why can't we all just get along? Peace and love to all man :pac:

He was supposed to audition to replace Mick Taylor but would have had to drop some dates on his tour at the last minute to fly out to the audition and decided his fans got preference. He wouldn't have got the gig anyway, better guitarists than Ronnie Wood auditioned but they went with Wood as he was a better fit for them personally. He was already mates with Keith I think.

Ronnie Wood was sitting beside Mick Jagger when Mick Taylor announced he was leaving. Mick Taylor said he left to "escape Keiths orbit". haha. He has also started doing heroin so a wise choice.
    The Black and Blue album features a few of the guitarists they tried out. There's a song on it called Hand of Fate where the lead guitar work is done by Wayne Perkins and it's one of the best of any Stones song for me. You'd wonder what might have been if they'd went with him.

Yeah, the hyper creative period of the Stones ended the day Taylor quit. Ronnie just brought the party. Saw Mick Taylor play with the Stones in 2013 and as good as sober Ronnie is, its a different band with Taylor in it.

Clapton wouldn't have worked out in the Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mick Taylor made the Stones.

Certainly my favorite Stones era is when Mick was on board. ‘69-‘74

Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St, Goats Head Soup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Mediocre player, couple of memorable riffs. Heard better in my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

There is a very good documentary about Clapton that resurfaces from time to time on BBC 4.He definitely had serious issues with drink and drugs,lucky to be still alive considering the hammering his body must have taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

His unplugged album is excellent, he is easily one if my favorite acoustic players. I saw him in London a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the show

Advertisement