Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof ladder solution

Options
  • 22-07-2020 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I have a few jobs to do on the roof of a house and wonder if this would make sense as a a roof ladder:

1) A foldable, transformable ladder that can also be used to for all kinds of other jobs and that does not take too much space in storage: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FXC0XI8

2) A roof ladder add-on hook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HR30FNE

Makes sense?

Already have a ladder to get me to the gutter. Renting one is difficult for me as I won't really get it on/into my car and those places charge you half a ladder for a day or two of use.

Thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Itl work as long as the ladder is long enough to go over the ridge tiles and hook to other side? I know with my roof it'd be about 8 foot shy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ampleforth wrote: »
    I have a few jobs to do on the roof of a house and wonder if this would make sense as a a roof ladder:

1) A foldable, transformable ladder that can also be used to for all kinds of other jobs and that does not take too much space in storage: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FXC0XI8

2) A roof ladder add-on hook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HR30FNE

Makes sense?

Already have a ladder to get me to the gutter. Renting one is difficult for me as I won't really get it on/into my car and those places charge you half a ladder for a day or two of use.

Thoughts?

Your going to need to buy a ladder for option 2 and option 1 isn't going to be secure on a roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Del2005 wrote: »
    option 1 isn't going to be secure on a roof.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A proper roof ladder has supports to take the weight and spread it across the tiles/slates.

Roofs are pretty dangerous places to be working, accessing a roof ladder from an ordinary ladder is a dangerous activity in itself.

The increased stress leaded to accelerated operative fatigue.

I am a big DIY fan but a man has got to know his limitations: in this context, it's about risk management.

Think long and hard about this: can you not get a roofer to come?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ampleforth wrote: »
    Why?

because it is NOT a roof ladder.

Those big hinges will crack the tiles

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

A proper roof ladder has supports to take the weight and spread it across the tiles/slates.

Roofs are pretty dangerous places to be working, accessing a roof ladder from an ordinary ladder is a dangerous activity in itself.

The increased stress leaded to accelerated operative fatigue.

I am a big DIY fan but a man has got to know his limitations: in this context, it's about risk management.

Think long and hard about this: can you not get a roofer to come?

This! Big Diyer myself but there are 2 things i dont mess with - Roof and plumbing. Get a roofer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

having accessed many roofs in my day I wouldn't use either option.

Saving a few bob V falling off is a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Thanks for all the good advice. After considering the tips here, I actually realise that a specific-purpose roof ladder would cost me as much as the job --- me falling off the roof would then be 'for free' ;)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buy a bungalow much handier to get up on the roof. Was only up there yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

listermint wrote: »
    Buy a bungalow much handier to get up on the roof. Was only up there yesterday :)

Getting up is the easy bit it's the falling that's dangerous, you might not die falling from a bungalow but you can be seriously injured. That's why working at heights regulations don't have a minimum height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    Getting up is the easy bit it's the falling that's dangerous, you might not die falling from a bungalow but you can be seriously injured. That's why working at heights regulations don't have a minimum height.

True. I could also be seriously injured in my shower. Walking around the rear of my parked car. Eating unchewed dinner. Etc etc.

Mitigation is key and personal safety at home is on the owner.

Advertisement