Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes near Cobh

Options
  • 22-07-2020 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am spending a week in Cobh and planning to bring my road bike. Has anyone any route recommendations in that area for approx 70km? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Yermander

NiamhG. wrote: »
    I am spending a week in Cobh and planning to bring my road bike. Has anyone any route recommendations in that area for approx 70km? Thank you

I would recommend heading east toward Midleton and down to Roche’s Point or Ballycotton and Garryvoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NiamhG.

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

A lap of the island is a nice short option, or possibly a way to start / end a spin. 22km with 285m of climbing if sticking to the outermost path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'd be getting the ferry over to Monkstown and hitting that side of the harbour.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33474786 or Kinsale is about 30k each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

NiamhG. wrote: »

There are only two ways* off Great Island, Belvelly bridge or the ferry, which will leave you on a least a few km each way of sh1tty enough road to ride.

If you do head east via Ballintubber is probably best option which will bring you to Midelton. North of Midelton has some lovely cycling all the way across to Knockraha, Leamlara country. Lumpy though.

East Cork proper is lovely, although the Whitegate road(main road) is pretty hateful to cycle.

I used to live in the area @Plastik mapped and it is a lovely area to cycle. To get the best out of it you need to be prepared to ride very lumpy sections with iffy surfaces though.

If you can navigate, can handle poor surfaces and like to suffer I'll put up a loop or two later

*bar you can get some kind boat owner from the Marlogue Inn marina to drop you to East Ferry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 NiamhG.

Thanks very much, that's very helpful. I'd rather avoid iffy surfaces if I can, don't want to be bothered with punctures and not a huge fan of suffering. So no need to dig out the routes but thanks all the same for the offer. I think I have enough to go on now to map something myself. I'll have a yoke with me to handle the navigation. Thanks again!

Advertisement