Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council's planning powers

Options
  • 22-07-2020 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

DCC and their planning department are single handedly destroying Dublin.

They've just rejected an 11 storey block on Townsend Street in favour of the usual 7 storey stump - the developers proposed 7 office floors and 4 resi on top...DCC have cut the resi out!! Why? God knows.

Spencer Place - once again they've put in an objection to ABP for a few extra floors on the residential blocks....reducing the housing units by around 150...Again, to be clear, DCC are blocking accommodation being built.

Is it just incompetence or is there malice involved? My own sneaky suspicion is we are witnessing class warfare in action...with the semi-literates voted in by "locals" on DCC deliberately blocking any accommodation in the city centre which would be targeted at the middle class or professionals...after all why allow people to move into an area who won't vote for you?

This suggests the abolition or removal of planning powers from DCC will the be the only way Dublin ever moves forward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

DCC and their planning department are single handedly destroying Dublin.

They've just rejected an 11 storey block on Townsend Street in favour of the usual 7 storey stump - the developers proposed 7 office floors and 4 resi on top...DCC have cut the resi out!! Why? God knows.

Spencer Place - once again they've put in an objection to ABP for a few extra floors on the residential blocks....reducing the housing units by around 150...Again, to be clear, DCC are blocking accommodation being built.

Is it just incompetence or is there malice involved? My own sneaky suspicion is we are witnessing class warfare in action...with the semi-literates voted in by "locals" on DCC deliberately blocking any accommodation in the city centre which would be targeted at the middle class or professionals...after all why allow people to move into an area who won't vote for you?

This suggests the abolition or removal of planning powers from DCC will the be the only way Dublin ever moves forward.

Absolutely spot on poster.

"The usual seven story stunp" sums it up so well...our city is full of these ugly stumps.

Unfortunately the damage these pricks do to the city will take years to redress if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Absolutely spot on poster.

"The usual seven story stunp" sums it up so well...our city is full of these ugly stumps.

Unfortunately the damage these pricks do to the city will take years to redress if ever.

A few well designed high rises buildings with mixed commercial and residential use would be great for Dublin.... in the right places of course. I really can’t get my head around their problem with going higher. Students and young professionals will happily rent in city centre as they like to be close to everything. And immigrants seem to be happier to live in apartments then Irish people because many of them come from places where it is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is a pity that DCC seems to be the most reactive and conservative council in the country when it comes to actually trying to solve the housing crisis. Too many of them think they live in a living museum. But why would they care when they already have their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Appeal it to abp.... the city council is beyond words! Scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

the problem with DCC and DLRCC is the planners, architects, civil servants etc are in the majority not from dublin, they have no real attachment or gra for the city.

The planners especially regularly rotate around councils, very few of them are from Dublin.

Really need more dubs to get these jobs but i guess that would be discrimination

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title amended to reflect the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

mohawk wrote: »
    A few well designed high rises buildings with mixed commercial and residential use would be great for Dublin.... in the right places of course. I really can’t get my head around their problem with going higher. Students and young professionals will happily rent in city centre as they like to be close to everything. And immigrants seem to be happier to live in apartments then Irish people because many of them come from places where it is normal.

Ah, ha ha ha ha ha ha! On what planet would students and young professionals be able to afford the rents that would be asked without promising the soul of their first born to the dark lord! More likely you would have rich I have an apartment in the city for when I work late fcukers and government ministers claiming the rent on expenses or as a second home, bring on the Heally Raes!

Advertisement