Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Tests conducted last 24 hours: 4076
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 51149
    Positive Tests last 24 hours: 11
    Positivity Rate last 7 days: 0.2%

The positivity rate has dropped back down to 0.2% after two weeks at 0.3%

Superb numbers again. Expecting mid teen new cases at most later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Onesea wrote: »
    Don't be taking any personal. The numbers show an illness circulating that is manageable. Have you not noticed the government and the media have peddled fear at any chance.
    People get sick and it's easy for the media to hop on an individual story and magnify it.
    Your hospitals are empty.
    Your economy is imploding,the rest of the world Wil manage clusters, however with your attitude it seems like many have given up Ireland. Or it could be people who sit on boards all day aren't exactly the outgoing type.

I haven't taken anything personal. Our currently low numbers are a tribute to the actions we have taken at large as a society and not because of some elabourate scheme by the Irish government to incite fear despite that this is something to be feared, make no mistake.

Your idea is to let people with the virus go back to work, that is demented and shows a serious lack of critical thinking. You posted yesterday saying "the inventor of PCR says the test is not capable of diagnosing COVID19" (or something to that effect) - a person who died before the virus was even known about? Your posts have zero substance and zero credibility and despite this being highlighted you keep the same rhetoric. Spend less time reading facebook for "news" if you're going to try to engage in discussion on a topic, make a morsel of effort to try educate your self on topic of which you are hellbent on discussing.

The global economy is imploding. There's a pandemic, incase you've missed the memo. Everyone is trying to get back operational, this takes times. There will be a fallout for that and it is unavoidable.

It was 29017 yesterday, it is now 29028. +11
    I then note today's positive figure and compare tomorrow.

Really appreciate that. I always check in for your update. It's a great service for us boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

This may be a simplistic way of looking at it, but shouldn't we expect the numbers of flu cases in the winter to be lower than previous years because we now have masks, social distancing, working from home, etc.. which we didn't have during previous winters?

I believe it's already happened in Australia, they should be ramping up now but very little flu around.

There's another theory that a mild flu season last year in lots of countries has left more susceptible people (i.e. Italy) whereas apparently Japan had a 'normal' flu season in terms of expected deaths, and have not seen a large surge in COVID deaths. Not sure how solid the research is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Of course daily tests are relevant in Ireland. You are comparing Ireland to the USA based on testing.

I am saying you can't use that measure for comparison. If you want to make an argument that we are worse than the USA I am saying you will need a different comparitor. That is all.

I didn't say we are worse than US FFS.
    Carry on misrepresenting.
    What I did say is that the daily 7 day average number of cases in the US only surpassed our peak 9 days ago. That's a fact.

Both sets of numbers have had their issues. Continue to pour scorn while praising our fantastic numbers though.

• Advertisement

I didn't say we are worse than US FFS.
    Carry on misrepresenting.
    What I did say is that the daily 7 day average number of cases in the US only surpassed our peak 9 days ago. That's a fact.

Both sets of numbers have had their issues. Continue to pour scorn while praising our fantastic numbers though.

Implication we are doing worse than US. Which we are not as the data you use is not comparable.

And yes I am praising our great numbers because we have all sacrificed so much to get here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The viral load topic has been brought up many times In recent months. It's all guess work

Do you have evidence viral load is all guess work?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

It was 29017 yesterday, it is now 29028. +11
    I then note today's positive figure and compare tomorrow.

Now i see how you work it out.Thought for a while you got a daily phone call straight from the department of health.

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Now i see how you work it out.Thought for a while you got a daily phone call straight from the department of health.

ACE tells the DOH the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

owlbethere wrote: »

Of course he doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Miike wrote: »
    I haven't taken anything personal. Our currently low numbers are a tribute to the actions we have taken at large as a society and not because of some elabourate scheme by the Irish government to incite fear despite that this is something to be feared, make no mistake.

Your idea is to let people with the virus go back to work, that is demented and shows a serious lack of critical thinking. You posted yesterday saying "the inventor of PCR says the test is not capable of diagnosing COVID19" (or something to that effect) - a person who died before the virus was even known about? Your posts have zero substance and zero credibility and despite this being highlighted you keep the same rhetoric. Spend less time reading facebook for "news" if you're going to try to engage in discussion on a topic, make a morsel of effort to try educate your self on topic of which you are hellbent on discussing.

The global economy is imploding. There's a pandemic, incase you've missed the memo. Everyone is trying to get back operational, this takes times. There will be a fallout for that and it is unavoidable.

You seem unable to take in the fact that c19 isn't dangerous to the vast majority. Your own government admitted to inflating the numbers your media didn't follow that story too well.

C19 has killed how many people in Ireland in 5 months?
    90% of those who die are over 84 and already nearly dead, it's a corona virus just like the cold or flu.
    395k known cases in sa, under 6k dead. A pandemic based on the presence of a virus rather than that of a mounting death toll tells a tale. That and the fact you and so many really believe your lockdown influenced this one little bit.

Heres another nugget, every death in Belgium over a two month period was marked as a covid death.

.. But then again there is somthing nice knowing your government has your best wishes at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You seem unable to take in the fact that c19 isn't dangerous to the vast majority. Your own government admitted to inflating the numbers your media didn't follow that story too well.

90% of those who die are over 84 and already nearly dead, it's a corona virus just like the cold or flu.
    395k known cases in sa, under 6k dead. A pandemic based on the presence of a virus rather than that of a mounting death toll tells a tale. That and the fact you and so many really believe your lockdown influenced this one little bit.

Heres another nugget, every death in Belgium over a two month period was marked as a covid death.

.. But then again there is somthing nice knowing your government has your best wishes at heart.

Wtf? So if I was hit by a bus while crossing the road, the coroner would put it down as Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Your own government admitted to inflating the numbers your media didn't follow that story too well... But then again there is somthing nice knowing your government has your best wishes at heart.
    Which government is that now? Why have you appeared on Boards in the past few months to spin us a yarn about how Covid only affects older people (as if they are worthless).

What are you doing here?

owlbethere wrote: »

No evidence what so ever. I'm just looking at the revolving narrative that keep changing ever few days. Was only a few weeks back the who stated its not nearly as transmissable as first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I....

I'd rather headbutt a nail in the wall than read another post of your drivel. Welcome to the ignore list.

hmmm wrote: »
    Which government is that now? Why have you appeared on Boards in the past few months to spin us a yarn about how Covid only affects older people (as if they are worthless).

What are you doing here?

Ah trying to guilt me. And what if I think they are worthless? It means nothing to anyone anyway.
    Stick to the facts, the state has been shut down needlessly

Wtf? So if I was hit by a bus while crossing the road, the coroner would put it down as Covid-19?

Literally yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

This may be a simplistic way of looking at it, but shouldn't we expect the numbers of flu cases in the winter to be lower than previous years because we now have masks, social distancing, working from home, etc.. which we didn't have during previous winters?

Australia had a huge reduction in flu cases

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242113-australia-sees-huge-decrease-in-flu-cases-due-to-coronavirus-measures/

Literally yes.

Would you have a link for that?

Would you have a link for that?

Google it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ah trying to guilt me. And what if I think they are worthless? It means nothing to anyone anyway.
    Stick to the facts, the state has been shut down needlessly
    Oh I know it's a waste of time debating anything with you.

I have some respect for people who have died of Covid and I don't think they deserved to die alone, I can also read statistics and see that this is a disease that can affect anyone and mortality skews sharply higher at 50, and I also have the cop on to know that when dealing with a new disease where we don't know much about current or future effects for all age groups that it is right to be extremely cautious in how we allow it to spread.

Google it

No. I'll assume you're wrong until you provide evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's time to stop this drivel .

If the Mods won't put a stop to this nonsense then the Ignore option is the only option.

Catch yourself on. Nothing but twaddle for months about only old people being killed by this, figures being fraudulently manipulated, the whole thing is a sham...

Bigger fools us for even reading such rubbish, let alone giving it any credence.

#IGNORE.

Makey uppy numbers again - 50% are over 84. Belgium has over 110,000 deaths per year. Less than 10,000 have died from covid. So all deaths in a two month period were not attributed to covid. Hers a chart for you to peruse:

https://epistat.wiv-isp.be/momo/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

The lockdown and subsequent excellent behaviour from the vast majority of Irish people have gotten our hospitals down from hundreds and hundreds of patients to 14, as well as stifling the spread and growth of the virus. This was a key target from the start.

Deaths have slowed as the virus has moved away from the elderly and into younger age brackets, yes, but issues still remain around people's health in both the short and potentially long term and some people are still dying. But a pandemic or epidemic is not all about the deaths, it's about protecting a very fragile health service which had the potential to become completely overrun, at which point we could have seen even higher mortality and more heartache, more trauma for those healthcare workers and family members all over the country. It was also about protecting as many of the population as possible from a new disease where we still have a limited understanding.

My grandmother, by the way, wasn't nearly dead. She was old, yes, and lived in a home since last Autumn but was still physically active and mentally solid. She often had colds and flus like everyone else, and they were never a bother to her. But she got Covid19, and she's gone now.

With apologies if this is against Boards terms or whatever or if it invalidates my previous points to you or anyone else in this line of discourse, but you can really honestly get f*cked with your reasoning and rhetoric, you insensitive, unempathetic c*nt.

hmmm wrote: »
    Oh I know it's a waste of time debating anything with you.

I have some respect for people who have died of Covid and I don't think they deserved to die alone, I can also read statistics and see that this is a disease that can affect anyone and mortality skews sharply higher at 50, and I also have the cop on to know that when dealing with a new disease where we don't know much about current or future effects for all age groups that it is right to be extremely cautious in how we allow it to spread.

You high up on your moral high ground.
    In a pandemic the last thing people should be worried about is a holiday or a pub opening. The attitude of many must annoy you.
    Anyway, that second wave is nearly here so batton down the hatches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Found Niall Boylan's boards account.

Lyle wrote: »
    The lockdown and subsequent excellent behaviour from the vast majority of Irish people have gotten our hospitals down from hundreds and hundreds of patients to 14, as well as stifling the spread and growth of the virus. This was a key target from the start.

Deaths have slowed as the virus has moved away from the elderly and into younger age brackets, yes, but issues still remain around people's health in both the short and potentially long term and some people are still dying. But a pandemic or epidemic is not all about the deaths, it's about protecting a very fragile health service which had the potential to become completely overrun, at which point we could have seen even higher mortality and more heartache, more trauma for those healthcare workers and family members all over the country. It was also about protecting as many of the population as possible from a new disease where we still have a limited understanding.

My grandmother, by the way, wasn't nearly dead. She was old, yes, and lived in a home since last Autumn but was still physically active and mentally solid. She often had colds and flus like everyone else, and they were never a bother to her. But she got Covid19, and she's gone now.

With apologies if this is against Boards terms or whatever or if it invalidates my previous points to you or anyone else in this line of discourse, but you can really honestly get f*cked with your reasoning and rhetoric, you insensitive, unempathetic c*nt.

How old was your grand mother?

I reported your post btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Google it

Ok I googled it. The only articles I can find talking about high numbers in Belgium are from early May so this could be out of date:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/why-belgium-has-the-worlds-highest-covid-death-rate-39176693.html

And this seems to boil down to the following:

“But Belgium's high numbers have less to do with the spread of the disease and more to do with the way it counts fatalities. Its figures include all the deaths in the country's more than 1,500 nursing homes, even those untested for the virus. These numbers add up to more than half of the overall figure.“

Is this what you mean when you say you could be killed by a bus and have it be flagged as a Covid death? Or are there more recent studies you can point us to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lads ye should stop replying to him/her tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement