Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Hrududu wrote: »
    Ok I googled it. The only articles I can find talking about high numbers in Belgium are from early May so this could be out of date:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/why-belgium-has-the-worlds-highest-covid-death-rate-39176693.html

And this seems to boil down to the following:

“But Belgium's high numbers have less to do with the spread of the disease and more to do with the way it counts fatalities. Its figures include all the deaths in the country's more than 1,500 nursing homes, even those untested for the virus. These numbers add up to more than half of the overall figure.“

Is this what you mean when you say you could be killed by a bus and have it be flagged as a Covid death? Or are there more recent studies you can point us to?

I take that back so, thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's time to stop this drivel .

If the Mods won't put a stop to this nonsense then the Ignore option is the only option.

Catch yourself on. Nothing but twaddle for months about only old people being killed by this, figures being fraudulently being manipulated, the whole thing is a sham...

Bigger fools us for even reading such rubbish, let alone giving it any credence.

#IGNORE.

If you become infected with SARS-2, your chance of dying from it if you are younger than 65 is astonishingly low. It's not quite zero , but it's damn close.

If you are 39 or younger your chance of dying is 0.2%
    40-49 and it's 0.4%

If you are 80 or over, you chance of dying is 7400% higher than if you are under 40. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

So yes, this really is a disease that mostly affects old and already ill people.

He's exaggerating but the general cohort on this thread is engaged in hugely overstating the risk and severity of outcomes and is engaged in exaggeration in the other direction. It's a thread full of panic merchants and hypochondriacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you become infected with SARS-2, your chance of dying from it if you are younger than 65 is astonishingly low. It's not quite zero , but it's damn close.

40-49 and it's 0.4%

If you are 80 or over, you chance of dying is 7400% higher than if you are under 40. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

So yes, this really is a disease that mostly affects old and already ill people.

He's exaggerating but the general cohort on this thread is engaged in hugely overstating the risk and severity of outcomes and is engaged in exaggeration in the other direction. It's a thread full of panic merchants and hypochondriacs.

A friend of mine caught it in Italy and had to get his leg amputated as a result... He was only 24 and played lacrosse so was fit as a fiddle.

This virus no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Tests conducted last 24 hours: 4076
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 51149
    Positive Tests last 24 hours: 11
    Positivity Rate last 7 days: 0.2%

The positivity rate has dropped back down to 0.2% after two weeks at 0.3%

I'm away at the moment but have kept an eye on the daily numbers, just not posting here as much sure I'm on my staycation.

Anyway, numbers continue to be good, would be intersting to see what they're modeling the 7 day R at. Yes theres been the Dublin building site cluster which will throw it off slightly but there hasn't been exponential growth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

40-49 and it's 0.4%
    I haven't checked your stats, and I think the 39 or younger figure is actually less that that, but that's still higher than the flu. Also every year we don't see huge numbers infected with the flu, whereas with Covid there is little existing immunity. Plus as well as that, we know that where hospital systems become overloaded, the death rate spike sharply upwards - and Covid puts lots of people into hospitals. Even more than that, we have no figures yet on the post-viral effects of Covid, and whether some people now have chronic illness to deal with.

We've been over this repeatedly, and you know the facts. Claiming that this is a disease which only the very elderly need to be concerned about is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Median turnaround time over the last 7 days is 28 hours for tests from the community, 13 hours in hospital.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-21-july-2020.pdf

Hmmm we are past that median by 22 hours now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

hmmm wrote: »
    We've been over this repeatedly, and you know the facts. Claiming that this is a disease which only the very elderly need to be concerned about is wrong.

I don't think some realise that elderly don't respond to treatment as well as younger people. It's not as simple as old=severe, young=mild. I can't find the source as it was a few months back, but at one point there were 300 people under 39 in ICU, and 1800+ in hospital, in Lombardy. The vast majority, if not all, likely survived, but a stint in ICU is no walk in the park and will have a long recovery for most.

So while the median age of deaths is greater than the avg life expectancy in most western countries, letting it rip through the population while shielding the vulnerable is by no means a clear cut answer, as even if every single person over 65 for example was successfully shielded, the health service would still be at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Which government is that now? Why have you appeared on Boards in the past few months to spin us a yarn about how Covid only affects older people (as if they are worthless).

What are you doing here?

There's a cohort of posters who all registered at roughly the same time, all share exactly the same viewpoint - "open it up! Nothing but flu! You curtain twitching Doom mongers!" - have the same approach to critical analysis (None is ever applied to anything that supports their argument, no matter how dubiously sourced or misleading it may be) and enjoy whataboutery and evasiveness instead of actually discussing issues. Most of them are safely contained in the other thread, thankfully, but there is a bit of overspill from time to time.

All very suspicious how they just found their way to boards magically at the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Onesea wrote: »
    Literally yes.

Errr no - especially since the poster doesn't even have Covid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Arghus wrote: »
    There's a cohort of posters who all registered at roughly the same time, all share exactly the same viewpoint - "open it up! Nothing but flu! You curtain twitching Doom mongers!" - have the same approach to critical analysis (None is ever applied to anything that supports their argument, no matter how dubiously sourced or misleading it may be) and enjoy whataboutery and evasiveness instead of actually discussing issues. Most of them are safely contained in the other thread, thankfully, but there is a bit of overspill from time to time.

All very suspicious how they just found their way to boards magically at the same time...

There was a brief outbreak of sanity on the other thread, but it's descended into outright madness today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Seamai wrote: »
    I was in Mahon Point S.C in Cork this morning and I'd say between 90 and 95% were wearing masks which I was glad to see.
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    The two extremes here. Was in Dunnes Stores and 100% wearing masks.

The petrol station/Spar shop has eight customers and none, bar myself, wore masks.

Probably none of these situations will have any dramatic impact on covid cases, in the same way as none of them had much impact on covid cases for the first 4 months though. Not particularly confined areas for periods of time. Nipping in to the Spar to pay for petrol is not high up on the list of risky situations imo.

There was a brief outbreak of sanity on the other thread, but it's descended into outright madness today.

For that thread that is outright normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

SteHam wrote: »
    A friend of mine caught it in Italy and had to get his leg amputated as a result... He was only 24 and played lacrosse so was fit as a fiddle.

This virus no joke.

My other half had it in March, she couldn't move for 4 days, sickest she has ever been. Nobody else in the family caught it from her...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

40-49 and it's 0.4%

And 13% of those who've tasted positive aged 65-74 in Ireland have died.
    They're pretty crap odds for a cohort of people with lots of living still to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The R-rate has fallen to between 1 and 1.4

https://twitter.com/Orlaodo/status/1286335719636635648?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Weird because the Dame Lane gatherings should have shut the country down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hmmm sounds familiar.....
    The 'Stay and Spend' incentive to encourage vacation expenditure will allow people to spend up to €625 in hotels between October and April of next year.

The tax credit will be worth a maximum of €125 per person, and eligible facilities must be registered with Fáilte Ireland.

The incentive will not cover alcohol.

The estimated cost of the incentive is €250m over this period.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0723/1155162-live-july-stimulus-economy-politics-coronavirus/

Oh yeah...

520902.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I haven't checked your stats, and I think the 39 or younger figure is actually less that that, but that's still higher than the flu. Also every year we don't see huge numbers infected with the flu, whereas with Covid there is little existing immunity. Plus as well as that, we know that where hospital systems become overloaded, the death rate spike sharply upwards - and Covid puts lots of people into hospitals. Even more than that, we have no figures yet on the post-viral effects of Covid, and whether some people now have chronic illness to deal with.

But is it a case that when the virus runs amok among the elderly/vulnerable that the death rate spikes and it just so happens that many of them are brought to hospital? Since we got a handle on the virus in nursing/care homes the hospital numbers have steadily dropped as have the death rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just for safetys sake id like to see that below 1 and not stabilising at between 1 and 1.4

Hopefully be back under that soon

Shin

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

Bedwetters is the insult of choice today I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wouldn't be anything to do with the clusters working their way through the 14 days, nope nothing at all.

As was explained here the last 2 weeks, fully expected it to drop

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's so disappointing! Seriously though, it's happened elsewhere without any of the "worry".

shinzon wrote: »
    Just for safetys sake id like to see that below 1 and not stabilising at between 1 and 1.4

Hopefully be back under that soon

Shin

Stabilising around 1 is grand

Wouldn't be anything to do with the clusters working their way through the 14 days, nope nothing at all.

As was explained here the last 2 weeks, fully expected it to drop

There will be more cluster, so some weeks it will be spike a little again. All to be expected though

As we predicted, clusters skewing the r-number...

Bedwetters is the insult of choice today I believe

If only they put as much thought into, well, thinking, as they do into insults...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

9 Deaths (!), 7 Cases

nice.
    What does his understanding have to do with Dr. Phillip Nolan and his team's estimate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement