Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Estimate is 1.1 for the r-number down from 1.3/1.4 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seems like a big jump in close contact cases in the last week, testing and tracing is detecting cases

The app helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems like a big jump in close contact cases in the last week, testing and tracing is detecting cases

that's a positive though isn't it ? Tracing is doing what it was set up to do.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The app helpful?
    I reckon it is tbh there was a big jump in the close contact detection on the chart there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It’s not his job to understand how it is calculated. It’s his job to have people advising him who do. He is qualified in Mechanical Engineering so I am sure he could get his head around the calculations if needed. But his time is best spent utilising his masters qualification, public administration, and leaving the r number to those suitably qualified

Sorry I was only messing. It’s not real. I edited to include that fact.

Simon’s covid 19 is the 19th corona virus is still the best quote.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    that's a positive though isn't it ? Trading is doing what it was set up to do.
    it is indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Shane Beatty needs to be muted! Painful to listen to

"We are absolutely on track for children to go back to school"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

it is indeed

Even better when you consider the clusters in Dublin are in this estimate as well

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We are on track for schools to open! All we need is a plan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Nolan showed a chart of deaths by date of death. Too hard to see on the stream, but he usually tweets them later.

Everyone’s phone goes off with various news orgs showing 9 additional deaths and 7 new cases. That’s all people see.

It’s irresponsible and confusing reporting and it does nothing for morale. Sensationalist.

Uncertain and optimistic!

Everyone’s phone goes off with various news orgs showing 9 additional deaths and 7 new cases. That’s all people see.

It’s irresponsible and confusing reporting and it does nothing for morale. Sensationalist.

I agree there'll be no context given for that number of 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sorry I was only messing. It’s not real. I edited to include that fact.

Simon’s covid 19 is the 19th corona virus is still the best quote.

Sorry, confused. Are you saying that entire tweet is a gag?

I agree there'll be no context given for that number of 9.
    He actually clarified their status when he announced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Or at least be clear why is behind the number because as sure as night follows days people will see 9 death think were in trouble.

Yes exactly.

Particularly the elderly who are worried enough as it is.

is_that_so wrote: »
    People on Facebook are already freaking out, most don't actually watch the press conferences

I'm not talking about the CMO I'm talking about the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Why? I would say the number of people who have posted in these thread who understand the r number is between 0 and < 5. I believe I understand what it tells us, and some of hows it’s calculated, and may even give a go at estimating it but that’s about it. If anyone is willing to fund me fir a master I might actually get around to understanding it.

It's the reproductive rate of the virus. I don't think there's a whole lot more to understand about it in order to understand what it "is". We don't exactly know what the number is in reality, because that's impossible, but we understand in essence what it is.

Donnelly's quote seems to suggest that he doesn't even fully understand that! It might have been a slip of the tongue, but, if it wasn't, surely the minister for health should be a bit more up to speed than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

"Last week uncertain and worried. Week before uncertain and pessimistic. This week uncertain and optimistic"

Also, whether the day of the week has a pattern or not, 7 cases is the lowest Thursday figure ever, only matched on Thu March 5th as cases were ramping up, and we're clearly doing far more testing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

People on Facebook are already freaking out, most don't actually watch the press conferences

People on facebook freaking out? That's all people ever do on facebook!!!!

I'm not talking about the CMO I'm talking about the media.
    I don't think they will. From RTE
    Eight of the nine deaths are late notifications that took place in April, May and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The media have something against the pubs!

Most pubs are open anyway so it is really a nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

20 travel cases last week up to Sunday

What does that mean though? Is it 20 separate people arriving to Ireland or 1 person infecting 19 here ?did they say what countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Arghus wrote: »
    It's the reproductive rate of the virus. I don't think there's a whole lot more to understand about it in order to understand what it "is". We don't exactly know what the number is in reality, because that's impossible, but we understand in essence what it is.

Donnelly's quote seems to suggest that he doesn't even fully understand that! It might have been a slip of the tongue, but, if it wasn't, surely the minister for health should be a bit more up to speed than that!

It was a joke tweet apparently .

Shame on the Joker as it was unfair and misleading.

I don't think they will. From RTE

Well I'd expect the national broadcaster to be responsible.

The second construction site is a person who is linked to the first site.
    First site has between 25-30 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nice. This was a joke. I.e Fake tweet.

is this real?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Sorry, confused. Are you saying that entire tweet is a gag?

Yep - another pointless post from him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Covid payment extended to next April.
    Again we see the theatrics of the gov/media with their methods of reporting deaths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement