Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Everyone’s phone goes off with various news orgs showing 9 additional deaths and 7 new cases. That’s all people see.

It’s irresponsible and confusing reporting and it does nothing for morale. Sensationalist.

Completely agree - it should have been reported as "7 cases, 1 death, and 8 late-notified deaths"

I just want to see the chart myself tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The media have something against the pubs!

Most pubs are open anyway so it is really a nothing.

There's an awful lot of shouting and moaning from the Vintners about the delayed reopening if most pubs are open anyway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Completely agree - it should have been reported as "7 cases, 1 death, and 8 late-notified deaths"

I just want to see the chart myself tbh
    It has been almost 4 months of press conferences and RTE has still not learned how to show the content on the TV screens in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

The media have something against the pubs!

Most pubs are open anyway so it is really a nothing.

It’s chronic and that muppet Shane Beatty from Newstalk kept harping on about. First question from irish times then straight after him is about the pubs!!

is this real?

Read what he edited above the 'tweet'.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yep - another pointless post from him

More than pointless. Downright wrong and damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Will someone please ask about the difference between positive tests and reported cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Another thing I’ve noticed Over the last week. No de-notifications for deaths or cases...

"Has the worst case scenario materialised? "

Top class journalism.

Onesea wrote: »
    Covid payment extended to next April.
    Again we see the theatrics of the gov/media with their methods of reporting deaths.

They reported exactly what it was related to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Arghus wrote: »

Top class journalism.

Which journalist said that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Read what he edited above the 'tweet'.
    yeah I've reported him for posting fakes re covid anyway.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Which journalist said that ?

Whoever is speaking now.

Prof Nolan -? Well, we'd be seeing two and a half times the amount of cases now if the worst case materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Some of the questions are idiotic beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

People on Facebook are already freaking out, most don't actually watch the press conferences

Same people who were freaking out about Italy being on the green list without knowing they are no longer an epicentre and their cases per 100k are now better than ours.

The context behind the headline is vital.

I swear social media has completely dulled critical thinking for some people.

Well, that was brief.

Glynn isn't the absolute master of staying on message that Holohan was, but he does come across as a bit more friendly.

His acknowledgement that some people are sick of listening to warnings and negative news felt pretty genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Analysis of cases as of midnight Tuesday 21st July - 25819 cases (+17)

Healthcare Workers +12
    Clusters +73
    Cases associated with clusters +103

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +1
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +1
    25-34 +4
    35-44 +3
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +1
    65-74 +1
    75-84 +1
    85+ +2

Cases by County
    Cork +1
    Dublin +11
    Kildare +1
    Limerick +1
    Meath +1
    Westmeath +1
    Wicklow +1

yeah I've reported him for posting fakes re covid anyway.

So had I. It's hard enough keeping on top of the facts and developments without the likes of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm now seeing up to 90% of people wearing masks in shops and retail. Makes me wonder how those who don't wear them feel about themselves, very proud I imagine, god forbid they be controlled by de gubberment.

I haven’t worn a mask yet. Been on 4 buses a day since Monday and haven’t been asked to put one on. It’s nothing to do with the government, I just don’t think the numbers necessitate the wearing of masks at the moment. If in the future numbers start getting higher I’ll make a call as to whether I’ll wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Was the cases per county published yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What makes you think it will be a sizeable cluster? Reports at the moment are that one person tested positive

Can’t be level headed, this is a pandemic man!! You gotta add drama to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Arghus wrote: »

Top class journalism.

They are so intent on gloming a cheap headline that reason and rationale goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Analysis of cases as of midnight Tuesday 21st July - 25819 cases (+17)

Healthcare Workers +12
    Clusters +73
    Cases associated with clusters +103

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +1
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +1
    25-34 +4
    35-44 +3
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +1
    65-74 +1
    75-84 +1
    85+ +2

Cases by County
    Cork +1
    Dublin +11
    Kildare +1
    Limerick +1
    Meath +1
    Westmeath +1
    Wicklow +1

Again, most of the cases are concentrated in Leinster - HSE report this morning has 2 cases in UHK, though whether they will be attributed to Kerry won't be apparent until tomorrow or Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can they please stop clumping notifications like that! There was a collective sense of absolute doom in our office when that alert went out that there were 9 extra deaths.

They should be retrospectively applied to the dates on which they occurred.
    Everyone’s phone goes off with various news orgs showing 9 additional deaths and 7 new cases. That’s all people see.

It’s irresponsible and confusing reporting and it does nothing for morale. Sensationalist.

Why can't they announce "1 death in last 24 hours and 8 historical deaths only recently notified"?? Stop trigger happy journos sending out panic headlines. Why say 9 and only then provide context afterwards?
    Didn't hear the conference so this is my assumption as to how it was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Why can't they announce "1 death in last 24 hours and 8 historical deaths only recently notified"?? Stop trigger happy journos sending out panic headlines. Why say 9 and only then provide context afterwards?

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I haven’t worn a mask yet. Been on 4 buses a day since Monday and haven’t been asked to put one on. It’s nothing to do with the government, I just don’t think the numbers necessitate the wearing of masks at the moment. If in the future numbers start getting higher I’ll make a call as to whether I’ll wear one.

You need to read up on cause and effect. Your knowledge seems lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

no-mention that deaths are from a while ago on the press release https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/cad66-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-23-july/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    So had I. It's hard enough keeping on top of the facts and developments without the likes of that.

Yeah I always post things with links and verifiable sources.

People then respond by posting ****e.

I thought I mix it up. It’s there for all to see.
    It’s boring if everything i post is real.

Shame on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

El Sueño wrote: »
    Some of the questions are idiotic beyond belief
    They always have been but answers did vary. In recent times it's been the same script almost every time so the bad questions stand out even more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement