Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Aye The RTE app is already at it now, running a headline “Virus could cause “huge loss” in hospital bed capacity.

The number in hospital spiked 33% the other day

From 9 patients to 12 patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

31 out of 36 cases yesterday came from Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

This time last week Glynn alluded to us having daily cases well in excess of 50 by now

We have been sold a dud

In this case I think I'd rather be sold a dud than listen to someone who has their head buried in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

When will the government begin to realize that this has become a Dublin centric problem.

Moving forward, localized restrictions as needed make a lot more sense. It baffles me how a large nightclub in Dublin or Galway is considered the same as a rural pub where the publican will likely know 85-90% of customers on a first name basis.

I truly feel sorry for all the publicans who invested in getting their premises ready only to be blindsided at the last minute. Pathetic.

Dublin was also +25 last thursday

You’d imagine though, given the positive surge over the weekend and the site only closed Monday, that the bulk of the cases were in yesterday’s number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Seamai wrote: »
    In this case I think I'd rather be sold a dud than listen to someone who has their head buried in the sand.

Either way it shows been sold a dud that there’s no real experts. That includes you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

thelad95 wrote: »
    When will the government begin to realize that this has become a Dublin centric problem.

Moving forward, localized restrictions as needed make a lot more sense. It baffles me how a large nightclub in Dublin or Galway is considered the same as a rural pub where the publican will likely know 85-90% of customers on a first name basis.

I truly feel sorry for all the publicans who invested in getting their premises ready only to be blindsided at the last minute. Pathetic.

Thats stupid logic. Population is both higher and more dense in Dublin (don't...)

If you localise restrictions in Dublin, my fellow jackeens will be all over your Country pubs like a rash. Same goes for any other large town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

thelad95 wrote: »

There are several counties all roughly the same per 10k as Dublin

Either way it shows been sold a dud that there’s no real experts. That includes you too.

I'm well aware what the term means, I never claimed to be an expert. No need for the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

20 cases per day looks to be normal now going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Anthony stains on the last word wants a ban on travelling introduced in Ireland.so back to phase 2 is the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sure but it's his apparent inclination to get into the prediction game that has seen people asking questions. Apart from the infamous "15000 cases in March", I don't recall Holohan ever doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Much of the health advice is bang on and working . Kudos and fair play.

However there is a middle ground where we can do well clinically and also ensure our economy and vital travel links are kept open

Tbh we aren’t far off it but I think there has been far too much negativity surrounding our situation and this is having profound effects on the mental health and livelihood of hundreds of thousands of Irish men and women.

We need a mature and honest discussion about this, this isn’t going away anytime soon. We need a collective agreement about what our priorities are but also who we are going to cast to the he ditch by making these decisions

In experience , I have always found the middle ground is the best and this can be found.

However, IMO our position at the moment is far too conservative and will destroy our economy and the mental well being of over 500,000 Irish citizens with family abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Anthony stains on the last word wants a ban on travelling introduced in Ireland.so back to phase 2 is the plan.
    Is that travelling into Ireland, within Ireland or both?

I'm well aware what the term means, I never claimed to be an expert. No need for the attitude.

There’s no attude here , just reminding you’re no expert either if you’re going to be continually criticizing people having their heads buried in sand

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What for? Staines is a known hawk on these things, the domestic numbers don't justify it and tracking and cluster identification is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So fcking frustrating watching the news.

Showing clips of Richard Boyd Barrett banging on about confusion and how it's like a "set of traffic lights" with both the green light and the red light on at the same time.

No, it isn't. How does he not get it. The advice is clearly not to travel, but fortunately we live in a state where the government doesn't have the powers to keep us all on the island against our will, they can only advise. A green list isn't a signal to go on holidays to these countries. And then RTE compound it by talking about it as if it is. Why, why is there so much dumb?

There’s no attude here , just reminding you’re no expert either if you’re going to be continually criticizing people having their heads buried in sand

I didn't acuse ANYONE of burying their head in the sand, I said I'd rather that Glynn sold me a dud than had his head buried in the sand, you misinterpreted it and what's with the "continually"?

Arghus wrote: »
    So fcking frustrating watching the news.

Showing clips of Richard Boyd Barrett banging on about confusion and how it's like a "set of traffic lights" with both the green light and the red light on at the same time.

No, it isn't. How does he not get it. The advice is clearly not to travel, but fortunately we live in a state where the government doesn't have the powers to keep us all on the island against our will, they can only advise. A green list isn't a signal to go on holidays to these countries. And then RTE compound it by talking about it as if it is. Why, why is there so much dumb?

I sincerely hope that wasn’t a typo “ fortunately” and that you didn’t mean“unfortunately “

Hopefully new Covid-19 cases fall off a cliff.

I think you, me and beasty must be REALLY old as you only got thanks off us two for that pun :D

• Advertisement

I didn't acuse ANYONE of burying their head in the sand, I said I'd rather that Glynn sold me a dud than had his head buried in the sand, you misinterpreted it and what with the "continually"?

I have seen you mention that comment about people in previous posts. One of the reasons i pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

One thing I've spotted about yesterday's figures is the demographic is actually quite a bit older. 19 cases out of 36 yesterday were over the age of 45.

Only 8 over 55 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I sincerely hope that wasn’t a typo “ fortunately” and that you didn’t mean“unfortunately “

Unfortunately would mean that I think the government should have the power to detain us all on the island against our will.

So I wrote "fortunately" instead.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats stupid logic. Population is both higher and more dense in Dublin (don't...)

If you localise restrictions in Dublin, my fellow jackeens will be all over your Country pubs like a rash. Same goes for any other large town.

Likes of Newry must be full of Dubs then going by your logic?

Arghus wrote: »
    Unfortunately would mean that I think the government should have the power to detain us all on the island against our will.

So I wrote "fortunately" instead.

I know what unfortunately means, it seemed a little out of context when in the same sentence you were condeming travel to green list countries abroad and throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think the vast majority of people whether or not they booked holidays pre-pandemic fully understand that you shouldn't be going anywhere.

It's the media and certain politicians have peddled a rhetoric that the message is somewhat confusing.

We do not live in a dictatorship and we all still have free will. If we need to travel to a foreign country for whatever reason that we in our own adult minds deem to be responsible and necessary, we haven't once been stopped from doing that. The government has simply issued an advisory that it's unsafe to do so the same way as they have put messages on cigarettes telling you of the consequences of smoking. People still buy them every day.

I think a lot of people were just looking for an excuse not to feel guilty for traveling. If you have a holiday booked, the airline is flying and you feel comfortable with the concept of travelling then just go. If you don't feel comfortable then don't. How about using your own personal responsibility to make a decision instead of waiting for de gubberment to tell you what to do?

I have seen you mention that comment about people in previous posts. One of the reasons i pointed it out.

Oh yeah, I use that I'd rather be sold a dud than listen to someone with their head buried in the sand all the time, go on dredge through my posts and find just one. I dare ya!

We're holding remarkably steady at an average of 20 cases a day considering all that has opened. No need to row back currently.

Oh yeah, I use that I'd rather be sold a dud than listen to someone with their head buried in the sand all the time, go on dredge through my posts. I dare ya!

I honestly couldn’t be arsed.

• Advertisement

I honestly couldn’t be arsed.

Because you wouldn't find it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement