Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

9 deaths is terrible.

R.I.P.

Did you pay any attention to either the reports, news or this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Did you pay any attention to either the reports, news or this thread?

Poster in question dips in and out of thread with the most end of the world type posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Shocking to think back that there was 77 deaths reported on April 20th - and there were legions of flutes to be found in this forum at the time saying it was only flu, end lockdown now etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Spain just put up +2,600 cases today. While they report PCR and antibody tests together, their PCRs were 971 today. France also cracked 1,000 daily cases again. Belgium biggest increase in two months by a longshot. Worrying trends after yesterday’s world total was by far the biggest yet at 280k.

No, I’m not enjoying posting this “doom”. Certainly ones to watch as we loosen restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Arghus wrote: »
    Shocking to think back that there was 77 deaths reported on April 20th - and there were legions of flutes to be found in this forum at the time saying it was only flu, end lockdown now etc, etc.

I used to be riled by people like this, especially in the early days of this but I just am thankful we don't live in a country where people with those opinions are in policy making position, making stupid decisions (or no decisions at all, look at Belarus and Sweden) having the blood of thousands on their hands.

If these people want to vent their uneducated nonsense rhetoric on an anonymous internet forum in the considerable amount of free time they seem to have, then they can go ahead, it's a free country with free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

He said 9 and then immediately clarified that 8 of them were historical cases.

Mountain being made out of a molehill here.

I don't agree. It wouldn't be difficult as many have said to give pertinent information first i.e. that 1 person has died in the last day. Then provide other historical new additions. They (journalists) can't help themselves making headlines for bad news and putting context in the articles, so saying 1 death in last 24 hours would at least temper that.

520923.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The people who called it a flu bothered me to no end...

...but the people who called it a 'flue' made me want chew the keys off my keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Santy2015 wrote: »

Will we get a choice if they all make it through, or be told which one is best :)

Will we get a choice if they all make it through, or be told which one is best :)

Personally I’ll take whatever im given :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't agree. It wouldn't be difficult as many have said to give pertinent information first i.e. that 1 person has died in the last day. Then provide other historical new additions. They (journalists) can't help themselves making headlines for bad news and putting context in the articles, so saying 1 death in last 24 hours would at least temper that.

520923.png

Good news doesn't sell, and people have a weird fetish for misery when it comes to current affairs, this pandemic has magnified that ten fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

SteHam wrote: »
    A friend of mine caught it in Italy and had to get his leg amputated as a result... He was only 24 and played lacrosse so was fit as a fiddle.

This virus no joke.

Jesus

It's cases like this that scare me shítless

It's not an outlier example of it either

Broadway actor Nick Cordero has leg amputated after COVID-19 complications

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-broadway-actor-nick-cordero-has-leg-amputated-after-covid-19-complications-11975564

Is it the blood clotting aspect of Covid that causes this?

There's a cohort of posters who all registered at roughly the same time, all share exactly the same viewpoint - "open it up!

All very suspicious how they just found their way to boards magically at the same time...

Surely the Mods/Admin can hunt them down?

The software they use for catching re-regs is very strong

8 are late notifications - took place in April, May, June.

Was that said in the briefing or did we have to go digging for it ourselves?

Very bad form if it wasn't said in the briefings. When I saw the headline earlier I was worried

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Was that said in the briefing or did we have to go digging for it ourselves?

Very bad form if it wasn't said in the briefings. When I saw the headline earlier I was worried

He said it at the start. All the media outlets jumped the gun

520923.png

I don't know if you watched the briefing or not, but he really did explain the figure instantly afterwards: he went out of his way to say it.

It's always been understood and made clear that the figure for deaths is just what they have been notified of in the last 24 hours and every statement is always prefaced with "we have been notified of x deaths in the last 24 hours" and this was no different: they had been notified of 9 deaths in the last 24 hours. It's a statement of fact.

There's a set way that they've always listed out figures at the start of every briefing. They don't improvise or change it up from day to day. It's dry and precise on purpose.

Dr. Glynn wasn't going to come out and start with an aside about some deaths etc, etc. The figure of notified deaths was always going to come first. And in any case he was instantly in to explain that not all of these deaths were in the last 24 hours.

Anyone watching would been in no doubt about that fact: zero. To criticise for that is looking for fault to an extreme. And if the papers print slightly misleading headlines, well that is their doing, not on account of what he said.

He said it at the start. All the media outlets jumped the gun

Ah ok, I managed to pretty much avoid all the news on it till about 7pm today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

He said 9 and then immediately clarified that 8 of them were historical cases.

Mountain being made out of a molehill here.

I mean, you could say that about the hysteria of the last 3 months since the curve was flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

thelad95 wrote: »
    I used to be riled by people like this, especially in the early days of this but I just am thankful we don't live in a country where people with those opinions are in policy making position, making stupid decisions (or no decisions at all, look at Belarus and Sweden) having the blood of thousands on their hands.

If these people want to vent their uneducated nonsense rhetoric on an anonymous internet forum in the considerable amount of free time they seem to have, then they can go ahead, it's a free country with free speech.

Blood on their hands in the likes of Belarus,Sweden no doubt but you'll still get the odd fella on here that thinks those countries have done remarkably well in their approach.

I mean, you could say that about the hysteria of the last 3 months since the curve was flattened.

Nope.

Your comparisons are not analogous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There's a cohort of posters who all registered at roughly the same time, all share exactly the same viewpoint - "open it up! Nothing but flu! You curtain twitching Doom mongers!" - have the same approach to critical analysis (None is ever applied to anything that supports their argument, no matter how dubiously sourced or misleading it may be) and enjoy whataboutery and evasiveness instead of actually discussing issues. Most of them are safely contained in the other thread, thankfully, but there is a bit of overspill from time to time.

All very suspicious how they just found their way to boards magically at the same time...

Probably from some employers group..

My old man who just changed optician, booked as a matter of coincidence with one directly across the road from his sister, the one who works in the homeless charity... supposed to be back office admin during the pandemic but of course... right... my mother offers him a lift there and back as parking is bad but he’s adamant the bus will be grand. Right, don’t need to be a genius as to know where this is going.

Laura on Reddit Ireland's briefing recap

New Cases: 7
    Denotified: N/A
    Total Cases: 25,826
    New Death: 9 > 8 of these are late notifications, taking place in April, May and June
    Denotified: N/A
    Total Deaths: 1,763

Over the past 14 days
    • Cases notified: 272
    • Cases occuring during this time: 183
    • Median age: 39 > 58% less than 45
    • Underlying conditions: 42
    • Healthcare workers: 61
    • Cases in Dublin: 116
    • Cases in Kildare: 14
    • Cases in Cork 10
    • Remaining 43 spread across: 18 other counties
    Hospital
    • Confirmed cases in hospital: 14
    • Of these, in ICU: 6
    Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)
    • Clusters: 471
    • Total Cases: 7485
    • Total Deaths: 1114
    Nursing Homes
    • Clusters: 267
    • Total Cases: 5862
    • Total Deaths: 991
    Stats and Modelling
    • Last week, cases per day: 19
    • Cases per day now: 18 > We have now some stability
    • Number of deaths per day, on average: 1 > Many of these are delayed notification of deaths
    • 14 day cumulative 3.84/100,000 > Rate of increase seems to have tapered off, but it may be too soon to say
    • All other indicators of sever disease have remained stable or are declining
    • ICU admission rate: 1 every 5 days
    • Deaths rate: 1 every 3-5 days when you look at date of death
    • Tests completed on average per day: 7,500
    • Test positivity rate: 0.25% > This is very low by international standards
    Location of disease
    • <2% in residential care facilities
    • Still high amount of community
    • Decrease in healthcare workers
    • Re-emergence of outbreaks in various settings - proportion seems stable
    • Almost half of cases are in private homes
    How is the virus being transmitted?
    • Close contact with already known case - good signal that test and trace is picking up
    • Decrease in nosocomial
    • Decrease in travel related transmission - still significant but less than it has been in preceeding weeks
    • 20 travel related in the week up to last Sunday
    Reproduction Number
    • Still difficult to calculate it
    • Has decreased this week compared to last week
    • Know our model based estimates are out,
    • Statistical method is the best method, the other two methods over and underestimate
    • Estimate for last week is between 1.2 and 1.4
    • Estimate for this week is between 1.1 and 1.4
    • Need to see this going on for another 7-10 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Nope.

Your comparisons are not analogous.

Well our data says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

There's a cohort of posters who all registered at roughly the same time, all share exactly the same viewpoint - "open it up! Nothing but flu! You curtain twitching Doom mongers!" - have the same approach to critical analysis (None is ever applied to anything that supports their argument, no matter how dubiously sourced or misleading it may be) and enjoy whataboutery and evasiveness instead of actually discussing issues. Most of them are safely contained in the other thread, thankfully, but there is a bit of overspill from time to time.

Agree, but also many new posters registered at the same time on the other side of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Must be some conspiracy.
    Imagine people registering to post about a pandemic in the country, one of the most significant events to hit the country in a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

robbiezero wrote: »
    Must be some conspiracy.
    Imagine people registering to post about a pandemic in the country, one of the most significant events to hit the country in a century.

And not even living in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

According to RTE news: “Over the past 14 days, 272 cases have been notified, of which 183 have actually arisen during that period, giving a 14-day-incidence of 3.84 per 100,000 of the population.”

Where did the 89 other cases come from?

According to RTE news: “Over the past 14 days, 272 cases have been notified, of which 183 have actually arisen during that period, giving a 14-day-incidence of 3.84 per 100,000 of the population.”

Are they all backlogged cases? I said earlier there’s been no de notifications lately at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

They must have delayed reporting on tests somewhere. Those 89 could have occurred the week prior??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Are they all backlogged cases? I said earlier there’s been no de notifications lately at all

I really dont like how we’re reporting old cases and deaths tbh its a shocking system

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement