Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

As someone who works in a large post primary school, good luck getting teenager's to wear masks/ppe gear all day, will only be a joke to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    89 out of 272 is 32.7%

That's a huge descreptancy

Somethings not right with the reporting

well I am calling BS on their median time for results (28 hours), waiting over 65 hours for a family members swab results now.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think we can say Covid-19 is not seasonal - cases rising again in the middle of summer.

You do understand that once countries get their active case numbers down as low as Irelands and once restrictions are eased there is only one direction they can go?

Also seasonality is probably not what your assuming it means in FL for example summertime will see the virus spread more than winter, but in Ireland the opposite will more likely be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

schmoo2k wrote: »
    well I am calling BS on their median time for results (28 hours), waiting over 65 hours for a family members swab results now.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/test-results.html
    If you have been waiting longer than 3 days for your test result, phone HSELive on 1850 24 1850.

fr336 wrote: »
    Agreed govt are being too slow with easing of restrictions. But lockdown was reason ICU didnt come under strain - we shouldn't forget this. And there won't be another lockdown (probably).

Better too slow than too fast - also I don't want to see schools / colleges / pubs all re-opening at the same time (pubs one month, schools the next and then colleges?) and be prepared for them to get shutdown again as needed.

• Advertisement

50 isolated in Da Nang after man tests positive for Covid-19

Looks like Vietnam is ending its run on day 99. Was good while it lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Strumms wrote: »
    Precisely... opening up to soon has serious health ramifications that will be the catalyst to more people catching covid and dying. Delaying will pause the economy, economic recovery is doable. Not everyone recovers from covid.

How long can we wait for a vaccine? Tegnel seems to have hit the nail on the head some months ago. Once economies open up they will see a spread of the virus.
    With air travel volumes up the past 6 weeks across Europe the clusters we have now is what we will have to live with.
    Best bet is keep fit, plenty of nutrious food.Keep your immune system strong. As we all know there really may never be a vaccine.

Onesea wrote: »
    How long can we wait for a vaccine? Tegnel seems to have hit the nail on the head some months ago. Once economies open up they will see a spread of the virus.
    With air travel volumes up the past 6 weeks across Europe the clusters we have now is what we will have to live with.
    Best bet is keep fit, plenty of nutrious food.Keep your immune system strong. As we all know there really may never be a vaccine.

Thank you Dr Doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

50 isolated in Da Nang after man tests positive for Covid-19

Looks like Vietnam is ending its run on day 99. Was good while it lasted.

Does Vietnam have strict mandatory quarantine on the way in? Or are borders open now? If the former, fascinating that it’s found after 99 days.

Does Vietnam have strict mandatory quarantine on the way in? Or are borders open now? If the former, fascinating that it’s found after 99 days.

Yes, very strict and very low numbers entering. But it was in the news a few days ago that some Chinese people have been caught entering illegally. 24 of them in that city so I guess that's where it might have come from.

Anyways, it was inevitable that it would get back into the community I guess. Vietnam has been down to 0 community cases twice now so let's see if they can do it again. (If the guy is actually positive and this isn't an improbable series of false positives.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Big surge in cases now worldwide. This winter is going to be very difficult indeed. People keep talking about deaths and yes the numbers are going to be horrific but the long term health effects of this virus are only now coming to light and they are indeed grim.

Thank you Dr Doom.

We need a plan, right now every days news cycle is dreary and without any hope or direction from government. Go on for a few more months releasing snippits of news daily.. Or just plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    Surely the current carry on cannot be sustained for very much longer.

What is with this continuous BS? - "As we all know" there are at least 4 different vaccines at phase 3 testing.

What is with this continuous BS? - "As we all know" there are at least 4 different vaccines at phase 3 testing.
    That poster is referring to one that works. For now that is true but we hope one or more of the candidate vaccines will be successful.

Big surge in cases now worldwide. This winter is going to be very difficult indeed. People keep talking about deaths and yes the numbers are going to be horrific but the long term health effects of this virus are only now coming to light and they are indeed grim.

More BS - there is a steady growth in numbers worldwide - no "surge" as suggested.

Ah that's great news, but there is every likelyhood none of them will be successful. Proving they work or not work is going to take a year or two.

is_that_so wrote: »
    That poster is referring to one that works. For now that is true but we hope one or more of the candidate vaccines will be successful.

There is already documented evidence that they work - it takes time to ensure they are safe and to get doses correct etc.

There are also some treatments been shown to work as well (one if the more promising ones is using an already approved interferon drug).

The op was stating "we all know there really may never be a vaccine" and that is BS as I for one do not "know" that.

Ah that's great news, but there is every likelyhood none of them will be successful. Proving they work or not work is going to take a year or two.

Well IMO there is every likelihood that some of them will make it to market by early 2021. And just to be clear they have already been shown to work (you don't go to phase 3 with a drug that doesn't work).

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

The biggest issue IMO for a vaccine is safety. I posted this in April in another thread, but it is still relevant
    EDit wrote: »
    I work in pharma, but not vaccines, so bear in mind this is my opinion, not fact. That said, I’d imagine the biggest issue is safety and the need to assess that safety over a long period of time. The issue of safety (which is important for all medicines) is compounded in the case of vaccines because so many people receive the treatment and those people are healthy.

For example, say you have a drug for a relatively rare form of cancer that causes spontaneous fatal heart attacks in 0.01% of patients. If only 10,000 people globally are treated per year with this drug and they all have a high chance of dying of the cancer, then the 1 person dying of a heart attack every year might be considered an acceptable risk in the grand scheme of things. However, if a vaccine for something like Covid-19 caused spontaneous fatal heart attacks in 0.01% of people over the 5 years following vaccination, and the vaccine was given to a billion people, then that’s 100,000 healthy people dropping down dead from the vaccine. This is an extreme example, but it shows how important it is to know about even very rare side effects.

There is already documented evidence that they work - it takes time to ensure they are safe and to get doses correct etc.

There are also some treatments been shown to work as well (one if the more promising ones is using an already approved interferon drug).

The op was stating "we all know there really may never be a vaccine" and that is BS as I for one do not "know" that.
    Yes, in testing so still quite a way to go to an approved working vaccine. I hope one or more will but the poster is not completely wrong about vaccines at present.

• Advertisement

We need a plan, right now every days news cycle is dreary and without any hope or direction from government. Go on for a few more months releasing snippits of news daily.. Or just plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    Surely the current carry on cannot be sustained for very much longer.

The plan is pretty clear where I am sitting:
    • Lockdown
    • Get number of cases under control
    • Improve infrastructure for testing
    • Improve infrastructure for treatment
    • Ease restrictions
    • Identify and track new clusters quickly
    • Localised lockdown as needed
    • Test, Test, Test and adjust plan as needed.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes, in testing so still quite a way to go to an approved working vaccine. I hope one or more will but the poster is not completely wrong about vaccines at present.

They did use the word "may" so correct they are not completely wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm aware we didn't have enough fvcking tests. Didn't stop people going "ah sure it's not that bad" or people going today our numbers were not curtailed.

I'm also aware we didn't have enough masks.
    "Didn't stop people going they don't work"

What context was that? I may be missing something.
    Saying they happened sometime in the past is not context.

Why are they only being added now?
    Why are some deaths added sooner rather than later?

Announcing 90% of the deaths today as having happened in the past and not explaining why that is = Not transparent IMHO.

This has been said a million times before. The deaths announced on any day are the deaths reported to them in the past 24 hours regardless of when they happened. They only announced them yesterday because they were only informed of them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

This has been said a million times before. The deaths announced on any day are the deaths reported to them in the past 24 hours regardless of when they happened. They only announced them yesterday because they were only informed of them yesterday.

They could announce it differently though 1 death and we are adding 8 other deaths, 9 is the headline and many people only read the headline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

What is this nonsense? There is not every likelihood that none of them will work. They all probably work. Phase three trials are confirmation that they work and to test the safety. There are already hundreds of thousands of people walking around who have been vaccinated. I would bet large sums of money that ChAdOx1 works and will be available in less than 18 months, possibly nine months.

Dante7 wrote: »
    What is this nonsense? There is not every likelihood that none of them will work. They all probably work. Phase three trials are confirmation that they work and to test the safety. There are already hundreds of thousands of people walking around who have been vaccinated. I would bet large sums of money that ChAdOx1 works and will be available in less than 18 months, possibly nine months.

I didn't know there where already hundreds ds of thousands of people already vaccinated. What country? The news hasn't picked up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Chances are multiple vaccines will "work", some better than others.

They can do all the sample phase tests they want but which ones work better won't be known until it is scaled up and deployed en masse.

It's extremely rare the first batch of vaccines go on to be the ones that are widely used. Vaccines development doesn't end when a vaccines is released, it's just starting really.

2 main things the bodies that approve these drugs look at.

1. Safe.
    2. Effective

Sometimes it can take decades to determine it fully.

There was a drug on the market in the States that claimed to reduce heart attacks by reducing blood pressure.

It reduced blood pressure all right, but had absolutely no effect on the number of people who suffered heart attacks.

The FDA pulled it after 20 years of use because it wasn't effective.

I think it will be naive to think corners will not be cut for the most important "medicine" in a generation.

Operation Warp Speed is a clue. :)

We could be well into 2021 or beyond before we get the "winner".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They could announce it differently though 1 death and we are adding 8 other deaths, 9 is the headline and many people only read the headline

That would just lead to confusion and loads of questions and accusations of them trying to obscure the figures so they don't look as bad. There was 9 deaths notified to them in 24 hours so that is the figure. If they had tried to do it the way you suggested, it would sound cumbersome and confusing and I guarantee a lot of people would be calling them out for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus.

They said we can confirm 9 more deaths 8 of them "historic".

No one who is a functioning adult is confused by it and if they are short of getting the crayons out there isn't a lot we can do for those people.

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere in Ireland selling antibody tests. I'd like to get one done if they are reliable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement