Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus.

They said we can confirm 9 more deaths 8 of them "historic".

No one who is a functioning adult is confused by it and if they are short of getting the crayons out there isn't a lot we can do for those people.

That's fine if you were watching it, I don't think many are now, the media run with 9 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That would just lead to confusion and loads of questions and accusations of them trying to obscure the figures so they don't look as bad. There was 9 deaths notified to them in 24 hours so that is the figure. If they had tried to do it the way you suggested, it would sound cumbersome and confusing and I guarantee a lot of people would be calling them out for doing it.

I disagree. There is far more confusion in the way that they are doing it.
    While its not their fault that the majority of media is click-bait, sensationalist rubbish looking for a headline, at this point they should really be trying to avoid playing into their hands.

I can't see how it wouldn't be straightforward to start the press conference with something like
    In the last 24 hours there have been X deaths and Y cases and then follow on with the "small print".
    As far as I know when deaths or cases are de-notified they don't subtract them from their opening figures (needs verification).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That's fine if you were watching it, I don't think many are now, the media run with 9 deaths.

9 confirmed deaths, it's an accurate reflection of what transpired in the 24 hour period.

I have yet to read an article that doesn't state 8 are "historic".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus.

They said we can confirm 9 more deaths 8 of them "historic".

No one who is a functioning adult is confused by it and if they are short of getting the crayons out there isn't a lot we can do for those people.
    Most people just catch the headlines or the push notification on the app. Most people aren't going in to read the full article every single day on the off chance the numbers are skewed for a reason. Its a misleading headline.

9 confirmed deaths, it's an accurate reflection of what transpired in the 24 hour period.

That's OK if you have time to read the article, I tend to remember to check it every evening between 6 and 7, I only look at the headline in the journal or rte app. Both state 9 deaths and no mention of when in the headlines, as said above when deaths are denotified it is a little note at the end, surely the same approach would be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

AdamD wrote: »
    Most people just catch the headlines or the push notification on the app. Most people aren't going in to read the full article every single day on the off chance the numbers are skewed for a reason. Its a misleading headline.

Link?

Some people would be more accurate, correct?

If "most people" are educating themselves from a headline than that is a separate issue.

Either way what tangible difference does it make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why do people spend so much time reflecting on the actions of people they don't know and will never get to know? Life is far too short to indulge in such pointless judgemental exercises. It's a lot more beneficial for everyone if you try to be a better version of yourself.

I dont understand this attitude. If the actions of others are potentially putting me at risk then of course I'm going to be concerned. If someone is speeding and liable to pass me, am i not entitled to pass judgement? If however they decide to speed when driving in a field where noone else around, I wont poke my nose in as they only risk killing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The fault lies with the media and the people who only read headlines in that case. Yet people are intent on claiming it's a conspiracy by NPHET/government.

The fault lies with the media and the people who only read headlines in that case. Yet people are intent on claiming it's a conspiracy by NPHET/government.

I am not claiming anything, if when they denotify an old death take it off the days figure also, there should be the same approach for notifying of a previous death.

Unlike some on here, everyone doesn't have time to read every article on covid, the days they give it time their real lives suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I am not claiming anything, if when they denotify an old death take it off the days figure also, there should be the same approach for notifying of a previous death.

Sorry, I know you're not claiming that, should have been more clear there. I'm just pointing out that the issue here is with how the media report it and to a lesser extent people not reading the articles.

I added the part about conspiracies as it's a related point. I wasn't trying to suggest you were engaging in conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Onesea wrote: »
    Ah that's great news, but there is every likelyhood none of them will be successful. Proving they work or not work is going to take a year or two.

Not really assuming the vaccines are independent of each other then prob. none of them work is less than 1%, given 85% of vaccines that reach phase 3 are approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The bit about quarantining of people arriving off flights sounds familiar.

https://twitter.com/GavinLeeBBC/status/1286599377407160320

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sorry, I know you're not claiming that, should have been more clear there. I'm just pointing out that the issue here is with how the media report it and to a lesser extent people not reading the articles.

I added the part about conspiracies as it's a related point. I wasn't trying to suggest you were engaging in conspiracies.

Yes, it is the medias fault in how they report it and I don't think its any sort of conspiracy, but surely a small bit of cop on would easily sort this.
    I imagine that like myself most (or some) people only really want to know # deaths and # cases for the day and if that info is in the headline, IDEALLY there would be no need to click in to the article.

Its a minor issue, but it certainly does give people (SOME) a scare and I have met people hours later who still hadn't copped the true figures for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Is there anywhere in Ireland selling antibody tests. I'd like to get one done if they are reliable.

I don't know, but there is testing of them going on (and some are failing miserably by all accounts).

What I would like to see is the blood bank offering free antibody testing for anyone who donates, as I think blood with antibodies can be used to create a serum which in turn can be used to vaccinate others (my understanding, please correct if wrong).

That right there is the difference!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Having a headline of 9 deaths when 8 of them are historic is very misleading, regardless of what it says in the article many will just look at the headline and run with it.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yes, it is the medias fault in how they report it and I don't think its any sort of conspiracy, but surely a small bit of cop on would easily sort this.
    I imagine that like myself most (or some) people only really want to know # deaths and # cases for the day and if that info is in the headline, IDEALLY there would be no need to click in to the article.

Its a minor issue, but it certainly does give people (SOME) a scare and I have met people hours later who still hadn't copped the true figures for the day.

I would like to think that the majority of folks realise that headlines these days are more an attempt to get you to visit a page (with adds on it), than to actually convey true facts... Its why we refer to them as "media sources".

In some countries they have now outlawed fake news (which is a good start IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Physician for informed consent say infection fatality rate for covid 19 is 0.26%

What is the fatality rate in Ireland?

Lots of people rely on the daily numbers to gauge how things are going. But people have busy lives. Often you are only able to have a glance at the headline.

It is very important that we announce the numbers correctly. We have been very bad at doing so lately.

It seems there are constantly backlogs getting tossed in to either the cases and/or deaths.

• Advertisement

Physician for informed consent say infection fatality rate for covid 19 is 0.26%

Confirmed Infected = 25,826
    Confirmed Deaths = 1,763
    Fatality Rate = (1,763 / 25,826) * 100 = 6.8%

Please note that "Confirmed Infected" is not the same as "Total Infected" which is unknown and thus the above figure is very wrong in the context of your 0.26.

If we assume that total cases is 10->20 times higher than known, our numbers get closer, but are still higher which would make sense given our nursing home numbers.

Lots of people rely on the daily numbers to gauge how things are going. But people have busy lives. Often you are only able to have a glance at the headline.

It is very important that we announce the numbers correctly. We have been very bad at doing so lately.

It seems there are constantly backlogs getting tossed in to either the cases and/or deaths.

The point is we are announcing the numbers correctly - its the media that isn't reporting in a way you would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Very worrying rises everywhere now. A 3 year old died in Belgium absolutely tragic.

Very worrying rises everywhere now. A 3 year old died in Belgium absolutely tragic.

Unexpected rises? We are opening up, by necessity. There will be rises everywhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

robbiezero wrote: »
    I disagree. There is far more confusion in the way that they are doing it.
    While its not their fault that the majority of media is click-bait, sensationalist rubbish looking for a headline, at this point they should really be trying to avoid playing into their hands.

I can't see how it wouldn't be straightforward to start the press conference with something like
    In the last 24 hours there have been X deaths and Y cases and then follow on with the "small print".
    As far as I know when deaths or cases are de-notified they don't subtract them from their opening figures (needs verification).

For a start we don't report deaths that happened in the past 24 hours, we report deaths that have been notified in the past 24 hours. It takes time to notify deaths and it usually doesn't happen very quickly. If we were to report deaths notified to them that happened in the last 24 hours (they don't know about deaths that haven't been notified so they can't report those) we would be having a lot of 0 death days and, once again, people would complain that they are doing it to keep the headline figures low.

Ronan Glynn did exactly as you said. He said there were 9 new deaths notified in the past 24 hours and that 8 of them are historic and date from between April and June. He gave the figure and immediately followed up with the small print.

The issue is most people don't realise what the figures really are. Our reported deaths figures is deaths that have been notified in the past 24 hours. People mistakenly think they are the deaths that have happened in the past 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

While it doesn't diminish the tragedy of this. The child suffered from a number of severe underlining conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At least 75%, based on this thread. And if you don't die you will have one or more limbs amputated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I’m just wondering why so they give a R0 number of between 0.7 and 1.4
    Just seems a very wide band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I didn't know there where already hundreds ds of thousands of people already vaccinated. What country? The news hasn't picked up on that.

The Chinese Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’m just wondering why so they give a R0 number of between 0.7 and 1.4
    Just seems a very wide band.

Some models have it at 0.7 and others at 1.4. They know that 0.7 is too low and 1.4 is too high so its somewhere in between.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement