Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Would love to know where the 89 came from though but good that it seems to be on track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

i actually do not keep track of weekly figures to be honest :pac:

Oh I'm sure you can rustle up figures for the last 8 weeks there

tenor.gif?itemid=7227399

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

those killarney partiers really f'd it up for everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

those killarney partiers really f'd it up for everyone else

If we had a stable government the past few months we would not have the level of restrictions we currently have. I think that is the reason things have moved so slow, perhaps understandable, but I do not think there are data-driven reasons, just a lack of a formed government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Whitters22 wrote: »
    I believe Ingrid Miley said on the news yesterday that the threat of a second wave is dangling over us like the 'Sword of Damocles'.

I thought she said "like a piñata"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's not much but think this would be welcome. People would still need to self isolate unless coming from green list country either way. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/visitors-may-be-required-to-take-covid-19-test-before-they-travel-1.4313016

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's not much but think this would be welcome. People would still need to self isolate unless coming from green list country either way. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/visitors-may-be-required-to-take-covid-19-test-before-they-travel-1.4313016

will this take as long as the green to come into effect

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If we had a stable government the past few months we would not have the level of restrictions we currently have. I think that is the reason things have moved so slow, perhaps understandable, but I do not think there are data-driven reasons, just a lack of a formed government.
    Restrictions came from NPHET recommendations and they would have been the same or even more stringent under "stable" government.

Instead of us testing... we're getting someone else to do it for us? How is that going to work? In most countries you can't get tested unless you have symptoms

• Advertisement

Instead of us testing... we're getting someone else to do it for us? How is that going to work? In most countries you can't get tested unless you have symptoms
    It sounds like kite flying for social media until someone spots how unworkable it is. The concern here is the minister in charge and he's not always inclined to be flexible nor to go for the most sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is there any figure on the price per test carried out?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Is there any figure on the price per test carried out?
    A cost of about €200 end to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I don't disagree with that but could still have imported cases from countries with similar risk level. I'd favour mandatory quarantine for travel from high risk areas but doesn't seem to be any will from government to implement

I agree we could import cases from countries with a similar risk.

But the USA had 69,116 new cases yesterday, Brazil had 58,080 new cases and India had 48,446 yesterday.

The risk of importing the virus from those countries is clearly orders of magnitude greater than from countries with figures like ours (~20 new cases).

The fact remains, we could halve the risk from imported cases by producing a red list for only three countries - USA, Brazil and India.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

is_that_so wrote: »
    It sounds like kite flying for social media until someone spots how unworkable it is. The concern here is the minister in charge and he's not always inclined to be flexible nor to go for the most sensible option.

Yeah, so when someone shows up with a certificate from "OrangeMan Medical Inc" saying negative, they're welcome (if they self-isolate, which they won't). It's not like anyone is going to show up to the airport with proof that they've tested positive.

So I don't really see this changing much, maybe a few people who tested positive will stay home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Another day off for Brainie2

Looking forward to the day we give you your pink slip, as I'm sure are you :)

Citizen aka The Stat Brain: what are the week on week averages for the last 8 weeks?

This week felt like a good one overall
    New cases notified to HPSC as of midnight

Friday May 28th to Thursday June 4th = 325
    Friday June 5th to Thursday June 11th = 107
    Friday June 12th to Thursday June 18th = 123
    Friday June 19th to Thursday June 25th = 69
    Friday June 26th to Thursday July 2nd = 91
    Friday July 3rd to Thursday July 9th = 116
    Friday July 10th to Thursday July 16th = 152
    Friday July 17th to Thursday July 23rd 117

Did not account for denotifications as do not know to which dates these denotifications apply.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    and they won't go to waste.

They literally will go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is there any value to an antibody test now or have they proven to be of not much use?

Other countries have requirement for tests. Heard GP being asked on radio about it while ago and HSE don't facilitate it alright (unless someone lied about symptoms presumably) but private companies do. Think it's fair enough from high risk countries at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

7 day average is down to 17 cases a day now. This day last week it was 22 cases per day average.

Are you always running these calcuations?

• Advertisement

will this take as long as the green to come into effect

I've no idea tbh, even if it will come into effect. But given the online passenger form is only going online by 10th August. So doubt it will be out for a while if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I agree we could import cases from countries with a similar risk.

But the USA had 69,116 new cases yesterday, Brazil had 58,080 new cases and India had 48,446 yesterday.

The risk of importing the virus from those countries is clearly orders of magnitude greater than from countries with figures like ours (~20 new cases).

The fact remains, we could halve the risk from imported cases by producing a red list for only three countries - USA, Brazil and India.

No it wouldn't halve the risk because this theory relies on the idea that a nation's tested numbers in any way reflect the true scale of a pandemic. Mexico reports almost 1000 deaths every weekday and only what like a measily 7000 or 8000 or so new cases. It's crazy, they're probably missing at least 200,000 new infections daily that never are diagnosed. Just one example among many, though Mexico probably has the one of the lowest rates of testing in the world for a hotspot tbf

Play has resumed at Cork County and Cork Harlequins cricket clubs after a negative test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

New news today, 1 in 5 young people don't return to their normal health after 2-3 weeks with the illness.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.htm?s_cid=mm6930e1_w&fbclid=IwAR2YzFXc11p2I6rOQPI2MGYN48eSjheGv2cpMRX97OeE9_zTAFys3vhqrqo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

60,000 Americans hospitalised with COVID yesterday.

Again, for anyone who thinks this might be like flu(just because it seems to pop up still almost every day), about 450,000 Americans are hospitalsied in an entire 4-5 months flu season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

New news today, 1 in 5 young people don't return to their normal health after 2-3 weeks with the illness.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6930e1.htm?s_cid=mm6930e1_w&fbclid=IwAR2YzFXc11p2I6rOQPI2MGYN48eSjheGv2cpMRX97OeE9_zTAFys3vhqrqo

Yawn!

Who would have thought a sickness can make you a bit sick for 2 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Or to flip the headline on its head. '4 in 5 young people return to their normal health after 2-3 weeks with the illness'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Only 1 in 5? I'd have said that's quite good no? Plus 2-3 weeks is no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/23/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

60,000 Americans hospitalised with COVID yesterday alone.

Again, for anyone who thinks this might be like flu(just because it seems to pop up still almost every day), about 450,000 Americans are hospitalsied in an entire 4-5 months flu season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Just for anyone that could misread that post, it is 60,000 currently in hospital with Covid, not 60,000 people being hospitalised yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tanaiste-leo-varadkar-says-there-may-be-a-third-and-a-fourth-wave-of-coronavirus-39395501.html

Headline: Leo says there may be a third and fourth wave of the coronavirus.

Story: there might be a second wave, the third wave is people dying as a consequence of the health service being interrupted and the fourth wave is people dying as a result of the economic fallout.

How many will just read the headline?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement