Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

5 people in the country currently in icu with covid

jesus thats really good, but that ll probably shoot up at some stage, sounds like india is in serious trouble with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jesus thats really good, but that ll probably shoot up at some stage,

You sound hopeful.

You sound hopeful.

yea top form, but second waves are inevitable in pandemics unfortunately

yea top form, but second waves are inevitable in pandemics unfortunately

Good news is we have learnt how to handle the situation if there is one.

Good news is we have learnt how to handle the situation if there is one.

we ve definitely learned a lot, but does our health care system have the capacity, and can our economy withstand it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

How was there not more clusters in food retail outlets? Customers mixing in closed spaces with worker v building site, no customers and probebly an outside setting.
    Since there is so little cases I think they are doing their darn best to keep the c19 drama train running at full steam.

Onesea wrote: »
    How was there not more clusters in food retail outlets? Customers mixing in closed spaces with worker v building site, no customers and probebly an outside setting.
    Since there is so little cases I think they are doing their darn best to keep the c19 drama train running at full steam.

it is unusual with retail, but they reacted quickly and are generally very well organised to deal with it, id imagine that sector is more use to hygiene than other sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I've read this morning that a total of 8 people under 65 and without an underlying condition have so far died in Ireland from Covid 19. Not entirely sure if it's factual. Could anyone clarify?

I've read this morning that a total of 8 people under 65 and without an underlying condition have so far died in Ireland from Covid 19. Not entirely sure if it's factual. Could anyone clarify?

plausible, some younger ones that have survived, are experiencing serious mental health and physical health issues post covid

plausible, some younger ones that have survived, are experiencing serious mental health and physical health issues post covid

Are there any long term studies to confirm your claims?

• Advertisement

Are there any long term studies to confirm your claims?

very limited information coming through, id say research departments are just overwhelmed at the moment to gather more definite data, and restrictive access due to the virus, but countries that experienced heightened virus levels first are starting to report serious issues as mentioned

There was a fact check article on the Journal about this claim. That idiot Niall Boylan features in it so l have no intention posting it here. 117 under 65 died with Covid 19 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

93% of deaths are attributed to people with underlying conditions.

Yup,doesn't really paint a picture of a pandemic does it.I don't buy it being anything worst or more dangerous than any virus or illnesses already present. An over reaction is an understatement.

Yup,doesn't really paint a picture of a pandemic does it.I don't buy it being anything worst or more dangerous than any virus or illnesses already present. An over reaction is an understatement.

its not an overreaction, even interviews from irish survivors should be enough to confirm this, many relatively young

very limited information coming through, id say research departments are just overwhelmed at the moment to gather more definite data, and restrictive access due to the virus, but countries that experienced heightened virus levels first are starting to report serious issues as mentioned

Any study I have read the words 'may' 'can' 'we don't know' feature heavily. Sky news carried a report a couple of weeks matching what you are claiming and the words I mentioned featured heavily. The report was from Italy.
    The serious issues refer to a small percentage vof hospitalised patients and again as it's a new virus there is no long term studies available. So why post that nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I would think that there is a increase in the mental health issues in the survivors who didn't catch covid 19 also

Any study I have read the words 'may' 'can' 'we don't know' feature heavily. Sky news carried a report a couple of weeks matching what you are claiming and the words I mentioned featured heavily. The report was from Italy.
    The serious issues refer to a small percentage vof hospitalised patients and again as it's a new virus there is no long term studies available. So why post that nonsense?

because its not nonsense, some survivors are showing signs of serious mental distress and serious physical issues post covid

I would think that there is a increase in the mental health issues in the survivors who didn't catch covid 19 also

absolutely, im expecting our mental health services to be overwhelmed soon, apparently this is already starting to happen

because its not nonsense, some survivors are showing signs of serious mental distress and serious physical issues post covid

Post traumatic stress , it's a thing. As I said though there are no long term studies to base your repeated claims.
    Some people are ( a very small number) finding recovery prolonged.

• Advertisement

its not an overreaction, even interviews from irish survivors should be enough to confirm this, many relatively young

So we look at interviews and examine the emotional state of survivors to determine our course of action. Or we use our brains and look at the numbers that represent facts.
    Go look at Norways approach to this since Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yeah, so when someone shows up with a certificate from "OrangeMan Medical Inc" saying negative, they're welcome (if they self-isolate, which they won't). It's not like anyone is going to show up to the airport with proof that they've tested positive.

So I don't really see this changing much, maybe a few people who tested positive will stay home instead.
    There is a simplistic assumption at present that they are all tourists. There are suggestions that a good proportion are Irish people coming back. Personally find the backlash against whole thing somewhat headless. Getting the checks done on where people are and some form of testing is the least we can do right. Getting the message out in countries of origin , of not travelling now, is another very straightforward option.

absolutely, im expecting our mental health services to be overwhelmed soon, apparently this is already starting to happen

I would agree with this to a degree, there are many who bear some responsibility for the mental health issues that will arise. It's easy to instill fear and panic quite another thing to undue the damage this creates.

Post traumatic stress , it's a thing. As I said though there are no long term studies to base your repeated claims.
    Some people are ( a very small number) finding recovery prolonged.

it is indeed, i suffer from ptsd myself, but anyway, some are showing signs of psychosis and elevated levels of anxiety. yup, theres no true long term studies done yet because we re still in the early stages of this, it ll be christmas or maybe even next year until the dust settles before we can get more definite data and information. do you have data to support you own claims of ' a very small number'? thanks

I would agree with this to a degree, there are many who bear some responsibility for the mental health issues that will arise. It's easy to instill fear and panic quite another thing to undue the damage this creates.

you lost me here?

So we look at interviews and examine the emotional state of survivors to determine our course of action. Or we use our brains and look at the numbers that represent facts.
    Go look at Norways approach to this since Feb.

please be aware, i interact with the mental health services, so im hearing small bits from those professionals, my own therapist has been inundated with contact, particularly from the hse

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is largely media driven and what researcher doesn't welcome a spotlight, with the potential added bonus of future funding. What also spurs it is people's need to hear more about it and to make sense of it. Even at this stage many have not yet grasped the fact that a lot of studies or reports just produce guesses.

. do you have data to support you own claims of ' a very small number'? thanks

Anecdotal I know but I have only seen two 'young people ' regularly referenced by Irish media to show how devastating the virus is two everyone. One is a female GAA player ( her profession was rarely mentioned strange that) the other was a lad . 25k infected surely we would have heard the vast multitude of sufferers of these conditions you mentioned if they existed in large numbers. Sorry but just stating the obvious. It's a terrible virus but for the majority it is not serious.

it is indeed, i suffer from ptsd myself, but anyway, some are showing signs of psychosis and elevated levels of anxiety. yup, theres no true long term studies done yet because we re still in the early stages of this, it ll be christmas or maybe even next year until the dust settles before we can get more definite data and information. do you have data to support you own claims of ' a very small number'? thanks

The government never gave a **** about the suicides linked to the past financial crisis.This won't be any different.
    Still odd the ratio of clusters in building sites compared to retail food outlets.
    If we take into acoount the inept abilities of the hse how on earth can we belive their data on this virus.
    To calculate an R number based of recent testing of a limited number of people. OK that sounds accurate and believable

• Advertisement

you lost me here?

Did I? Do you think the constant hysteria and fear in the media may have affected people that were already dealing with mental health issues in a negative manner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement