Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    you best get into lock down mood then! Maybe get onto twitter and abuse the politicians?

You feeling alright in the head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I've not seen anyone do that. If you tell me your seeing most people do that I won't believe you. Are you sanstizing your hands before you put it on and take it off as I'm seeing no one doing that either.

I haven't seen anyone do that. That's the way I do things. I also sanitise my hands before and after mask wearing. I only really wear a mask once a week, maybe even twice the most. I'm naturally keeping my distance away from others and avoiding places. I haven't been to the city since last January and I remain local, so I don't really need to wear much masks. I do a lot of my shopping online.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I've not seen anyone do that. If you tell me your seeing most people do that I won't believe you. Are you sanstizing your hands before you put it on and take it off as I'm seeing no one doing that either.

I think this should be part of school education. We will need this commonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Gael23 wrote: »
    Bring on the run on toilet paper!!!

Lot of runs on toilet paper

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

174 cases?!?!
    This is the second wave. No more "ah no there is no second wave lads" bs.

It's on now.

Thats just not the case. There are traced outbreaks resulting in clusters that are being damped down by the restrictions we have seen. 110 of 174 are in Kildare and were anticipated due to intensive testing of the workplaces and accommodation connected to recent days cases.

A 'wave' is an unchecked situation of unmanaged community transmission, like we see in other Countries of late. Yes, 174 sounds scary compared to 20, but in April, in the first wave proper we were seeing over a thousand cases a day all over the island.

People need to calm down and look at the reality and keep trucking with their own personal and family measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

You feeling alright in the head?

Yes all good.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats just not the case. There are traced outbreaks resulting in clusters that are being damped down by the restrictions we have seen. 110 of 174 are in Kildare and were anticipated due to intensive testing of the workplaces and accommodation connected to recent days cases.

A 'wave' is an unchecked situation of unmanaged community transmission, like we see in other Countries of late. Yes, 174 sounds scary compared to 20, but in April, in the first wave proper we were seeing over a thousand cases a day all over the island.

People need to calm down and look at the reality and keep trucking with their own personal and family measures.

Exactly, thank you for common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

majcos wrote: »
    Just have to put up one photo in defence of all the Laois-bashing.

Sadly there won’t be a similar photo-op for 2020.

Looks like the Richard Ashcroft set from Sunday last year. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,880 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Larbre34 wrote: »

That's why the number of cases in Kildare and how much it is contributing to the high number is important to understand. The hope is that in two weeks time the counties under restrictions will have dampened the virus and provided the rest of us not in those counties continue to do the things needed then this may pass. The community spread is low and that's the thing that would be worrying if that started going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I do . I have hand sanitizer in the car , I use when putting on my mask and talking it off.
    There needs to be an educational video about mask use on the teli often and on every channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

petes wrote: »
    You mentioned fosil fuels yesterday in a reply, what about fossil fuels and covid?

Do the words hug, and trees give you a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Jeez what kind of Butcher's have you there? Sounds absurd to have to order a cut of meat. At least six butcher's in our nearest town and the quality is excellent and it's far from expensive. Anywhere that requires preordering isn't a real butcher's.

There's precisely one butcher for definite and possibly a second one within a 1 mile radius of where I live in Dublin and the first one survives by doing a specialty service .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ficheall wrote: »
    There are plenty of people in this forum who think masks don't help - communication can only get you so far if people have no common sense and refuse to listen.

Its an open question. Some scientists believe they are ineffective, and some believe they trap viral load in front of the wearer's face where it accumulates.

Scientific hypotheses (e.g. the efficacy of masks) can be wrong for reasons which are counterintuitive therefore its not a question of common sense.

The simplicity of direct cause-and-effect relationships are logical and satisfying for the average person to grasp, which is why they get annoyed when told these measures need to be scrutinised via a scientific investigation.

They've already understood it on a basic level, accepted it and now (frustratingly) its being called into question.But don't you want to know whether something is proven to work before you 'communicate' its usefulness to the whole country??! Because you should

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

growleaves wrote: »
    Its an open question. Some scientists believe they are ineffective, and some believe they trap viral load in front of the wearer's face where it accumulates.

Guess where will viral load accumulate if the wearer has no mask? :pac:

Scientific hypotheses (e.g. the efficacy of masks) can be wrong for reasons which are counterintuitive therefore its not a question of common sense.

The simplicity of direct cause-and-effect relationships are logical and satisfying for the average person to grasp, which is why they get annoyed when told these measures need to be scrutinised via a scientific investigation.

They've already understood it on a basic level, accepted it and now (frustratingly) its being called into question.But don't you want to know whether something is proven to work before you 'communicate' its usefulness to the whole country??! Because you should

Its not an open question. The effectiveness is open yes, whether they are better than not wearing one isnt open so just stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I do . I have hand sanitizer in the car , I use when putting on my mask and talking it off.
    There needs to be an educational video about mask use on the teli often and on every channel

I've it in the car using it constantly since February, don't touch the sanatizer on the way into what little shops still have it.
    Don't wear a mask, I don't waste time in a shop just grab and go.
    Always use sanatizer before driving off again as I know the person behind the plexiglass glass isn't sanstizing after every customer especially the ones who touched the front of their masks.
    We had to have an educational advert on the proper use of tampons, I've no faith that most people know or care what to do it's a box ticking exercise from what I'm seeing and all other boxes are left unticked.

I've it in the car using it constantly since February, don't touch the sanatizer on the way into what little shops still have it.
    Always use sanatizer before driving off again as I know the person behind the plexiglass glass isn't sanstizing after every customer especially the ones who touched the front of their masks.
    We had to have an educational advert on the proper use of tampons, I've no faith that most people know or care what to do it's a box ticking exercise from what I'm seeing and all other boxes are left unticked.

No mask? So you break government rules? I think you are right though, one of the things with Covid is that if you just "grab and go" it doesnt spread. Keep up the good work. Worrying about tampons is the least of your concerns pal.

Renjit wrote: »
    Guess where will viral load accumulate if the wearer has no mask? :pac:

Just about where they keep their chin strap, there's so many variables. Like height for one, all those pro mask meme assume everyone is the same height.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

We should have a scientific investigation to find out if water is wet as well, can't be sure you know. Or is the moon made out of cheese? It might be. Go look at Hong Kong and what they've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I do the same with hand sanitizer. I am refusing to use the public hand sanitizing stations. I prefer having my own hand sanitizer and using my own. I don't trust the public stuff because of too many hands using it and I don't know what's in the public stuff, if its the real stuff with alcohol.

I like the hand sanitizers in my local hotel and eating establishment because they have sensors on their hand sanitizers and you don't need to press anything.

• Advertisement

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    No mask? So you break government rules? I think you are right though, one of the things with Covid is that if you just "grab and go" it doesnt spread. Keep up the good work. Worrying about tampons is the least of your concerns pal.

I follow all but one guideline, the one I don't follow I use common sense instead, like not putting myself in an enclosed space for more than a few minutes. I zoom past the maskers as there sauntering around the shops blissfully unaware of the situation with their magic mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I don’t wear a mask, I shove a tampon up each nostril, right up to the grip.......you gotta get them up there girls and boys.

I follow all but one guideline, the one I don't follow I use common sense instead, like not putting myself in an enclosed space for more than a few minutes. I zoom past the maskers as there sauntering around the shops blissfully unaware of the situation with their magic mask.

Ok, thanks for confirming you dont follow the guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Just watching the 9pm news. Apparently the meat processing plants that are the sources of the current outbreaks are still open and operating.
    I would expect the HSA ( Health and Safety Authority) has the legal power to force temporary closures to protect health of all employees in those plants. That would give time for deep cleaning and repeat testing of all employees.

coastwatch wrote: »
    Just watching the 9pm news. Apparently the meat processing plants that are the sources of the current oubreaks are still open and operating.
    I would expect the HSA ( Health and Safety Authority) has the legal power to force temporary closures to protect health of all employees in those plants. That would give time for deep cleaning and repeat testing of all employees.

ah jesus....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Just watching the 9pm news. Apparently the meat processing plants that are the sources of the current oubreaks are still open and operating.

What are the HSA doing if they haven't been shut down already?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The next time that happens in the same manner as last night it will be a national lockdown.

It seems by reading your posts you will not be satisfied until we have a national lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sideswipe wrote: »
    I don’t wear a mask, I shove a tampon up each nostril, right up to the grip.......you gotta get them up there girls and boys.

54cb3d65ed545fa6b31160ba61497bfb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Ha ha. Go after the big guys. Not a chance. They'll do something for show but it'll be mere lip service to placate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the biggest problem with mask wearing is the huge reduction in social distancing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement