Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

Does anyone else ever drive to the shop and when they get their realize they don't have a mask in the car? I assume on Monday I will have no choice but to drive back home? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

xvril wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever drive to the shop and when they get their realize they don't have a mask in the car? I assume on Monday I will have no choice but to drive back home? haha

Can't see why you would be laughing if that happened, but yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

GazzaL wrote: »
    Retail staff aren't required to wear them if they socially distance, or if they're behind a screen. I've seen loads of retail staff not wearing masks. They didn't wear them during the peak of the pandemic and there weren't huge clusters in supermarkets even when people were ****ting themselves panic buying bog roll.

Not all retail staff are safely tucked away behind a Perspex screen all the time. There’s tidying to be done, shelves to be stocked up etc. - and these things have to be done. Some shops may have people coming in after hours to do this, but a lot of businesses don’t. They have to mind themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes, just imagine. Someone being expected to act with care and responsibilities towards themselves and others...during a deadly pandemic.

Builder finishes work... builder washes and sanitizes hands.

Builder leaves van to use petrol pump ? He puts on a mask and disposable gloves.

I’ve several masks both washable/reusable x 8 as well as disposable, two or three boxes of medical grade gloves (dermagrip) which are FDA approved..

I’m not a medical person but I could still source and acquire. So fûck these excuses for people..

Builder works on site without water. Sanitises hands but touches a dirty surface, e.g. steering wheel, phone, dashboard. Touches diesel pump with hands as there are never any disposable gloves. Touches mask with dirty hands which has been lying in dirty van. Inadvertently touches face. Contracts some form of viral or bacterial infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

You can't deny the fact that retail settings are very low risk zones as shops were open throughout the peak of the pandemic and they weren't virus hotspots. Nothing has changed in this regard. I'm concerned about people infecting themselves, not just with COVID but other illnesses too, through the incorrect usage of PPE.

I hope you are right, at the ‘peak of the pandemic’ as you say We were in shops feeling vulnerable and bring home shopping to wipe down with anti bac wipes- but back then the virus was quite confined to nursing homes, hospitals and those types of settings- I just hope the lower age Profile of new cases doesn’t mean that it’s only now we are becoming vulnerable in community settings like shops!!!

• Advertisement

twirlagig wrote: »
    Not all retail staff are safely tucked away behind a Perspex screen all the time. There’s tidying to be done, shelves to be stocked up etc. - and these things have to be done. Some shops may have people coming in after hours to do this, but a lot of businesses don’t. They have to mind themselves too.

Retail staff stocked shelves without masks during normal opening hours throughout the peak of the pandemic. We didn't hear of any huge clusters in supermarkets despite this.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Builder works on site without water. Sanitises hands but touches a dirty surface, e.g. steering wheel, phone, dashboard. Touches diesel pump with hands as there are never any disposable gloves. Touches mask with dirty hands which has been lying in dirty van. Inadvertently touches face. Contracts some form of viral or bacterial infection.

Bacterial infection ??? get a grip its a virus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

xvril wrote: »

I stick a few in the car just in case. Like kids dummies that serve no real purpose you always keep a few to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This whole fantasy is irrelevant. You do know people often touch their face when they don't wear masks don't you?

Wearing a mask is highly unlikely to increase the risk. This has been explained about a hundred times.

You keep making up scenarios with not one real life example or evidence of increased risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not convinced about the benefits of masks, and I suspect they may cause nearly as many problems as they solve.

But you know what, I'm also not a public health doctor who has spent all their life studying public health, and can make decisions based on years of in-depth knowledge and experience.

So when public health tell me to wear a mask, I wear a mask. And anyone who doesn't is a fool.

• Advertisement

benneca1 wrote: »
    Bacterial infection ??? get a grip its a virus

Learn to read. I said viral or bacterial infection. There are other infections out there besides COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

gabeeg wrote: »
    Yeah, restaurants are subject to the 105 minute rule too.

Lot of misunderstanding about this, including among restaurants themselves. The 105 minute "rule" only applies where tables are less than two metres apart. More than two metres? You're free to stay all night. And to be pedantic, it's not a "rule" - there is no legislative foundation for it, and I can't see any outlet being specifically prosecuted for going over 105 minutes (but that's not to say a more general reason would not be used). Rather, it forms part of a series of guidelines published by Failte Ireland with input from the HSA (and I'm sure the vintners etc as well). A particularly brave operation could put in place alternative control measures and breach the "rule" if they felt their measures were 'better' and were prepared to stand behind that......but it's just easier to go with the crowd really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

coastwatch wrote: »
    Thats what I would have expected, but it seems the HSA dont have responsibility / authority because the workplace risk is a disease.
    From the HSA website,

3. Do I need to notify the Health and Safety Authority if an employee contracts COVID 19?

No. There is no requirement for an Employer to notify the Authority if an employee contracts COVID-19. Diseases are not reportable under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Reporting of Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences) Regulations 2016 (S.I. No. 370 of 2016).

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19/covid-19_advice_for_employers_and_employees/covid_19_%E2%80%93_advice_for_employers_and_employees.html#3

The HSA had warning back in May about employees not feeling safe. They should have done something back then.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about the benefits of masks, and I suspect they may cause nearly as many problems as they solve.

But you know what, I'm also not a public health doctor who has spent all their life studying public health, and can make decisions based on years of in-depth knowledge and experience.

So when public health tell me to wear a mask, I wear a mask. And anyone who doesn't is a fool.

They told us not to wear masks a few weeks ago. Given that we got through the peak of the pandemic without face masks, we all managed to safely buy our groceries and so on, I think it's fair to question a blanket requirement for mask wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Retail staff stocked shelves without masks during normal opening hours throughout the peak of the pandemic. We didn't hear of any huge clusters in supermarkets despite this.

And masks weren’t recommended then, they are now.
    That’s only my opinion GazzaL, I am dreading the weeks ahead as much as anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Speaking from experience, there was definitely a culture of of don't say it too loudly or tell too many people about it if there were any cases in supermarkets.

Trust me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If builder knows he will be on a site without running water he brings a couple of large two liters bottles. One for drinking, one for using to clean. Not rocket science, we are not exactly asking people to reinvent the wheel. Also has gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

The WHO have said the same as yourself, but try telling that to the pro-mask lunatics on here...

We've been wearing masks all day at work since mid March. Masks have yet to cause 1 illness. This anti mask garbage you and others are spouting is absolute nonsense at best and negligent at worst. People can wear them and even with some fidgeting and pulling at the masks, the masks have yet to make 1 person sick. They are useful PPE in the battle against COVID.

They told us not to wear masks a few weeks ago. Given that we got through the peak of the pandemic without face masks, we all managed to safely buy our groceries and so on, I think it's fair to question a blanket requirement for mask wearing.
    A few weeks ago we had little reliable scientific studies on mask wearing and the impact on Covid. There was also a significant concern that people would reduce PPE stocks which were in short supply. Things change, and will change again.

almostover wrote: »
    We've been wearing masks all day at work since mid March. Masks have yet to cause 1 illness. This anti mask garbage you and others are spouting is absolute nonsense at best and negligent at worst. People can wear them and even with some fidgeting and pulling at the masks, the masks have yet to make 1 person sick. They are useful PPE in the battle against COVID.

So the WHO guidelines are complete bull**** and there's no issue with the incorrect usage of face masks? Okay.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Remember weeks ago there was a worldwide PPE shortage? That's why masks weren't recommended. It was to preserve stocks for frontline workers. Just wear a F**king mask! It's not that hard to do and it helps to fight the pandemic

almostover wrote: »
    Remember weeks ago there was a worldwide PPE shortage? That's why masks weren't recommended. It was to.preserve stocks for frontline workers. Just wear a F**king mask! It's not that hard to do and it helps to fight the pandemic

Case numbers dropped from peak levels to **** all despite nobody wearing masks when they went to Tesco to do the weekly shop.

If you want to fight the pandemic, focus on the problem areas like nursing homes in the first instance, and meat processors in the second instance. Just use your head.

Arghus wrote: »
    Speaking from experience, there was definitely a culture of of don't say it too loudly or tell too many people about it if there were any cases in supermarkets.

Trust me on this.
    I don't doubt you. There are a number of workers who have unexpectedly became front-line workers without which we cannot keep society functioning, and supermarket workers are one. It would help no-one if there was any concern of risk of interruption to food supplies or access to supermarkets, so it was in everyone's interest to keep mention of cases quiet.

There's been a lot of talk about health-care workers, but supermarket staff deserve a bonus as much as many health workers.

So the WHO guidelines are complete bull**** and there's no issue with the incorrect usage of face masks? Okay.... :rolleyes:

Any misuse of masks is greatly outweighed by the protection that they afford others. Most can use masks correctly that that's a bigger benefit than the negative caused by those who misuse them. What's so hard about wearing a mask? I've done so for 8 hours a day everytime I've been in work since March. It's not that tough. BTW I have asthma and I've had zero issues with masks, I'm sure COVID would cause me breathing issues though.....

Case numbers dropped from peak levels to **** all despite nobody wearing masks when they went to Tesco to do the weekly shop.

If you want to fight the pandemic, focus on the problem areas like nursing homes in the first instance, and meat processors in the second instance. Just use your head.

Why can't we do both? Wear masks and focus on the problem areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Hard to believe so many still struggle with the difference between community transmission cases v cluster outbreaks cases or close contacts cases from those clusters.

hard to believe some people don't know clusters lead to community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Cases dropped to low levels mainly due to the lockdown. As we want to open up businesses and the economy, we need to live with the virus, masks can reduce spread and help keep cases low. It's one of many measures we can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If the only areas of society at which we need to beat the pandemic we’re nursing homes and meat plants we’d have had this beaten months ago...

The pandemic is in our communities. Masks should be worn if out and about.. everywhere in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Cases dropped during lockdown. The phased opening has seen the surge already as the influx of people increases and more avenues open.

Those are the ones which are in limelight now. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

froog wrote: »
    hard to believe some people don't know clusters lead to community transmission.

They can, but they don't have to.
    The nursing homes clusters didn't cause widespread community transmission as they were locked down and isolated.
    The Sligo travel related cluster was another which had the potential to cause a big spread of community transmission but appears it was isolated to about a dozen cases.

It's a vicious circle, community transmission causes clusters, clusters cause community transmission. The latter can be more easily prevented.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement