Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,321 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Continuity of food supply is essential. The psychology of hoarding behaviour would see some people who may see shortages in some of those regular weekly shop, replace these items with alternatives and likely over buy, creating shortages elsewhere. This would quickly become a vicious circle, with hoarding behaviour becoming widespread as even the level headed see a risk that there may be shortages. In this scenario low income individuals and households without the disposable income to stock up in advance would face outright food shortages. That’s why food production is not treated the same as any other business

this is complete nonsense, we re irish, our need for the supply of alcohol far exceeds the need of food, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this is complete nonsense, we re irish, our need for the supply of alcohol far exceeds the need of food, ffs!

I need something to wash all my ham down with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

The HSE, HIQA or the Department of Health should be driving inspection. The HSA is about safety at work and avoiding industrial accidents. It’s a bit unfair to assume they’re geared up to do this tbh

This is an area that should be dealt with and driven by public health doctors and nurses.

Finally, American tourists getting banned from entry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Where are you seeing this?

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I need something to wash all my ham down with.

alcohol consumption up 18%, apparently!

started a few weeks ago, hotels stopped taking bookings from americans

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this?

Heading in this mornings indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

coastwatch wrote: »
    Risk from disease is not within their remit.
    From the HSA website,

3. Do I need to notify the Health and Safety Authority if an employee contracts COVID 19?

No. There is no requirement for an Employer to notify the Authority if an employee contracts COVID-19. Diseases are not reportable under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Reporting of Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences) Regulations 2016 (S.I. No. 370 of 2016).

[URL="https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19/covid-19_advice_for_employers_and_employees/covid_19_–_advice_for
    _employers_and_employees.html#3"]https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19/covid-19_advice_for_employers_and_employees/covid_19_–_advice_for
    _employers_and_employees.html#3[/URL]

What is reportable under the health, safety and welfare at work (reporting of accidents and dangerous occurances) regulations 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wolf359f wrote: »
    There's just so many people on here with 20/20 hindsight is all.
    This isn't the first rodeo with meat plan clusters though. The previous one's didn't really register as much as these have, as we had so many cases during out peak it wasn't noticed by the public and it's our first regional lockdown. So I would expect a very thorough look at why it happened.

It could be a serious of benign reasons that just manifested so fast, nobody could react quick enough and the fact it's 4 substantial outbreaks in the same time frame in the same providence that really made an impact.

Matt Carthy: "Siptu have indicated that if there is a second wave then it'll emerge from a meat plant"

Sorry for being a bit rude but seriously.
    benign my hole.
    nobody could react quick enough? my hole.
    Pure greed caused it.

https://twitter.com/mattcarthy/status/1291693959228661760?s=20

Matt Carthy: "Siptu have indicated that if there is a second wave then it'll emerge from a meat plant"

Sorry for being a bit rude but seriously.
    benign my hole.
    nobody could react quick enough? my hole.
    Pure greed caused it.

an element of it could be seen as greed, but our food production systems are critical, as can be seen, meat plant issues are common across the world at the moment, i.e. its not just greed, or an uniquely irish problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

How convenient with the summer season just over. Shouid have happened months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

coastwatch wrote: »
    Risk from disease is not within their remit.
    From the HSA website,

3. Do I need to notify the Health and Safety Authority if an employee contracts COVID 19?

No. There is no requirement for an Employer to notify the Authority if an employee contracts COVID-19. Diseases are not reportable under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Reporting of Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences) Regulations 2016 (S.I. No. 370 of 2016).

[URL="https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19/covid-19_advice_for_employers_and_employees/covid_19_–_advice_for
    _employers_and_employees.html#3"]https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19/covid-19_advice_for_employers_and_employees/covid_19_–_advice_for
    _employers_and_employees.html#3[/URL]

I'm not sure it's as straightforward as that. Accidents are definitely within their remit but not all accidents should be reported. So just because single incidents of positive tests related to a workplace are not reportable does not mean one could not complain about unsafe practices.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0519/1139400-hsa-covid-committee/

This indicates that they received reports regarding unsafe conditions arising from poor covid 19 precautions and were preparing to inspect more workplaces. They are also generally responsible for overseeing laws that demand employers to safeguard employee's health and safety.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't understand how the government can see the pubs as a threat to the spread of the virus and issue closure orders and here we have meat plants that has shown to be a risk and danger zone for the spread of virus and they can't issue closure orders on them. What am I missing here? How can the government zone in on one area of work and keep them closed and ignore another threat and risk?

I know some some would argue - food is essential, drinking is not

To some degree yes, I agree but it's a fcuk load of nonsense. Surely we can manage for some weeks without some meats?

Once again booze isn't essential, food is.

an element of it could be seen as greed, but our food production systems are critical, as can be seen, meat plant issues are common across the world at the moment, i.e. its not just greed, or an uniquely irish problem

Did you watch the video?

Did they engage with unions about the concerns to workers.

Food is critical I agree. These companies are a law unto themselves.

They must have paid dearly for the influence they usually hold.

Now they are in a situation where public health measures are impacting their profits.

They clearly prioritised profits and their "influence" allowed them to get away with flouting the regulations until it didn't.

Now LOK are locked down and we are sitting here hoping it didn't spread further afield.

Fvcking joke

again, this is ireland, consumption is up 18%, the market has spoken, demand is there, government, get out of the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I went to the supermarket this morning, most of the mask wearers walked straight past the hand sanitiser. I duly sanitised my hands and didn't come within an ass's roar of other shoppers while picking up some milk and fresh fruit. People have forgotten the basics and think the masks are an excuse not be be hygienic.

Did you watch the video?

Did they engage with unions about the concerns to workers.

Food is critical I agree. These companies are a law unto themselves.

They must have paid dearly for the influence they usually hold.

Now they are in a situation where public health measures are impacting their profits.

They clearly prioritised profits and their "influence" allowed them to get away with flouting the regulations until it didn't.

Now LOK are locked down and we are sitting here hoping it didn't spread further afield.

Fvcking joke

oh i do agree that this industry does seem to be well dodgy for many reasons, but its not uniquely an irish issue

How convenient with the summer season just over. Shouid have happened months ago.

Biggest load of bollox ever in this country.

And that's saying something,

I'm sure all of those carrolls shops did a roaring trade in fridge magnets.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1291775955510280192?s=20

GazzaL wrote: »
    I went to the supermarket this morning, most of the mask wearers walked straight past the hand sanitiser. I duly sanitised my hands and didn't come within an ass's roar of other shoppers while picking up some milk and fresh fruit. People have forgotten the basics and think the masks are an excuse not be be hygienic.

keep bloody forgetting to do my hands myself

oh i do agree that this industry does seem to be well dodgy for many reasons, but its not uniquely an irish issue

I would think the supermarkets have a lot to answer for to.

I don't absolve my responsibility either. I love nice meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Im wondering how Meat plants can pay workers so they pay their tax in country of origin and so were not entitled to the COVID19 payment here.

How can that be legal? Its the reason workers went to work sick, they had no alternative.
    How can they live and work here and not be registered here as Irish tax payers?
    That's a scandal. And complete abuse of the workers.
    Larry Goodman wins again.

And I only saw one line in the examiner that the meat plants were 'told to stop this practise'..

Even now, with the spotlight on them, nothing being done.
    How much power have they over our politicians? Its pretty shocking.

I would think the supermarkets have a lot to answer for to.

I don't resolve my responsibility either. I love nice meat.

yup, definitely an element in this fcuk up, the supermarkets place an astonishing level of pressure back onto the supply chains

love my meat to, i ll find it hard to give up, if we re forced to

Yes because there have been 10s of thousands of American tourists here every week.

I don't understand how the government can see the pubs as a threat to the spread of the virus and issue closure orders and here we have meat plants that has shown to be a risk and danger zone for the spread of virus and they can't issue closure orders on them. What am I missing here? How can the government zone in on one area of work and keep them closed and ignore another threat and risk?

I know some some would argue - food is essential, drinking is not

To some degree yes, I agree but it's a fcuk load of nonsense. Surely we can manage for some weeks without some meats?

Yes because there have been 10s of thousands of American tourists here every week.

Exactly

we ve addressed this, the demand is there, let the market rip!

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Im wondering how Meat plants can pay workers so they pay their tax in country of origin and so were not entitled to the COVID19 payment here.

How can that be legal? Its the reason workers went to work sick, they had no alternative.

And I only saw one line in the examiner that the meat plants were 'told to stop this practise'..

Why are you shocked?

This is how Ireland operates. Look at Simon Covenys connections for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

SeaBreezes wrote: »

It's probably a reason the Americans are now being 'banned' from coming on holidays here. Take the limelight of the problem of meat plants and abuse of working laws on pay etc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

GazzaL wrote: »

Please provide a peer reviewed study showing that an “ass’s roar”* is more than 2 metres.

*TBH, I always thought it was an arse’s roar

• Advertisement

It's probably a reason the Americans are now being 'banned' from coming on holidays here. Take the limelight of the problem of meat plants and abuse of working laws on pay etc

This. The "look look over there" approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement