Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anecdotal I know but I have only seen two 'young people ' regularly referenced by Irish media to show how devastating the virus is two everyone. One is a female GAA player ( her profession was rarely mentioned strange that) the other was a lad . 25k infected surely we would have heard the vast multitude of sufferers of these conditions you mentioned if they existed in large numbers. Sorry but just stating the obvious. It's a terrible virus but for the majority it is not serious.

i wouldnt down play this, because we simply dont know many facts about it at all, it could be years before we truly understand the fall out, id always recommend people to take every precaution to not get it. i will agree though, the media business is largely based on sensationalism, so i try find other sources, can be hard though, theres virtually no facts at the moment

Did I? Do you think the constant hysteria and fear in the media may have affected people that were already dealing with mental health issues in a negative manner?

oh absolutely, you can even see it on boards, i know people that have just shut off the media because of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    please be aware, i interact with the mental health services, so im hearing small bits from those professionals, my own therapist has been inundated with contact, particularly from the hse

When you stop a country dead in its tracks this is to be expected. With no end in sight its going to get alot worst. The remedy will be ten times worse than the disease

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

please be aware, i interact with the mental health services, so im hearing small bits from those professionals, my own therapist has been inundated with contact, particularly from the hse
    I'm not surprised, one can see snippets of it here and in the wider world throughout this. It has affected us all one way or another and while none of us had the coping skills initially, some may have had some level of transferrible ability to face tough circumstances. I believe there are a lot of people who don't have that ability at all.

Onesea wrote: »
    The government never gave a **** about the suicides linked to the past financial crisis.This won't be any different.
    Still odd the ratio of clusters in building sites compared to retail food outlets.
    If we take into acoount the inept abilities of the hse how on earth can we belive their data on this virus.
    To calculate an R number based of recent testing of a limited number of people. OK that sounds accurate and believable

thats a very good point, our health system is physical health prioritized, mental health is rarely thought of, if at all, and its showing now. id say multiples of billions are needed for mental services immediately, obviously this isnt gonna happen, so on we go, im sure things will change....

i can kinna understand why the difference between construction and retail, health standards would generally be higher in retail compared to construction, due to the nature of both businesses.

there will of course be errors in all data sets at the moment, from all countries, due to limitations

• Advertisement

When you stop a country dead in its tracks this is to be expected. With no end in sight its going to get alot worst. The remedy will be ten times worse than the disease

personally i believe its actually showing how vulnerable our economic and health care systems have become, we should be doing some deep soul searching from this regarding these issues, but ive very low expectations of much changing, as was said in relation to the previous crash. pandemics are naturally occurring, and this was predicted to happen, so we decided to make both our economic and heath care systems so efficient, we had to shut down our economies to deal with the virus, some deep thinking required!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Down to 10 in hospital and 5 in ICU. Those are extremely low figures four weeks into Phase III

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Anecdotal I know but I have only seen two 'young people ' regularly referenced by Irish media to show how devastating the virus is two everyone. One is a female GAA player ( her profession was rarely mentioned strange that) the other was a lad . 25k infected surely we would have heard the vast multitude of sufferers of these conditions you mentioned if they existed in large numbers. Sorry but just stating the obvious. It's a terrible virus but for the majority it is not serious.

Tbf, there seem to be a lot of people dealing with post-viral conditions following confirmed Covid or a Covid like infection. There are no real numbers on it yet. Especially as at the height of infections in Ireland the vast majority of young and young-ish people with a mild case and no underlying conditions couldn't get a test. It's nearly 4 and a half months since I started having symptoms and I'm not completely recovered yet. I'm early 40s, was athletically fit up to mid-March and the virus and the post-viral conditions it triggered laid me low for about 15 weeks. I'm carefully getting back to normal now and I suspect that in a month or two I'll be symptom free but having breathing issues for over 3 months was truly shîtty.

I consider myself lucky to not have had any symptoms of post-viral fatigue because that can go on for a year or more in many cases. I also feel relieved that I was laid low during lockdown so I wasn't missing out on my normal life. Some viruses just tend to trigger post-viral conditions more than others. Epstein Barr commonly causes post-viral issues, especially in adults. There is some emerging evidence that Covid seems to reactivate Epstein Barr in some patients. Which could explain the post-viral fatigue, as maybe it's being triggered by the EB.

iguana wrote: »
    Tbf, there seem to be a lot of people dealing with post-viral conditions following confirmed Covid or a Covid like infection. There are no real numbers on it yet. Especially as at the height of infections in Ireland the vast majority of young and young-ish people with a mild case and no underlying conditions couldn't get a test. It's nearly 4 and a half months since I started having symptoms and I'm not completely recovered yet. I'm early 40s, was athletically fit up to mid-March and the virus and the post-viral conditions it triggered laid me low for about 15 weeks. I'm carefully getting back to normal now and I suspect that in a month or two I'll be symptom free but having breathing issues for over 3 months was truly shîtty.

I consider myself lucky to not have had any symptoms of post-viral fatigue because that can go on for a year or more in many cases. I also feel relieved that I was laid low during lockdown so I wasn't missing out on my normal life. Some viruses just tend to trigger post-viral conditions more than others. Epstein Barr commonly causes post-viral issues, especially in adults. There is some emerging evidence that Covid seems to reactivate Epstein Barr in some patients. Which could explain the post-viral fatigue, as maybe it's being triggered by the EB.

i suffer with fatigue myself, its a dreadful thing, everything stops, i wish you the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A WHOLE Spanish city has been sealed off after 55 people tested positive for the coronavirus following a visit to a bar as the country’s infection rate tripled.

Epic Session!

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Epic Session!

serious hangover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Were any of two people one of your two wives?
    i.e the one that was working throughout this or the one who was sitting at home getting the covid payment?

I don't think that was clarified so I'd have to ignore anything you say until that is dealth with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

No mention of this good news on RTÉ or the journal
    https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1286896874436403200?s=21

Edit; journal just put it up

i.e the one that was working throughout this or the one who was sitting at home getting the covid payment?

I don't think that was clarified so I'd have to ignore anything you say until that is dealth with.

Each username has a mapped out life attached to it. Don't know how you have time to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

I think somebody is about to disappear from the thread for a couple of weeks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Quite a few people coming forward with different post viral problems. One doctor into extreme sports got it back in April was saying he gets serious fatigue to the point where he can barely string 2 words together. Another woman he knows, a boxer can hardly climb the stairs without becoming out of breath. The Yorkshire fatigue Clinic and others have noted that some people are developing ME/CFS after getting Covid and it is know to develop in people who have had infections like the previous swineful etc .
    Chronic Fatigue, ME is no laughing matter, it can leave you so exhausted you can't function and this is going to put even more pressure on an over stretched system. ME/CFS can last a lifetime.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-keys-understanding-post-covid-syndrome/

How was there not more clusters in food retail outlets? Customers mixing in closed spaces with worker v building site, no customers and probebly an outside setting.
    Since there is so little cases I think they are doing their darn best to keep the c19 drama train running at full steam.

Time. Close to 90% of infections do occur after 15 minutes at less than 2 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

spookwoman wrote: »
    Quite a few people coming forward with different post viral problems. One doctor into extreme sports got it back in April was saying he gets serious fatigue to the point where he can barely string 2 words together. Another woman he knows, a boxer can hardly climb the stairs without becoming out of breath. The Yorkshire fatigue Clinic and others have noted that some people are developing ME/CFS after getting Covid and it is know to develop in people who have had infections like the previous swineful etc .
    Chronic Fatigue, ME is no laughing matter, it can leave you so exhausted you can't function and this is going to put even more pressure on an over stretched system. ME/CFS can last a lifetime.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/21/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-keys-understanding-post-covid-syndrome/

I happened to see Richard Quest, Travel/Economic correspondent on CNN, about a week ago. He contracted the virus last March and is still suffering from extreme fatigue. Sometimes it is so bad, he has to stop everything and go lay down on the couch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Returned to my job in a Killarney hotel for the first time since lockdown this morning. Delighted to find out that they're currently not accepting American bookings! Apparently many other places in town are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sadly many people are not realising the dangers, they ll know about it if they end up in ICU, this is knocking the bejasus outta young people to
    pjohnson wrote: »
    It was clear from the start that it will need to start killing off some of the dumb fùcks in order for them to maybe realise that theres a virus. Unfortunately lack of intelligence isn't a underlying condition to kill off the dangerous idiots.

Ultimately, you can call them dumb if you wish but the statistical likelihood of somebody in their 20s:
    A) Catching it in Ireland
    &
    B) Getting seriously ill

Is absolutely miniscule. So its hardly shocking that people will get 'complacent'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I happened to see Richard Quest, Travel/Economic correspondent on CNN, about a week ago. He contracted the virus last March and is still suffering from extreme fatigue. Sometimes it is so bad, he has to stop everything and go lay down on the couch.

As I pointed out a few days ago we have a massive health emergency coming down the tracks in terms of the long term effects of this virus. It is turning perfectly fit people into being akin to a 40 a day smoker months after contracting Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Returned to my job in a Killarney hotel for the first time since lockdown this morning. Delighted to find out that they're currently not accepting American bookings! Apparently many other places in town are the same.

Sounds masochistic. Do you understand that next time you won't get 350 euro p.w. to the bank? It will be 200 from a post office and you have to sign at your local SW Office every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sounds masochistic. Do you understand that next time you won't get 350 euro p.w. to the bank? It will be 200 from a post office and you have to sign at your local SW Office every month.

The PUP has been extended until April.

But you do realize by the hotel not accepting bookings from people that come from the epicenter of world at this moment in time, they are trying to do their bit so the staff don't have to go back on the PUP.

Or is that too nuanced for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A WHOLE Spanish city has been sealed off after 55 people tested positive for the coronavirus following a visit to a bar as the country’s infection rate tripled.
    PARIS/MADRID (Reuters) - France advised its citizens on Friday not to travel to Catalonia in neighbouring Spain following a spike in cases of COVID-19 in the region.

The advice, announced by French Prime Minister Jean Castex, dealt another blow to Spain’s beleaguered tourism sector after Norway announced on Friday that travellers returning from the country would have to undergo a 10-day quarantine.

EOKQBYNYMVFENG72WMRPFYWE5Q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

yawhat? wrote: »
    I think somebody is about to disappear from the thread for a couple of weeks again :)

Nah dude, you thought wrong. ;-)

OK so the new fear method is the dreaded post viral fatigue.
    More sensational information.

At least judging from the posts on virgin media news videos people are indeed waking up to this nonsense. Life is for living.

At least judging from the posts on virgin media news videos people are indeed waking up to this nonsense. Life is for living.

fatigue is no joke, ive been told i sound like im drunk when its bad, theres virtually little or no communication capabilities when i become too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

When you are so tired you can't hold a proper conversation because you can't remember words or so tired you can't get out of the bed, even going to the loo is a major ordeal. Yep fatigue is sensational

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

From the dashboard, 30 more positive tests today out 8100 tests. Not bad. We mightn't see these in the case numbers for a couple of days, based on recent experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Why do you judge anything negative happening as fear mongering? The world isn't pretty. I'm a pessimist and thought Covid would be done by Christmas at worst. Now governments are saying masks may be needed for another year. People aren't just surviving or dying, they're getting struck down with various severe after effects of this virus. Before I was scared of myself or my loved ones catching it and ending up in hospital or dying, now I'm just plain unhappy as this virus sounds like one of the worst things you could get. Not to be a conspiracy nut, it almost sounds manufactured. I hope I'm wrong but it's increasingly feeling like as we get the economy and our social lives back on track, there is now a before Covid and an after Covid. We were on the floor as the music stopped and it will be a long time before we get back that treasured normal :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement