Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0808/1158099-covid-world-update/

It appears meat processing is an issue in many places. Not just us thick Irish as some here would have us believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Longing wrote: »
    Its the highest number for a Sunday since May 10.

Sun - Aug 9 - 68
    Sun - Aug 2 - 53
    Sun - Jul 26 - 12
    Sun - Jul 19 - 10
    Sun - Jul 12 - 17
    Sun - Jul 05 - 18
    Sun - Jun 28 -02
    Sun - Jun 21 -05
    Sun - Jun 14 -08
    Sun - Jun 07 -18
    Sun - May31 -61
    Sun - May24 -57
    Sun - May17 -64
    Sun - May10 -236

We will see high numbers this week unfortunately. But it is encouraging to see low hospital admissions.
    Statistically, Tuesdays & Mondays average the lowest case numbers a day and Thursday being the highest. Just in case some people assume as it's a weekend that's why the number may be artificially low.

But certainly cases should rise significantly, but I'm also hoping they peak quick and drop fast (obviously in the LOK areas) But the rest of the counties are slowly ticking up.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Statistically, Tuesdays & Mondays average the lowest case numbers a day and Thursday being the highest. Just in case some people assume as it's a weekend that's why the number may be artificially low.

But certainly cases should rise significantly, but I'm also hoping they peak quick and drop fast (obviously in the LOK areas) But the rest of the counties are slowly ticking up.

I’d be hopeful at least a portion of the cases around the country are also employees of the impacted plants or family /close contacts of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It appears meat processing is an issue in many places. Not just us thick Irish as some here would have us believe

We are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I’d be hopeful at least a portion of the cases around the country are also employees of the impacted plants or family /close contacts of those.

That's true. As they are big clusters and caused 3 counties to go into lockdown, I'd hope journalists will keep asking each press conference for total figures on each cluster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

We are still thick but meat factories have been a problem since March or April. I remember listening to a podcast about a meat factory in America ages ago that had an outbreak. The writing was in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If only there was a place we could go for a quiet pint and wait for all of this to blow over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

smurfjed wrote: »
    Would you kindly educate me, why do you think his LinkedIn profile is fake? All of the listed experience companies appear to be hospitals or medical companies.

I’m not doubting it, but I’m really curious.

I'm being sarcastic. I wish even a tiny fraction of the scepticism thrown at opinions like his was directed at mainstream media institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Vicxas wrote: »
    If only there was a place we could go for a quiet pint and wait for all of this to blow over.

There was just a place until recently, where you could do that and protect yourself from Covid simply by having some food. But the Govt realised that if you were still there when the clock struck midnight, you would turn into an ordinary slave once again and catch Covid. So they've sorted that out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

These cases seem to be Dublin every day now.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Friend of mine living in Kildare tipped down to Galway for a few days today with a load of his local mates, the tit.

Some restriction measures.

The lockdown areas are surrounded by a ring of steel, I mean a cordon of crepe paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Probably has something to do with the type of air conditioning used in these settings.

Meat factories are basically huge fridges and cost a fortune to cool. So the air isn't exchanged all that often but just chilled and recirculated to keep temps down.

That's what they found in Germany when they investigated the huge Toennies operation that had over a 1000 cases.

People standing in close proximity to each other, shouting at each other all day over the noise, in recirculating air.

Our next problem are going to be stuffy offices, schoolrooms and similar during winter when windows can't be opened lest you catch a cold :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Are people avoiding packets of meat over this or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

blade1 wrote: »

We never buy them but I see no reason to avoid them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Can't wait until we go back to butter vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Today's stats: 68 New Cases, 0 Deaths.

That's good I expected higher or is that to come tomorrow or Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

I had a ham sandwich earlier. It didn't taste or smell of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Polar101 wrote: »

Not even ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You should get that checked out.

Screenshot-20200809-201733.jpg

• Advertisement

See what you did there :)

You should get that checked out.

Screenshot-20200809-201733.jpg

I'm talking it that this was his joke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    We never buy them but I see no reason to avoid them either.

Are cold meat products from the diseased factories safe to eat ?
    Do they supply supermarket branded products also ?
    The FSAI have not said anything.
    Oh, they are on their alcoholliers, I forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

peasant wrote: »
    Our next problem are going to be stuffy offices, schoolrooms and similar during winter when windows can't be opened lest you catch a cold :eek:

Pre Covid I would habitually have a window open in my non air-con office to minimise colds/flus. Most of my colleagues are of the opinion that you catch a cold from the cold air. Similar to those who believe you catch a cold from having wet hair or sitting in a draught. Hopefully this pandemic will have opened their eyes to how all coronavirus spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When you woke up you had 3 heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I laughed and i really shouldnt have

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Doesn't matter to me. Stopped eating some time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

peasant wrote: »
    Probably has something to do with the type of air conditioning used in these settings.

Meat factories are basically huge fridges and cost a fortune to cool. So the air isn't exchanged all that often but just chilled and recirculated to keep temps down.

That's what they found in Germany when they investigated the huge Toennies operation that had over a 1000 cases.

People standing in close proximity to each other, shouting at each other all day over the noise, in recirculating air.

i'm no expert in ventilation but i think meat processing plant ventilation just moves air around, reusing it with no or at least very cheap filters. if they had HEPA filters they can remove a lot of viruses as the air moves through. in normal times, HEPA filters would be considered overkill for a meat plant and are not required by food safety authorities.

open to correction on all that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

KaneToad wrote: »
    Pre Covid I would habitually have a window open in my non air-con office to minimise colds/flus. Most of my colleagues are of the opinion that you catch a cold from the cold air. Similar to those who believe you catch a cold from having wet hair or sitting in a draught. Hopefully this pandemic will have opened their eyes to how all coronavirus spreads.

I honestly don't think it will.
    The things you state above about how some believe colds and 'flu are transmitted are so deeply ingrained in a lot of people's heads that you'll still hear people saying "close the door/window there's a draught I'll get a dose"
    Ignorance is bliss I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

When you read on the packet it's reconstituted parts of the leg meat with all sorts of additives it's really not good for you. Best, and in my opinion, only ham to eat is the expensive joints you cook at Christmas, at least you know what you're getting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement