Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Fine or jail. What a joke an absolute joke.

Did they fine or jail all the corrupt bankers that me and you are paying for while they live the high life will ill gotten gains??

They did in my hole.

But it’s ok to use a National media outlet to threaten ordinary people if you don’t wear a stupid face covering.

LOL, jesus some people are absolute dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Roger_007 wrote: »
    At an earlier stage in this ‘crisis’ we were told by the alleged experts that the evidence about the usefulness of wearing masks was “inconclusive”. In fact we were told that wearing masks could be counterproductive.
    What compelling evidence has come to light which has led us to a point where we could go to prison if we don’t wear a mask.
    Having listened to various ‘experts’ giving their, often, contradictory opinions on anything to do with this pandemic, I have come to the conclusion that they are all just flailing around in the dark. They are just as ignorant as the rest of us about this virus.
    I think I will just make my own best guesses in future.

Absolutely shed-loads of evidence out there if you look, if you choose not then you can stick to your ill informed conclusion. Take a look at all the evidence posted in the Masks thread for starters....or don't, stick to your best guesses if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is masks mandatory for retail workers? I hope so, I was in a shop recently and the worker was coughing and spluttering behind the till with no mask on, needless to say I quickly got out of there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What a disgraceful front page headline on indo today.

€2500 fine or jail for failure to wear mask splashed across the front page.

Keep the people in fear. What a joke this country has become

I’d prefer someone get a fine than shutting down counties.

While I think masks are important to break chains of transmission I think imported cases are more dangerous if /when we get to a low level.

People breaking quarantine should be fined. If there is no disincentive to stop people breaking it then this leads to the collective punishment in regions as we are experiencing now. That’s really not fair etc. We know how many on here are too cool for school and believe it’s a setup to stop them from their free thinking.

Meat plants should be held to account. They won’t be but we’ve been through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    LOL, jesus some people are absolute dopes.

Thanks again for your input and abuse.

Did you see any corrupt bankers threatened with jail ?? I didn’t. But joe soap is now threatened if he doesn’t wear a mask.

Anyone that questions anything is a dope.

99 % of people is this country are being led and treated like dopes by these so called experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sconsey wrote: »
    Absolutely shed-loads of evidence out there if you look, if you choose not then you can stick to your ill informed conclusion. Take a look at all the evidence posted in the Masks thread for starters....or don't, stick to your best guesses if you want.

Your so called evidence is all about lab condition scenarios where masks reduce aerosol emissions. There is zero evidence about real world scenarios. Because we don't know sh1t about how risky a supermarket is to begin with. What a dangerous viral load is and where it occurs. But we have plenty of empirical evidence that it doesn't occur in supermarkets.

So we make masks mandatory in supermarkets. Upon threat of 25k or 6 months on jail.

And then they expect us to buy into it.

I won't even get into all the other contradictions. But look I'm only venting, I do understand I may as well be talking to the wall here.

The big picture is that we have utterly and comprehensively lost the plot on this.

Not just us, most of the world. You should get out of here before the inconvenience does some permanent damage to you. Any ideas where you will go to get away from the mask wearing madness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Not just us, most of the world. You should get out of here before the inconvenience does some permanent damage to you. Any ideas where you will go to get away from the mask wearing madness?

Brazil

I’d prefer someone get a fine than shutting down counties.

While I think masks are important to break chains of transmission I think imported cases are more dangerous if /when we get to a low level.

People breaking quarantine should be fined. If there is no disincentive to stop people breaking it then this leads to the collective punishment in regions as we are experiencing now. That’s really not fair etc. We know how many on here are too cool for school and believe it’s a setup to stop them from their free thinking.

Meat plants should be held to account. They won’t be but we’ve been through it.

It so simple really. We can all wear 10 masks at the one time or stay at home for 6 weeks until there is covid zero as the experts are calling it now.

That will be fantastic news for everyone but

It won’t matter a sh1t once the airports and entry to this country remains the same with a A4 sheet for personal details and a self isolation declaration is the best we can do.

One case comes in and the cycle starts again.

How people can’t understand this and realise we have to live with this.

It’s a waste of time wasting time trying to get to zero.
    It ain’t possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Did you see any corrupt bankers threatened with jail ?? I didn’t. But joe soap is now threatened if he doesn’t wear a mask.

99 % of people is this country are being led and treated like dopes by these so called experts.

Eh yes.

Bankers were jailed.

Please educate before you rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Eh yes.

Bankers were jailed.

Please educate before you rant.

Your so called evidence is all about lab condition scenarios where masks reduce aerosol emissions. There is zero evidence about real world scenarios. Because we don't know sh1t about how risky a supermarket is to begin with. What a dangerous viral load is and where it occurs. But we have plenty of empirical evidence that it doesn't occur in supermarkets.

Lab based testing, you mean under controlled conditions, the basis for most scientific testing? May as well throw science on the scrapheap if you don't trust lab based testing. In fairness I am not aware of any scientists working in 'supermarket based conditions', could be a new branch of science.

Your empirical evidence actually means you have no evidence, you are assuming based on no evidence.
    So we make masks mandatory in supermarkets. Upon threat of 25k or 6 months on jail.

And then they expect us to buy into it.

I won't even get into all the other contradictions. But look I'm only venting, I do understand I may as well be talking to the wall here.

Yeah best not, you have been swinging and missing enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

The Nordic countries are mask free and are doing grand. Spain is mask mandatory everywhere and infection numbers are shooting up . Do you see a slight logical contradiction here ?

Lab based testing, you mean under controlled conditions, the basis for most scientific testing? May as well throw science on the scrapheap if you don't trust lab based testing. In fairness I am not aware of any scientists working in 'supermarket based conditions', could be a new branch of science.

Your empirical evidence actually means you have no evidence, you are assuming based on no evidence.

Yeah best not, you have been swinging and missing enough already.

I've been reading up on this so called evidence. Not just today but all along.

So they stuck someone with COVID into a room for a while and then they measured the viral load per m3 of air. And it was minuscule, on the border of detectable. So they came up with these so called 'super spreaders' whose viral emissions are allegedly 600,000 times that of a 'normal infected'. Only they are entirely theoretical as far as I can see.

And then they're trying to tell us that this applies to real world scenarios where we already know that virtually no spread has occurred in the past.

I actually wonder have ye all collectively lost your minds or something. How you can convince yourselves of this with all this certainty on display when its clearly about is watertight as an onion bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

dalyboy wrote: »
    The Nordic countries are mask free and are doing grand. Spain is mask mandatory everywhere and infection numbers are shooting up . Do you see a slight logical contradiction here ?

Sweden has nearly 4 times our number of deaths and cases despite only having double our population.

It so simple really. We can all wear 10 masks at the one time or stay at home for 6 weeks until there is covid zero as the experts are calling it now.

That will be fantastic news for everyone but

It won’t matter a sh1t once the airports and entry to this country remains the same with a A4 sheet for personal details and a self isolation declaration is the best we can do.

One case comes in and the cycle starts again.

How people can’t understand this and realise we have to live with this.

It’s a waste of time wasting time trying to get to zero.
    It ain’t possible

Overall. I agree with you. I wouldn't say it's impossible. Seems pretty nice in New Zealand at the moment.

If worked in the airport well I'd be telling everyone and their mother that this is not fair and impossible to achieve. (as I'd imagine I'd like to get back to my old life).

As I said. previously the cost of closing schools vs quaratining arrivals is about to be tested. What is the lockdown in LOK costing in terms of jobs and businesses?

There are approx 1 Million children in primary and secondary here.
    Are we supposed to just let them get it and hope there are no long term affects to this new virus? The last new virus we had wasn't great.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-kids-school-children-coronavirus-in-person-instruction/

Sweden has nearly 4 times our number of deaths and cases despite only having double our population.

Come on. You're a numbers man. You should know better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There is an issue with Android phones worldwide, caused by a Google update. Google hope to have a solution later today, but in the meantime it has resulted in confusion and some public mistrust of the Covid app, just at the time when we need it most. The Covid app is not at fault, this problem affects more than our little national app.

Call the HSE on 1850 24 1850 and they can talk you through it. To me, it sounds like your bluetooth setting has been turned off. Mine had the same popup this morning and my bluetooth was off - strange, because I hadn't suddenly turned it off in the middle of the night.

Just goes to show how much messing with your phone goes on when we are not even aware of it - by google and other apps and services that we all allow far more access to than maybe we really should.

Bottom line - get the Covid app back up and running anyway.

Thanks but no joy. Spoke with 2 different people in hse (second really tried to help) but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks but no joy. Spoke with 2 different people in hse (second really tried to help) but no joy.

iPhone? Go to settings > General > About - What does it say for Software Version?

• Advertisement

I've been reading up on this so called evidence. Not just today but all along.

So they stuck someone with COVID into a room for a while and then they measured the viral load per m3 of air. And it was minuscule, on the border of detectable. So they came up with these so called 'super spreaders' whose viral emissions are allegedly 600,000 times that of a 'normal infected'. Only they are entirely theoretical as far as I can see.

And then they're trying to tell us that this applies to real world scenarios where we already know that virtually no spread has occurred in the past.

I actually wonder have ye all collectively lost your minds or something. How you can convince yourselves of this with all this certainty on display when its clearly about is watertight as an onion bag.

That's a grade-A bullsh1t response there, no idea what study you are talking about but you are totally avoiding the question. Why are you talking about a study that was measuring viral loads? Nothing to do with masks. You try to misdirect and not answer the question when you get called on the nonsense you are posting. You claimed that you dont trust lab based studies that prove masks reduce aerosol emissions....complete rubbish, so your response is to bring up some unrelated study, nothing to do with masks. All the time claiming supermarkets are different.

If you can get us a breakdown of the sources of community transmission in Ireland then you could make that claim. Will you get the breakdown? you will in your hoop.

That's a grade-A bullsh1t response there, no idea what study you are talking about but you are totally avoiding the question. Why are you talking about a study that was measuring viral loads? Nothing to do with masks. You try to misdirect and not answer the question when you get called on the nonsense you are posting. You claimed that you dont trust lab based studies that prove masks reduce aerosol emissions....complete rubbish, so your response is to bring up some unrelated study, nothing to do with masks. All the time claiming supermarkets are different.

If you can get us a breakdown of the sources of community transmission in Ireland then you could make that claim. Will you get the breakdown? you will in your hoop.

Can you get us the name of one supermarket just one that was closed down during the months of March April or May during peak community transmission of this virus ??

Masks not being a mandatory requirement during this period should have given an almighty number of clusters breaking out in these now so called hazardous environments.

You're all over the place. Viral load in the air has everything to do with masks. What else would be relevant?

Regardless of how little I'm able to follow you now... Let me ask you just this. Why am I supposed to prove something with data that I cannot obtain? I'm not asking for more restrictions. If anyone should be bringing hard evidence to the table its the people introducing masks/restrictions. You should ask your government to provide hard evidence that masks will reduce transmission in retail - not based on lab models or fancy animations - based on what transmission there was in retail to begin with and the actual practical effect.

Will they be able to get you that evidence? They will in their hoop.

The site is almost unusable.
    What's going on ?
    It's almost like DDOS.
    When cloudflare was on last week, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dalyboy wrote: »

i do indeed, over simplification can really cause truly dreadful conclusions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

NEW THREAD DAY

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What in the Fcuk do bankers have to do with measures to try and mitigate the spread of a virus that can kill people??

You sound like a raving lunatic.

What in the Fcuk do bankers have to do with measures to try and mitigate the spread of a virus that can kill people??

You sound like a raving lunatic.

:rolleyes

It’s the threat against ordinary people for minor discretions whist recently enough these guys walked away scot free after robbing millions.

Simple enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

:rolleyes

It’s the threat against ordinary people for minor discretions whist recently enough these guys walked away scot free after robbing millions.

Simple enough really.

Minor indiscretions during a pandemic?

Bankers have nothing to do with this discussion and I'd hazard a guess in saying that you'd bring them up in any discussion...on anything!

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    Minor indiscretions during a pandemic?

Bankers have nothing to do with this discussion and I'd hazard a guess in saying that you'd bring them up in any discussion...on anything!

Yeah it’s a minor indiscretion not to wear a face covering in a pandemic especially as it wasn’t necessary at all until 5 months into said pandemic.

How quick people forget what actually went on before and I agree probably not the place and heading off topic but was just used as example of how one law for some and different for others for bigger indiscretions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement