Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

I assume if you take out Kildare, Laois and Offaly our infection rate is the same if not better

Yes your right, If we are higher than UK and Germany, shouldn't they be on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can you give us your definition of 'whataboutism' and then after that how it applies to the post you quoted.

Basically its attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.

In this case the mandating of masks is wrong because:

* GAA matches are allowed to go ahead.
    * Airports are open
    * etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

schmoo2k wrote: »
    You don't know that and even the employees don't know - in the meat factory last week, there was 1 confirmed case so they decided to test the rest of the employees and found 80 new cases, the majority of whom didn't realise they had it...

If we had spread in supermarkets we could not have gone from they heights of March and April down to single digits in July. Not saying nobody ever got it in a supermarket but it couldn't have been significant.

On top of that we have the reports from the likes of Supervalue, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi etc

Is that a properly set up study, certified and peer reviewed? No its not, but its fact and we call it empirical evidence and it paints a clear picture.

I cant believe people are ready to dismiss that but rather look at some fancy droplet animation on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Drumpot wrote: »
    13.6, is that the newer one?

Yeah that's the latest, usually if its below 13.5 or 14.0 beta, it won't work, so it's odd that is doesn't on 13.6.

If we had spread in supermarkets we could not have gone from they heights of March and April down to single digits in July.

There was also the lockdown measures, the fact that people left their home for very little other than exercise and essential shopping, elderly were mostly cocooning, you couldn't travel more than 2km and a huge proportion of the population were either working from home or out of work completely.

During end of March and April, many people were going to their local supermarkets very infrequently, once a week or fortnight, and almost nowhere else. Vast majority were obeying distance, etc. Now that we have people moving around more, meeting friends, cafes/restaurants open, etc, that there are more chances for it to spread. If it's going up in the community, the chances of you meeting someone infected anywhere, including a supermarket, goes up too.

Is that a properly set up study, certified and peer reviewed? No its not, but its fact and we call it empirical evidence and it paints a clear picture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This lark of Ireland being on par with the UK or Germany is a one dimensional meaningless statistic yet again which provides fodder for unnecessary and unfounded fearmongering. We have an outbreak we are reasonably on top of but because the overall population of the country is small it looks worse. The Aberdeen outbreak would look bad in Ireland also but because the UK population is much bigger and the country is bigger as a whole it's not as much of an issue there.

Ireland is a small country. A comparatively small outbreak in Ireland drives up the national incident rate because the outbreak is a more substantial proportion of the population than bigger countries.

In late March, the US per capita statistics were not strikingly bad but we saw all the coffin burying images from New York, because the cluster was only a small proportion of the overall US population. Same story here.

If we had spread in supermarkets we could not have gone from they heights of March and April down to single digits in July. Not saying nobody ever got it in a supermarket but it couldn't have been significant.

On top of that we have the reports from the likes of Supervalue, Tesco, Lidl, Aldi etc

I cant believe people are ready to dismiss that but rather look at some fancy droplet animation on youtube.

Our shopping habits in supermarkets changed a lot in your timeframe also don't forget you couldn't buy a mask back then even if you wanted to...

One of the biggest changes I noticed was the frequency of visits dramatically dropped (in my household anyway).

Question 1: Do you agree with masks in densely populated indoor spaces (rush hour dart for example)?

Question 2: Do you agree with masks in open spaces with few people?

Shops tend to lie somewhere between the two, at any given day in any given shop they could be like scenario 1 or 2.

The new mandate is simply erring on the side of caution and given the amount of time I spend in a shop, the inconvenience isn't even worth the time to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yeah that's the latest, usually if its below 13.5 or 14.0 beta, it won't work, so it's odd that is doesn't on 13.6.

It now works fine on the latest 14.0 beta, works on my phone anyway.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It now works fine on the latest 14.0 beta, works on my phone anyway.

Ah I went to beta 4 the other day and never checked the app, you're right it does work now. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Does anyone have a link to the County by County 14 day incidence please ?

It is being reported on by Irish Times and RTE but I can't find the actual List.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I met a fella today wearing a medical face mask the wrong way round, first he pulled it down so it was only covering his mouth (not his nose), and then he pulled it down below his chin. #HealthAndSafetyGoneWrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Myramar

:rolleyes

It’s the threat against ordinary people for minor discretions whist recently enough these guys walked away scot free after robbing millions.

Simple enough really.

Covid 19 is still the biggest challenge facing the world at this moment.
    Nothing MINOR about anyone facilitating it's spread.

Simple enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

First time in supermarket with a 'mask' on. Really hit home. The total fkn idiocy of it. Its so depressing I hope we're happy now, sure numbers will come right down now.

I wish this was America :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GazzaL wrote: »
    I met a fella today wearing a medical face mask the wrong way round, first he pulled it down so it was only covering his mouth (not his nose), and then he pulled it down below his chin. #HealthAndSafetyGoneWrong

Observing all day, nobody and I mean nobody has not touched the front of their mask on entering the shops.
    It's a health and safety shambles.
    The idiocy of the whole thing struck me getting my morning coffee, to go into the shop and get the coffee and leave I had to wear a mask but if I wanted to sit down and have the coffee there I didn't need a mask. This is beyond retarded mandate from Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Spain is easing off,
    Belgium is coming down.

522609.jpg

Observing all day, nobody and I mean nobody has not touched the front of their mask on entering the shops.
    The idiocy of the whole thing struck me getting my morning coffee, to go into the shop and get the coffee and leave I had to wear a mask but if I wanted to sit down and have the coffee there I didn't need a mask. This is beyond retarded mandate from Government.

Out of curiosity, do you think your coffee experience is representative of what the mandate is trying to achieve? Or that the mandate doesn't suite your style of shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Careful now with that talk

Your going to be called an idiot and inconsiderate dick with thoughts like that on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do you think your coffee experience is representative of what the mandate is trying to achieve? Or that the mandate doesn't suite your style of shopping?

I'm saying it's an absolute stupid and dangerous policy. I won't have to wear a mask having a few pints tonight, I don't have to wear one if sitting down for a coffee but do if I intend to leave with one.
    This policy is putting people in danger due to people not using the masks correctly, if they were being used as intended I have no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread has went to sh1t, there is a dedicated mask thread in the forum, can we stick to the cases and all that relevant info here.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'm saying it's an absolute stupid and dangerous policy. I won't have to wear a mask having a few pints tonight, I don't have to wear one if sitting down for a coffee but do if I intend to leave with one.
    This policy is putting people in danger due to people not using the masks correctly, if they were being used as intended I have no issue.

Same policy as literally every other country in the EU

Unless there is a country that has invented a mask that traps the virus in but lets food and drink through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are other measures in place in regards to your pints and your coffee. Namely that the tables you sit are supposed to be distanced from other customers to prevent spread.

The mask is assistance for the fact that you're mobile and moving around inside the shop. It prevents you spreading to other customers and staff during the inevitable brush past. The numbers of customers coming in and out quickly versus those sitting in is probably 10:1.

Nobody has ever claimed it's a silver bullet. Wearing masks is a minor inconvenience, and helps reduce the spread. You'll find many post from me back in March/April suggesting that masks could be an issue, could make people complacent and make the spread worse, and that more data was needed. We got more data, the issues I raised did not appear, so I've changed my position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

How long is testing results taking now? Did I read somewhere it's taking 48 hours for test results to come back?

Are test results taking this long in other countries like in mainland Europe?

I really can't see schools going back to school in a few weeks times. It will lead to case numbers rising and clusters from schools leaking into community transmissions. Coupled with some slow testing results, it will be a mess. We will be gone into lockdown number 2 by November.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This thread has went to sh1t, there is a dedicated mask thread in the forum, can we stick to the cases and all that relevant info here.

Theyre all thread band there so they've come here to sprout their nonsense

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

owlbethere wrote: »
    How long is testing results taking now? Did I read somewhere it's taking 48 hours for test results to come back?

I really can't see schools going back to school in a few weeks times. It will lead to case numbers rising and clusters from schools leaking into community transmissions. Coupled with some slow testing results, it will be a mess. We will be gone into lockdown number 2 by November.

November is optimistic imo

The testing of children in a creche where workers tested positive is taking days
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-children-test-positive-for-covid-19-at-meath-creche-39437298.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

owlbethere wrote: »

There's been no testing update since Friday with regards to timing

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Is this the new mask thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

GazzaL wrote: »

Sure Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What's the estimates for today, my formula with the added results from yesterday the number could be between 250-350 today,with about 35 cases in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is a risk of having too many COVID threads but I'd be in favour of renaming this one to something like "General Coronavirus (COVID-19) Chat" and creating a new one specially for discussion about the daily case/death figures and county breakdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement