Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What's the estimates for today, my formula with the added results from yesterday the number could be between 250-350 today,with about 35 cases in Dublin

If you say the same thing everyday eventually one day you may be correct. Unlikely to be today though given current trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What formula is given such high numbers?
    I think their formula is assuming exponential growth, but it isn't working so well in a low-transmission environment with isolated clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭gipi

The Irish Times reported that the 3 affected children were siblings. Any chance that the children brought it to the crèche rather than the other way round? There was a query in this thread the other day about how 2 staff who weren't working closely together seemed to catch it at the same time?

No deaths in UK hospitals in the last 24 hours, think that's the first time ever since March. Although they have a noteable Monday lag, it still shows deaths continue to trend downward there despite the increased cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

pissing against the wind these measures, there is no stopping it getting around just sit and hope your not vulnerable to it

Glad you posted your expert opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

bb1234567 wrote: »
    No deaths in UK hospitals in the last 24 hours, think that's the first time ever since March. Although they have a noteable Monday lag, it still shows deaths continue to trend downward there despite the increased cases.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1292573111649472512

might be linked to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

gipi wrote: »
    The Irish Times reported that the 3 affected children were siblings. Any chance that the children brought it to the crèche rather than the other way round? There was a query in this thread the other day about how 2 staff who weren't working closely together seemed to catch it at the same time?

Really, didn't know that. Now I assume they were in different rooms unless they are triplets. Absolutely, it's more likely in fact. (there are more children than teachers.)

My query is why did they wait to close down the third room, especially if the kids are from the same household?

A week for a test turn around is madness with the 6 day median incubation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

At what population scale can the excuse that cases are inflated by population size remain valid? Can a country of 10 million also claim their case numbers only looked bad because of their population size, what is the cut off.It's hard to argue this because what is considered a small country is subjective. The metric is cases per capita, doesn't get any more representative than this, so the population size imapact this is pretty irrelevant for the most part, especially in a country like Ireland which has millions of residents and is not particularly small.

The numbers are what they are. I agree though that it is a cause of unnecessary fear mongering not because of that but because the cases have mostly been traced as far as we know. As long as community transmission remains limited then there is no need for most of us to be worrying.

Tbh this is one thing I struggled with at the start, and still cant wrap my head around, though I only recently became an internet epidemiologist.. How come it spreads to more people in the UK than here? Clearly the answer is they have more people, but shouldn't it spread at the same rate everywhere with similar population densities? So in my mind, a smaller country should get through it quicker rather than a comparable population %.

Obviously there are many other factors at play, but consider a room with 10 people and a room with 1,000. By the time 10 of the 1,000 have caught it, shouldn't the other room have all 10 infected rather than just 1?

Anyone any idea, or a Pandemic for Dummies link for me? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Rumours yesterday that a few of the kids had tested positive alright. Lot of other darker rumours going around about the creche not making staff wear that 10k worth of PPE and that they were way more concerned about PR than the cases. Wonder with the national papers picking up the story if they'll look into it further. So far they've all been pretty kind to the facility...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Northern Ireland has recorded its first COVID death in 4 weeks - an 80 year old woman over the weekend.
    76 new cases over the last 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

eigrod wrote: »

Which means any time from 5.30 to about 6.00!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The numbers are what they are. I agree though that it is a cause of unnecessary fear mongering not because of that but because the cases have mostly been traced as far as we know. As long as community transmission remains limited then there is no need for most of us to be worrying.
    If you have an outbreak in a large factory, you're potentially going to get hundreds infected very quickly. That could happen in Luxembourg or Germany, but obviously will look far worse on a national scale for Lux versus DE.

I agree with the previous poster that the figures on their own don't mean much and can be used as a headline with little real meaning, but the more important thing is velocity and where the figures are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I assume if you take out Kildare, Laois and Offaly our infection rate is the same if not better

For example the last week 550 cases and 359 of those cases from Kildare, Laois and Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,997 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

UK clearly hiding the figures, and not reporting the reality .

You could say the same for the main man MM.
    At least Bojo has been up close and personal with covid.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1292843041171165189?s=20

Tbh this is one thing I struggled with at the start, and still cant wrap my head around, though I only recently became an internet epidemiologist.. How come it spreads to more people in the UK than here? Clearly the answer is they have more people, but shouldn't it spread at the same rate everywhere with similar population densities? So in my mind, a smaller country should get through it quicker rather than a comparable population %.

Obviously there are many other factors at play, but consider a room with 10 people and a room with 1,000. By the time 10 of the 1,000 have caught it, shouldn't the other room have all 10 infected rather than just 1?

There are a lot of factors at work, primary amongst them is the level of testing and contact tracing. Next you look at how robust the two biggest risk areas are, hospital system and care homes. All the while, of course, locations that naturally have a lot of people or are high risk are shut down. Then it's test, isolate and contact trace.
    The league tables and these per 100K stats are not of much use as countries have been doing all kinds of different counting. The real numbers are R0, hospital admissions, ICU cases, deaths and average number of contacts. We can make sense of these and they give better indications of the management of the disease.

As for your room example it's unknown. There are superspreaders and superspreading events but why some are and others are not is not well understood. Clearly not packing everyone into a room would be a good start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Population density is a total red herring. It is all about interactions, which has more to do with behavior than population density. If all the people in Antarctica decide to have a midwinter bash in the same hut or what ever...

Your rooms scenario, is an interesting question and any attempt to answer it will require dozens of assumptions, both explicit and implicit.

I would note that given the potential viral loads that somebody could be exhaling, one person could potentially pass on the virus to 100s if they are all in the same room, esp. if they are mixing and remain together for a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland aren't. England certainly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

The never ending story of doom and gloom with no end in sight is taking its toll.

I’m from a fairly large part of north Dublin and sadly I’ve tragically heard of 6 suicides over the last month. These are all fairly young people 30-45 years of age. This number of people taking their own life in such a small space of time has shocked me.

I would genuinely like mental health to be pushed to the forefront by this government as it appears it’s going backwards in this regard.

I hate to say this but there is a real possibility that the overall mental heath deaths are going to ultimately overshadow covid deaths.

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    The never ending story of doom and gloom with no end in sight is taking its toll.

I’m from a fairly large part of north Dublin and sadly I’ve tragically heard of 6 suicides over the last month. These are all fairly young people 30-45 years of age. This number of people taking their own life in such a small space of time has shocked me.

I would genuinely like mental health to be pushed to the forefront by this government as it appears it’s going backwards in this regard.

I hate to say this but there is a real possibility that the overall mental heath deaths are going to ultimately overshadow covid deaths.
    It's unlikely to be because the aim is disease control and everything else will have to wait. IMO they are barely paying lip service to it beyond "understanding how hard this is" and the happy clappy hashtags/cliches. Sadly the next phase will be more of a focus on the economic.

How it spreads is a down to the actual mechanics of transmission. Which are complex. The distribution of the R number is not linear due to super spreading type things so looking at that and think we are doing grand is not a great idea because one day you could get one person spreading it to 50 as has happened.
    Then your R number jumps to 42 or whatever.

You have to take into account the fundamental dynamics of the transmission rather than looking at the macro effects of decisions. For instance.

"We are doing great, there is no community transmission. It SHOULD be safe to open schools now as they were before."

Problem with that is that the fundamentals of the virus transmission hasn't changed.

Best we can say is it might be safe but we don't know. We literally have to just try. Add into that the environmental factors which have an impact of respiratory diseases. It's extremely complex.

522627.jpg

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.10488.pdf
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1292806618510286851?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Guessing 50-100 cases today. But tomorrow's numbers will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

The reality it only kills old ill and already nearly dead people? , this group could also be labeled as the "weaker" in society.Also a group that could be sealed away for a while allowing the world to continue functioning ensuring survival and well being of everyone.

The thread title needs adjusting, didn't leo and the press admit to the figure being inflated by 60 percent...

dalyboy wrote: »

That is really sad to hear about so many young people taking their life, hopefully it will not come to light that this trend has been increasing nationally.

On the bright side though lockdown so far at least, appears to not have had a major impact on suicide rates internationally. UK Samaritans have stated there has not been a noticeable increase in suicide rates since March so far.

https://factcheckni.org/fact-checks/has-the-suicide-rate-increased-200-during-the-covid-19-lockdown-period/

It would be unlikely that Ireland would buck this trend. However, there are many other mental health issues much of the population are going through currently that have clearly been exacerbated by lack of human contact and stress,and are being larged ignored at such a crucial time in favour of maintaining anti- COVID measures. Not nearly enough is being done to make sure these people are being cared for and their mental health problems being recognised as major side effect of our lockdown.

Their health is being invalidated and seen as less improtant than another illness , which is realy sad. Everybody with health problems should get the help they need, their health is always as important as anybody suffering COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

57 cases
    No deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

0 deaths & 57 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well it's good to see the numbers coming down from 174 to 68 to now 57.

Going the right way, down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

0 deaths & 57 cases
    much better

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement