Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incoming water filter options?

• 22-07-2020 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

Hope someone can help out with an issue I'm having at home.

We are connected to the mains water supply however we regularly (min once per month if no every 2 weeks) have issues with the water being very dirty/brown and it is damaging clothes in the washing machine, damaging cups/plates in the dishwasher (and no doubt the internals of the dishwasher and wash machine), when running the bath for the kids they are bathing in this brown/dirty water. And finally then we cook and I drink this water (for the last 2 years the kids have only drank bottled water from the shop).

My water mains comes into my garage first and then into the house. Is there any kind of filter system I can install in the garage that will clean/improve the water?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

water-man wrote: »
    Hello,

Hope someone can help out with an issue I'm having at home.

We are connected to the mains water supply however we regularly (min once per month if no every 2 weeks) have issues with the water being very dirty/brown and it is damaging clothes in the washing machine, damaging cups/plates in the dishwasher (and no doubt the internals of the dishwasher and wash machine), when running the bath for the kids they are bathing in this brown/dirty water. And finally then we cook and I drink this water (for the last 2 years the kids have only drank bottled water from the shop).

My water mains comes into my garage first and then into the house. Is there any kind of filter system I can install in the garage that will clean/improve the water?

Thanks.

Do you have any trouble with the heating system?
    Sounds like a hole innthe heating coil

You are on mains and not pumped from a well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Morning,

I've attached a very basic schematic and pic of how my water system works.

Basically, mains water comes in to down stairs manifold with a branch to header tank in attic for toilets.
    From downstairs manifold water goes to all downstairs cold water taps, dishwasher, wash machine.
    On out side of the mainfold it then goes to an upstairs manifold.
    From this manifold it goes to all upstairs taps and shower (not an electric or pumped shower).
    On outside of this manifold goes to the inlet coil of the hot water tank.
    Outlet side of hot water tank is same pressure as mains (approx 3bar).
    This hot water then goes to upstairs HW manifold and finally to the downstairs HW manifold.

The heating system is a Heat pump for UFH (upstairs and down) plus it does the HW.

Any Questions let me know.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Somethings not adding up. The water main alone wouldn’t be supplying all that manifold surely?
    Does your kitchen sink tap water turn brown? Have you contacted the council?

Hello,

What you see in the sketch and pic is exactly how it is. I left space in the garage for a pressure/flow booster/accumulator in the event that flow would have been poor however it is great.

All the taps will run brown. It starts with the downstairs cold taps then eventually moves to the HW taps.

Irish Water say it's not their issue?!

Anyone any ideas/opinions on what options have I for an incoming filtration system?

What do people with a well use?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hello,

What you see in the sketch and pic is exactly how it is. I left space in the garage for a pressure/flow booster/accumulator in the event that flow would have been poor however it is great.

All the taps will run brown. It starts with the downstairs cold taps then eventually moves to the HW taps.

Irish Water say it's not their issue?!

Anyone any ideas/opinions on what options have I for an incoming filtration system?

What do people with a well use?

Thanks.

There are various and effective filtration systems that can be fitted to an incoming water supply dependent on what it is that needs to be removed - first step is to have it tested and establish the facts of what is present.

You mention that Irish Water believe it’s not in their remit - is this a public water main? Or group scheme?

Nice manifold, but it is unusual (and I would have thought non compliant with building regs) to have every tap in the place fed directly from the mains. Is that definitely the case? I am guessing your hot water cylinder is an unvented type?

It is important to establish beyond doubt that the symptoms you describe are borne from the incoming supply and not because of a failure within your system (albeit unlikely)

If you disconnect the incoming supply pipe at the point of entry, allow it to flush and then take a sample, is the visual presentation the same?

• Advertisement

Comments in red....
    Lenar3556 wrote: »
    There are various and effective filtration systems that can be fitted to an incoming water supply dependent on what it is that needs to be removed - first step is to have it tested and establish the facts of what is present. Thank you. What kind of company would offer this service do you know?

You mention that Irish Water believe it’s not in their remit - is this a public water main? Or group scheme? Public water main

Nice manifold, but it is unusual (and I would have thought non compliant with building regs) to have every tap in the place fed directly from the mains. It was what I asked for and I may have been a guinney pig however overall I'm happy with the system. Is that definitely the case? Yes all taps are mains fed. I am guessing your hot water cylinder is an unvented type? Not exactly sure what you mean here. I know the HW tank itself is not like an old style copper cylinder with an expansion pipe to attic. My understanding of a "traditional" HW system is the water from the boiler goes through the coil and heats the water in the tank wheras my system is a bit different. In my tank the cold water goes in one side of a coil, when a HW tap is turned on the water flows through the coil and is heated in the process then comes out the other side hot, if that makes sense.

It is important to establish beyond doubt that the symptoms you describe are borne from the incoming supply and not because of a failure within your system (albeit unlikely) This has occurred to me however the fact that I'm seeing it on every tap from the first maifold on the cold water side all the way through leads me to conclude (fingers crossed and candles light) its on my incoming water.

If you disconnect the incoming supply pipe at the point of entry, allow it to flush and then take a sample, is the visual presentation the same? It's not all the time. Maybe once every 2 months sometimes more. It's only really noticeable when the kids are getting a bath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Comments in red....

Ok, I understand.

If it was me, I would be piling the pressure on Irish Water to investigate what is happening here. It is their remit to ensure satisfactory water quality to homes and have a policy to investigate such reports promptly.

Some form of filtration/treatment on your side may still form part of the final solution, but I think you will achieve a better outcome by having Irish Water investigate in the first instance. They may need to undertake more frequent scouring of the main or fit an additional valve for such a purpose.

Regarding lab testing, this firm https://cls.ie/ did a good job for me before, (although it was many years ago)Note that there is a procedure associated with taking the sample, which needs to be followed carefully in order to obtain an accurate result. I suspect there are multiple labs all over the country. The local authority rep who should call to investigate your complaint to Irish water may be able to advise a local lab - they will be doing ongoing testing themselves.

Advertisement