Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is going to win the Champions League? (Poll)

• 22-07-2020 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Who is going to win?

I think it's finally Atletico's year.

They'll beat Bayern in the final, possibly on penalties.

Who is going to win? 127 votes

PSG
    0%
    Real Madrid
    3%
    dfx-SRFC90dakarMorzadec 4 votes
    Man City
    15%
    scaryChardee MacDennisraddoRiesen_MealNIMANstesaurusAcostajustshanetom1ieDrumpotdoncarlosRelikkdeano546Nijmegenn32bucketybuckAdamDRichard HillmanLocal_Chapjohn why 20 votes
    Atalanta
    19%
    digimaneigrod[Deleted User]eventJPAadaminhoKristopheruscallaway92TigerbabyredarmyDenMan8-10overthebridgeBillyHasMatesBrussels Sprouttalla10CSFgimli2112dinorebelSlattsy 25 votes
    Atletico Madrid
    5%
    super_furrydmigsyFather HernandezMR NINEirishguitarlad[Deleted User][Deleted User] 7 votes
    Bayern
    8%
    [Deleted User]~Rebel~BonnieSituationsmelly sockunplayableCiano35ikeano29dr.kenneth noisewaterMulumpyJohnGreenFanSheridan81 11 votes
    Lyon
    35%
    astrofoolZaphKingp35UnearthlyjacoolZebra3.G.clickhereMushyDubDanixtal191rossie1977Deeper Bluedreamers75happyoutscanBenKHow Soon Is NowPrettyBoyyourdeadwrightv3ttel 45 votes
    Juventus
    0%
    RB Leipzig
    11%
    FenixmachiavellianmeKiithatilladehunRoanmoreDvBmurpho999KenHyBazBoxOfficer GigglesThe J Stands for JayThe Little FellaGuffyStringerBellel Fenomeno 15 votes
    Napoli
    0%
    Barcelona
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lyon
    I really hope it's not Atletico, hate watching their anti football.

Fancy a Bayern-PSG final myself.

Great opportunity for PSG imo although hard to know how sharp they'll be considering the French league was curtailed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lyon
    El Sueño wrote: »
    I really hope it's not Atletico, hate watching their anti football.

Fancy a Bayern-PSG final myself.

Great opportunity for PSG imo although hard to know how sharp they'll be considering the French league was curtailed

I think Atalanta will beat PSG, the long lay off wont have helped at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hard to know how the differing levels of lay off/leagues won will play into this. City are busy but not playing at a high level really and have lost their most potent goal threat at this level. PSG must be utterly "unsharpe" at this point. Bayern and Leipzig have had their feet up for a few weeks. Real Madrid are how to win this and are new champions and will surely be fully up for it. Bale will be very fresh as well for his goals ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Atalanta
    Where's the Chelsea option?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lyon
    Went for Bayern but it's too hard to call really. One of the most open I can remember in a long time. No team stands out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Atalanta
    I think Man City have been the best team (outside of when Laporte is injured) for quite a while now, but have always found a way to trip themselves up and with no Liverpool around I will back them ahead of Bayern who are also great. Partly because Bayern’s league being over for quite some time will not be in their interest. Same with PSG.

I don’t think Barca are what they once were either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bayern.

Strong in every position.

Atalanta
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Bayern.

Strong in every position.

I think they’re weak enough in wide areas. I watched all their games post-Covid, and while Gnabry sure loves to face British opposition, I’m not sure him, Coman and Perisic are really elite level players.

Sane will improve them next year if he’s what he was before the injury.

• Bayern
    Nobody voted for PSG and assume out of their laughable knockout performances in recent years.
    I actually think this year could prove to be a final appearance for them anyway.

I think either a Munich V PSG or Athletico V Munich final.

Atalanta
    Nobody voted for PSG and assume out of their laughable knockout performances in recent years.
    I actually think this year could prove to be a final appearance for them anyway.

I think either a Munich V PSG or Athletico V Munich final.

You don’t think the lack of competitive football will screw them?

• Advertisement

• Bayern
    CSF wrote: »
    You don’t think the lack of competitive football will screw them?

Yea maybe you have a point

Still think a decent possibility in a knockout format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Atalanta
    City for me. Unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Bayern
    RB Leipzig as a darkhorse?

I don't watch German football but I notice they've only lost 4 league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

RB Leipzig
    Juve, when I closed my eyes and pointed at the screen they were who my finger landed on. Pretty solid reasoning process if I do say so myself.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Atalanta
    Juve, when I closed my eyes and pointed at the screen they were who my finger landed on. Pretty solid reasoning process if I do say so myself.

I used to pick winners in the Grand National every year using that exact same method.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Bayern
    Voted for A.Madrid, tough route for Bayern to make it. Defo think it could be a dark horse that wins it this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lyon
    Have to go for Bayern ,
    The break may go against them but they have been great this season ,

Atalanta
    Sheridan81 wrote: »
    RB Leipzig as a darkhorse?

I don't watch German football but I notice they've only lost 4 league games.

I’d have figured them heavily if it weren’t for losing Timo Werner. They’re a well oiled unit with lots of good players, but Werner was the one you could rely on to come up with the goals. Schick isn’t bad but I can’t think of many teams that have won Champions Leagues with a striker of his level either.

Lyon
    I’d have figured them heavily if it weren’t for losing Timo Werner. They’re a well oiled unit with lots of good players, but Werner was the one you could rely on to come up with the goals. Schick isn’t bad but I can’t think of many teams that have won Champions Leagues with a striker of his level either.

Have to agree Werner missing means they have ZERO chance of winning it for me ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lyon
    Leipzig had zero chance of winning with Werner.

Bayern, Barcelona, Real and City are the only ones in with a chance. PSG too inconsistent and Juve seem to be off the boil a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Bayern
    I don't know how you can say that as they're all on the same side of the draw.

Quarter Final Draw
    Real Madrid (ESP)/Manchester City (ENG) V Lyon (FRA)/Juventus (ITA)
    Leipzig (GER) V Atlético (ESP)
    Napoli (ITA)/Barcelona (ESP) V Chelsea (ENG)/Bayern München (GER)
    Atalanta (ITA) V Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Semi-Final Draw
    Real Madrid (ESP)/Manchester City (ENG)/Lyon (FRA)/Juventus (ITA) V Napoli (ITA)/Barcelona (ESP)/Chelsea (ENG)/Bayern München (GER)
    Leipzig (GER)/Atlético (ESP) V Atalanta (ITA)/Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Atalanta
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    Leipzig had zero chance of winning with Werner.

Bayern, Barcelona, Real and City are the only ones in with a chance. PSG too inconsistent and Juve seem to be off the boil a little.

Everything I’d watched of Barca and Leipzig this season did not reflect more positively on Barca.

Take Messi out of that Barca team and they’re worse than what Leipzig have now. Maybe not on paper but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Atletico have a decent run towards the final - they should beat Leipzig, then should fancy themselves to shut down Atalanta or even PSG.

I'd actually like to see Atletico win it, especially Simeone, as they've come so close in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots saying Bayern but Im not seeing it. Have they vastly improved their squad in the last year or something, can only remember Coutinho arriving and it sounds like he hasnt been a great success there either. Bayern seem to have a habit of tripping themselves up in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Lyon
    Well from the team that was beaten by Liverpool there’s been the emergence of Alphonso Davies, signing of Benjamin Pavard, Joshua Kimmich and Thomas Muller are fit (Kimmich played in the draw at Anfield), Coutinho. Gnabry is in better form although what the break Bayern have had now does to that remains to be seen. Is Tolisso fit? I know he missed all of last season with a cruciate injury

cheers seems they have had a bit of a squad overhaul. I dont watch German football so its a while since Ive seen them play. They were good in the 3-0 at Stamford Bridge but its hard to know how much stock to put in that as Chelseas defence is very leaky, as seen last night v.Liverpool. I would think Bayern will get beyond a Napoli/Barca quarter final but come unstuck vs Man City or Real in the semis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Lyon
    Bayern's Champions League squad by minutes played
    Manuel Neuer Benjamin Pavard
    Kingsley Coman Joshua Kimmich
    Robert Lewandowski Coutinho
    Serge Gnabry Thiago
    David Alaba Jérôme Boateng
    Alphonso Davies Javi Martínez
    Thomas Müller Corentin Tolisso
    Leon Goretzka Lucas Hernández
    Ivan Perišić

The German football post-lockdown was poor fare, and they did enough to win another title.
    I think they would beat the current Man City team. They would have some match against either Juve or Real.
    The other half of the draw just screams out Atlético but I'd love to see Atalanta out-score them.
    There's only so may times I can see Simeone grabbing onto his ball sack :(

Atalanta
    jacool wrote: »
    Bayern's Champions League squad by minutes played
    Manuel Neuer Benjamin Pavard
    Kingsley Coman Joshua Kimmich
    Robert Lewandowski Coutinho
    Serge Gnabry Thiago
    David Alaba Jérôme Boateng
    Alphonso Davies Javi Martínez
    Thomas Müller Corentin Tolisso
    Leon Goretzka Lucas Hernández
    Ivan Perišić

The German football post-lockdown was poor fare, and they did enough to win another title.
    I think they would beat the current Man City team. They would have some match against either Juve or Real.
    The other half of the draw just screams out Atlético but I'd love to see Atalanta out-score them.
    There's only so may times I can see Simeone grabbing onto his ball sack :(

Hold on. Are you saying the current Real and Juve teams are better than City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Atalanta
    Hold on. Are you saying the current Real and Juve teams are better than City?

Thinking teams like Juve and Madrid would be harder to beat than Man City in a CL knockout doesn't necessarily equate to thinking they're better for me

City are a better team but how many times have we seen teams like Juve and Madrid get to semi's and finals in the CL? That competition just has a way of favouring certain teams.

Liverpool have gotten to the final in 4 of their last 10 CL campaigns. Madrid won 4 in 5 years but only won a single league title in that time. Juve have been in more finals than anyone else across multiple eras.

There's something about that competition that goes in the favour of certain clubs like Madrid or Juve. Either beating City directly wouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Don't think Mbappe will make the quarter finals.

https://twitter.com/SnapGoal/status/1286749663706722306?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Atalanta
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't think Mbappe will make the quarter finals.

https://twitter.com/SnapGoal/status/1286749663706722306?s=19

Was about to post that. Big blow for PSG. My money has been on Man City from ages ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The scheduling has probably knocked the best team out of the competition. Had Liverpool been one of the later ties or had the authorities had the cop on to call it off at the time, I think they could have won it again.

Of the teams left, Messi might drag Barca to win it. City are a good prospect too, should be favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Atalanta
    sligeach wrote: »
    The scheduling has probably knocked the best team out of the competition. Had Liverpool been one of the later ties or had the authorities had the cop on to call it off at the time, I think they could have won it again.

Of the teams left, Messi might drag Barca to win it. City are a good prospect too, should be favourites.
    Liverpool were knocked out fair and square by Atletico. A typical Atletico Madrid job get in front and frustrate the opponent from there on. Liverpool were clearly not the best team in the competition having deservedly gone out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Lyon

Adrian knocked Liverpool out.

Alisson would have fit had the game been one of the latter ties/been called off by the authorities.

So you are right if in that sense.

We would have won that game had Alisson been playing.

Lyon
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    Liverpool were knocked out fair and square by Atletico. A typical Atletico Madrid job get in front and frustrate the opponent from there on. Liverpool were clearly not the best team in the competition having deservedly gone out.

did you watch the game at Anfield?

do you think Liverpool went out more so because of the job Atletico did or because of the job Adrian did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Adrian knocked Liverpool out.

Alisson would have fit had the game been one of the latter ties/been called off by the authorities.

So you are right if in that sense.

We would have won that game had Alisson been playing.

That's part of the appeal of the Champions League, you have to kinda roll with those punches with form, injuries and situations.
    Sometimes changes leads to unlikely heroes like Origi and other times it blows up in your face like Adrian did.

Lyon
    ERG89 wrote: »
    That's part of the appeal of the Champions League, you have to kinda roll with those punches with form, injuries and situations.
    Sometimes changes leads to unlikely heroes like Origi and other times it blows up in your face like Adrian did.

100%, I completely agree.

edit: I hope my post didn't come across in any way sour or look like me saying we should still be in it or would have won it if we still were.

just my assessment on why we lost that game, I wasn't sure if Sligeach meant it regarding timing because of form, injuries, etc... or whatever else. I also don't think we lost because of how Atletico played.

anyway, sh1t happens, no real complaints, we are out, & irrelevant to the discussion about who will win it.

Atalanta
    I concur that Liverpool are not likely to win the Champions League this year. Their inclusion in this thread is therefore odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Atletico Madrid
    Pure football hipster choices but if I was betting I'd get my money on Atalanta and Atletico. I think the one-off match format will suit both of them and it really throws things wide open.

Think Madrid might just turn things around and do for City too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not so much the scheduling that was the problem, more Atletico beating them home and away.

• Advertisement

Atalanta
    Pure football hipster choices but if I was betting I'd get my money on Atalanta and Atletico. I think the one-off match format will suit both of them and it really throws things wide open.

Think Madrid might just turn things around and do for City too.

Why Atalanta and Atletico in particular in terms of the one game format? They’re probably the most attacking and defensive teams respectively left in the competition.

I think as a general rule weaker teams benefit more from one game format.

Whats the story with the one off matches, are they in a neutral venue? Bit of a balls not having two legged ties as thats where much of the excitement comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lyon
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whats the story with the one off matches, are they in a neutral venue? Bit of a balls not having two legged ties as thats where much of the excitement comes from.

It's been played out in Lisbon, all games over like 2 weeks (if even)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Acosta

Man City
    Surprised with all the votes Bayern have. Bundesliga finished weeks ago. Fitness will catch them out.

just looking at the fixtures and it is properly crammed in, no wonder they couldnt have two legs. Its a pity the way some of the games are on at the same time as each other all with 8pm kick offs, surely they could have done a 3pm, 6pm then 8pm kick off like the PL did

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Real Madrid
    It's absolutely there for PSG if they want it. The other half of the draw is a lottery where it's impossible to see anyone coming out of it in good shape. The PSG half have one less game to play than whoever gets through from Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern

No-one is going to be going into the games fit and flying, so the lack of training is something that can be overcome in a short burst of games. Less games might be advantageous.

It comes down to how much they want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its a pity the way some of the games are on at the same time as each other all with 8pm kick offs, surely they could have done a 3pm, 6pm then 8pm kick off like the PL did

It looks reasonably spaced out from the quarter finals on. The games on the 7th and 8th being at the same time is the only bad thing I see.
    Especially as the 8th is a Saturday, no reason not to have one game at 5pm.

05/08 4 x Europa L16 Second Legs - 2 timeslots.
    06/08 4 x Europa L16 Second Legs - 2 timeslots.
    07/08 2 x CL L16 Second Legs - Same Time.
    08/08 2 x CL L16 Second Legs - Same Time.

10/08 Europa 2 x Quarter - Same Time.
    11/08 Europa 2 x Quarter - Same Time.
    12/08 CL 1 x Quarter.
    13/08 CL 1 x Quarter.
    14/08 CL 1 x Quarter.
    15/08 CL 1 x Quarter.
    16/08 Europa 1 x Semi.
    17/08 Europa 1 x Semi.
    18/08 CL 1 x Semi.
    19/08 CL 1 x Semi.
    21/08 Europa Final.
    23/08 CL Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Atalanta
    Man City will win it in devastating fashion.

Lyon
    dfx- wrote: »
    It's absolutely there for PSG if they want it. The other half of the draw is a lottery where it's impossible to see anyone coming out of it in good shape. The PSG half have one less game to play than whoever gets through from Madrid/City/Barcelona/Bayern

No-one is going to be going into the games fit and flying, so the lack of training is something that can be overcome in a short burst of games. Less games might be advantageous.

It comes down to how much they want it.

No Mbappe no chance,
    Bayern will win it in my opinion there extra game is a benefit to them there 3-0 up and get a game to get fitness and sharpness back ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon City will win it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement