Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I love the Taycan, if it were done right. I love the charging speed and the 2 gear system.
    Just the fact that its much more expensive than the equivalent Tesla, and slightly slower off the line, with half the range, I couldnt have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Taycan Turbo. Staggering performance!

6290-FF3-F-0529-4541-95-F2-879-BC393527-F.jpg
    D644107-F-324-F-4-DE8-89-A1-2-E91-F9-F2-D684.jpg
    637-F24-AF-1-E8-A-43-E7-B860-CA61-D61-A6486.jpg
    C562-EEF2-5-AA9-4-DC4-B20-D-7-A6017-CCB325.jpg
    05016-B4-A-7-C89-483-A-BFF1-0-DFE0-E690589.jpg
    4872-CE45-7-DB4-42-A9-BC28-CB4-A903-BE168.jpg
    DE95-EFD3-70-FB-45-F6-A721-E14075196215.jpg
    8-DB46-E82-06-DC-4368-83-D6-C864736-B9502.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hubba

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The big test is what you look like pulling up to a tesco express for milk and bread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Was there a big delivery of Taycans in the past few months. I saw one in all of 2020 and I swear I've seen 3 or 4 in the past month

Lockdowns obviously play into that a bit, I'm guessing some folks are enjoying their newfound freedom with their electric supercars :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Was there a big delivery of Taycans in the past few months. I saw one in all of 2020 and I swear I've seen 3 or 4 in the past month

Lockdowns obviously play into that a bit, I'm guessing some folks are enjoying their newfound freedom with their electric supercars :)

I’m bored of them now as I live near the Porsche centre.
    I may not get actually bored if I owned one though.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’m bored of them now as I live near the Porsche centre.
    I may not get actually bored if I owned one though.

I understand all those words but that statement makes no sense to me :)

I understand all those words but that statement makes no sense to me :)

I see them daily.
    Nice car.

Would I swap my Model S Performance for one ………. Depends..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN wrote: »
    Taycan Turbo. Staggering performance!

About the same performance as a Tesla Model 3 P costing half the money :p

Needless to say I'd rather have the Porsche myself if money was no object. Looking forward to your review Mark, you outdid yourself with the Enyaq - really enjoyed that one.

Thanks Unkel, much respect with that coming from you. I have a lot of time for the M3 performance but this has surpassed everything. He’s biased of course but I chatted to the CEO of Joe Duffy today and he simply said “I’ve driven everything over the years and this is honestly the best car I’ve driven”.

After spending a few hours with it, I can’t disagree. Mad money for most of us I’m sure but unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MarkN wrote: »
    Thanks Unkel, much respect with that coming from you. I have a lot of time for the M3 performance but this has surpassed everything. He’s biased of course but I chatted to the CEO of Joe Duffy today and he simply said “I’ve driven everything over the years and this is honestly the best car I’ve driven”.

After spending a few hours with it, I can’t disagree. Mad money for most of us I’m sure but unreal.

Is it not too fast though? The Turbo, I mean.

My Model 3 LR has 100% usable performance. I borrowed a M3 P last week and found it a little more difficult to drive smoothly. I would possibly adjust to not using all of the throttle travel but then....what's the point? It's not like anyone in their right mind is going to be tracking an EV regularly.

By contrast, I could totally justify owning a GT2 RS MR if I had the money, even though it's even less road-usable that the Taycan Turbo/Turbo S.

Big battery normal Taycan seems like the sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Very nice porsche
    Any pictures of the back seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I'd have one (if I could afford it) over any Tesla.

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Very nice porsche
    Any pictures of the back seats

Just screen grabs from the film I have.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-10-at-09-47-31.png
    Screen-Shot-2021-06-10-at-09-47-50.png
    Screen-Shot-2021-06-10-at-09-48-03.png
    mule images free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Lumen wrote: »
    Is it not too fast though? The Turbo, I mean.
    My Model 3 LR has 100% usable performance. I borrowed a M3 P last week and found it a little more difficult to drive smoothly.
    (Snip)
    Big battery normal Taycan seems like the sweet spot.

Agreed on all points. It will take some time, but eventually 0-60 times will all just morph into the 4-6s range, in the interest of cost price, and the only people it’ll matter to will be on forums and so on.

I wonder how many people have a M3 LR or P and shout about the acceleration to their mates but can’t fit their family in the back remotely comfortably. Acceleration is almost completely unusable in the real world, as you’re limited by the pace of the car in front of you.

A 4sec car is blindingly quick by any measure.
    the Turbo or Plaid are just party-piece cars.

The base model Taycan is being bought for €120k by lads who used to spend €170k on a base 911. It’s a relative bargain.

the acceleration is immaterial to buyers who would gladly save a tonne of money for a base model thats still feels faster than anything they’ve ever driven

sk8board wrote: »
    I wonder how many people have a M3 LR or P and shout about the acceleration to their mates but can’t fit their family in the back remotely comfortably.
    My family fits fine into the back of a M3, but I think the Taycan has worse headroom.

The e-Tron GT or Taycan CT seem to fit the bill for practicality, although I just don't like 5m long, 2m wide cars. I would like to see a shorter and narrower 2+2 Porsche EV, a proper electric 911. The Taycan is still ugly to my eyes. Maybe we'll have to wait for power density to improve.

The e-Tron GT or Taycan CT seem to fit the bill for practicality, although I just don't like 5m long, 2m wide cars.

Why not? A 10m2 5 door, 5 adult seats hatchback with immense performance. That's the perfect family car for me :D

unkel wrote: »
    Why not? A 10m2 5 door, 5 adult seats hatchback with immense performance. That's the perfect family car for me :D

PITA to park, and I don't like driving wide cars on narrow roads (which they are where I live).

I've also only got a few years until taxi driver duties tail off and the little scrotes can move themselves around the earth independently.

Dear Porsche, one of these please, but 100k.

Everrati Porsche 964 Signature 2021 UK review
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/first-drives/everrati-porsche-964-signature-2021-uk-review

PITA to park, and I don't like driving wide cars on narrow roads (which they are where I live)

Both sure are drawbacks. That said, parking anything substantially bigger than a Golf is an issue these days and I don't mind driving a wide car on a narrow road so much, but it severely limits you driving it fast (yet safely). An issue I never came across until I got my Porsche 928. It takes a good bit of the fun away.
    I've also only got a few years until taxi driver duties tail off and the little scrotes can move themselves around the earth independently.

:D It seems I live in your world too :D

Got my eldest a cheap EV, she only just turned 17 and doesn't even sit her theory test until next month, but you can clearly see my intentions there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Taycan looks lovely & i'm sure the build quality is amazing, but the entry model range and performance isn't staggering for the money. On the other hand I've been driving a model 3 Performance for 18 months and 44kms.

Its my work car driving onto building sites, can ft all my engineering gear ( levels, tripods, hardhats etc) in the boot alongside my spare wheel

Its my family car comfortable with 3 kids, 9,12,13 years in the back , all the soccer gear for our u13 soccer team as well, balls cones, jerseys etc etc and all the range i'll ever need always 400 + kms

Its also my weekend performance car and can comfortably keep up with more expensive german & exotic sports cars

Taycan would be a lovely second car but unfortunately i can't afford both:D

unkel wrote: »
    :D It seems I live in your world too :D

Got my eldest a cheap EV, she only just turned 17 and doesn't even sit her theory test until next month, but you can clearly see my intentions there :p

What? You aren't gonna let her drive the Tesla? ;)

What? You aren't gonna let her drive the Tesla? ;)

This is the Porsche thread. The Tesla is a cheap EV. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

As a Taycan 4S owner, I'm happy to answer any questions folks have about this vehicle.

As a Taycan 4S owner, I'm happy to answer any questions folks have about this vehicle.

Can I drive your car? :D

Why did you spend considerably more than the Tesla equivalent for a car with less performance and less range, along with no charging network?

That's my question for anyone mad enough to buy a taycan!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Why did you spend considerably more than the Tesla equivalent for a car with less performance and less range, along with no charging network?

Not answering for tigerbalm but there will be loads of people make that decision simply because its a Porsche.... badge.

Doesnt matter what Tesla's 0-60 time is. The fanboys will never understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ELM327 wrote: »

what are we calling the tesla equivalent? Model s?

and in irish terms is ionity not basically equivalent to the tesla charging network?

The 4S is the equivalent of model S LR.
    40k more expensive, when "options" are added in. Slower. Half the range. Less efficient.
    Ionity is not the same as the SuC network as they don't work as plug and play, are often broken etc. Not to mention more sparse.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    what are we calling the tesla equivalent? Model s?

and in irish terms is ionity not basically equivalent to the tesla charging network?

Like Ionity, exactly.

The only thing a Tesla has in common with a Taycan is that is can also go fast. They really are on a different level in physical terms. Tesla have some very cool features but Plaid aside, there just isn’t a comparison IMO.

They have nailed efficiency there’s no doubt but just like many petrol cars that are also quick don’t compare with a Porsche, this is exactly the same.

Advertisement