Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MarkN wrote: »
    Like Ionity, exactly.

The only thing a Tesla has in common with a Taycan is that is can also go fast. They really are on a different level in physical terms. Tesla have some very cool features but Plaid aside, there just isn’t a comparison IMO.

They have nailed efficiency there’s no doubt but just like many petrol cars that are also quick don’t compare with a Porsche, this is exactly the same.

Plaid doesnt exist. However the model S LR which does, is quicker than the 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Plaid doesnt exist. However the model S LR which does, is quicker than the 4s.

The sprint time is important but there is so much more to picking a car....

prestige/badge
    driving experience
    build quality
    fit and finish
    looks
    how it makes you feel

Lots of really subjective things but alot of which a Porsche will kick Tesla's ass!... the sprint time will be well down the list, particularly if there isnt much between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Plaid doesn’t exist? I must be dreaming so...

I’m not sure anyone is disputing speed figures. It’s the overall experience. It is not the same. The Audi etron GT is the same car, it still does not carry the same attributes.

KCross wrote: »
    The sprint time is important but there is so much more to picking a car....

prestige/badge
    driving experience
    build quality
    fit and finish
    looks
    how it makes you feel

Lots of really subjective things but alot of which a Porsche will kick Tesla's ass!... the sprint time will be well down the list, particularly if there isnt much between them.

Build quality and fit and finish for sure are in the VAG advantage, the rest are pretty subjective.

MarkN wrote: »
    Plaid doesn’t exist? I must be dreaming so...

I’m not sure anyone is disputing speed figures. It’s the overall experience. It is not the same. The Audi etron GT is the same car, it still does not carry the same attributes.
    Has one been delivered to a customer? It exists in musk's head right now.

Funny, i'd prefer the etron rs gt to the taycan. I prefer Audi to porsche anyway. In my dream car garage there's one audi (Q7 V12 TDI) and no porsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Why did you spend considerably more than the Tesla equivalent for a car with less performance and less range, along with no charging network?

That's my question for anyone mad enough to buy a taycan!

Cause he wanted a nice car not a piece of unreliable Chinese crap

Fair dues to the owner for shelling out and getting what he wanted, fk the begrudgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The 4S is the equivalent of model S LR.
    40k more expensive, when "options" are added in. Slower. Half the range. Less efficient.
    Ionity is not the same as the SuC network as they don't work as plug and play, are often broken etc. Not to mention more sparse.

being honest the model s, impressive as it is, is just a big hatch, its not the kind of car that you turn to look at is it.

The taycan is imo, add the brand prestige and the fit and quality i can see why someone will choose a taycan.

People will buy a taycan who would have never looked at a model s.

Ionity is not the same as the SuC network as they don't work as plug and play, are often broken etc. Not to mention more sparse.

Arent there basically the same no of ionity locations as tesla super chargers?

They arent plug and play but they are plug and tap a card its not that much of an inconvenience and i cant say they have ever been broken when i have needed them but thats anecdotal, is there data to suggest they break or are more unreliable than the tesla super chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

Why did you spend considerably more than the Tesla equivalent for a car with less performance and less range, along with no charging network?

That's my question for anyone mad enough to buy a taycan!

I think buying a particular car is a very individual decision that often doesn't translate well for other people. In my case, my previous car was a Porsche and my next car will be a Porsche. I like their cars and I like the ownership and buying experience. 0 to 100km/h times were not a buying consideration on this car for me. Its acceleration is adequate for my needs. I didn't consider a Tesla and know very little about them.

LillySV wrote: »
    :confused:
    Fair dues to the owner for shelling out and getting what he wanted, fk the begrudgers
    There's no begrudgers, to be honest I dont understand your post at all.
    These are all 6 figure cars or close to it.

Cyrus wrote: »
    being honest the model s, impressive as it is, is just a big hatch, its not the kind of car that you turn to look at is it.

The taycan is imo, add the brand prestige and the fit and quality i can see why someone will choose a taycan.

People will buy a taycan who would have never looked at a model s.

I think it is very visually appealing and I always got people staring/pointing etc, especially younger adults and tech nerds.

I do think the taycan is a nice looking car and it's one I've done a double take on "in the wild" but I'd have the audi variant over the porsche variant. I guess I've never been a porsche fan, they do nothing for me except the cayenne. Each to their own.

They arent plug and play but they are plug and tap a card its not that much of an inconvenience and i cant say they have ever been broken when i have needed them but thats anecdotal, is there data to suggest they break or are more unreliable than the tesla super chargers?

I've done the dance of 4 ionity chargers at a site before, only for them all to not work. Tesla chargers you just plug in and forget.

• Advertisement

:confused:

There's no begrudgers, to be honest I dont understand your post at all.
    These are all 6 figure cars or close to it.

He got what he wants... don’t be running it down, I bet it will be more reliable and have a better finish than a Tesla .

Personally I would buy a nice ice machine with that money but each to their own

They arent plug and play ...

Taycan does support plug & charge but I haven't seen it work on Ionity in Ireland yet. The card tap ain't too bad though and the 33c/kWH is acceptable for the speed. I wish there were more of them.

newsroom.porsche(.com)/en/2020/products/porsche-taycan-model-year-2021-new-features-plug-charge-functions-on-demand-head-up-display-21882.html

(can't post links yet)

Taycan does support plug & charge but I haven't seen it work on Ionity in Ireland yet. The card tap ain't too bad though and the 33c/kWH is acceptable for the speed. I wish there were more of them.

newsroom.porsche(.com)/en/2020/products/porsche-taycan-model-year-2021-new-features-plug-charge-functions-on-demand-head-up-display-21882.html

(can't post links yet)

hopefully my next car will be a taycan so i hope you stick around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Build quality and fit and finish for sure are in the VAG advantage, the rest are pretty subjective.

That’s exactly the point... purchase decisions, particularly cars, are very subjective in nature.... ICE and EV

If it was just a case of looking at a spec sheet then we’d have no need for all the different makes/models.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think buying a particular car is a very individual decision that often doesn't translate well for other people. In my case, my previous car was a Porsche and my next car will be a Porsche.

Very hard to beat a Porsche :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Tesla model we are talking about here is not made in China, comes from the US.
    No begrudgers here, just folk curious to the purchase decision

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whilst the comparison between the Model S and Taycan is superficially ridiculous, there are a couple of things quite Porschey about Teslas.

Firstly, they maximize every day usability without sacrificing performance. Porsches were always the most usable supercars. Secondly, they offer (at best) a somewhat elitist EV ownership experience, with rangers coming to your driveway to perform routine servicing and maintenance tasks, and charging stations unoccupied by Leaf-driving proles.

But that's where it ends. Whilst Porsches have been somewhat ruined over the years by pandering to the demands of international markets (notably in the packaging and the introduction of SUV/crossover monstrosities), they are still at heart pure German automotive engineering and design with a fundamentally different philosophy.

Elon said recently "all input is error", by which he meant that all functions which can be automated should be automated. To the sort of people who might still have a Faszination VHS tape sitting in their attic, that is blasphemy.

And for the non-enthusiasts, the badge just isn't po(r)sh(e) enough.

slave1 wrote: »
    The Tesla model we are talking about here is not made in China, comes from the US.
    No begrudgers here, just folk curious to the purchase decision

Yea Tesla owner folk who are happy to question purchase decision for the Porsche but don’t like their purchase decision challenged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yea Tesla owner folk who are happy to question purchase decision for the Porsche but don’t like their purchase decision challenged :)

In this case you were simply being corrected in your wrong assertion the Model S is built in China.

I'm not sure the US-built thing helps much though. The new Corvette is by all accounts very good but I don't see it stealing many 911 sales.

don’t like their purchase decision challenged :)

Calling their car a piece of Chinese crap is a bit different from challenging someone's purchase decision

We're all about having a robust discussion here (without that sort of trolling) and Porsches are better than Teslas in many different ways (see KCross' post above). But let's not forget: if there hadn't been a Tesla Model S 10 years ago, there would be no Porsche Taycan today...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone watch the crash test for the Porsche.
    Seat safety in the rear is comprised with the rest actually stating that it has a higher chance of children/infant injury or death.

What’s that about?

unkel wrote: »
    But let's not forget: if there hadn't been a Tesla Model S 10 years ago, there would be no Porsche Taycan today...

Something that Porsche & VW acknowledge.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/porsche-rd-boss-why-tesla-not-direct-rival

unkel wrote: »
    Calling their car a piece of Chinese crap is a bit different from challenging someone's purchase decision

We're all about having a robust discussion here (without that sort of trolling) and Porsches are better than Teslas in many different ways (see KCross' post above). But let's not forget: if there hadn't been a Tesla Model S 10 years ago, there would be no Porsche Taycan today...

This should be called the “say what you want about any other car, as long as you don’t say anything bad about Tesla” thread. Listen lads I’m glad your so defensive for Tesla and their cars, I’m sure Elon musk is really appreciative haha . Listen fair dues to Elon for trying , and I’m sure I’ll be looking at his offerings in afew years time when electric cars have been perfected abit more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla owner here and not defensive at all, I'd openly say the segment likes of Porsche, Audi, Lexus are streets ahead in terms of build quality inside and out, love to see any EV on the road

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

This reviewer was so impressed he ordered one….The cross turismo.

I would have mine in brown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

slave1 wrote: »
    Tesla owner here and not defensive at all, I'd openly say the segment likes of Porsche, Audi, Lexus are streets ahead in terms of build quality inside and out, love to see any EV on the road

Agree. The quality of the interior is better on my 2014 F10 520d than my Tesla but I still prefer the EV.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Agree. The quality of the interior is better on my 2014 F10 520d than my Tesla

Only a delusional Tesla fanboi would deny this. The quality of the interior of my Tesla Model S is far behind most of the cars I have owned in the past 10 years (i.e. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar)

Early Model S also have questionable reliability in the form of battery packs, motors, door handles, media computer, but these issues no longer exist in more recent cars

That Taycan Cross Turismo might not be a looker, but it's arguably the only high performance family car (large, 5 seats, 5 doors) that's better than a Model S, I want one too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm probably very much in the minority but I've always had a thing for estate style cars. I'd quite happily take the Taycan Cross over the regular version

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I'm probably very much in the minority but I've always had a thing for estate style cars. I'd quite happily take the Taycan Cross over the regular version

Same here and I reckon that it will outsell the regular taycan overall but maybe not in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Same here and I reckon that it will outsell the regular taycan overall but maybe not in Ireland.

I agree, I think a lot of the appeal of the Taycan is the charging speed and Ionity network. It's really more of a grand tourer than track car (ahem, E-Tron GT). So I think a lot of people are buying it because they want to be able to drive long distance with ease, as well as wanting a Porsche

The cross turismo is even better for long journeys, so I think it'll be a big seller in Europe where people can pack up the family and drive from Germany to the South of Italy or Spain for a holiday

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement