Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wouldn’t depend on Ionity, either throttled cabinets or on Friday I was out at the Athlone hub and lovely eTronGT trying to use them but they were all out of action, I directed driver the eCars high power unit in Athlone so hopefully they got sorted there (albeit at “lower” speed)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

slave1 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t depend on Ionity, either throttled cabinets or on Friday I was out at the Athlone hub and lovely eTronGT trying to use them but they were all out of action, I directed driver the eCars high power unit in Athlone so hopefully they got sorted there (albeit at “lower” speed)

Interesting. I charged there with my Taycan at 18.30 on Friday with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wouldn't discount user error

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Interesting. I charged there with my Taycan at 18.30 on Friday with no problems.

App or card out of interest?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

App or card out of interest?

Porsche Charging Service RFID card.

Charging details:

Screenshot-2021-06-13-at-15-26-00.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Goose81

Lumen wrote: »
    That is absolutely not true.

The fastest, most expensive Model 3 is much cheaper and much faster than the cheapest Taycan, and also has more range, better efficiency and more exciting driver aids. All Model 3s have more interior space and are more efficiently packaged (shorter and narrower). The Model 3 LR is also faster than the cheaper Taycans, and it tows.

The Tesla also has a more favourable public image. Small children will gasp and point. Adults will let you out of junctions.

In the Taycan's undisputed favour is interior quality, mechanical engineering superiority, kerb appeal, better handling/driving experience, consistent acceleration and zero involvement of Elon Musk.

Is that a piss take or are you serious? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I can confirm for the 6 hours I drove one, plenty notice the Porsche too.

Irish drivers generally don’t let you out in any type of flash car, it doesn’t have to be a Porsche.

MarkN wrote: »
    I can confirm for the 6 hours I drove one, plenty notice the Porsche too.

Irish drivers generally don’t let you out in any type of flash car, it doesn’t have to be a Porsche.

Odd , I wouldn't consider the Tesla a fancy car or an enthusiasts car at all, horrible looking things. I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to let one in , I would the Porsche to get a better look though.

Op saying small children will gasp and point at a Tesla lol, dream on. Maybe a Ferrari or Lamborghini with the noise or even the Porsche they would.

unkel wrote: »
    The quality of the interior of my Tesla Model S is far behind most of the cars I have owned in the past 10 years (i.e. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar)

If I remember correctly from your contributions to the classics forum, most of your cars you quote above are 25 / 30 years and were old rough enough barges, are you really saying the quality of materials in modern Tesla is poorer than a rough 30 year old Porsche / Mercedes?

The materials used in any sort of Merc 30 years ago would surpass a lot of modern cars, not just a Tesla. Look at some of the stuff Deane put up for reference. The technology has moved on but don’t confuse that for actual materials.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Goose81 wrote: »
    Odd , I wouldn't consider the Tesla a fancy car or an enthusiasts car at all, horrible looking things. I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to let one in , I would the Porsche to get a better look though.

Op saying small children will gasp and point at a Tesla lol, dream on. Maybe a Ferrari or Lamborghini with the noise or even the Porsche they would.

Is this not a bit childish? Letting someone in is about keeping traffic moving and flowing and having a small bit of manners :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    If I remember correctly from your contributions to the classics forum, most of your cars you quote above are 25 / 30 years and were old rough enough barges

Eh no. I've had a couple of classic Mercedes W201 cars (as in over 30 years old, vintage. Not rough barges :rolleyes:) but all the other cars were relatively new (most around the 10 years old or so)

Op saying small children will gasp and point at a Tesla lol, dream on.

Yep. Absolutely everywhere you go. Still surprises me if I'm honest. Any other Tesla Model S owner will confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep. Absolutely everywhere you go. Still surprises me if I'm honest. Any other Tesla Model S owner will confirm this.

It's true!! I've a model 3 and I'm baffled by kids looking at it, pointing at it even coming over to tell me it's a Tesla!!
    It must be something with the social media craic or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I actually had a young lad with crutches almost fall, as he turned around pointing at the Tesla passing by. He lifted one crutch & you could hear him shouting "dad, dad, look..........a Tesla".

It wasn't here either so it's a universal thing with young kids.

A €100k Merq or BMW could cruise by, unnoticed.

Mrs. K actually had kids follow her on bikes a few times, while she was in the Ioniq, shouting "it's a Tesla", when they realised it was electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »

Nonsense, there would no doubt be a bunch of people giving one the middle finger :D

There does seem to be a lot more interest in Tesla's from the younger generation. I agree it's probably down to social media and Tesla's somewhat outspoken CEO

In other news, can we go back to talking about Porsche's, and how likely you are to be shown the middle finger while driving a Taycan

As long as it's from those boy racers in the Fiesta with an exhaust kit who you left in your dust then it's okay :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I actually had a young lad with crutches almost fall, as he turned around pointing at the Tesla passing by. He lifted one crutch & you could hear him shouting "dad, dad, look..........a Tesla".

Mrs. K actually had kids follow her on bikes a few times, while she was in the Ioniq, shouting "it's a Tesla", when they realised it was electric.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D bul****....tesla ...ugly unreliable cars..........who da fuk would be turning around nearly falling to look at one....the model 3 ...ugly as sin....absolutely disgusting....model s..... kind of like a mondeo or something of that calibre....you would not think it is anythign special to look at. model x....a bigger version of the s.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve had the same experience, groups of kids (teenagers mostly) coming to look at the car at junctions and shouting Tesla at me like some kind of chant, I have Sentry footage of families (parents included) having a walk around in car parks, it has attracted large groups of kids when I do school pick-up and it cost me half an hour in Aldi recently as several people (not kids) came over to look at the front trunk and FWDs.

It’s definitely not a reason to buy one (not for me anyway) but there’s no denying that they resonate more with younger people than traditional ICE cars, even expensive brands like Porsche. Tastes are individual but if you think they’re nothing to look at, remember that people used to love LPs years ago and couldn’t understand why anyone would want to listen to tape :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Great video, I think I might have seen you speeding up the M1

It's an incredible looking car, real head turner :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Bizarre, no hate on Tesla I like ev's but Tesla's aren't fast (well the average one in Ireland you see arent) and don't look nice as cars, to me they wouldn't have any prestige at all and make no noise so I don't see what kids would be attracted by them.

They are 10 a penny, I pass at least 20 a day where I'm living and wouldn't even look twice, if the Porsche passed I would look.

I understand the attraction if people do stop you and point though, it's a nice feeling. I get it when I'm on my bike, grown men asking me about it, it's funny.

I'd prefer a one of those new Honda mini ev's that look old school over any Tesla. Pity they are so overpriced for what they are though

MarkN wrote: »

Lovely car, fancy a race? :)

Bizarre, no hate on Tesla I like ev's but Tesla's aren't fast (well the average one in Ireland you see arent) and don't look nice as cars, to me they wouldn't have any prestige at all and make no noise so I don't see what kids would be attracted by them.

They are 10 a penny, I pass at least 20 a day where I'm living and wouldn't even look twice, if the Porsche passed I would look.

I understand the attraction if people do stop you and point though, it's a nice feeling. I get it when I'm on my bike, grown men asking me about it, it's funny.

I'd prefer a one of those new Honda mini ev's that look old school over any Tesla. Pity they are so overpriced for what they are though

Again, personal choice.
    I spent enough time on crotch rockets to appreciate them but don’t own any nowadays. I was actually driving motorcross bikes before I could drive a car!

Couldn’t commute on one anymore. Other drivers!

Tesla's aren't fast

You've obviously never driven one :p

The slowest, cheapest Tesla does 0-60 in a bit over 5s.

The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s). This is faster than any hyper car ever made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, anyone. Faster than a Formula 1 car. If you do a launch, your head will smash against the headrest if you don't brace yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone that begins a sentence with "teslas aren't fast" has clearly displayed the meaning behind "better to let the world think you're a fool, rather than open your mouth and confirm it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s).

Obviously a very fast car but it will not do 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds. They measure it already moving for some reason. So maybe 5 to 60 in under 2 seconds.

Mr Q wrote: »
    Obviously a very fast car but it will not do 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds. They measure it already moving for some reason. So maybe 5 to 60 in under 2 seconds.

Your talking about the 1 foot roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I understand the attraction if people do stop you and point though, it's a nice feeling.

I actually don't like some of the attention driving the Tesla attracts. Sure, it's funny when kids look & point, often brings a smile to my face. It's often nice to blend in too - that's usually not possible in the Tesla.
    I get it when I'm on my bike, grown men asking me about it, it's funny.

Have had that too, often from older gents who yearned for the days of old when they had bikes, or always wished they had a bike :pac:.
    The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s). This is faster than any hyper car ever made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti

I'd have any of those in preference to a Tesla, if it wasn't for their cost, impracticality & of course, environmental concerns :pac:.
    It doesn't matter how quickly an electric launches, they'll never have that visceral & engaging feeling an ICE can evoke, like a mechanical watch over a quartz, or digital music media over vinyl etc.

Times have changed though. 90% of kids turn to look at a silent EV, while a burbling v8 can roll by most, unnoticed.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Anyone that begins a sentence with "teslas aren't fast" has clearly displayed the meaning behind "better to let the world think you're a fool, rather than open your mouth and confirm it"

I drive a BMW S1000RR, 200bhp and it weighs about 180kg, a regular Tesla isn't remotely fast, so it's actually you that are the fool lol.

The bike would make an absolute joke out of one. The fast one would be a good test 0-60 and that's about it, it would be game over after.

https://youtu.be/GA-7KpW8eKw. Go to 3:40 and that's the fast Tesla, I've never even seen one on the roads here. Does one actually exist in Ireland?
    You've obviously never driven one :p

The slowest, cheapest Tesla does 0-60 in a bit over 5s.

The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s). This is faster than any hyper car ever made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, anyone. Faster than a Formula 1 car. If you do a launch, your head will smash against the headrest if you don't brace yourself.
    I don't need to drive one, it will be slow compared to what I'm driving.

Also what happens after 60, it's slows like a cart.

Saw one of the Porsche today, absolutely stunning car.

• Advertisement

What a load of tripe, 2 seconds lol .I don't need to drive one, it will be slow compared to what I'm used to. There's not a chance it does 0-60 in 2 seconds either, stop talking crap.

Wrong. The current Model S Performance is a lot quicker 0-60 than your race bike. Things have changed in the last decade. Petrol bikes are now fairly slow compared to electric cars.

Linky to independent site showing 2017 Tesla Model S 0-60 in 2.3s

Advertisement