Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Goose81

unkel wrote: »
    Wrong. The current Model S Performance is a lot quicker 0-60 than your race bike. Things have changed in the last decade. Petrol bikes are now fairly slow compared to electric cars.

Linky to independent site showing 2017 Tesla Model S 0-60 in 2.3s

Absolute lol, I had edited my post but watch this video and that's the fast Tesla. Are they quicker? Doesn't look like like, looks to me like it's gets absolutely demolished.

There's higher numbers than 60mph, the only reason it might be quicker to 60 is keeping the front wheel.on the ground and tyre grip.

Petrol bikes are fairly slow compared to electric cars lol, what an uneducated statement, you are literally just talking through your arse , you don't have a clue.

The only thing beating that bike is that new 2000bhp rimac electric supercar.

https://youtu.be/GA-7KpW8eKw 3.40

So, no.mate. it's actually you that are wrong and alot wrong at that

Note he also gives it what looks like. 10 foot headstart.

Out of curiosity, is there any of the fast Tesla's in Ireland or are the all the slow basic models? I'd love to see the fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your bike does 0-60 in about 3s, right? That's a lot slower even than the huge Tesla Model X P full size SUV 7 seater. Imagine that big bus outdragging you on your race bike at the traffic lights :pac: :p

The middle model Porsche Taycan as tested by MarkN here is also quicker than your bike, the top model a lot quicker and the base model is good bit slower. All 0-60 times.

unkel wrote: »
    Your bike does 0-60 in about 3s, right? That's a lot slower even than the huge Tesla Model X P full size SUV 7 seater. Imagine that big bus outdragging you on your race bike at the traffic lights :pac: :p

The middle model Porsche Taycan as tested by MarkN here is also quicker than your bike, the top model a lot quicker and the base model is good bit slower. All 0-60 times.
    No, it does it quicker than 3 seconds, 2.6 so pretty much the exact same as your beloved Tesla which would be 100 feet behind after 2 seconds past that speed

You clearly didn't watch the video I just posted where the bike beats the telsa (fast model) by about 2.5 seconds quicker over the quarter mile and rubbishes your literal lie of a claim that petrol bikes are slower than ev's.

Can you explain to everyone where you came up with the line " petrol bikes are slower than ev's since the 90's? " I'd love to hear it I'm sure other would to, where did you get this bull**** info or did you just make it up, which clearly you did because you enjoy lying.

Why won't you just admit you were talking crap Like why do you keep lying, I don't understand why you would bother.. do you have an issue with telling the truth or some compulsive impulse to lie because you love ev's so much?

You keep talking about 0-60 but thats exactly where Tesla's and ev in general fall down, they do 0-60 quickly and then are slower than **** off a shovel after that, hence the bike beating it by about 3 seconds over the quarter mile in the video.

So my point still stands, they are slow to me because what I drive is a different level of speed.

IL tell you what, I'm happy to race absolutely anyone on the ev forum over a quarter mile for cash and see who wins, bring whatever car you want haha

Do you have a Tesla unkel? You want a free 2 grand, pm me and let's go lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've a model 3 performance and it will do 60 in just over 3 seconds.
    Anyone who thinks that is slow obviously has no idea of speed.

Go on to YouTube and compare any Tesla in a rolling race where they are travelling at 50mph and then it's foot to the floor. The lack of gearbox means the pickup is instant and that normally means bye bye to whatever is against it.

Again if you make a claim that "they're slow" then there's no hope for you.

https://youtu.be/vep3GSXBGfs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Not being the fastest thing ever doesn't make them slow. And I've never heard a biker say they drive their bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

EVs have completely different powertrain dynamics which upturns conventional reasoning about power and speed.

With an ICE road car it makes sense to buy a car with more peak power than you need, because then you get more grunt at lower RPMs. ICE road cars are often crippled by gearing issues, either because they are geared for top speed or because the wrong gearbox has been used for reasons of packaging or profit - see the epic moaning about the Cayman GT4 for instance.

EVs have almost flat power curves and a single gear (OK, that's more complicated on the Taycan), so you always have all the power and don't need to downshift before an acceleration, e.g. when overtaking.

Consequently, whilst Porsche have never biased its cars towards acceleration (fast enough is fast enough), peak power matters even less with the Taycan. Several respected journos (notably Chris Harris) have remarked that the Turbo S is just too fast.

Look at these power curves from a Taycan 4S and 911 Carrera S (991.2 I think but doesn't really matter).

Driving a Taycan 4S must be like driving a Carrera S at 5500rpm everywhere, except in complete silence.

Taycan 4S (apologies for the video screenshot, it's all I could find)
    image.png
    Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si_6Lv881ZU&t=814s&ab_channel=WestCoastSupercarsandClassics

Carrera S
    wd0zik89bzscreenshot-1.png
    Source: https://www.porscheboost.com/content.php?13009-Yes-the-2020-911-(992)-Carrera-is-underrated-Before-After-Shiftech-dyno-results-showing-400-hp-baseline-482-hp-tuned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Excellent post.

I’m in an eTron GT this week and it’s interesting to compare it to the Taycan for obvious reasons. It feels like a different car in many ways (it’s just standard output too).

I haven’t driven the S but even the Turbo, it actually is too fast. You would quickly lose your licence. Every other EV I’ve driven tops out earlier than most ICE cars. The Porsche just keeps on going. It is a phenomenal piece of engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

In everyday driving both the Turbo and Turbo S deliver the same power. It is only in launch control that they really differ with the Turbo S (~80 hp and 200 Nm more).

I came from a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid to the Taycan 4S and I do notice the lower power a bit in certain driving situations. I'm plotting a move back to either the Turbo or Turbo S variant of the Taycan!

Screenshot-2021-06-16-at-08-21-45.png

Lumen wrote: »
    Driving a Taycan 4S must be like driving a Carrera S at 5500rpm everywhere

Great comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

Read through the various recent posts in this thread and find it amusing that people still want to compare who has the fastest machine. Does it not become a bit academic once you get past a certain 0-60 or 1/4 mile time? Because in real life when will it ever matter? Obviously with the exception of if you want to take Goose81's money that s/he is kindly offering if you do happen to have the fastest machine.

It looks to me like pretty much all of the high end evs (and even mid range ones) are going to be insanely fast from now on, and accelerate rapidly enough to get you into a lot of trouble very quickly so paper comparisons of the stated top speed / acceleration seem a little pointless.

Probably makes more sense to compare their abilities to fetch you home from the pub (whenever that is allowed), avoid a crash and generally be a nice place to while away the time you have to spend in them. On all of these fronts i think the super fast motorbike is not going to come out ahead.

The taycan looks like a nicer place to be (IMO) than the seat of an equally fast (or possibly faster) motorbike, so i'll have that please, at the expense of possibly not being the fastest vehicle on the road.

In fairness, I'll never own one, nor will I ever own a high powered motor bike, so feel free to ignore my ramblings!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well I still reckon the Spekky beats the Commodore hands done

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Nah those were the glory days of Apple 40 years ago. Their products have gone downhill ever since :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Goose81 wrote: »
    ...I like ev's but Tesla's aren't fast (well the average one in Ireland you see arent)...

"arent fast" is all relative though isnt it.

I think your throw away comment was to invoke a response from the fanboys, which you duly got, fair play! :)

In any normal mans language though a Tesla is fast in the context of other road going cars even supercars. To suggest they arent is a bit ridiculous, but I think you knew that! ;)

Your video was good though. Even the guy riding the bike (maybe its you!?) was impressed with the Tesla and feared it above all the other supercars... what did he say it was... "ballistically quick", "unbelievably quick off the line".... but your summary is, "they arent fast"... ok! :D

Now, back to EV's... the Taycan eh.... nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

I think I was passed by a Taycan with two bikes on the roof yesterday coming up from Portlaoise. Delighted to say that it wasn't doing the usual 100kph EV speed limit but clipping along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

and back to the taycans !! has anyone signed up for runway club on July 18th be interesting to compare some Evs to their older dino cousins and possibly even line up a taycan against a Tesla Perhaps, i'm hoping to go myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jordan191 wrote: »
    and back to the taycans !! has anyone signed up for runway club on July 18th be interesting to compare some Evs to their older dino cousins and possibly even line up a taycan against a Tesla Perhaps, i'm hoping to go myself

Never heard of that before. Very interesting. Is it expensive and does your insurance become null?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

mfceiling wrote: »
    Never heard of that before. Very interesting. Is it expensive and does your insurance become null?

I think it's around 250 quid, being run on weston aerodrome 1000m runway, cars sis by side, will probably be over a 100 performance cars there, and yes you'll have no insurance unless you have separate track day insurance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes I have. A few of us on the Tesla Facebook group have also signed up.

https://m.facebook.com/RUNWAYCLUBIRL/

KCross wrote: »
    "arent fast" is all relative though isnt it.

I think your throw away comment was to invoke a response from the fanboys, which you duly got, fair play! :)

In any normal mans language though a Tesla is fast in the context of other road going cars even supercars. To suggest they arent is a bit ridiculous, but I think you knew that! ;)

Your video was good though. Even the guy riding the bike (maybe its you!?) was impressed with the Tesla and feared it above all the other supercars... what did he say it was... "ballistically quick", "unbelievably quick off the line".... but your summary is, "they arent fast"... ok! :D

Now, back to EV's... the Taycan eh.... nice!

Ah I was only messing to get a response :pac:, the guy in the video has alot more skill than I will ever have. To get the bike to accelerate that fast you have to turn off all traction and wheelie control and feather the back brake as you are accelerating. If you screw it up the thing will flip over.

I was annoyed by the comment that electric cars have been faster than ice bikes for years though, it just showed complete ignorance on the part of the op who clearly doesn't have a clue What he is talking about.

My comments were more directed towards the normal Tesla's you see everyday on the road, they are quick but not really fast imo and I still stand by that comment but like I would say that about alot of cars. Depends on what your definition of fast is

Yeah you are right though as the guy in the video said those fast telsas are no joke though, what are they called, PD100?

Does anyone in Ireland have one, they have the ludicrous mode don't they?

Tbh though I would love an electric car, I think they are cool but I just wouldn't be into the Tesla's tbh. I think the Porsche is a way cooler car, regardless of spec etc. It has prestige that Tesla will never have tbh and if was a choice between a Tesla and a Porsche it wouldn't even be a choice.

Fair play to anyone in the thread lucky enough to afford the Porsche, absolutely stunning car and best of luck to anyone who's bought one.
    I think it's around 250 quid, being run on weston aerodrome 1000m runway, cars sis by side, will probably be over a 100 performance cars there, and yes you'll have no insurance unless you have separate track day insurance

Is it cars only allowed? Sounds like would be good fun

Ah I was only messing to get a response :pac:, the guy in the video has alot more skill than I will ever have. To get the bike to accelerate that fast you have to turn off all traction and wheelie control and feather the back brake as you are accelerating. If you screw it up the thing will flip over.

I was annoyed by the comment that electric cars have been faster than ice bikes for years though, it just showed complete ignorance on the part of the op who clearly doesn't have a clue What he is talking about.

My comments were more directed towards the normal Tesla's you see everyday, they are quick but not really fast imo and I still stand by that comment.

Yeah you are right though those fast telsas are no joke though, what are they called, PD100?

Does anyone in Ireland have one, they have the ludicrous mode don't they?

Tbh though I would love an electric car, I think they are cool but I just wouldn't be into the Tesla's tbh. I think the Porsche is a way cooler car, regardless of spec etc. It has prestige that Tesla will never have tbh and if was a choice between a Tesla and a Porsche it wouldn't even be a choice.

Fair play to anyone in the thread lucky enough to afford the Porsche, absolutely stunning car.

I think you fell for the same hook that you threw out also.

The fast Tesla’s are the Performance ones. There are many out there and on here. I have a 2014 P85+. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and 420bhp RWD.

After mine in 2015 came the P85D.
    P = Performance.
    D = Dual Motors.
    So 691 bhp and 0-60 in 3.1 seconds.

Then in 2016 came the P90DL
    L = Ludricious (paid option)
    762 Bhp
    0-60 in 2.7 seconds.

Then came the P100DL
    I think the performance is the same as the P90D.
    The L (Ludicrous is a 10k option).

The new plaid is 1050bhp with a 0-60 in 1.99 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Is it cars only allowed? Sounds like would be good fun

Just the quicker vehicles, so yeah, electric cars only :p.

.....only joking......:pac:

Gumbo wrote: »

The fast Tesla’s are the Performance ones. There are many out there and on here. I have a 2014 P85+. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and 420bhp RWD.

P = Performance.
    D = Dual Motors.

762 Bhp
    0-60 in 2.7 seconds.

Then came the P100DL

Nice car man, does the way they are geared limit them at all, for say a race purpose?

I.e in the video I posted the bike smokes the car after 60, will the new plaid smoke the bike hands down or will the power still be moreso in the 1-100mph range for the car still?

Nice car man, does the way they are geared limit them at all, for say a race purpose?

I.e in the video I posted the bike smokes the car after 60, will the new plaid smoke the bike hands down or will the power still be moreso in the 1-100mph range for the car still?

No idea. I’ve no interest in racing a bike.
    I wouldn’t see them as competition to each other and it’s a pointless exercise.
    A 50cc moped will leave most cars off the line in a traffic light Grand Prix.

Do you have a Tesla unkel?

Yes I do. 2014 Tesla Model S P85. Near identical to Gumbo's one. Fast but only RWD and with 3.9s nowhere near the acceleration of the current Tesla, or your bike.

And to just to put all the fake news about Tesla acceleration to bed, MotorTrend tested the new Model S Plaid. From standstill, the car reaches 60mph in 1.98s on VHT (drag strip surface) and 2.07s on a normal public road

Linky

The fastest ever production motorbike does this half a second slower (Hayabusa) from what I can find. And at that fair play to the rider for being able to hang on and not be swiped off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Gumbo wrote: »

P = Performance.
    D = Dual Motors.

762 Bhp
    0-60 in 2.7 seconds.

Then came the P100DL

You missed the unicorn P85DL 🀣 and the P100D is faster the P90DL. Seen it with my own eyes 2.4 secs and you notice the difference!!! Name another car you can get three kids seats in and do those speeds!!

Smck1983 wrote: »
    You missed the unicorn P85DL �� and the P100D is faster the P90DL. Seen it with my own eyes 2.4 secs and you notice the difference!!! Name another car you can get three kids seats in and do those speeds!!

I purposely ignored the P85DL as it was an after purchase add on so not many paid the 10k. Many sold and bought the P90DL as the 85DL couldn’t match the slightly better speeds of the 90 pack seemly. Drag Times done a good clip where he explained why he traded the P85D for the P90DL instead of paying for the add on to the 85.

P100DL. Another level alright. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Missed the P85DL+ too but I’m not sure whether the + has any bearing on speed. This was a short production run by Tesla with + suspension although they never badged it as a + and simply discontinued the + suspension build.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Missed the P85DL+ too but I’m not sure whether the + has any bearing on speed. This was a short production run by Tesla with + suspension although they never badged it as a + and simply discontinued the + suspension build.

My own is a P85+ model.
    Didn’t the P85D start life with insane mode too?

Tesla comments on the + model.

Performance Plus adds value to an already impressive handling vehicle by stiffening the suspension, tuning dampers and increasing lateral stiffness without sacrificing ride quality.

The Performance Plus suspension tune was developed with the driver in mind. Re-tuned dampers add a very comfortable, yet firm ride that help to transform the Model S into a driver’s car. The dampers work with an updated rear suspension, which boasts an array of new bushings that increase the lateral stiffness and help to spice up the back of the car without compromising comfort. And the steering response comes as a direct effect of the dampers and bushings, reducing the delay between the driver input and the vehicle response. This brings you more in tune to your Tesla, and the road beneath it. To tie your Model S Performance Plus to the road, the 21” wheels are wrapped in larger Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on the rear, which helps the driver unleash what the Model S Performance Plus is truly capable of; precision handling that allows the driver to maintain a desired trajectory without any correction.

Stabilizer bars – In a typical “performance car”, large stabilizer bars can corrupt the steering and degrade the ride; but not in Model S Performance Plus. Thanks to our low center of gravity, we have increased the stabilizer bar size front and rear without the negative side effects, allowing greater body control and more predictable handling.
    Damping – Tesla’s philosophy on damping is to maintain good handling behavior with good control, while also adhering to a supple ride. The damping characteristics available on the Performance Plus help to bring feedback from the road to the driver to enhance your driving experience, but still manages to encompass road undulations with ease.
    Bushings – Tesla focused their attention on increasing lateral stiffness at the rear suspension to improve steering and overall vehicle response. This has been achieved by new and improved compliance characteristics throughout the suspension, thus allowing the springs and dampers to work more efficiently.
    Tires – Performance Plus sports new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on a wider rear wheel, which allows its higher performance threshold to take advantage of the improved lateral stiffness of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So, about those Taycans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

Lumen wrote: »
    So, about those Taycans...

All charged up for a days driving ...

IMG-0506.jpg

Advertisement